Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
86.96%
20 86.96%
Knicks
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 11: DAL (6-5) @ NYK (3-9) | 103-106 loss
(11-14-2019, 11:23 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Plus if you read on other basketball boards, most non Mavs fans question these things as well.

It's not fanboy outrage.

"Other message boards think this" isn't much of an argument. Most of the internet is mindless, insta-take venting. The world doesn't have the patience these days to endure the hard work involved in team building.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:30 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: [Image: EJYp-t4VAAA72iD.jpg:large]
RC and Garrett must be long lost brothers.
Like Reply
Bullets:
  • The Mavs are no longer a playoff contender until they prove us wrong. Some will point out the fact that random losses in November are not decisive, but in the West they kinda are. This was by far the easiest stretch of games and a good opportunity to get some wins, and we lost to the fucking Knicks twice. That's unacceptable and will cost you long-term. I don't care what Skin and Co are trying to sell you.
  • Here's my darkest timeline to those that think we are the bright future Mavs. We have little room to improve next season and Luka definitely won't be content with missing the playoffs in his first three seasons in the NBA. Let that sink in. He is a winner and wants to win. He needs to get to the playoffs asap.
  • You can't prevent big shots like the one from Morris. Kleber with some outstanding defense, just better offense. What you can control though is not playing like ass against the worst team in the league. The Mavs asked for the loss and got it.
  • Gotta point to toughness as well: I think we caught the Knicks at the worst possible timing. KP return, front office calling them out. But that's why you have to match their intensity. They didn't do it six days ago and again tonight. Dallas is one of the best rebounding teams and just got trashed on the boards and in the paint. Horrible effort.
  • My main issue with THJ is not that he's inefficient and one of the worst defenders on the team. It's more that just like Barnes or Wes, he doesn't fit our system. I hope Rick finally realizes that he has to change something, and trying Jackson in THJ's role is worth a shot.
  • What happened to Seth Curry? He's not looking like a good player to be honest. Neither does Brunson.
  • Starting Powell tonight was boneheaded. It's easy to point to his stats vs. Kleber and say he's had a better game, but let me tell you that he didn't. He had exactly one good stretch with a three and a basket. Otherwise he was missing wide-open layups and continues to be a shot show on defense.
  • Talking about defense: Mavs are a good offensive team, but the lack of defense means you are not as likely to survive off-nights. This is going to be a pretty up and down season imho.
  • Luka's sub pattern has to change: He normally plays 12 + 6 + 12 + 6, but it's been obvious that he needs to much time in the fourth to get back into a groove. In the second half it would be better to split it 9 + 9, at least in close games. If you have a chance to blow the game wide open, can still play him the entire third.
  • I liked KP. He showed grit and did bounce back some. Not the monster game I was hoping though. Unfortunately we continue to utilize him badly. He's not a good post-up player and we treat him like prime Dirk. It's costing us.
  • I didn't understand Luka driving to the basket late when we were down three. Whether that was him or Rick, it was a bad decision. We were out of timeouts with a foul to give and it was pretty clear we wouldn't be able to get a good shot off at that point.
  • Luka's threes become a good indicator of the supporting cast sucking. Him throwing them up is a sign of not getting enough help. I still fell like he could avoid the difficult step-backs here and there, but this loss is obviously not on him. Another triple double.
  • Kudos to the MSG btw. They gave it to KP and the Mavs. Loved the "asshole" chants. That's what decent fans should do to visiting players every fucking night. Atmosphere definitely was a factor.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
Fif. I said a chucking 3 pt offense is going to kill this team. I said this in preseason. I don’t mind losses when I see teams doing the right thing but are overmatched. This offense is not the right one for a team having two stars who can get a shot closer to the basket whenever they want. It’s plain lazy basketball.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:29 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:26 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Maybe it's not even Carlisle but his assistant coaches.

Maybe it's that building a good team takes time and hard work.
For the record, that was not my comment.

Oops, my bad! Hard to sort though the nested threads!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 10:51 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: rick blows.  yall can keep making excuses for him but real fans can see it and its a matter of time before luka does and wants out. he doesn't manage anything about the game right? timeouts, defensive adjustments, 3 point chuckin offense, never fouling up 3, benching players and fing their heads up mentally. He needs veterans already and even the vets have to put their foot down about stuff. Sad thing is who out there is a better replacement now?

