Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(08-23-2020, 11:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 10:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We'll see. Let's put it this way - if the Mavs do not retain Burke, then they essentially enter the offseason a significantly worse team than they are today. Burke is the solitary guy on roster who reasonably qualifies to take on that role of the third- or fourth-best (likely fourth-) player on a playoff team that has been the Mavericks' talent gap this year (Luka, KP, two fifth-best starter on a playoff contender candidates in DFS and THJ, and a crew of decent bench players).

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Burke. I was really quite puzzled why the Mavs didn't prioritize Burke last offseason. To be fair they thought they were legit in the Kemba running which meant Burke was redundant so I can at least see the reason.

BUT, at the end of the day, Burke is just a good bench guy. 7-8th in the rotation. Sparkplug off the bench at times. He's very hot right now, so he is stepping up at a very opportune time. But if the Mavs lose Burke (especially if he gets overpaid) then it really isn't the end of the world.

Again, I would like to retain Burke, especially over Delon. But at what cost? 15 mil? Full MLE? Half MLE? I reckon the Mavs value him as a good bench guy on a 4-5 mil contract. And that's exactly what he is.

Pretty sure he had a PER around 17 last year, and he's around that now. That's way better than Maxi or DFS.

No one watches the games like you do. You are the game thread master. Don't you see what Burke is doing in these games? You're underrating him. I have every confidence that he's the third-best player on the roster now - unless perhaps Bobi is.
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 11:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Pretty sure he had a PER around 17 last year, and he's around that now. That's way better than Maxi or DFS.

No one watches the games like you do. You are the game thread master. Don't you see what Burke is doing in these games? You're underrating him. I have every confidence that he's the third-best player on the roster now - unless perhaps Bobi is.

Haha flattery is a good way to get people to agree with you Scott! 

And yes, I'm watching and loving Burke breaking down defenses, nailing spot up threes, and playing pesky D on Lou Will. He's been a monster. No doubt about it. Top 4 player for us right now. 

BUT, I am trying to take a step back and temper my expectations. Can Burke really do this consistently over the course of an 82 game season? He hasn't been able to before. Even in his short stint with the Mavs in 2019, Burke didn't blow us away like he's doing now. He showed he could be a solid contributor, but nothing worth paying over the min for the guy. These playoffs Burke showed his value as a microwave. He is a 7-8th man in the rotation on a good team and should be paid as such. His value has certainly been bumped, but if the floor was the min before, then I can't see why he should be paid anything more than 4-6 mil now after a hot series. Mavs shouldn't be baited into overpaying for a guy like Burke just because he is hotter than a grease fire right now. 

I want Burke back, but at the right price. If the Mavs sign Burke to the full MLE, our expectations (and our opinions of him) are going to change real fast next season. Burke's shine goes away real quick if he isn't a value guy. 

If I was the Mavs, I'd dump Wright as soon as possible. If Wright's money was gone I'd definitely be more lenient in paying Burke.

(08-22-2020, 04:21 PM)Dirkster21 Wrote: I like Hield. What would it take to trade for Myles Turner? He’s a local guy. I’ve always liked his game.

Significantly more than for Hield. Thats for sure. 

Turner is the prototypical NBA center in todays league. Defends the rim at an elite rate and has range to the 3 point line. Indy has Sabonis, and might not be able to afford both, but they're in a much better position than the Kings and can command a lot more. I'd reckon Brunson, our 2 picks this year, and a 1st round pick in 2025 as the starting point for a Turner trade.

Meanwhile fans on the Kings boards are spit balling a trade of Buddy for THJ+18 straight up and are doubtful the Mavs would accept that offer!

(08-23-2020, 04:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Would the Bulls and Hornets do this?

Boban

Mavs get

OPJ
Batum

Ain't no way in hell am I trading ultimate chemistry guy in Boban for the corpse of Batum and contract of OPJ. Bobi has proven to be an incredibly valuable offensive piece and his chemistry with Luka makes him close to untouchable for me. Unless we're getting back a star, Bobi should be here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Meanwhile fans on the Kings boards are spit balling a trade of Buddy for THJ+18 straight up and are doubtful the Mavs would accept that offer!

And Mavs shouldn't. Hield is only marginally better than THJ and has a horrible contract. I am not "taking" him for THJ without asset attached.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ain't no way in hell am I trading ultimate chemistry guy in Boban

Boban needs to retire a Mav. He is becoming one of Luka's best friends and supporters.
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 10:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan and Kamm, LOL, y'all are basically guaranteeing me that Burke is a Mav next year. We'll see. Let's put it this way - if the Mavs do not retain Burke, then they essentially enter the offseason a significantly worse team than they are today. Burke is the solitary guy on roster who reasonably qualifies to take on that role of the third- or fourth-best (likely fourth-) player on a playoff team  

I'm not guaranteeing anything.  Dallas could have had him for the minimum last summer and passed.  So, there is no telling what they will do.  What I've said is 1. It won't take cap room (as some have said) to sign him and 2. Your estimate of the MLE or more is probably too high.  He hasn't made more than minimum wage since the end of his rookie contract.  Five teams have given up on him and he was cut by Philly (a team desperate for three point shooting) as recently as February.  This isn't some unknown college player getting drafted too high because of a great March Madness run.  He is a known quantity.  He's been a net negative on the court for most of his career.  In fact, he was a net negative during the 8 warm-up games in Orlando.

