Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 4.5 pt RAPTOR & 5.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
75.00%
3 75.00%
Suns
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 69: DAL (40-29) @ PHX (28-39) | 115-117 loss
(08-02-2020, 11:27 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: In crunch time what is the one reliable go to shot that either Luka or KP has...that defenses know is coming but cannot do anything about?  At this point in their evolution, neither has one. 

We need better starters. We need Luka and KP to play off each other better. Maybe RC has also been a bit off.  However this is a team built around two offensive studs, neither of whom can be relied upon for a basket when defenses take it up a notch.  I have more confidence in Boban being able to score anytime than I have in my two studs. That has to change.

I agree and lets also add that the Luka/KP two man game really started in the 2nd half of the season so they have not had a lot of time to work together in live game action. 

I am thinking about the bigger picture and love how they are focusing on the Luka and KP two man game. We will be fine in the long run but this is good because its showing how many holes we have in our roster.
Like Reply
The MBT knew it...that's why they wanted Kemba so badly last summer. The offense needed a dynamic guard so that Year 2 Luka wouldn't have to shoulder so much of the burden. That should always be the offseason priority until they can finally address it. Even if Luka continues to develop and become great, you always need a second perimeter threat who can create his own shot. LeBron doesn't win any of his rings without Wade in Miami and Kyrie in Cleveland.
Like Reply
(08-02-2020, 11:27 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: In crunch time what is the one reliable go to shot that either Luka or KP has...that defenses know is coming but cannot do anything about?  At this point in their evolution, neither has one. 

We need better starters. We need Luka and KP to play off each other better. Maybe RC has also been a bit off.  However this is a team built around two offensive studs, neither of whom can be relied upon for a basket when defenses take it up a notch.  I have more confidence in Boban being able to score anytime than I have in my two studs. That has to change.

Luka did great driving to the rim with Ayton switching on him. KP was hitting great elbow shots within mid range. They use those weapons for most of the night

I agree that Luka and KP should play off each other, especially how strange they play for their positions.  A 6'7 point guard that can post up  and 7'3 center who can shoot, make this unorthodox combo designed plays.
Like Reply
This is a team built for the Euro League. Unfortunately, it lacks the athletic traits needed for the NBA. I’m really disappointed at how obviously out of shape these guys are. DFS has been in quicksand for every single game in the bubble including the scrimmages. Seth looks like he’s playing at half speed. Luka, KP, and Boban are really the only guys who look up to speed. Cleveland at least is showing some hustle. I think I’d throw him out there. Couldn’t hurt.
Like Reply
Nice!!! players space out, ohhh got a defender to my right, going to drive left to the basket or hockey assist to the player open.

[Image: 2020-08-03-00-58-46.png]

Uhhhh nope. I shot a brick instead.
Like Reply
How much cap room do we have this summer if we let THJ walk? If we convince him to re-sign for $10 mil starting per year?
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 12:03 AM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Uhhhh nope. I shot a brick instead.

I am really starting to think coach ordered to go for a three point shot.
Like Reply
This game shows how hard it will be to win if THJ doesn't show up. KP and Luka combined for 70 but didn't get enough help. This shows the failure of our offseason, THJ has been a pleasant surprise at times but how much do you trust him in the playoffs? Not throwing the money necessary to get a guy like Malcolm Brogdon because we are under the delusion that we'll be able to sign a big name in 2021 is looking like a mistake

Defensive effort was better here but I won't give them too much credit because that's more a function of it being almost impossible to play worse defense than we did against Houston. And our defense went to trash again in the clutch except for that nice block by KP that set us up with one last chance

Let's be real, we're locked into the 7 seed now. We should be running plays for the other guys just to get their confidence up by playoff time right now in these next games, Luka and KP look ready to go. Judging by those last plays they ran they had no interest in going into overtime again even if it meant an L
Like Reply
I don't think offense is a problem. Even with 3 pointers not going in, offense was just fine against Phoenix. They had no problems going for layups and when Phoenix wanted to play defense, refs stepped in. I guess Mavs were close to some team record in free throws. At least they showed progress by very respectable percentage.

It is a disaster that Phoenix, with their best players out for a lot of time due to fouls, managed to score 117 points. Guys that were basically out of the league (Kaminsky, Payne) were torching us in critical moments. Guys lack killer instinct. They sent out Booker and Ayton with 5 fouls in the beginning of third quarter and instead of closing the game against their weak bench unit, our starters stopped playing defense and allowed them to not just stay in game but gain advantage. With guys like CP3 or Butler this kind of thing would never happened. Unless guys start playing considerably better, our playoff experience will be very short. I don't think we can win a game against Clippers defense.
Like Reply
I really wish people would stop suggesting getting more offensive players for this team. Guys like Gallo and Markannen are not a fit for this team as currently constructed. We need 3nD wings in the worst way and we need someone big and strong enough to be an enforcer in the starting unit.

That is all.
Like Reply
Yes on defensive players look at the Rockets other starters Tucker, Covington and House not one can create their won shot , Hardaway is a better offensive player than all 3 of them, but we need a tough SOB at the 4 instead we have DFS.

Harrell is the perfect fit here and then go get a Marvin Williams as back up 4.
Like Reply
(08-02-2020, 11:05 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 11:03 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 11:00 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:57 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:54 PM)mtrot Wrote: I'd be up for having a different guard bring the ball up and initiate the offense.  It's just not being effective enough with Luka.  We keep getting bottled up and end up taking high difficulty shots.
Our options are Delon Wright, the corpse of JJB or a one-armed Brunson after a 10 day quarantine, so.....

JJ or Brunson?
Burke?
He already had his fluke game of the bubble.
How do you know it will have been a fluke, if you don't try him some more?
Because he has had seven years/388 games in the league and never made eight three pointers.
Like Reply
They need to hit on this 2020 draft pick...they basically need to find their new Josh Howard for this era. DFS, Kleber, THJ, Seth, they're not exactly young anymore either. We know who they are at this point in their careers. They can improve a little but their role in this league has been stamped and the upside is limited.
Like Reply
(08-02-2020, 10:46 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: holy crap Carlise is atrocious,

go for the dam 2 under the basket, learn how to win close games,

I'm seriously starting to think winning a championship absolutely went to Carlisle's head, and not in a good way.  By his comments he actually doesn't seem to think the mistakes could possibly be his. 

I can't think of a of a time in decades of watching basketball that a Coach of such high reputation had this bad of a blind spot on an obvious issue. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply