Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
Patience Grasshopper -

IF we want to do both Collins and Dragic the path includes acquiring a piece we really don't want with the TE and waiting 60 days to do the Dragic scenario.

Just for a mental exercise:

We need to move $22.323 million for Colllins at $28+ million - Powell and Kleber with Burke fit that pretty well. Divert Maxi to Toronto and Rodney Hood to Dallas (TE) and this works - Give Atlanta pick swaps in '22 and '24 with a '26 2nd pd pick.

In 60 Days we move the pieces again:
Dallas sends Hood and Brown/Terry to Atlanta; WCS to Toronto;
Atlanta sends Powell to Toronto
Toronto sends Maxi to Atlanta and Dragic to Dallas

Atlanta gets Hood, Maxi and Burke 2 pick swaps and a 2nd
Toronto gets Powell and sheds a BUNCH of salary
Dallas absorbs a crap ton of salary and gets 2 players they reportedly want for 2 pick swaps and a 2nd rd pick - bump it up to a '25 FRP to get Atlanta to participate in both portions
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • mavs_bigot
Like Reply
The Mavs may not have sh*t the bed but there was definitely a shart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • mavs_bigot
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1...7356923907

GET IT DONE Nico
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • ItsGoTime, mavs_bigot
Like Reply
So, after some reading, it seems that SA is the last possible port of call for Collins on the max that ATL is trying not to give him. I believe that the hold up with him has to do with that team, and not the Mavericks. As long as they have max space to offer, he’s got leverage on the Hawks.

This also seems to be what’s holding up Lori Markkanen’s situation, as he is thought to be SA’s backup plan. Even DeRozan seems caught in this web, maybe.

Maybe Markkanen’s decision is somehow what is holding up the Dallas/Dragic deal. As in, maybe they like him better as a target? Not sure.

There are so many theories and permutations out there that it’s impossible to get a clear picture, but I feel like the Mavs aren’t done. I think they still have irons in the fire. 

But, unfortunately, I don’t think any of those irons involves John Collins coming here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Hi guys,

long time reader first time poster here.
I need get my frustations out....

This offseason has been bad, realy bad.
I don´t understand how anyone can think its a solid offseason.
We´ve all done that in the past, Richardson will be better then Seth alone because of the defense. And we got a pick on top just to name an example. We all know this turned out.

Let´s look at our needs and how we improved them:

seconder creator: none, maybe Dragic
defense: a little bit improved? i dont think Bullock is much better than Josh
shooting: got 3 and wings, which is realy the only positive
center: Moses Brown, hart to tell but right now not much of an improvement
talent: realy bad, if Reggie Bullock is your star free agengy signing your doing it wrong, period

Considering this is the last year with capspace its terrrible. I know there is still some time left und trades to be done. But if we look at our assets it probalby won´t be something big.

Please Jerry, ah Mark step down and let people with knowledge do their job!

PS: sorry for bad grammar, its my first letter writting in englisch since 8,9 years.

Have nice day, guys you´ve got a great community
[-] The following 10 users Like sidi's post:
  • BigDirk41, ClutchDirk, From Dirk to Luka, ItsGoTime, Kammrath, KillerLeft, mavs_bigot, mvossman, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 03:49 AM)sidi Wrote: Hi guys,

I need get my frustions out....

We´ve all done that in the past, Richardson will be better then Seth alone because of the defense. And we got a pick on top just to name an example. We all know this turned out.

shooting: got 3 and wings, wich is realy the only positive
talent: realy bad, if Reggie Bullock is your star free agengy signing your doing it wrong, period

Considering this ist the last year with capsace its terrrible. I know there is still some time left und trades to be done. But if we look at our assets it probalby won´t be something big.

Please Jerry, ah Mark step down and let people with knowledge do thier job!

PS: sorry for bad grammar, its my first letter writting in englisch since 8,9 years.

Welcome, and thanks for the thoughts! Great first post!
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 03:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: So, after some reading, it seems that SA is the last possible port of call for Collins on the max that ATL is trying not to give him. I believe that the hold up with him has to do with that team, and not the Mavericks. As long as they have max space to offer, he’s got leverage on the Hawks.

