Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
(09-26-2022, 11:01 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I don’t think of our 3rd PG as a #10 or 12 guy because the Mavs convinced me last year that they are much better with 2 of em on the court at all times. If I give that idea up, the roster looks perfectly balanced as is. 

Doncic      Dinwiddie   Hardy  
Bullock      Ntilikina      Dorsey        
F-Smith     Hardaway  Green          
Wood         Kleber        Bertans
McGee       Powell        Bingham

Well we actually get to develop some young guards especially when injury happens
Isn't that what so many people on here were begging for during the Rick years?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • MFFL
(09-26-2022, 11:01 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I don’t think of our 3rd PG as a #10 or 12 guy because the Mavs convinced me last year that they are much better with 2 of em on the court at all times. If I give that idea up, the roster looks perfectly balanced as is. 

Doncic      Dinwiddie   Hardy  
Bullock      Ntilikina      Dorsey        
F-Smith     Hardaway  Green          
Wood         Kleber        Bertans
McGee       Powell        Bingham
Theo
I also strong believe in the 2 playmakers/ballhandlers/scorers all the time thing.
This thread title needs to be changed.

It was BS misstatement the day it was first put on here. You said wait and see to August. That's come and gone long ago. Call it a day on this nonsense, as you said you would, and let's go on to something realistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
(09-29-2022, 07:37 PM)F Gump Wrote: ...and let's go on to something realistic.

All aboard the Tyreke Evans hype train.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Starting lineup 
Luka 
SD
Bullock 
DFS
McGee 

McGee is there to set the tone and play his 15-20 min a night and sit 4th quarters. Wood will play big minutes as the lone big and with Maxi. Hardaway plays big minutes and starts certain games depending on matchups

The lineup i most want to see though:
Luka
Bullock
DFS
Maxi
Wood

This is a big lineup we could run out there. All are good shooters
(07-15-2022, 07:01 PM)Smitty Wrote: Put me in the camp that believes Josh Green will be a good player this year. I’m actually less upset about the off-season, as I sip on my bourbon, because I’ve talked myself into a breakout season for the young fella.

What kind of bourbon was it because it worked! @"cow" anymore illicit substance abuse accusations?
(09-26-2022, 10:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This is all due to the offense being “unlocked” when we brought SD in. The offense wasn’t unlocked by getting a player off the team that disrupted what the team wanted to do and the demand he put on doing things his way. It wasn’t about the huge collective sigh of relief coming from all players involved, including from the inbound players who had a mess of their own they had to deal with on their previous team.

Some of the people who are complaining about this new approach are the ones who were pointing out how disruptive and needing to go Porzingis was for more than a year before that trade happened, and some of them were ridiculed around here nonstop, basically for figuring it out more than a year before anyone else. 

Just sayin'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Yeah we'll see how much of a blackhole Wood ends up being. Can he play within the offense and finish off of Luka? 
We were really, really good in the games where KP was hitting an above average amount of 3's and would actually drive towards the basket. 
Too often he'd brick wide open shots and do the weird post-crap that never worked. But I feel pretty confident Wood will figure that side of the ball out and we'll really click on offense with him out there.
More the defense I'm worried about. Should be a decent number of wide open layups and dunks when he plays the 5 just because he misses rotations.
(09-30-2022, 05:59 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: What kind of bourbon was it because it worked! @"cow" anymore illicit substance abuse accusations?

A lot of hype around Josh based on a scrimmage and Kyle Lowry whispering into his ear.  Once the season starts, the clock will strike midnight and our Josh will turn back into a pumpkin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BoredAssistant
(10-01-2022, 03:06 AM)cow Wrote: A lot of hype around Josh based on a scrimmage and Kyle Lowry whispering into his ear.  Once the season starts, the clock will strike midnight and our Josh will turn back into a pumpkin.

Very possible. Doing it in practice is a lot different than doing it during a game. If he can knock that shot down consistently it would open up driving lanes to make use of his passing skills and maybe have less contested finishes at the rim. Add his defense and on paper you can at least see an argument for what the finished product would look like.

I think it´s more a result of Cuban being cheap than the Mavs actually trusting the development of a young player, but either way Green will get a lot of (regular season) minutes. I also hope that in a year, where so many teams will intentionally try to tank for France, they´ll find minutes for Hardy against the bottom-dwellers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BoredAssistant
(10-01-2022, 03:06 AM)cow Wrote: A lot of hype around Josh based on a scrimmage and Kyle Lowry whispering into his ear.  Once the season starts, the clock will strike midnight and our Josh will turn back into a pumpkin.

