Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
86.96%
20 86.96%
Knicks
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 11: DAL (6-5) @ NYK (3-9) | 103-106 loss
Heart 
https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1194290003150393344

[Image: EJL4CEwU0AEIrQ0?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1194290003150393344

[Image: EJL4CEwU0AEIrQ0?format=jpg&name=large]

Luka is an Alien, most of the team is super average. Revenge game at New York, expect another bully ball game against us. 

Teams will get super physical with us all year, as that has been shown to be our weakness.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Luka is an Alien, most of the team is super average.

THJ and KP are the clear "anchors" so far this season.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Luka is an Alien, most of the team is super average.

We have to bear with this until Christmas when Carlisle starts closing in on a rotation.

His philosophy just doesn't work when building a new team. Guys needs consistency. But he is doing it every year. Mad egoistical tinkering.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:41 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

We have to bear with this until Christmas when Carlisle starts closing in on a rotation.

His philosophy just doesn't work when building a new team. Guys needs consistency. But he is doing it every year. Mad egoistical tinkering.

You keep repeating this arbitrary Christmas time, and just to keep letting Carlisle tinker. Only by Christmas will Santa Carlisle have the rotations set!

The only problem is that the Mavs will have played their 30th game by 12/26/2019. That is over 36% of the season gone. If a coach cannot figure out a rotation of who's the best guys to play with almost half of the season gone, then he should be fired. Its a ridiculous notion to accept that strategy, especially since it's already having an effect on how this team plays.

The Mavs are one of the worst first quarter performers in the entire league by a wide margin. They currently average 27.9ppg on 43% from the field, 35.8% from 3, which puts them 12th in the league at overall scoring, but 24th in FG%. This is also including their 40-25 opener against the Blazers, which is looking like an outlier so far.

The biggest problem is that they've been outscored in 7 of their 10 games in the opening quarter. The only reason why the Mavs are 6-4 (and could very easily be 8-2) is because of their incredibly strong 2nd quarters, in which the Mavs score the most points (33.5 per game) while being tied for the best rate in the league (52% FG). This shows that it takes the Mavs at least a quarter to find their rhythm. And its funnily enough its the 2nd quarter lineup with Brunson, Wright, with KP that are scoring all those points. They're +19 in 57 minutes so far this season, the 2nd best 3 man lineup only behind the Brunson, Wright, THJ lineup who are a shockingly +36 in over 72 minutes. Notice a pattern here? Seems like JB and Wright are leading the 2nd quarter charge.

Carlisle has to figure out the rotations by next week, not next month. And this is on top of integrating KP, which is something in my opinion he's also failed at so far early this season. And I'm actually one of the more ardent Carlisle supporters, but this is one his worst coaching jobs in a LONG time, and if it wasn't for his track record here he'd be in the hot seat.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 03:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

You keep repeating this arbitrary Christmas time, and just to keep letting Carlisle tinker. Only by Christmas will Santa Carlisle have the rotations set!

The only problem is that the Mavs will have played their 30th game by 12/26/2019. That is over 36% of the season gone. If a coach cannot figure out a rotation of who's the best guys to play with almost half of the season gone, then he should be fired. Its a ridiculous notion to accept that strategy, especially since it's already having an effect on how this team plays.

The Mavs are one of the worst first quarter performers in the entire league by a wide margin. They currently average 27.9ppg on 43% from the field, 35.8% from 3, which puts them 12th in the league at overall scoring, but 24th in FG%. This is also including their 40-25 opener against the Blazers, which is looking like an outlier so far.

The biggest problem is that they've been outscored in 7 of their 10 games in the opening quarter. The only reason why the Mavs are 6-4 (and could very easily be 8-2) is because of their incredibly strong 2nd quarters, in which the Mavs score the most points (33.5 per game) while being tied for the best rate in the league (52% FG). This shows that it takes the Mavs at least a quarter to find their rhythm. And its funnily enough its the 2nd quarter lineup with Brunson, Wright, with KP that are scoring all those points. They're +19 in 57 minutes so far this season, the 2nd best 3 man lineup only behind the Brunson, Wright, THJ lineup who are a shockingly +36 in over 72 minutes. Notice a pattern here? Seems like JB and Wright are leading the 2nd quarter charge.

Carlisle has to figure out the rotations by next week, not next month. And this is on top of integrating KP, which is something in my opinion he's also failed at so far early this season. And I'm actually one of the more ardent Carlisle supporters, but this is one his worst coaching jobs in a LONG time, and if it wasn't for his track record here he'd be in the hot seat.

You get me wrong, I don't agree with Carlisle's approach, I just repeat it because it is what he does every season since he is a Mavs coach. 

I'm not a Carlisle supporter. I just described what I see.

It's a young team that needs defined roles to succeed. You cannot freelance them like he does and expect success. 

That's my opinion.

Carlisle is a counter coach.

He is like a guy playing a video game on random choice in order to learn it all instead of thinking about a strategy.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 04:01 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

You get me wrong, I don't agree with Carlisle's approach, I just repeat it because it is what he does every season since he is a Mavs coach. 