This also seems to be what’s holding up Lori Markkanen’s situation, as he is thought to be SA’s backup plan. Even DeRozan seems caught in this web, maybe.

Maybe Markkanen’s decision is somehow what is holding up the Dallas/Dragic deal. As in, maybe they like him better as a target? Not sure.

There are so many theories and permutations out there that it’s impossible to get a clear picture, but I feel like the Mavs aren’t done. I think they still have irons in the fire. 

But, unfortunately, I don’t think any of those irons involves John Collins coming here.

It's pretty obvious we are not done yet.
But I can't see any way we end up with JC and I'm happy.
I hope he goes to the Spurs.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 03:49 AM)sidi Wrote: Hi guys,

I need get my frustions out....

shooting: got 3 and wings, wich is realy the only positive

Considering this ist the last year with capsace its terrrible. I know there is still some time left und trades to be done. But if we look at our assets it probalby won´t be something big.

Please Jerry, ah Mark step down and let people with knowledge do thier job!

welcome to the squad! Would you like to suggest what they should have done? I like it, how things have gone so far. With Lowry off the table, key to me was not handing out bad contracts like KP/Powell. That´s what kills you. One always must look at what would ahve been out there and what would have been the costs.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 04:25 AM)Thukydides Wrote: welcome to the squad! Would you like to suggest what they should have done? I like it, how things have gone so far. With Lowry off the table, key to me was not handing out bad contracts like KP/Powell. That´s what kills you. One always must look at what would ahve been out there and what would have been the costs.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Hard to tell Lonzo Ball, Norman Powel at their price would be ok. Holmes would be good value but i have fit concerns, to me KP must play the most minutes at the 5.

I like the direction of having alot of 3 and D guys and playing a schwitchable defense. But some needs are as big or even bigger. We just need a better starting five. By adding Bullock we get solid role player nothing more. Also i feel like Bullock will be our new Dwight Powell, ok player but slightly overpaid.
Futhermore he´s 30 years old, i would prefer younger guys who fit the timline better.
These signings also mean that Green has a hard way to see playing time, i feel thats another assets just wastet ( not because of him, but he is probably shooting guard 4 right now)

2 day ago would you be fine with Reggie Bullock as our only improvement?
Like Reply
I'm not okay with only Reggie Bullock but I don't think that's the only move we'll make. If we can get Dragic, it won't be as good as getting Lowry would have been, but he should still be a solid, veteran secondary playmaker who already has a good relationship with Luka obviously. We will hopefully also add some forward depth with the TPE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
Mavs are not done yet. The simple FA stuff has been announced (resign THJ, MLE, BAE signing), the more difficult transactions that involve trades are still brewing. I definitively expect 2 more pieces coming in via trade (Dragic, Collins or someone we do not expect right now) and see Maxi, Powell, Burke, WCS, Brunson, Green, Terry as options for outgoing pieces.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Halfnir's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 05:28 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Mavs are not done yet. The simple FA stuff has been announced (resign THJ, MLE, BAE signing), the more difficult transactions that involves trades are still brewing. I definitively expect 2 more pieces coming in via trade (Dragic, Collins or someone we do not expect right now) and see Maxi, Powell, Burke, WCS, Brunson, Green, Terry as options for outgoing pieces.

I can´t see how this kind of trade will help us. None of this players has any tradevalue near what they have value as a player or lottery ticket.
Like Reply
Lauri is bad defender, yes I get that, but he may be the most dynamic scorer/shooter in the front court should the Mavs acquire him. Luka would have the same effect for Lauri like that of THJ. Lauri is going to be a dangerous pick and pop partner, or a lethal escape valve for an outlet pass.

I have no hopes for Collins. But Lauri is realistic should the Mavs want him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Here is a different wrinkle. We could also acquire a player via the TPE. For example Lamb or Nance Jr. and send that player out in a Markkanen S&T immediately. I believe as long as the TPE player is not packaged with another player that should be possible. This way we keep Kleber for a possible Dragic, DeRozan etc. deal.

Could Powell/Brunson/Burke/2nd round pick be enough for a DeRozan S&T?

