Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
86.96%
20 86.96%
Knicks
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 11: DAL (6-5) @ NYK (3-9) | 103-106 loss
(11-15-2019, 12:10 AM)Davevoid Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:23 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Plus if you read on other basketball boards, most non Mavs fans question these things as well.

It's not fanboy outrage.

"Other message boards think this" isn't much of an argument. Most of the internet is mindless, insta-take venting. The world doesn't have the patience these days to endure the hard work involved in team building.
This, so much this.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the Mavs beat the Nuggets at their high castle by having 10 freaking players scoring in double figures. Carlisle was universally lauded as a wizard and we were supposedly ultra deep.

Now, two disappointing losses later, he should be fired and half of the roster put on waivers...

C'mon guys.
That's our only win this season against a team with a winning record. We haven't proved anything yet outside of beating the Nuggets. Our first 20 games of the season had a lot of gimmes in it so the expectations were to win 12 or 13 of those first 20. That can't happen when you go 4-3 against teams with losing records. Honestly we should have lost to Orlando and got really lucky there. We just haven't looked good since Green hit that buzzer beater to go to OT and the Lakers won.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:57 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:42 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:39 PM)Chrisjen Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This place is more toxic now than it was through the tanking years. It's crazy that such a high percentage of you guys just blame the coach. I just read through your reasoning and I don't see a compelling argument against the coach in the whole thread, just a bunch of venting based on a belief that what you would have done would work better.

Nah. Give me this coach, this roster and give them some time to sort some things out and I think we'll see this thing play pretty well. We've seen glimpses if it and we've also seen that it's a work in progress.

I'll watch them work it out and enjoy the process rather than expect a new, young roster to have it all immediately figured out.

Losses are frustrating, especially to bad teams, but losses are part of the process.
I think Carlisle is working through a new roster and just needs time.

BUT I  cannot for the life of me understand his Luka rotations for the 4th qtr.  Luka went out hot at then end of the 3rd and sits until 5:53 lthererh

He's been doing this for several games now....why sit him that long and then expect him to pick up right where he left off rolling into crunch time?
This is exactly my frustration. Had KP and Luka played the final 8-9 minutes and we lost, I would have been able to handle it much better. Leaving your 2 best players on the bench in a very needed game is crazy.

No good coaches play their best players the entire 4th quarter. They rest them to start the 4th and bring them in to close the game. We did the exact same thing in 2011.
Nobody is expecting or saying Luka or KP should play all 12 minutes in the 4th. It seems most want them in around the 8 minute mark, mainly Luka. The best players in the NBA don't come in at the 5:53 mark in the 4th. Luka is a top 10 player now and should get the same treatment. Luka shouldn't ever play the entire 4th, but a 20 year old superstar can definitely play 8 minutes of the 4th.

The game was winnable when Luka came back in.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:23 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Plus if you read on other basketball boards, most non Mavs fans question these things as well.

It's not fanboy outrage.

"Other message boards think this" isn't much of an argument. Most of the internet is mindless, insta-take venting. The world doesn't have the patience these days to endure the hard work involved in team building.
This, so much this.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the Mavs beat the Nuggets at their high castle by having 10 freaking players scoring in double figures. Carlisle was universally lauded as a wizard and we were supposedly ultra deep.

Now, two disappointing losses later, he should be fired and half of the roster put on waivers...

C'mon guys.

The things being criticised were criticised in the wins as well.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduNEbTt.../giphy.gif

Seth seems kinda sluggish.  Failed to catch another Luka pass. (he missed some in earlier games this year)
Like Reply

It's not fanboy outrage.

This, so much this.

C'mon guys.

There is no way you can convince Fifteenth and this Davevoid guy. They’ve been Rick Carlisle worshippers for a very long time. How does it feel now most agree with me Rick is the problem? Must hurt. Can’t ban me now
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:18 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

It's not fanboy outrage.

This, so much this.

C'mon guys.
That's our only win this season against a team with a winning record. We haven't proved anything yet outside of beating the Nuggets. Our first 20 games of the season had a lot of gimmes in it so the expectations were to win 12 or 13 of those first 20. That can't happen when you go 4-3 against teams with losing records. Honestly we should have lost to Orlando and got really lucky there. We just haven't looked good since Green hit that buzzer beater to go to OT and the Lakers won.

I don't think we've proven anything yet. And I don't think we've looked good either. I'm just saying this is a work in progress. And I'm saying it in the face of the "Rick is screwing this up" narrative.
Like Reply
Gawd.  The Knicks are such a bad team. What a terrible couple of losses.  The Mavs are nowhere near being a good team, and I’m not sure who on the roster outside of Luka is a keeper.

But Luka.  Jeez.  What a great player.  Magic, Larry, Jordan, LeBron level great.  Already the best player in franchise history.  So good. It’s amazing how bad the rest of the team is though. 

And KP flopping on a crucial late game possession to give up an easy bucket?  Then demanding the ball in the post and tossing up a brick. He’s not cut out for winning basketball. Soft doesn’t even begin to describe his game. Why in the world would the Mavs run that crucial possession through him. Idiotic.

Finally, Coach RC, your lineup and rotation decisions suck.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:19 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:57 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:42 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:39 PM)Chrisjen Wrote: I think Carlisle is working through a new roster and just needs time.

BUT I  cannot for the life of me understand his Luka rotations for the 4th qtr.  Luka went out hot at then end of the 3rd and sits until 5:53 lthererh

He's been doing this for several games now....why sit him that long and then expect him to pick up right where he left off rolling into crunch time?
This is exactly my frustration. Had KP and Luka played the final 8-9 minutes and we lost, I would have been able to handle it much better. Leaving your 2 best players on the bench in a very needed game is crazy.

No good coaches play their best players the entire 4th quarter. They rest them to start the 4th and bring them in to close the game. We did the exact same thing in 2011.
Nobody is expecting or saying Luka or KP should play all 12 minutes in the 4th. It seems most want them in around the 8 minute mark, mainly Luka. The best players in the NBA don't come in at the 5:53 mark in the 4th. Luka is a top 10 player now and should get the same treatment. Luka shouldn't ever play the entire 4th, but a 20 year old superstar can definitely play 8 minutes of the 4th.

The game was winnable when Luka came back in.

He had sat for probably over 15 minutes of live time by then and cooled down. If he stayed in to start the 4th at the rate he was going and how NYK started out, maybe we’re up 10 a couple minutes in.

Luka can still get a bit of a breather in the first half of the 4th without it having to start right at the beginning. And it definitely doesn’t have to be over 6 minutes of rest at this point in his career.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:24 AM)TheSportyChannel Wrote:

It's not fanboy outrage.

This, so much this.

C'mon guys.

There is no way you can convince Fifteenth and this Davevoid guy. They’ve been Rick Carlisle worshippers for a very long time. How does it feel now most agree with me Rick is the problem? Must hurt. Can’t ban me now

Who are you? I've never been a mod so I couldn't have ever banned you.

Regarding who I worship, it's certainly not a basketball coach.

Regarding how I feel about who agrees with you or me, I don't care. I'll say what I think, alone, against the rest of world and feel fine about it.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:24 AM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: There is no way you can convince Fifteenth and this Davevoid guy. They’ve been Rick Carlisle worshippers for a very long time. How does it feel now most agree with me Rick is the problem? Must hurt. Can’t ban me now

Ah, so that's the reason you were never heard of again on db.com, other than the ignore button, of course.

Good luck with your trolling, man, now go and annoy somebody else.
Like Reply
Lets try to keep the conversation on the basketball folks.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Okay, rant over.  Time to focus on the Raptors, should be a winnable game.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: ...

