Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(06-07-2021, 05:30 PM)omahen Wrote: So it is we love our boys in blue again...

https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/14...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

If he says th opposite, he would put himself in a bad position negotiating with other teams - also why should he throw his players under the bus…
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:34 PM)omahen Wrote: So who fits?

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1402...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

So he didn’t notice how lack of handles and lack of playmaking when Luka was trapped or on the bench hurt the team ?
Like Reply
So they basically want Danny Green again...except the 2016 version of him isn't coming back
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 08:12 AM)omahen Wrote: Looking at FA, one of the elder statesmen (CP3, Conley, Lowry) are the only realistic options that have what we need. Having the 2024 outlook in mind, why not give it a go, especially if we could resign THJ in the process? Of couse if any of them would actually even want to come, which I doubt a lot. 

Schroeder? Ball? Both have plenty of negatives to talk about. Graham perhaps? Really didn't see him enough to judge his defense.

Consider the source:

5. Mike Conley, Unrestricted: Dallas Mavericks

Everything points to Mike Conley returning to the Utah Jazz.The veteran point guard loves it there, the on-court fit makes total sense, Utah is a contender and Conley has played exceptionally well in his second season with the franchise. He has no reason to leave, and the Jazz have no reason to want him gone.  
Suppose, though, that new Jazz owner Ryan Smith's willingness to pay the luxury tax—historically unusual in Utah—has its limits. Perhaps the Jazz don't want to spend wildly on a 33-year-old point guard who endured multiple hamstring strains this past season, and who might struggle against the aging curve on his next deal.    
In that (admittedly unlikely) scenario, Conley might seek out a destination that approximates what he's had in Utah the past two years—someplace where he's needed, where he can contend and where he can make upward of $25 million per season.    
The Dallas Mavericks might have bigger free-agent dreams, and they might also go deep enough in these 2021 playoffs to enter that rare class of teams that attracts ring-chasers at a discount. The $25 million they could clear might be better spent on several rotation players at below-market rates. With Luka Doncic looking very much like a guy focused on being the best player in the league over the next decade, opportunistic free agents should be lining up to play with him on the cheap.   
Still, Conley would be an undeniably good fit as a secondary playmaker. As great as Doncic is, Dallas should be concerned with the load he shoulders every night. Just because he can score or assist 31 of 37 field goals in a playoff game doesn't mean he should make a habit of it.   
If the Mavs could grab Conley on a relatively short deal, they could preserve some flexibility to take a crack at an upgrade in a couple of years...when Doncic will still only be 24.If Conley leaves the Jazz, it'll be at least as surprising as Leonard or Paul changing teams. But if the unthinkable happens, Dallas makes a lot of sense as an unexpected landing spot.
Like Reply
Dragic is fine for the next 2 years to finish his career. They're probably not going to hit a homerun with a secondary ball-handler this offseason so just get a veteran with plenty of experience who can shoot and also provide the added bonus of being a mentor to Luka. And yes, even if getting a another ball-handler/playmaker may not be on their radar now...it will definitely be after a few more playoff failures where Luka is worn out and beaten down from doing everything.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:40 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: So he didn’t notice how lack of handles and lack of playmaking when Luka was trapped or on the bench hurt the team ?

So many problems and only limited options to improve the roster. I guess he noticed that Kawhi and PG walked right by or trough every single Mavs defender. Would be lovely to have someone that can prevent Kawhi from breaking scoring volume/efficiency records.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:40 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: So he didn’t notice how lack of handles and lack of playmaking when Luka was trapped or on the bench hurt the team ?

I concur.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: So many problems and only limited options to improve the roster. I guess he noticed that Kawhi and PG walked right by or trough every single Mavs defender. Would be lovely to have someone that can prevent Kawhi from breaking scoring volume/efficiency records.

My favourite quote "I was on the bench" from DFS! on what happened during that 24-4 Clippers run. Poor guy was playing his heart out on defense and he got so little in terms of help from his teammates, whether it´s doubling (from the other guards/wings) or rotation/rim protection behind him (from the bigs).
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: So many problems and only limited options to improve the roster. I guess he noticed that Kawhi and PG walked right by or trough every single Mavs defender. Would be lovely to have someone that can prevent Kawhi from breaking scoring volume/efficiency records.

How many great defenders are there that will contain Kawhi and PG? The league is geared towards offense. All you can do is play with force and hopefully tire them out a bit.  Hopefully.  To me the 3D types like Bruce Bowen and Danny Green were always a bit overrated. They played on very good defensive teams that made them look better.  Klay is the gold standard for me for 3D because he was a phenomenal offensive player.  The answer is not bringing one good defensive player. The team, including Luka, has to at least put more effort

This is an offense first league now. Teams that pose trouble have multiple ball handlers who can create a shot for themselves and their teammates.  You are correct though that a 3D guy might be easier to find than playmakers who can defend a bit. My feeling is don’t waste years. Prioritize correctly and move heaven and earth to fill what you prioritize than just compromise year after year.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:35 PM)sliver91 Wrote: If he says th opposite, he would put himself in a bad position negotiating with other teams - also why should he throw his players under the bus…

It goes even beyond that.  He specifically said "standout top three player", which either indicates KP is staying or Donnie is savvy enough to pretend we might keep him and consider him in that Top Three tier.  They also have to be careful about how they discuss cap room as it sends a signal to THJ that he better start shopping for a new place to live.

As to your other question...Yes, any 2023 pick...but unprotected or if a team has two, it can be worst of the two.
Like Reply
Rick's constant praise of KP and Donnie's praise of him makes me think they want to trade him.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 12:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so yeah, I'm with your entire post. However, about the specific statement above:

1) Is an actual point guard going to want to play here without the ball in his hands at LEAST 40-60% of the time? 

2) Is Luka ready/willing to give the ball up for anything close to those percentages? Does he even HAVE an off-ball game? I mean, I assume he is capable of playing off-ball or at least learning how, but we really, truly haven't seen much of that since he came here.
Lukas success in Euroleague was as an off ball player who had Lull and Dragic running the offense...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:08 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: How many great defenders are there that will contain Kawhi and PG? The league is geared towards offense. All you can do is play with force and hopefully tire them out a bit.  Hopefully.  To me the 3D types like Bruce Bowen and Danny Green were always a bit overrated. They played on very good defensive teams that made them look better.  Klay is the gold standard for me for 3D because he was a phenomenal offensive player. 

This is an offense first league now. Teams that pose trouble have multiple ball handlers who can create a shot for themselves and their teammates.  You are correct though that a 3D guy might be easier to find than playmakers who can defend a bit. My feeling is don’t waste years. Prioritize correctly and move heaven and earth to fill what you prioritize than just compromise year after year.

Kawhi against the Mavs: 32.1ppg 61.2% FG, 42.5% from 3, 89.8% FT, 67.5eFG%, 72.3% TS

Only four player in history scored 200+ points on 60% + shooting in a playoff series. Shaq in 2000. Kareem in 1984. Bernard King in 1977.
Even better. 2nd highest eFG% for a player that averaged 30+ in a playoff series in the last 55 years. Behind Curry in 2017 (against SA).

No one even tried to contain him. 1vs1 he was getting to the rim whenever he wanted. Against the zone he created easy midrange shots.
Already mentioned it the Mavs had a solid 116 O-Rating in the series. Terrible 122 D-Rating. Allowed the Clippers to score at near historic 61% TS.

Yes playmaking is a problem as well. But it is only one of many. Not possible to fix everything in one offseason. Especially because they have to clean up the mess of the last few years. I get that some people priortize playmaking. It was painful to watch DFS as the decision maker after the trap. But for me it was even more painful to watch a team that is beyond hope on defense. So desperate that they decide that one of the most efficient shots in basketball, the open corner 3, is a better option than giving up 70% in the paint.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:17 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He specifically said "standout top three player", which either indicates KP is staying or Donnie is savvy enough to pretend we might keep him and consider him in that Top Three tier. 

Top three can mean that player is number 1, 2 or 3. With KP in equation or not Smile 

THJ might start counting fingers, if that makes him a top 4 player or if KP is out and it makes him a top three player.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/dUtWVc2Pv9s
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:21 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Lukas success in Euroleague was as an off ball player who had Lull and Dragic running the offense...

Man, how much of that footage did you watch? This was not the conclusion I walked away with at all, and I've watched every full game anyone has ever posted here. If you have a link to post that looks like what you're describing, I'd LOVE to watch it. I can never get enough Luka!

I think he played off ball some with Richardson this year, so maybe it is just about the quality of the on-ball guy, and how difficult it is to find someone WORTH taking Luka off-ball for stretches.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:34 PM)omahen Wrote: So who fits?

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1402...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

Rugged defenders that can also hit threes cost a lot. I assume they mean 40%+ 

RoCo fits, Lonzo Ball, Jerami Grant, Danny Green, Duncan Robinson, All kinda fit that mold.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:36 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://youtu.be/dUtWVc2Pv9s

Thanks for posting this...I THINK I've seen this one before, but I'll watch again when I have time.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Rugged defenders that can also hit threes cost a lot. I assume they mean 40%+ 

RoCo fits, Lonzo Ball, Jerami Grant, Danny Green, Duncan Robinson, All kinda fit that mold.

Pipe dream alife: KP + Burke for Adams and Lonzo 4/100. THJ 4/62 (let´s hope that 15m are enough). Decline all options. Renounce all capholds.

Would leave the Mavs with 16.8m in capspace. Probably not enough for Robinson.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Burke

At this point, I hope they keep Burke around just because it would irrationally annoy you so much. Hours of entertainment, guaranteed.
Like Reply