Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(08-24-2020, 12:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap

Cap is set to be 125 million for the 2021-22 season, which is the summer of 2021. 

The cap isn’t set for next season yet, not to mention 21/22.  Teams have been warned to expect a cut for 20/21.  Some estimate the number for 20/21 will be $109mm down from prior estimate of $115mm.  21/22 would potentially be $115mm under that scenario.  But, no one knows.  Probably best to recalibrate down from $125mm.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1222991117869887490
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1173631736141557761

This is the latest knowledge regarding the cap and where I got my numbers. When I said set, I mispoke and meant estimated. Obviously COVID has complicated things, but I don't think the NBA is going to allow the cap to drastically fall because then no team would be able to make moves.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: but I don't think the NBA is going to allow the cap to drastically fall because then no team would be able to make moves.

Those news are very old and before Covid. Realistic/optimistic estimations have 2020/21 cap space at 109 due to Covid. For 2021/22 a lot depends on the next season (fans allowed or not). If no fans, cap might even go down. 

Btw, 109 doesn't mean cap is falling. It stays where it is. I guess that is great outcome based on the losses the league took.

(08-24-2020, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: If the Mavs traded both Powell and Wright, and renounced the rights to everyone, then they'd have 32,000,000 in space going into the summer of 2021.

I am not sure how you came to this result. Where you counting Hield in? Mavs have 84 mil in committed salary in 2021. Drop Powell and Wright and they would be down to some 65 mil. That is 60 mil of cap space with the very optimistic 125 estimation.
Like Reply
Y'all make me nuts with this Hield talk. We have the best offensive rating of all time and we are going to get another offense-only player? Let's get somebody who can guard the other team's best player. Right now we have good not elite DFS and Maxi as our big stoppers. KP is really our best defensive player by far but he is of course not a perimeter defender. We need an elite perimeter defender or it doesn't matter how many shooters we have.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 12:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap

Cap is set to be 125 million for the 2021-22 season, which is the summer of 2021. 

The cap isn’t set for next season yet, not to mention 21/22.  Teams have been warned to expect a cut for 20/21.  Some estimate the number for 20/21 will be $109mm down from prior estimate of $115mm.  21/22 would potentially be $115mm under that scenario.  But, no one knows.  Probably best to recalibrate down from $125mm.

This is the latest knowledge regarding the cap and where I got my numbers. When I said set, I mispoke and meant estimated. Obviously COVID has complicated things, but I don't think the NBA is going to allow the cap to drastically fall because then no team would be able to make moves.

Not much to add to what Omahen said except that Hollinger has written some good stuff on this for The Athletic.  No one wants big drop and big pop later.  He thinks it may stay flat at $109 and increase the Escrow amount substantially for 20/21 to protect the owners against an adverse outcome.  Then, you smooth much smaller rises between now and 23/24.  So, 21/22 is in the $112mm-$115mm area.  As I said, no one knows, but I’ll happily make a shaved head internet bet that it won’t be $125mm.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:57 PM)omahen Wrote: Realistic/optimistic estimations have 2020/21 cap space at 109 due to Covid

The thing is we don't know. I have no idea what the NBA is planning to do about the salary cap. The 109mm that you're guestimating is a number pulled from an assumption. My 125mm is based on outdated data. But I'm going to lean closer to the higher number than the lower number because the NBA has contracts increasing, and teams want to get better/maintain interest. For the NBA to allow the cap to fall 13% from the original projection would be a gut punch. The NBA is gonna prioritize the product and if that means inflating the cap so that teams can do more things then I'm sure they'll do that. Perhaps the NBA can bring back an emergency Amnesty clause. That's a quick way for teams to create a bunch of cap space without affecting current cap projections. 

(08-24-2020, 12:57 PM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure how you came to this result. Where you counting Hield in? Mavs have 84 mil in committed salary in 2021. Drop Powell and Wright and they would be down to some 65 mil. That is 60 mil of cap space with the very optimistic 125 estimation.