Hey SH, great stuff. I have a response but I'll have to type it out tomorrow.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:39 AM)mtrot Wrote: Okay, rant over.  Time to focus on the Raptors, should be a winnable game.

They are super scary. Beat the Lakers and the Clippers back to back on the road without Lowry or Ibaka.

Siakiam is like Giannis-lite. Mavs will have their work cut out for them.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_sydneymyers/status/...87232?s=21

Rick treating Luka likes he’s 41 years old. Look at the rest of the stars in the NBA
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:39 AM)mtrot Wrote: Okay, rant over.  Time to focus on the Raptors, should be a winnable game.

They are super scary. Beat the Lakers and the Clippers back to back on the road without Lowry or Ibaka.

Probably will be close again. Mavs play up and down the competition. Has someone seen them at this year? Do they play rather physical?

Mavs just struggle heavily with physical play against them.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:48 AM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: https://twitter.com/_sydneymyers/status/...87232?s=21

Rick treating Luka likes he’s 41 years old. Look at the rest of the stars in the NBA
Weird other stars play a lot when it matters, but what do we know.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 12:52 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Probably will be close again. Mavs play up and down the competition. Has someone seen them at this year? Do they play rather physical?

Mavs just struggle heavily with physical play against them.

I watched their games against the Lakers and Portland. Fred Vanvleet and Siakiam are the motors that keep the team running. They do play physical, especially down low. Boucher and Gasol make sure bigs have to work for everything they have and Siakaim plays like a mini-Giannis who barrels through the lane. Fred VV plays like a mix of Barea and JET in the games I've seen. The dude can just explode for 30. 

Keys for the Mavs are if anyone other than Luka can make a shot and if they can rebound against the Raptors big bodies. They're super long and lankynkey, like Orlando. I hope the Mavs come out motivated.
Like Reply
Sure, we have more talent than the Knicks and underperformed tonight yet again.

The issue though remains the overall talent level Imo. We‘ve extended/signed all these bench players and the result you will get is inconsistency.

Powell/Kleber/DFS aren’t significantly better than dudes like Morris/Taj/Randle. They just aren’t. If anything that’s the same mold of players so we can’t expect these rather even matchups to go in our favor more often than not.

For whatever moronic reason we’ve locked ourselves into all these contracts though for years.

80% of the blame is on the front office Imo for their work this last June/July. We had $30M but ended up without a third starter. They also didn’t set us up for the future with their complete neglect of picking up assets (Iggy + 1st attached, Harkless + 1st......both wings who could have helped now and the picks could have boosted our chances in trades).

Carslisle isn’t without his faults but he’s still the same coach he was for years. I’d happily move on from him in general but that would have nothing to do with his performances this year.
Like Reply
Randomness:

-Carlisle isn't without faults, but I'm not sure who I'd rather have coaching the team. He's not going anywhere unless Luka or KP (maybe) demand it and I'm not sure we've seen that level of attrition yet.
-Speaking of KP, it's cliche but this is going to take time. 20 months off, new coach, new system and going from being The Man to being Luka's sidekick is going to be an adjustment. I think those two will figure it out. I'd like to see more P&R action between them and I do wish Luka and the coaching staff would try to get KP more involved.
-Rotations have been weird and that's probably okay in the tanking years, but when you've got a lot of under performing players, you can probably help remedy that with consistent playing time/expectations.
-Who would you lock in your starting lineup. I think I'd go Wright, Maxi, DoeDoe to go along with Luka and KP.
-Speaking of disappointing: Seth Curry tops my list. It's still early in the season though.
-I do think there is a little bit too much Luka hero-ball, but that's a fine line to walk and you don't want to stunt his greatness. He's young and he'll figure it out.
-I wonder when Berea is going to be ready to get some more run?
-We do need a trade, I'm just not sure the assets are there for anything significant. It will not happen but I'd love Draymond Green on this team to help with defensive leadership, rebounding and toughness.
Like Reply