DeRozan becomes the nominal back-up PG (top 5 in assist percentage for 3pt shooters last year) and surround him with the 3&D of Brown, Bullock and Kleber.

Updated roster would be

Doncic/DeRozan/Terry
THJ/Brown/X
DFS/Bullock/Green
Markkanen/Kleber/
Porzingis/WCS/Boban/Brown
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 05:02 AM)sidi Wrote: Thanks for the nice welcome.

Hard to tell Lonzo Ball, Norman Powel at their price would be ok. Holmes would be good value but i have fit concerns, to me KP must play the most minutes at the 5.

I like the direction of having alot of 3 and D guys and playing a schwitchable defense. But some needs are as big or even bigger. We just need a better starting five. By adding Bullock we get solid role player nothing more. Also i feel like Bullock will be our new Dwight Powell, ok player but slightly overpaid.
Futhermore he´s 30 years old, i would prefer younger guys who fit the timline better.
These signings also mean that Green has a hard way to see playing time, i feel thats another assets just wastet ( not because of him, but he is probably shooting guard 4 right now)

2 day ago would you be fine with Reggie Bullock as our only improvement?

As soon as Lowry was off the table, I was fine with three moves:

1) a high quality shooter into the MLE (done)
2) getting into the Lowry deal and deal Powell + 2nds for Dragic (looks like a possibility)
3) use the TPE + x (maybe Green, although that would hurt) on a guy like Nance/Osman 

All of this  is still on the table and I especially liked that they pivoted quickly and got things done with Bullock and Brown early. Could have done so much wrong instead: 
- waiting for Collins/Leonard
- paying a big man (yes I like Holmes, but not above 12 mio as he can´t play with KP)
- overpaying on guys like McDermott/Z. Collins like the Spurs
- fomoing into Lonzo or Fournier

Just make no mistake, shoot your shots and stay sensible. That´s what they have done so far and I like it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thukydides's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 06:01 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Lauri is bad defender, yes I get that, but he may be the most dynamic scorer/shooter in the front court should the Mavs acquire him. Luka would have the same effect for Lauri like that of THJ. Lauri is going to be a dangerous pick and pop partner, or a lethal escape valve for an outlet pass.

There is not even conclusive evidence to that. If you break down the Bulls defense, it´s basically utter trash whenever Lavine/White play together and pretty good, when they do not. The overall defensive performance of the Bulls had little to do with Markkanen, good or bad.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 06:01 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Lauri is bad defender, yes I get that, but he may be the most dynamic scorer/shooter in the front court should the Mavs acquire him. Luka would have the same effect for Lauri like that of THJ. Lauri is going to be a dangerous pick and pop partner, or a lethal escape valve for an outlet pass.

It will be interesting to see where Lauri winds up.  He isn't a great fit with KP.  But at this point, I would be willing to roll the dice with him.  I would prefer him over Dragic.   I would even give up Maxi I think.    Maxi is very solid but he is what he is.  I think Lauri just offers up more upside.  It feels like the Bulls move Lauri for a win now type of move though.    They really need to get back in the playoffs, so any win now move they make would take priority, I think.   I can see Derozan winding up there. 

I think it is probably moot though.   We probably have some framework for Dragic.   It is probably going to cost us an asset knowing Toronto and I will be on record on not liking the move.
Like Reply
Totally expect Markkanen to end up with the Spurs in a sign and trade for DeRozan. Makes so much sense, if DeRozan does in fact still want to earn solid money.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 06:39 AM)Thukydides Wrote: Totally expect Markkanen to end up with the Spurs in a sign and trade for DeRozan. Makes so much sense, if DeRozan does in fact still want to earn solid money.

DeRozan to the Bulls or a 3rd team?

I think they are pretty much set with Lonzo/Lavine as their starters and Caruso/Aracdiacono + White as the back-up combination. They need to keep Lavine/White apart and on paper have now a balanced offense/defense dynamic at PG/SG.
Like Reply
I know DeRozan isn't a great 3 point shooter, but he is a damn good player. I'm surprised so many are against him here. He can flat out score. He was almost All Star last year. He's only 31. He averaged almost 7 dimes a game last season. He would instantly be our #2 offensively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply