Posts: 337
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Oct 2019
11-13-2023, 06:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 06:33 PM by meistermatze.)
Hey guys,
sorry if I missed it but I noticed, to my delight, that Devin has been co-commentator alongside mavsluvr, I mean Followill. Not saying that Devin is awesome, I think you can tell he has a lot of stuff still to learn, sometimes he is not as articulate as you would like him to be - but even now, he is already better than Harp ever was (as a commentator, I hope you see what I did there). Thanks to Devin I know now how to handle a zone-defense or what to do if you get blitzed all the time. That is already more than I have ever learned from Harp.
If it is not clear by now (and oldtimers here will remember that I have always ripped on Harp for being a shit commentator): I am just happy he is (hopefully?) gone for good.
And actually curious what the reason for it is? Also you guys takes on it.
Posts: 21,267
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,202 in 7,259 posts
Likes Given: 14,639
Likes Received: 14,202 in 7,259 posts
Likes Given: 14,639
Joined: Aug 2020
(11-13-2023, 06:31 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Hey guys,
sorry if I missed it but I noticed, to my delight, that Devin has been co-commentator alongside mavsluvr, I mean Followill. Not saying that Devin is awesome, I think you can tell he has a lot of stuff still to learn, sometimes he is not as articulate as you would like him to be - but even now, he is already better than Harp ever was (as a commentator, I hope you see what I did there). Thanks to Devin I know now how to handle a zone-defense or what to do if you get blitzed all the time. That is already more than I have ever learned from Harp.
If it is not clear by now (and oldtimers here will remember that I have always ripped on Harp for being a shit commentator): I am just happy he is (hopefully?) gone for good.
And actually curious what the reason for it is? Also you guys takes on it.
I don't think he's gone for good yet, but it does kind of seem like they've begun to phase him out. Very little has been said, publicly, so I don't think anyone knows for sure.
I'm pretty excited for a change, myself.
Posts: 488
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 445 in 227 posts
Likes Given: 2,373
Likes Received: 445 in 227 posts
Likes Given: 2,373
Joined: Mar 2021
I’m good with Devin taking over and I loved Harris as a player. But Devin wasn’t even close to as good as Derek Harper as a player. Pat Riley never said anything about Devin but he totally respected Harp as the “best on ball defender in the league “.
Posts: 2,004
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 832 in 493 posts
Likes Given: 185
Likes Received: 832 in 493 posts
Likes Given: 185
Joined: Nov 2019
Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!
Posts: 359
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 349 in 179 posts
Likes Given: 67
Likes Received: 349 in 179 posts
Likes Given: 67
Joined: Oct 2019
Didn’t Harp do the first game or two? Definitely weird that he just kind of disappeared without any explanation. I think we would all “concur” that if he “got his legs” a little more into his effort, he wouldn’t have come up short this season….
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Posts: 1,862
Threads: 21
Likes Received: 861 in 484 posts
Likes Given: 520
Likes Received: 861 in 484 posts
Likes Given: 520
Joined: Sep 2019
A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Posts: 20,880
Threads: 697
Likes Received: 10,411 in 5,543 posts
Likes Given: 6,338
Likes Received: 10,411 in 5,543 posts
Likes Given: 6,338
Joined: Sep 2019
(11-13-2023, 10:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!
I miss Bobby O so much. Should've had much much more Followill+Ortegel broadcasts than we got.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Posts: 468
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 383 in 184 posts
Likes Given: 6
Likes Received: 383 in 184 posts
Likes Given: 6
Joined: Oct 2019
11-14-2023, 02:14 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 02:15 AM by Dundalis.)
Mark Followill talks directly about Harris and Harp here Followill on Harp
Doesn't say anything about why though.
Posts: 1,018
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 406 in 224 posts
Likes Given: 31
Likes Received: 406 in 224 posts
Likes Given: 31
Joined: Nov 2019
I am afraid that Harp might be dealing with some health issues...
My son and I made the Chicago game and the Charlotte game in the lower bowl: Harp was almost unrecognizable, if he were not looking directly your direction... Looked more like Oliver Miller.
Posts: 1,960
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 1,282 in 706 posts
Likes Given: 1,269
Likes Received: 1,282 in 706 posts
Likes Given: 1,269
Joined: Mar 2021
(11-13-2023, 11:57 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.
We're probably only a few years away from Powell being the one we're listening to...
Posts: 2,915
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 1,439 in 797 posts
Likes Given: 8,726
Likes Received: 1,439 in 797 posts
Likes Given: 8,726
Joined: Sep 2019
I've never liked Harper as an analyst. He's an extreme homer and hard to listen to. I think the final straw was when he acted like the jump hook 3 off glass from Luka wasn't lucky. Followill is great, but Harper makes it hard for me to enjoy listening. I hope his health isn't the reason, but I will be happy if he's not back on the main broadcast.
Posts: 4,901
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Joined: Sep 2019
11-14-2023, 02:27 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 02:28 PM by fifteenth.)
(11-13-2023, 11:57 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: A rated R broadcast commentated by myself and one of you Powell fans to balance me out would be the pinnacle of Mavs television.
Let's go Doogie Howser. I'm your huckleberry.
(11-13-2023, 10:11 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Harper was never that good as an analyst...they need to find someone who can be the next Bob Ortegel!
He can do that!
Not very astute ^^^^
Posts: 1,018
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 406 in 224 posts
Likes Given: 31
Likes Received: 406 in 224 posts
Likes Given: 31
Joined: Nov 2019
(11-14-2023, 12:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I miss Bobby O so much. Should've had much much more Followill+Ortegel broadcasts than we got.
1st one to 100 wins!
Posts: 4,901
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Joined: Sep 2019
(11-14-2023, 02:52 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: 1st one to 100 wins!
Bob would have to update that statement. Maybe, 1st to 120 wins.
Not very astute ^^^^
Posts: 2,398
Threads: 8
Likes Received: 1,444 in 832 posts
Likes Given: 4,113
Likes Received: 1,444 in 832 posts
Likes Given: 4,113
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 4,901
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Likes Received: 2,140 in 1,106 posts
Likes Given: 3,652
Joined: Sep 2019
(11-14-2023, 05:07 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://playersbio.com/where-is-derek-ha...doing-now/
He IS 62. Maybe time to retire?
That's not old!! I'll be there in no time.
Not very astute ^^^^
Posts: 2,790
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 2,395 in 1,215 posts
Likes Given: 2,865
Likes Received: 2,395 in 1,215 posts
Likes Given: 2,865
Joined: Jul 2022
I didn’t like Harper but Devin Harris is worse.
Posts: 337
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Oct 2019
Well it is kind of weird that they don'r really explain it but still trying to bring him back in a couple of games. Him being sick would make sense for this kind of intransparent communication.
Posts: 544
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 344 in 202 posts
Likes Given: 363
Likes Received: 344 in 202 posts
Likes Given: 363
Joined: Nov 2019
Harp wasnt that good, but he's missed. Not liking Devin Harris at all.
Posts: 337
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Likes Received: 248 in 102 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Oct 2019
I am not yet sold on Devin but I was hoping for so long to have Harp gone that it will take a lot of shit our of Devin's mouth to make me miss Harp.
|