Luka- $10,174,391
Buddy-$22,977,273
KP-$31,650,600
JB-$1,802,057
Seth-8,207,518
Maxi-$8,750,000
DFS-$4,000,000
------------------
Total Salary= 86,661,839
5 vacant roster chargers 1,028,852 x5=6,044,260
Total With Roster Charges= 92,706,099
Under my current assumption with the NBA cap at 125 million
Total Salary cap space=32,293,901

If 115mm cap= total space 22,293,901

If 109mm cap= 16,293,901

In the hypothetical (and frankly a bit unrealistic) in which the Mavs traded for Buddy, they found a way out of Powell, Wright's and THJ's contracts.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 02:03 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The 109mm that you're guestimating is a number pulled from an assumption.

Not my assumption/guess/estimation or whatever you want to call it. It is an expert assumption based on discussions with key stakeholders around the league. Source: various credible media like ESPN and The Athletic.
Like Reply
Another "better version of Burke" would be Schroeder, if he can continue with performances he showed this season. I wonder if Wright+Jackson+#18 would be enough
Like Reply
Schroder is definitely the answer at guard long-term. 3-pt shooting isn't great but he might end up being better here. Between him and Jrue Holiday, gimme Schroder due to age
Like Reply
Schroeder would be almost unstoppable in a RC offense.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 01:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Y'all make me nuts with this Hield talk. We have the best offensive rating of all time and we are going to get another offense-only player? Let's get somebody who can guard the other team's best player. Right now we have good not elite DFS and Maxi as our big stoppers. KP is really our best defensive player by far but he is of course not a perimeter defender. We need an elite perimeter defender or it doesn't matter how many shooters we have.
This is a super short sighted outlook. The fact is, we do not have a reliable third go to guy. People are all over someone like Trey Burke after a handful of good games and it speaks volumes about how easily we get hooked into recency bias. These players have track records. They aren't rookies with no history. You can ignore that track record all you like and say what they are doing now is what they are gonna be going forward. It just doesn't always work like that, in fact we've been screwed in the past thinking that way. Especially in Burke's case, but also potentially in THJ's case, or even a bunch of other players having absolute career seasons in terms of shooting percentages. The other problem is the fact that we have what is potentially a very unreliable second option. Who knows how KP's health will hold up? The knee issue is quite concerning to me, and while the FO put faith in him by trading for him and giving him that contract, to not plan for worst case is to straight up be negligent.

Just because this team had the best offensive rating ever, doesn't mean that will continue to be the case. We do not have close to the offensive talent of a Golden State Warriors. To think we are anywhere close because of this efficiency stat is foolish. We have a bunch of guys who've been streaky shooters their entire careers, all of a sudden have their most efficient shooting seasons ever, at the same time. I think it's a bad idea to rely on that. This is not to say we don't need defense. We absolutely do. I'm just saying taking the outlook that this team is loaded with offensive talent and therefore we look at other areas is just not really looking judiciously at our roster. We need high level talent, offensively or defensively, particularly players that fit the style we play.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 09:57 PM)Dundalis Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Y'all make me nuts with this Hield talk. We have the best offensive rating of all time and we are going to get another offense-only player? Let's get somebody who can guard the other team's best player. Right now we have good not elite DFS and Maxi as our big stoppers. KP is really our best defensive player by far but he is of course not a perimeter defender. We need an elite perimeter defender or it doesn't matter how many shooters we have.
This is a super short sighted outlook. The fact is, we do not have a reliable third go to guy. People are all over someone like Trey Burke after a handful of good games and it speaks volumes about how easily we get hooked into recency bias. These players have track records. They aren't rookies with no history. You can ignore that track record all you like and say what they are doing now is what they are gonna be going forward. It just doesn't always work like that, in fact we've been screwed in the past thinking that way. Especially in Burke's case, but also potentially in THJ's case, or even a bunch of other players having absolute career seasons in terms of shooting percentages. The other problem is the fact that we have what is potentially a very unreliable second option. Who knows how KP's health will hold up? The knee issue is quite concerning to me, and while the FO put faith in him by trading for him and giving him that contract, to not plan for worst case is to straight up be negligent.

Just because this team had the best offensive rating ever, doesn't mean that will continue to be the case. We do not have close to the offensive talent of a Golden State Warriors. To think we are anywhere close because of this efficiency stat is foolish. We have a bunch of guys who've been streaky shooters their entire careers, all of a sudden have their most efficient shooting seasons ever, at the same time. I think it's a bad idea to rely on that. This is not to say we don't need defense. We absolutely do. I'm just saying taking the outlook that this team is loaded with offensive talent and therefore we look at other areas is just not really looking judiciously at our roster. We need high level talent, offensively or defensively, particularly players that fit the style we play.
I don’t know if anyone is fully enamored with any player we have outside of Luka (seems there are starting to be lots of detractors for even KP). There are many thoughts on how to build a title team around Luka and KP. 

I think the ones that I particularly agree with are the ones suggesting this year has shown we have all the one-way players we could ever need (mostly offense being the one way). Hence the absolute way in which they express their distaste for more acquisitions of one-way offense like Hield.

I believe THJ and the first rounder are our two best opportunities to get a player that should be a pretty big part of the core going forward. I think the better he plays in these playoffs increases his value for such a trade. If we were to use him to get a guy like Hield, while it would be most probably an upgrade, it wouldn’t be the best use of our best asset.

The need is for two way talent. Since we’re loaded with one way offensive talent and one of the best distributors in the game, we can settle for two way talent that leans more toward the defensive way. I think if the Hield trade is the best we can get out of THJ (and only a straight swap for him, no sweeteners from our side and maybe even with a sweetener from them due to the length of that contract...pick swap?), then an upgrade is an upgrade. This would just be the lowest end upgrade I myself would want.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 09:57 PM)Dundalis Wrote:

Sorry for being rude, but that's BS. 
Buddy Hield is as bad as it gets as a third option. He isn't able to create any shot for anyone.

He is an elite spotup or catch and shoot shooter. And guess what. He is also streaky as hell. Because shooting is a streaky skill. 

I would't even say he is that much overpayed because he is doing his role at such high level and volume,( if his coach let him). But in the end we get much of his production and some by Curry for a third of the price. 

Would I take an elite two-way-wing? LOL Yes, of course. Do we get one without trading Luka? No, so why not trying to improve with small steps.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1...9777015810
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 10:26 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1...9777015810

I am eyeing 2 Philadelphia players. I think Richardson would be great in our system. He is on a very team friendly deal The other one is Harris. He is ridiculously overpaid, but a good player in his prime that might move a needle for a near contender like Mavs. On the other hand of course, if he doesn't pan out, it will be very costly to get out of his contract. 

Philly wants to contend. Philly wants to get better. So they will not be just dumping their players for less crappy salaries like Powell or Wright. They are extremely top heavy team with basically non existing bench. Their only PG (I don't think Simmons is a PG) is a late second rounder Milton, who played well, but Philly needs a better floor general. Insert a good PG and Philly might have extremely good starting unit as other pieces would just fall into places: PG, SG-Richardson, SF-Simmons, PF-Harris, C-Embiid. They could also need better shooters, although a good PG might already be enough of an improvement to correct that. So what I would do if I was their GM and is there an option for Dallas to get in?

Horford is an absolute deadweight for this team. He is extremely overpaid, declining, didn't show a lot in their system, especially not in the playoffs. I doubt coaching change can correct that FO mistake. No one will take him without considerable assets attached. That assets can be either Richardson or Thybulle or picks. I don't see any reason for the following teams to trade for Horford: Atlanta, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Cleveland (no suitable players), Denver, GSW, Houston, Indy, LAL, LAC, Miami, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, Toronto, Utah and Washington.

The rest:
Charlotte are rebuilding and should sell their cap for picks. As Philly wants to also improve, not just dump the player, something around Rozier could be interesting. For example Rozier plus Monk for Horford and a bunch of picks. No option for Dallas.

Detroit: same as Charlotte, rebuilding. Kennard+Rose+Snell would be the contracts, but I guess these are alone worth some 2 FRP. So taking Horford for them would require some 4 FRP. Dallas could get in as a third team if Philly reduces the number of FRP included and add Richardson. For example Wright+18. Rose might not be best PG fit for Philly due to his average 3point shooting.

