MavsBoard
Is Harp gone for good? - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Is Harp gone for good? (/showthread.php?tid=2763)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is Harp gone for good? - meistermatze - 11-13-2023

Hey guys,

sorry if I missed it but I noticed, to my delight, that Devin has been co-commentator alongside mavsluvr, I mean Followill. Not saying that Devin is awesome, I think you can tell he has a lot of stuff still to learn, sometimes he is not as articulate as you would like him to be - but even now, he is already better than Harp ever was (as a commentator, I hope you see what I did there). Thanks to Devin I know now how to handle a zone-defense or what to do if you get blitzed all the time. That is already more than I have ever learned from Harp.

If it is not clear by now (and oldtimers here will remember that I have always ripped on Harp for being a shit commentator): I am just happy he is (hopefully?) gone for good.

And actually curious what the reason for it is? Also you guys takes on it.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - KillerLeft - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 06:31 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Hey guys,

sorry if I missed it but I noticed, to my delight, that Devin has been co-commentator alongside mavsluvr, I mean Followill. Not saying that Devin is awesome, I think you can tell he has a lot of stuff still to learn, sometimes he is not as articulate as you would like him to be - but even now, he is already better than Harp ever was (as a commentator, I hope you see what I did there). Thanks to Devin I know now how to handle a zone-defense or what to do if you get blitzed all the time. That is already more than I have ever learned from Harp.

If it is not clear by now (and oldtimers here will remember that I have always ripped on Harp for being a shit commentator): I am just happy he is (hopefully?) gone for good.

And actually curious what the reason for it is? Also you guys takes on it.

I don't think he's gone for good yet, but it does kind of seem like they've begun to phase him out. Very little has been said, publicly, so I don't think anyone knows for sure. 

I'm pretty excited for a change, myself.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - Reunion Mav - 11-13-2023

I’m good with Devin taking over and I loved Harris as a player. But Devin wasn’t even close to as good as Derek Harper as a player. Pat Riley never said anything about Devin but he totally respected Harp as the “best on ball defender in the league “.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - SwisherPrice - 11-13-2023

Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - OBX Maverick - 11-13-2023

Didn’t Harp do the first game or two? Definitely weird that he just kind of disappeared without any explanation. I think we would all “concur” that if he “got his legs” a little more into his effort, he wouldn’t have come up short this season….

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - IamDougieFresh - 11-13-2023

A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - SleepingHero - 11-14-2023

(11-13-2023, 10:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!

I miss Bobby O so much. Should've had much much more Followill+Ortegel broadcasts than we got.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - Dundalis - 11-14-2023

Mark Followill talks directly about Harris and Harp here Followill on Harp

Doesn't say anything about why though.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - SkenfromLMF - 11-14-2023

I am afraid that Harp might be dealing with some health issues...
My son and I made the Chicago game and the Charlotte game in the lower bowl: Harp was almost unrecognizable, if he were not looking directly your direction... Looked more like Oliver Miller.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-14-2023

(11-13-2023, 11:57 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.

We're probably only a few years away from Powell being the one we're listening to...

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - BigDirk41 - 11-14-2023

I've never liked Harper as an analyst. He's an extreme homer and hard to listen to. I think the final straw was when he acted like the jump hook 3 off glass from Luka wasn't lucky. Followill is great, but Harper makes it hard for me to enjoy listening. I hope his health isn't the reason, but I will be happy if he's not back on the main broadcast.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - fifteenth - 11-14-2023

(11-13-2023, 11:57 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.

Let's go Doogie Howser. I'm your huckleberry.

(11-13-2023, 10:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!

He can do that!

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - SkenfromLMF - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 12:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I miss Bobby O so much. Should've had much much more Followill+Ortegel broadcasts than we got.

1st one to 100 wins!

(11-14-2023, 02:52 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: 1st one to 100 wins!

Bob would have to update that statement. Maybe, 1st to 120 wins.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - DallasMaverick - 11-14-2023

https://playersbio.com/where-is-derek-harper-what-is-mavericks-legend-doing-now/

He IS 62.  Maybe time to retire?

(11-14-2023, 05:07 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://playersbio.com/where-is-derek-harper-what-is-mavericks-legend-doing-now/

He IS 62.  Maybe time to retire?

That's not old!! I'll be there in no time.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-14-2023

I didn’t like Harper but Devin Harris is worse.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - meistermatze - 11-15-2023

Well it is kind of weird that they don'r really explain it but still trying to bring him back in a couple of games. Him being sick would make sense for this kind of intransparent communication.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - Nowitzki Way - 11-15-2023

Harp wasnt that good, but he's missed. Not liking Devin Harris at all.

RE: Is Harp gone for good? - meistermatze - 11-15-2023

I am not yet sold on Devin but I was hoping for so long to have Harp gone that it will take a lot of shit our of Devin's mouth to make me miss Harp.