Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Harp gone for good?
I’ve skipped the Mavs broadcast for the majority of the games of the last 3-4 years. It just got stale. I also would love to see a different play by play guy over Followill. 

Devin isn’t perfect but the broadcast has gotten a lot more intrigueing with him compared to Harp.
Like Reply
I diasagree, Followill is still awesome. If he just had a capable expert at his side, if would be the perfect combo. Harp was not it and I fear, Devin is not that either. I liked Richard Jefferson the other day on National broadcast for example.
Like Reply
I don’t think any of those guys are bad at their jobs, it’s more of a being worn out by their voices kind of thing lol. We didn’t have a change on the ingame broadcasting team in a long time. 

I really like RJ, too. Somebody who is actually terrible at this job is Doc Imo.
Like Reply
Yeah, I guess Doc has scamed himself into a lot of jobs with his fake doctorate and authoritative voice.
Like Reply
(11-15-2023, 10:07 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I diasagree, Followill is still awesome. If he just had a capable expert at his side, if would be the perfect combo. Harp was not it and I fear, Devin is not that either. I liked Richard Jefferson the other day on National broadcast for example.

I like Devin.  He does not drone on like Harp.  Followill and and the game are the important parts.
Like Reply
I think the real endgame is just having Dirk on the broadcast. Can we just skip to that?

14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
So much of Mavs' broadcasts went like:

Followill: (smart, witty commentary)

Harper: "Yeah."

I'm not exaggerating. Harper's go-to catchphrase is "Yeah." Plus, so much banter just goes over his head.

He's not missed.
[-] The following 3 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
Curious if the Mark Jackson debacle in New York and Harper's odd disappearance have any correlation to each other...
Like Reply
Interesting connection...
I have one concern:
If we are critical of Harp, how is he going to survive running color commentary for Knicks fans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-16-2023, 01:00 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Interesting connection...
I have one concern:
If we are critical of Harp, how is he going to survive running color commentary for Knicks fans.

Oh I agree and I have nothing to base my claim on other than he has ties there and they're looking for someone to call some games when Walt Frazier can't.  Highly doubt it's the case but while I agree Knicks fans would tear him apart, he would certainly get paid better I would think.
Like Reply
I really liked Mark Jackson when he played for the Pacers. But I can’t stand to listen to him call a game. Reggie Miller? Love that guy with a mic. But not Jackson. Harp would be an upgrade on him.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 02:10 AM)The Jom Wrote: I really liked Mark Jackson when he played for the Pacers. But I can’t stand to listen to him call a game. Reggie Miller? Love that guy with a mic. But not Jackson. Harp would be an upgrade on him.

I would not argue anything EXCEPT, Mark Jackson had "Mama there goes that man" and "Hand down man down" as signature calls. I LOVE Harp, have since the 83 draft , but Harp has no such signature call and the differences "in the flow" between the two are not enough to elevate Harp over Jackson. NY fans might prefer that switch if they are as fed up with MJ as you seem to be.
Like Reply
I dont see how Mark Jackson is bad unless its based on some media personality thingy.

He seems to be locked into whats happening on the court and makes good calls and suggests what seem like reasonable alternatives to teams that are having trouble with another team. Im not a basketball know it all....but he always seems to be locked in and trying to provide insight. I guess you could call him boring or over serious...maybe some dont like Aikman calling football games....but I love him.

I get that there are far better personalities...but isnt that why they have him next to Van Gundy. I get that Van Gundy is funny and provides good insight...and Im a HUGE Van Gundy fan...but I just have no problems with Mark Jackson what so ever. To each his own.

Dont know why I just wasted time defending Marc Jackon on a message board.

Has OMax settled down yet?
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 03:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Has OMax settled down yet?

Nope he's still lost. And still looks like a baby deer on ice skates out there.
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 03:03 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Nope he's still lost. And still looks like a baby deer on ice skates out there.

No lie...almost made a post the other day about him looking like a horse on roller skates.  I rephrased and just said he looked wild instead.

Guy needs to slow down and work on body control for sure.   He's my new Josh Green.   Want him to succeed badly.  Time will tell.
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 03:09 PM)youzigizag Wrote: No lie...almost made a post the other day about him looking like a horse on roller skates.  I rephrased and just said he looked wild instead.

Guy needs to slow down and work on body control for sure.   He's my new Josh Green.   Want him to succeed badly.  Time will tell.

I've seen your thoughts on him, and I agree.  I like the guy and i'm rooting for him. I hope he turns into a star. 

But i'm very skeptical on his long term prospects.  I dont see the athleticism or the defense abilities that he was supposed to have. He looks like his ceiling is a glue guy off the bench. An 8th or 9th guy in the rotation type. i'm not sure he'll even be on the Finney-Smith level of player.
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 03:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I dont see how Mark Jackson is bad unless its based on some media personality thingy.

He seems to be locked into whats happening on the court and makes good calls and suggests what seem like reasonable alternatives to teams that are having trouble with another team. Im not a basketball know it all....but he always seems to be locked in and trying to provide insight. I guess you could call him boring or over serious...maybe some dont like Aikman calling football games....but I love him.

I get that there are far better personalities...but isnt that why they have him next to Van Gundy. I get that Van Gundy is funny and provides good insight...and Im a HUGE Van Gundy fan...but I just have no problems with Mark Jackson what so ever. To each his own.

Dont know why I just wasted time defending Marc Jackon on a message board.

Has OMax settled down yet?

Dialectually speaking, I am afraid the language barrier would be quite the hill to overcome as far as O-Max in the announcers seat here...
Might be better suited to Canadian broadcasts with his French Connection. although, I'm sure the Toronto fans have their past player favorites they would prefer to announce games for them
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(11-17-2023, 03:35 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I've seen your thoughts on him, and I agree.  I like the guy and i'm rooting for him. I hope he turns into a star. 

But i'm very skeptical on his long term prospects.  I dont see the athleticism or the defense abilities that he was supposed to have. He looks like his ceiling is a glue guy off the bench. An 8th or 9th guy in the rotation type. i'm not sure he'll even be on the Finney-Smith level of player.

My eye will get ridiculed here...Im openly saying I dont have a trained eye...

My small sample sized opinion of the guy is that his best trait is attacking the rim with the ball.   Yet...I have seen posters say he is terrible at it.   What is his best trait then?   I will give you he is willing to give energy on defense...but it is still sloppy.   Its not his best trait.   Attacking the rim with the ball is, imo.

Im not hating.  I want this dude to succeed so bad.  He's the new energy the Mavs give me for watching(other than Luka's other Wordly acts).   Im simply suggesting that his defense needs to slow down and be more refined and that his best current attribute is not defense but his ability to attack the rim....even if not up to certain posters standards.   

Long term..I thin he can be fine...but he needs to show major body control improvements in the short term for me to even think he can be a long term success story.   Just weird how he was considered a defensive guy.   I hope I eat crow and he is a defensive guy...learns the spacing and timing and dials it in.   He just seems wild at the moment.   Im rooting 200% for the kid though.
Like Reply
Harp is back.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(11-19-2023, 07:33 PM)The Jom Wrote: Harp is back.

Did they even say why he was out in the first place?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply