Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
(08-03-2021, 06:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: DeRozan to the Bulls or a 3rd team?

I think they are pretty much set with Lonzo/Lavine as their starters and Caruso/Aracdiacono + White as the back-up combination. They need to keep Lavine/White apart and on paper have now a balanced offense/defense dynamic at PG/SG.

Don´t think you´ll have issues playing DDR at the 3. The defense would stink though. My goodnes.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 07:07 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I know DeRozan isn't a great 3 point shooter, but he is a damn good player. I'm surprised so many are against him here. He can flat out score. He was almost All Star last year. He's only 31. He averaged almost 7 dimes a game last season. He would instantly be our #2 offensively.

People just love their advanced stats. If you focus your whole energy on defense and wide open threes, because you cannot dribble, pass or make any contested jumpshot you can become a eFG god, with your ceiling of eight points per game.

That is not to say Bullock can´t have an important role, but we so desperately need to raise the talent level on this team and that sometimes means disregarding advanced stats.

If it worked that way, you´d see Seth Curry, Joe Ingles, Reggie Bullock, Dwight Powell and Daniel Gafford win the NBA championship.
Like Reply
As I look at the roster and play with lineups, it feels to me we need a PF.  I'm all for Dragic coming, but I really like Sterling Brown as a bench guard next to Brunson.  He's not a distributor, but he can get to the rim and convert unassisted attempts.  I'm envisioning something like WCS/Maxi/Someone/Brown and Brunson as the bench unit  Someone comes from among THJ, Bullock and DFS.

The other two from that trio start with Luka and KP.  I get we could use some shot creation, but we could also use some size and rebounding.  Recall they tried to draft Garuba, who would be a pretty good candidate for this role.  DeRozan could work in a lineup with four shooters, but I think I'd rather have someone bigger.  Not sure we can get to Collins (obviously that would be nice).  LM?  Nance?  Or, do you set your sights lower to Milsap or Niang.  I get that Finney "can" start at PF in a lineup with KP, Luka, THJ and Bullock and Dragic would slot to the bench bumping Sterling to the backup 3.  It just feels like a younger near starter level guy with some defensive chops is also needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 05:21 AM)Branduil Wrote: I'm not okay with only Reggie Bullock but I don't think that's the only move we'll make. If we can get Dragic, it won't be as good as getting Lowry would have been, but he should still be a solid, veteran secondary playmaker who already has a good relationship with Luka obviously. We will hopefully also add some forward depth with the TPE.

I forgot who said it, so many posts the last 24 hours. But to double down... Luka will not defer to someone else handling the ball (especially in crunch time) if he doesn't respect that person or view them as good enough. A lot of the reason JRich didn't work out? With Dragic I think the respect is there and would work on the court maybe even more so than someone slightly better (Lowry?) simply because of the relationship and trust. 

I also view Reggie Bullock as the new Wes Mathews.. or at least what Wes was supposed to do for this team. 3&D but Reggie is actually better at the 3 and the D. Wes signed with the Mavs when he was 29, same as Bullock. Reggie is a career 39.2% 3PT shooter on 4 attempts vs Wes at 37.9% on 5.4 attempts. Wes was signed for 4/70M (6 years ago) and Reggie 3/30M.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 07:42 AM)Smitty Wrote: I forgot who said it, so many posts the last 24 hours. But to double down... Luka will not defer to someone else handling the ball (especially in crunch time) if he doesn't respect that person or view them as good enough. A lot of the reason JRich didn't work out? With Dragic I think the respect is there and would work on the court maybe even more so than someone slightly better (Lowry?) simply because of the relationship and trust. 

I also view Reggie Bullock as the new Wes Mathews.. or at least what Wes was supposed to do for this team. 3&D but Reggie is actually better at the 3 and the D. Wes signed with the Mavs when he was 29, same as Bullock. Reggie is a career 39.2% 3PT shooter on 4 attempts vs Wes at 37.9% on 5.4 attempts. Wes was signed for 4/70M (6 years ago) and Reggie 3/30M.
You mean, if we shitcan him in 12 months, we´ll win the NBA title the following season like the Bucks? Big Grin
Like Reply
Some random positive thoughts. I think a lot of the disappointment here is misplaced. Even if there are no more moves coming, and I doubt that will be the case, I cannot see any great problem with Nico’s performance this summer. 1) It is a thin free agent year. While some nice players signed bargain contracts, most teams overpaid. Some by a lot. 2) Of the one’s we “should have” signed, the sense that the missed opportunity was evidence of MBT incompetence or the idea that players do not want to live in Dallas is more than a little reductionist. We make fun of the fact that fans in NY, LA and Boston seem to think they are entitled to every free agent who comes along, but we are often guilty of the same thing. Free agent signings do not occur in some sort of dyadic vacuum in which players decide Dallas or Not Dallas. There are a lot of other considerations out there. It is not always all about us. 3) The old regime was rightly criticized for failing to have enough value contracts to make decent trades. Were the Mavs able to get some value this summer? Dunno. The nature of value free agent contracts is that usually their true value only becomes apparent with time (otherwise, players would usually not sign them). But it is possible that one of the Browns or UDFAs we signed will turn out to be value contracts. It is possible that the apparently strange WCS decision is part of a larger trade plan. It is reasonable to suggest that the Bullock and THJ contracts are palatable for fringe starters. 4) I think it would be unreasonably optimistic to think that we could have solved all our problems in one thin free agent class. We did address some of them. Maybe the fact that we lead the world in centers means that more help is coming through trade. But whatever happens, this process has to be iterative. The old regime left the cupboard bare. There has to be some attempt to restock it before the miracle trades or signings occur. 5) Let’s not trade Luka to the Lakers.
[-] The following 8 users Like Mavsdemon's post:
  • fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka, Halfnir, Hypermav, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 07:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As I look at the roster and play with lineups, it feels to me we need a PF.  I'm all for Dragic coming, but I really like Sterling Brown as a bench guard next to Brunson.  He's not a distributor, but he can get to the rim and convert unassisted attempts.  I'm envisioning something like WCS/Maxi/Someone/Brown and Brunson as the bench unit  Someone comes from among THJ, Bullock and DFS.

The other two from that trio start with Luka and KP.  I get we could use some shot creation, but we could also use some size and rebounding.  Recall they tried to draft Garuba, who would be a pretty good candidate for this role.  DeRozan could work in a lineup with four shooters, but I think I'd rather have someone bigger.  Not sure we can get to Collins (obviously that would be nice).  LM?  Nance?  Or, do you set your sights lower to Milsap or Niang.  I get that Finney "can" start at PF in a lineup with KP, Luka, THJ and Bullock and Dragic would slot to the bench bumping Sterling to the backup 3.  It just feels like a younger near starter level guy with some defensive chops is also needed.

A PF is what I am focused on now to.  I am really worried about counting on high level minutes with Maxi.   We are thin even with a healthy KP.  If he goes down...things are not pretty.   

I am just having trouble finding names.   You mention Laurie and Nance. Both of them are good names.  I am just not sure either is gettable for us.  I do wonder if there is a Maxi move somewhere.  There was talk on this board that he would be a piece in a Collins trade.   I never bought that from Atlanta's view, but maybe they can move him for someone of lesser value than Collins.    Not sure if that is re-arranging the deck chairs and still keeps you very thin on the front court.   Thad Young?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1422542263268294670
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 07:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: A PF is what I am focused on now to.  I am really worried about counting on high level minutes with Maxi.   We are thin even with a healthy KP.  If he goes down...things are not pretty.   

Excellent case for Markkanen tbh. He is a Porzingis insurance.

Porzingis goes down in the play-offs again, you still got a 20 PPG scorer. Otherwise you have Kleber, Powell and WCS, who can barely get to 20 PPG combined.

We still need a secondary ballhandler and a frontcourt upgrade.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 08:11 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1422542263268294670

There's more quality players left than I realized. Thanks for the list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
We're not to the point where FA signing are official. We're to the point where FA signings are talked about, discussed, whatever, but aren't official. My plan is to hold off on my disappointment/elation until I know more about what I'm supposed to be disappointed/elated about.

Trades haven't happened. There's more action to come.