"Kyle Lowry whispering into his ear."  Fair.
"Josh will turn back into a pumpkin."  Oof.  Hoping this isn't the case.  I don't care about percentages the first half of the season as long as he shoots.
If Green has a breakout year, do we have to go back and thank Bobby V for drafting him?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Maxi looks much stronger in the arms.
(10-01-2022, 10:23 AM)chaparral Wrote: If Green has a breakout year, do we have to go back and thank Bobby V for drafting him?

I’ll give him a kiss if he surpasses Desmond “better 2nd year stats than Klay Thompson” Bane, but I’ll be happy if he’s just a decent role player.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
I am now 100% confident that Green will be in the starting lineup eventually this year.

Spencer and THJ 6th/7th men and of course Wood will take the starting spot from McShaqtin eventually.

Luka - Green - Reggie - DFS - Wood
Spencer - Frank - THJ - Maxi - McShaqtin
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • MFFL
(10-01-2022, 12:39 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am now 100% confident that Green will be in the starting lineup eventually this year.

Welcome to the club.  Been writing about Green growing into a starter for quite some time.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, BoredAssistant, IamDougieFresh, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Tyler
(10-01-2022, 01:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Green growing into a starter

If he does, as you have predicted for a long time, then it totally changes the complexion of the roster in a hugely positive way.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MFFL, Reunion Mav
(10-01-2022, 01:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Welcome to the club.  Been writing about Green growing into a starter for quite some time.

OK, I'm a sucker. I haven't drained the Kool-Aid glass yet, but I am all-in on *not* trading him until we've seen what he can do for a month of the season at least.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BoredAssistant
(10-01-2022, 02:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If he does, as you have predicted for a long time, then it totally changes the complexion of the roster in a hugely positive way.

I've been thinking there would be at least a 20 minutes role for him this season that will be very productive.  I may have under estimated.  BTW, in games he played 20-29 minutes last year the old Josh was 12.75 points, 6.3 boards and 3.2 assists per 36 shooting .417 from three.  The team was 126/110 in O/D Rating.  Imagine what that looks like if new Josh holds.  I suspect it will take an injury for him to start this season.  I've been targeting him as an eventual Bullock replacement (either by trade or as his contract winds down).  He could also get a bigger role if Hardaway is dealt.  Where your post concerns me is that he plays good enough that some team insists on him being included in any big trade.  

The scrimmage and Jam confirm something I've been saying (and I think the national pundits are missing)... our bench is going to be unbelievable.  I don't think Maxi/Wood/THJ and Green will be a platoon.  But, they are all multi-position guys who will mix and match easily with the starters (and that's not even mentioning Powell and Bertans who have both been starters in the league).  Green joining that group as a significant on-court plus is huge.

I won't spend any time on Wood or any more time on Green because they look about as I expected.  I was REALLY impressed by McGee Saturday.  In calendar 2022 (regular season and playoffs), Powell, DFS, Bullock, Brunson and Luka was a really good lineup.  I don't see any real drop off from Brunson to Dinwiddie and I see McGee as a huge improvement over Powell (and as most know, I think Powell is valuable in the right role).  I think our starters will hold their own and then some and the combinations with bench players are going to be really strong as well.  The other thing that impressed me was Hardy.  If you forget all you think you know or presume about him and just watch the tape, he made some really nice plays.  I watched the 12 minute highlights and not the 40-something minute entire scrimmage, so I may have missed some bad plays.  But the ones he made...passes, 3's, mid-range.  The kid might have something.  He'll probably have to get his minutes from Frank (and the bench probably needs D more than O), but I could see Hardy having a role late in the regular season (which would also be huge for team building).
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, chaparral, Hypermav, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, MFFL, Reunion Mav
I would presume that the season will start with a depth chart looking something like this:

Luka - Frank - Hardy
Dinwiddie - Green - Dorsey
Bullock - THJ - Pinson
GK - Maxi - Bertans
McGee - Wood - Powell

If there are no injuries or trades, and presuming the development of players continues apace, the three smaller positions should look something like this at the end of the season:
Luka - Hardy - Dorsey
Green - Bullock - Frank
Dinwiddie - THJ - Pinson

...with Bullock and Frank getting more minutes at the expense of Green and Hardy in the playoffs.

What screams out to me most from that depth chart is that there's no way they don't make a trade. Too many bigs. Unless they give up on Wood and trade him at the deadline (which would probably be a package deal for a new starter, tbh), I don't see how they keep Powell's $11 mil at third string, and if he's playing, he's thieving minutes from someone whose benching grievously hurts the team.