New Orleans might see value in Horford veteran leadership. But trading someone like Jrue or Ball+Reddick for Horford would require a boatload of picks even Philly doesn't have. I find it difficult to happen.

New York would need every pick they can get but they have literally zero useful players. I find it difficlut to happen. 

Sacramento (Hield or Barnes) was mentioned a lot in different scenarios. Barnes is a similarly horrible contract and I could see Philly do it only if really desperate. Buddy would be a better fit, but I have a hard time seeing it for Sacramento, unless they go for a total rebuild. While Hield has a bad contract, they could still get better offers elsewhere imho. Horford+Richardson for Hield+Barnes makes more sense for both, but also greatly increase Philly tax bill (perhaps they can add Scott). Philly would still be without a PG.

I guess San Antonio should start rebuild. But I doubt DeRozan would make Philly any better, so I see them as a very longshot. 

I was inclined to trade THJ+Wright for Horford and Richardson, but not anymore after his playoff performances. I wouldn't consider do it without Powell and Wright contract going the other way, which is not acceptable for Philly. 

This leaves OKC. Horford + Richardson for CP3. CP3 would give Philly exactly what they need, but would make OKC considerably worse. The move is possible only, if OKC embraces a more or less full rebuild (not extend or sign and trade Gallo, trade CP3 and Schroeder). Mavs could get in and trade for Richardson, as he would most likely be gone from rebuilding OKC in 2021 and they would be motivated to trade him.
Like Reply
For all his on-court greatness, Porzingis´ health scares the s*** out of me. Not gonna lie, I´d sniff around very carefully. +Wright for Oladipo+Turner, Lavine+Markkanen, +1st for Beal. Next summer you have Giannis, Davis, Gobert, Drummond, Adams, Allen and many more solid centers. Probably nothing easier than to find a good center.

Luka / Beal / DFS / Kleber / Gobert

Looks alright to me.

Luka / Oladipo / DFS / AD / Turner

Yeah acceptable.

If they decide Pro-zingis they need to get rid of Wright+Powell and additionally find a proper (veteran) starting center for a commitee. Seriously Porzingis can´t play more than 35-40 regular season games next year, when the schedule will be brutal.
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 01:42 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Luka / Oladipo / DFS / AD / Turner

Luka/Oladipo/Kawhi/AD/Gobert sounds better. Let's not be modest while we are at it...
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 01:47 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 01:42 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Luka / Oladipo / DFS / AD / Turner

Luka/Oladipo/Kawhi/AD/Gobert sounds better. Let's not be modest while we are at it...
Modest got nothing to do with it. I don´t see what´s so unrealistic about the Oladipo/Turner for Porzingis deal. Maybe throw in an unprotected 1st, if you feel like it.

Then it becomes a matter of your negotiating skills, when you have the best real estate in the country.

I think you are all too scarred by the Dirk FA experience. Besides the obvious age factor Dirk was also a private guy that never cared for networking, selling his greatness and work ethic. Players like Kidd and Chandler, who played in the same league for a decade, didn´t even know what a gym rat he was. Luka is the polar opposite. He´s the genius college nerd, that also has the looks and charisma of the star QB.

If Cuban can´t secure Luka a secondary superstar (or another All-Star) via free agency, he´s a bum.
Like Reply
KP is not getting traded any time soon.
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 02:18 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Then it becomes a matter of your negotiating skills, when you have the best real estate in the country.

Wow, you are up for a major disapointment. Not saying that it is impossible to get a top FA, but it is also not that easy. LA and NY are the best real estate in the country, and it is not even close. That's why Kawhi is with Clippers and not in Toronto defending the title.

I am 100 % sure AD will stay with LA for at least a couple more seasons. Gobert is not that special and I prefer KP to him anytime.

(08-25-2020, 02:22 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: KP is not getting traded any time soon.

Certainly. Even if Mavs tried, everyone would run away because it would be clear injury concern is the reason.
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 02:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Certainly. Even if Mavs tried, everyone would run away because it would be clear injury concern is the reason.

That's true, but I think you take calls on him.
Like Reply