There's a Luka-factor. There's evidence that the Mavs can team Luka with several "guys-named-Herb" and have a pretty fair squad.

Should this off-season not turn out to my satisfaction? I'm going wish Mark hadn't knee-jerked and blamed all Mav's failures on Donnie.
Like Reply
Trading Powell + WCS for Dragic and then using the TPE to trade for Nance makes alot of sense.
[-] The following 5 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • KillerLeft, mavs_bigot, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:09 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Trading Powell + WCS for Dragic and then using the TPE to trade for Nance makes alot of sense.

It does.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:07 AM)david75090 Wrote: We're not to the point where FA signing are official. We're to the point where FA signings are talked about, discussed, whatever, but aren't official. My plan is to hold off on my disappointment/elation until I know more about what I'm supposed to be disappointed/elated about.

Trades haven't happened. There's more action to come.

There's a Luka-factor. There's evidence that the Mavs can team Luka with several "guys-named-Herb" and have a pretty fair squad.

Should this off-season not turn out to my satisfaction? I'm going wish Mark hadn't knee-jerked and blamed all Mav's failures on Donnie.
Man, you were on such a great roll, right up to the last paragraph. Taking 15 years more than necessary to figure out Donnie is not the guy we need is in no way knee jerk! Wanted to like so bad before that.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:09 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Nance

I think Nance would be the best defender the Mavs could possibly add. One of the best in the league IMO.
Like Reply
Boucher is still an option in the Dragic S&T. He's expiring and the Raps have too many guys there, they can't extend him. Imo he's the best plan B if Collins doesn't work out. Nance/Bagley otherwise. He still has a lot of upside, only issue is he's 28 with 4 years of experience due to weird stuff in life delaying things.

Great defender, rim runner, ball handler, 38% from 3. Everything the Mavs need at the 4 other than maybe he's a little thin. Not that important the way the league is these days anyhow.

Probably have to give up Brunson or Maxi.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:09 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Trading Powell + WCS for Dragic and then using the TPE to trade for Nance makes alot of sense.

That would be great, but I don't want to get my hopes up.   The Dragic piece just seems likely to eventually happen.  I find it odd that Toronto would have accepted that trade without having a place for Dragic.  Sure they could hold on to him and possibly move him later, but I don't think that is the plan.   My thought is I just don't think Powell and WCS are enough.     Not sure how that is better than Birch (also Canadian).   Unless the Lowry trade is expanded, I would be afraid we would need to lose an asset or two....and I don't want to give away more youth.

Nance seems gettable but other teams have had TPE and Nance hasn't moved.   He is on a pretty good sized contract.   I think they are looking for some kind of asset back for him and not just room.   Just my impression though.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:23 AM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Boucher

I support that.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:23 AM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Boucher is still an option in the Dragic S&T. He's expiring and the Raps have too many guys there, they can't extend him. Imo he's the best plan B if Collins doesn't work out. Nance/Bagley otherwise. He still has a lot of upside, only issue is he's 28 with 4 years of experience due to weird stuff in life delaying things.

Great defender, rim runner, ball handler, 38% from 3. Everything the Mavs need at the 4 other than maybe he's a little thin. Not that important the way the league is these days anyhow.

Probably have to give up Brunson or Maxi.

He was my thought as well.  But I was thinking to help Toronto clear out more salary to go after a big.   Not sure that player is out there now for them.   He does fit the rebounding/length Nico was talking about.

Maxi and Brunson are vacationing together on the Jersey shore.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:14 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, you were on such a great roll, right up to the last paragraph. Taking 15 years more than necessary to figure out Donnie is not the guy we need is in no way knee jerk! Wanted to like so bad before that.

Donnie brought us Dirk and Nash. More recently, Luka. Also UDFAs like JJB, DSF and Maxi. He would have drafted Giannis. He missed a few times but what NBA front office person hasn't? Plus, he managed to work for Mark almost the entire time. Anyone else who managed to find talent like either Dirk or Luka would deserve a lifetime pass. Except around here, it's what-have-you-done-for-me-in-every-deal-you've-ever-done-and-do-I-agree-every-time.
Like Reply