[Image: c1825a44-79a5-495c-a6cb-8255d4e17842-nba-1-1280x720.jpg]

Not gonna happen, since it ain't legal. Yet...

Tongue

But seriously, he's been lookin great, ever since he moved to Hawaii.
Like Reply
Imo the frustration is the same as Garrett although the Cowboys are much more talented at this point. It's about getting the most out of your talent. The Cowboys have Superbowl talent and probably will miss the playoffs with how hard their remaining schedule is.

The Mavs clearly aren't championship contenders, but as good as Luka is in year 2 playoffs have to be the standard even if it's the 8 seed. Fans are frustrated because we aren't winning the games we should absolutely win. When we lost to Portland and the Lakers, everyone for the most part on here was cool about. We were happy with the effort and we could have won both games if not for some bad luck. You take those losses in stride expecting to win the easy games. Nobody expects this team to win 50 games this year. Most everyone expects to beat the bottom feeders.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This place is more toxic now than it was through the tanking years.

I love ya Fif, but criticizing the coach after 2 losses in the same week against the worst team in the NBA isn't toxic, its justified.

And this is after the Mavs put together underwhelming outings with terrible basketball against the Cavs (let them hung around the entire game), Orlando (a game they should've lost) Memphis (let them hung around the whole game x2) and Boston, with 2 awful losses to the lowly Knicks. 

6 straight games of really terrible basketball. I figure after tonight this is a healthy boiling over to vent justified frustrations for a coach who is lauded for his accomplishments.

I believe in Carlisle, in the sense that I think he can right the ship. BUT every game its more of the same so far this year. Too many out of the box adjustments that builds no consistency, and a lack of focus on defense and smart shots. If Carlisle wants to build a team then build it! Stop changing every lineup and rotation every night. You can't build anything from that. Add onto incredibly controversial rotations, such as sitting Luka for 7 minutes in the 4th after he just scored 15 points in 2 minutes, that all falls on the coach.

The team looks disheartened, and unmotivated. 

Our offense has boiled down to letting Luka find the open man standing around the 3 point line and hoping they can hit the shot. Luka is so good that it works, but to say that's the best our offense can be is disheartening. 

Unfortunately I don't think there are any clear cut better replacements, and I think Cuban would need like 3 years before he ever put RC on the hot seat.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:34 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Fif. I said a chucking 3 pt offense is going to kill this team. I said this in preseason. I don’t mind losses when I see teams doing the right thing but are overmatched. This offense is not the right one for a team having two stars who can get a shot closer to the basket whenever they want. It’s plain lazy basketball.

We'll see if you're right. Too soon to tell. The offense isn't supposed to be chucking, it's supposed to be taking good 3pt looks that flow from the offense. We'll see.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This place is more toxic now than it was through the tanking years. It's crazy that such a high percentage of you guys just blame the coach. I just read through your reasoning and I don't see a compelling argument against the coach in the whole thread, just a bunch of venting based on a belief that what you would have done would work better.

Nah. Give me this coach, this roster and give them some time to sort some things out and I think we'll see this thing play pretty well. We've seen glimpses if it and we've also seen that it's a work in progress.

I'll watch them work it out and enjoy the process rather than expect a new, young roster to have it all immediately figured out.

Losses are frustrating, especially to bad teams, but losses are part of the process.
I think Carlisle is working through a new roster and just needs time.

BUT I  cannot for the life of me understand his Luka rotations for the 4th qtr.  Luka went out hot at then end of the 3rd and sits until 5:53 left.  

He's been doing this for several games now....why sit him that long and then expect him to pick up right where he left off rolling into crunch time?
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:34 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Fif. I said a chucking 3 pt offense is going to kill this team.  I said this in preseason.  I don’t mind losses when I see teams doing the right thing but are overmatched.  This offense is not the right one for a team having two stars who can get a shot closer to the basket whenever they want.  It’s plain lazy basketball.
Signed
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 08:53 PM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: Porzingis hurts this team so much. Every time he misses the Knicks get a easy runaway basket.