It's a young team that needs defined roles to succeed. You cannot freelance them like he does and expect success. 

That's my opinion.

He is like a guy playing a video game on random choice in order to learn it all instead of thinking about a strategy.
Carlisle was featured on the Lowe Post pod today. Said he would like to get a more consistent rotation, but, given the current makeup of the roster, is not sure that's in the offing. Thinks it may be more valuable to be able to make adjustments as needed than to play a consistent rotation. Realizes it's hard on the players, but thinks they have handled it well. Not opposed to going the other direction if warranted.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 05:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: THJ and KP are the clear "anchors" so far this season.

That's my opinion.

Carlisle was featured on the Lowe Post pod today. Said he would like to get a more consistent rotation, but, given the current makeup of the roster, is not sure that's in the offing. Thinks it may be more valuable to be able to make adjustments as needed than to play a consistent rotation. Realizes it's hard on the players, but thinks they have handled it well. Not opposed to going the other direction if warranted.

Hey, good to see you (if you are the original) I recently shared the Lowe Post in the all things Carlisle thread.
Haven't listened to it. I prefer reading over podcasts and videos. 

Thanks for giving that feedback.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 03:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The biggest problem is that they've been outscored in 7 of their 10 games in the opening quarter.

I think that is quite logical. It is a consequence of the fact, that we only have two legit starters, while the rest are role players. That's why the opposing starters beat our starters. However, our bench is strong and we beat oposing benches.

Oh, Mavs really need to win this one. At least 4 out of next 5, because schedule so far looked like summer league compared to what we have end of November-December
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 05:22 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:41 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:  We have to bear with this until Christmas when Carlisle starts closing in on a rotation.

That's my opinion.

Hey, good to see you (if you are the original) I recently shared the Lowe Post in the all things Carlisle thread.
Haven't listened to it. I prefer reading over podcasts and videos. 

Thanks for giving that feedback.
You're welcome, SPM, and thanks for sharing the podcast. I enjoyed listening to it, but can't say it contained anything particularly groundbreaking.
Like Reply
Carlisle keeps messing with rotations. No shit. We have two legit starters. 
We get outscored in the first. No shit. We have two legit starters. 

Carlisle has his faults, mainly over relying on guys with big contracts, but some of the narratives you guys come up with to blame him are ridiculous.

(11-12-2019, 12:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: THJ and KP are the clear "anchors" so far this season.

That's my opinion.

thsnks for posting that. It should be obvious to people.
Like Reply
In all seriousness though, if the Mavs lose convincingly to the Knicks, is it time to hit the panic button just a little bit?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 11:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: is it time to hit the panic button just a little bit?

Nah. For me that comes if the Mavs are 13-17 or worse 30 games in. I have long felt that anything around 0.500 ball through 30 games would be great because then you have 50 games to finish the season getting better and making your run for the playoffs. 

To be clear I will be disappointed if the Mavs aren't better than that by quite a bit, but that is just because I see so much promise in this team already.
Like Reply
Gonna lose my shit if we lose to the knicks again. Can't handle another loss.
Like Reply
I have a feeling we'll play a close game and close it out properly. We tend to play to the level of our competition this season, with the occasional decisive late game push.
Like Reply
Gotta get this W. It's a must-win.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 12:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 11:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: is it time to hit the panic button just a little bit?

Nah. For me that comes if the Mavs are 13-17 or worse 30 games in. I have long felt that anything around 0.500 ball through 30 games would be great because then you have 50 games to finish the season getting better and making your run for the playoffs. 

To be clear I will be disappointed if the Mavs aren't better than that by quite a bit, but that is just because I see so much promise in this team already.

Thats a measured take. For me however, if the Mavs lose yet another game against "tied for worst team in the NBA" Knicks again, then my expectations for this team are going to fall quicker than the DOW in 08. Right now the Mavs haven't really played good basketball for about 5 games. They've had good moments for sure, but overall they've mostly played down to their competition.

Cleveland, Orlando, Memphis, Washington, Pelicans, Knicks, all were extremely close games for the majority of the time. Playoff hopefuls in the West have to beat those teams, preferably convincingly. 

Losing to the Knicks twice in a week would throw a giant wrench in the Mavs playoff plans. BUT as you say, this team has shown a lot of promise, and a 2nd half run where this team grows and figures it out and start to beat the good teams to make a playoff run isn't out of the question. But that just makes making the playoffs that much harder.
Like Reply
I'll be at this game. Need to come out in the first quarter and hit them in the mouth. It's gonna be a hostile crowd for sure. I'm assuming I'll have a beer or 2 thrown on me by the end of this thing
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 03:11 PM)matt6715 Wrote: I'm assuming I'll have a beer or 2 thrown on me by the end of this thing

Let us know how it goes!
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 03:11 PM)matt6715 Wrote: I'll be at this game.  Need to come out in the first quarter and hit them in the mouth.  It's gonna be a hostile crowd for sure.  I'm assuming I'll have a beer or 2 thrown on me by the end of this thing

You should go with a Dallas Porzingis jersey on!
Like Reply