With all that said, he's been a God send on several occasions since his arrival.  To me, his issue is inconsistency.  He averages good numbers, but it seems to be All-Time Great one game and dud the next.  Recall he had a seeding game where he was 0-8 from three and only scored 2 points in the first playoff game.  Assuming KP is back Tuesday, I suspect Burke will come off the bench again (who would you sit among Maxi, DFS and THJ if KP and Luka are both available?). 

There is a role here that is working.  A huge percentage of Burke's minutes have come next to Curry.  That combo has a net rating of 33.6.  He's played nearly 60% of his minutes next to Luka with a net rating of 16.7.  He has a net rating in the 20's with Boban and MKG.  We have the makings of a bit of a Death Lineup when Luka comes back from rest to play with some combo of Burke, Curry, Boban and MKG.  If Burke is hot, give him more.  If he's not...don't.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 07:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: A huge percentage of Burke's minutes have come next to Curry.

Curry deserves a lot of credit because he spreads the floor like crazy for Burke to have room to operate.
Like Reply
don't touch Hield's contract
the boy can't defend
I would look at Bjelica he is 32 years old is expiring ... excellent shooter
Can you imagine what I would do with Luka
It would not be very expensive ...
Delon + # 18 for Bjelica # 35
Exits Wright's contract
Add a good player
Mavs isn't going to add 2 rookies anyway
2-round selections can sign a 2-way contract
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 07:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 07:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: A huge percentage of Burke's minutes have come next to Curry.

Curry deserves a lot of credit because he spreads the floor like crazy for Burke to have room to operate.

Agreed.  What I find interesting is Curry in the playoffs is Net 0.1 next to Luka and Net 20 next to KP.  He was much better with KP in the regular season also.  I think it is challenging as a creator to play with Luka because he so dominates the ball.  One thing I will say for Burke is he seems to have figured it out.

What will be interesting to me is to see how Brunson reacts to this.  The model for how he becomes a $10 million player is right in front of him if he will embrace it.  I get that he’s spent his entire life running the show.  But, if he can’t make the adjustment to something closer to what Burke has done, then his next contract will be about half the MLE instead of the entire thing.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 07:10 AM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: don't touch Hield's contract
the boy can't defend
Exits Wright's contract
Add a good player

Bear with me for a moment.

Hield is signed on for 4 more years that look like this $24,931,818, $22,977,273, $21,022,727, $19,068,182

With his contract decreasing year after year, it makes it more flexible the longer we have Buddy. Not to mention THJ is roughly being paid the same ($20,025,127 this year, $18,975,000 P/O) 

Hield is without a doubt a better player than THJ.  Not only does he not suffer from the radical swings in shot selection/decision making that THJ has, his skillset just fits the team better. Buddy is the fastest player in NBA history to make 800 threes. He is a career 41% shooter from 3, and he does that on 8.6 attempts a game. He hasn't shot below 39% from three his entire career. Buddy has the same elite shot making Curry brings, and we see by just having a guy like that on the court radically opens up the floor. 

Buddy isn't great on the defensive end, but THJ isn't a defensive maestro either. In fact he's also pretty bad. Routinely forgetting rotations and sometimes just letting people blow right past him. So they're a push on that end, but Buddy is exceedingly a better offensive player. 

Furthermore since the Kings are desperate, and Buddy's value is at an all time low, this is a perfect opportunity to buy low. Mavs could get rid of Wright's contract acquire a better SG, and still maintain flexibility.  

Acquiring Buddy and simultaneously getting off of something like Powell's contract would be a major win. Mavs would only have to get rid of Wright and DFS to maintain a max spot in the Giannis Sweepstakes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Powell is not getting dumped this year. His contract is basically untradable and the Mavs love him.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 02:11 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 12:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Meanwhile fans on the Kings boards are spit balling a trade of Buddy for THJ+18 straight up and are doubtful the Mavs would accept that offer!

And Mavs shouldn't. Hield is only marginally better than THJ and has a horrible contract. I am not "taking" him for THJ without asset attached.
THJ just had the most efficient scoring season of his entire career (58.1 TS%) and by a decent margin. I think people need to start realizing that playing in our system under Carlisle is actually a stat inflater for a lot of role players in particular. Buddy Hield playing in this system getting the open looks he would get, likely puts his name back in the legit conversation not that long ago as to who was the best 3 point shooter in the league. In fact I think he could put up his best efficiency stats of his career, which would blow away what Hardaway does, and put a level of strain on defenses that we haven't really had before. If you look at the gap between THJ average efficiency stats pre Mavs vs post, and apply something similar to Hield, you are looking at a game changing offensive weapon. There's some risk there, but given the lack of assets we have, buy low for high risk, high reward type opportunities are the ones we need to look at.

(08-24-2020, 07:10 AM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: don't touch Hield's contract
the boy can't defend
Exits Wright's contract
Add a good player
Not really interested in trading our first for anyone other than a genuine third option. I quite like the types of players that could be available at that pick.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 10:39 AM)Dundalis Wrote: There's some risk there

I am the last person to promote plan powder, but Hield contract seriously kills all 2021 FA options. Even if Mavs trade Powell and Wright for him (not going to happen, Divac is not in Sacramento anymore), we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap. In this light, I see Hield as a big risk. I am intrigued to take this risk, but only if we get an asset. He is way overpaid with his contract. He might further improve our offense, but defense will stay as it is. 

I think Sacramento might move on from Bogi and return Hield to starting five.
Like Reply
I agree Powell is not getting dumped. Ppl need to take that off their wish-list.

I would try to give away Jackson and Wright one way or another to free up some space. Doing so would allow you to take back a player at MLE level or sign a guy at MLE level into 2021 if you so desire while still keeping open a max slot.

RHJ has some nasty defense. I wonder if you could do a S&T with him & the Raps, sending back Wright who played well for them. That could be a win-win scenario depending on how they view RHJ vs Wright.

Actually I don't think Raps would have bird rights on RHJ so they will have to use exceptions to resign him. I guess a S&T wouldn't work there w/out bird rights but he could be a guy you can get with the rMLE potentially. If you got RHJ for rMLE and used some MLE money for Burke that would be a good start.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 10:55 AM).omahen Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:39 AM)Dundalis Wrote: There's some risk there

I am the last person to promote plan powder, but Hield contract seriously kills all 2021 FA options. Even if Mavs trade Powell and Wright for him (not going to happen, Divac is not in Sacramento anymore), we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap. In this light, I see Hield as a big risk. I am intrigued to take this risk, but only if we get an asset. He is way overpaid with his contract. He might further improve our offense, but defense will stay as it is. 

I think Sacramento might move on from Bogi and return Hield to starting five.

Maybe, but if Hield does come here and tear it up in the way I'm saying, he gets back a lot of his trade value, even with his big contract, which at the end of next season will only have 3 years left on declining base salaries. Even now a lot of teams will look at Hield and imagine best case scenario with him, i.e. being one of the best 3pt shooters in the league on high volume. I'm not really saying we should do it. But a lot of moves people are suggesting involve flipping off the little assets we have for role players on short term deals in the hope that we get Giannis.

I think Luka/KP and Hield at his best with maybe one more starting caliber defensive wing is enough to consistently contend for a ring for a number of years. Given the type of player Hield is, it's one of the moves for a player who seems to be somewhat available that I'd be willing to risk missing on the 2021 FA class tbh, especially given our FA history.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap

Cap is set to be 125 million for the 2021-22 season, which is the summer of 2021. 

If the Mavs traded both Powell and Wright, and renounced the rights to everyone, then they'd have 32,000,000 in space going into the summer of 2021. About 5 mil short of Giannis' max. Any trade of Curry Maxi, or Dodo+3 mil of salary would get you there. Any team would be very interested in taking 1 of those on for free. 

A core of Luka/Buddy/Giannis/KP would be one of the greatest teams ever assembled if they lived up to their expectations. Luka would be 23. KP would be 27. Giannis would be 27, Buddy will be 28. Not only would the team be extremely balanced, but they also are young. That core could theoretically compete for 7 years. 

And the Mavs would still have 1 of Maxi or Curry on top of DFS and Brunson. Which isn't a bad bench at all. Sign Boban for the min, use the Room MLE, and the Mavs would have a filled out bench.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2906...ght-future

https://twitter.com/SpikeEskin/status/12...3842159616

https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/129...4955797504
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 09:10 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Powell is not getting dumped this year. His contract is basically untradable and the Mavs love him.

Pretty much any contract is tradeable, and we need the cap space on Powell's contract. If the MBT won't trade him, then they'd better not be claiming any interest whatsoever in putting a winning team around Luka.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/12...3082676229
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:55 AM)omahen Wrote: we would be over 10 million short of max cap space with 109 cap

Cap is set to be 125 million for the 2021-22 season, which is the summer of 2021. 

The cap isn’t set for next season yet, not to mention 21/22.  Teams have been warned to expect a cut for 20/21.  Some estimate the number for 20/21 will be $109mm down from prior estimate of $115mm.  21/22 would potentially be $115mm under that scenario.  But, no one knows.  Probably best to recalibrate down from $125mm.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 12:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 09:10 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Powell is not getting dumped this year. His contract is basically untradable and the Mavs love him.

Pretty much any contract is tradeable, and we need the cap space on Powell's contract. If the MBT won't trade him, then they'd better not be claiming any interest whatsoever in putting a winning team around Luka.

I just think they aren't going to move Powell. They love him and they will be optimistic that he will return to form (despite evidence that he prob won't). Also why have to waste a pick or two just to unload him when you could get something better without unloading Powell? In 2021 they won't really have ammunition to dump him. He is probably here until at least 2022 when he could be traded as a 1 yr deal or bought out. I am 97% confident he is here at least in 2021.
Like Reply