Porzingis is not good as we thought he would be. He will never be Dirk

(11-14-2019, 11:35 PM)Davevoid Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 10:51 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: rick blows.  yall can keep making excuses for him but real fans can see it and its a matter of time before luka does and wants out. he doesn't manage anything about the game right? timeouts, defensive adjustments, 3 point chuckin offense, never fouling up 3, benching players and fing their heads up mentally. He needs veterans already and even the vets have to put their foot down about stuff. Sad thing is who out there is a better replacement now?

[Image: c1825a44-79a5-495c-a6cb-8255d4e17842-nba-1-1280x720.jpg]

Not gonna happen, since it ain't legal. Yet...

Tongue

But seriously, he's been lookin great, ever since he moved to Hawaii.

He looks like he's in the Mafia.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:39 PM)Chrisjen Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This place is more toxic now than it was through the tanking years. It's crazy that such a high percentage of you guys just blame the coach. I just read through your reasoning and I don't see a compelling argument against the coach in the whole thread, just a bunch of venting based on a belief that what you would have done would work better.

Nah. Give me this coach, this roster and give them some time to sort some things out and I think we'll see this thing play pretty well. We've seen glimpses if it and we've also seen that it's a work in progress.

I'll watch them work it out and enjoy the process rather than expect a new, young roster to have it all immediately figured out.

Losses are frustrating, especially to bad teams, but losses are part of the process.
I think Carlisle is working through a new roster and just needs time.

BUT I  cannot for the life of me understand his Luka rotations for the 4th qtr.  Luka went out hot at then end of the 3rd and sits until 5:53 left.  

He's been doing this for several games now....why sit him that long and then expect him to pick up right where he left off rolling into crunch time?
This is exactly my frustration. Had KP and Luka played the final 8-9 minutes and we lost, I would have been able to handle it much better. Leaving your 2 best players on the bench in a very needed game is crazy.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:32 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 11:30 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: [Image: EJYp-t4VAAA72iD.jpg:large]
RC and Garrett must be long lost brothers.
Well, at least RC won't lose to to the Packers every single time.
Like Reply
Guys, the Mavs don't move WITHOUT the ball well enough to compete in the NBA.  And their screens are not effective enough.  You cannot compete with NBA defenses like that.

Another thing the Mavs don't do is this.  When a player gets into trouble with the ball, another Mav has to come to the ball and help, but they don't do that.  It happened tonight, a couple times, resulting in turnovers.

Again, another problem is the lack of paying attention and blocking out, which results in teams getting so many easy put backs.

These are all fundamentals of the game.  If RC cannot get these guys to improve in these areas, either get rid of him or hire some assistant coaches who can teach the players how to play NBA ball.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/119...8766319617
Like Reply
[/quote]
Powell can't defend, rebound or shoot. And he's playing 29 minutes. Same goes to THJ. How are those two playing for us in crunch time? Curry, Wright, Kleber, Brunson are STREAKY. Only guy I liked today besides our MVP was Marjanovic (saved us at least 3 times when we bricked).
[/quote]

There was less fluid rotation before Powell came back. Rick play Maxi and Jackson more minutes. Powell does great things offensively, that .1 second layup was amazing but defensively, when he is ISO with the streaky shooter (remember AD) he can't lockdown for spit.

He gives in to space, if I was a PF or C I go for the rim against Powell.

Julius Randle knows this when he faces Powell to go for it.

[Image: Screenshot-20191114-223839-2.png]

[Image: Screenshot-20191114-223922-2.png]

[Image: Screenshot-20191114-224004-2.png]

[Image: Screenshot-20191114-224242-2.png]
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love ya Fif, but criticizing the coach after 2 losses in the same week against the worst team in the NBA isn't toxic, its justified.

You're just saying that the losing justifies the criticism. But that's not good logic. The losing could be coaching, it could be roster quality, it could be that this new, young team is a work in progress, or it could be something else.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/119...7433142272

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/119...8263853061
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 11:45 PM)mtrot Wrote: Guys, the Mavs don't move WITHOUT the ball well enough to compete in the NBA.  And their screens are not effective enough.  You cannot compete with NBA defenses like that.

Another thing the Mavs don't do is this.  When a player gets into trouble with the ball, another Mav has to come to the ball and help, but they don't do that.  It happened tonight, a couple times, resulting in turnovers.

Again, another problem is the lack of paying attention and blocking out, which results in teams getting so many easy put backs.

These are all fundamentals of the game.  If RC cannot get these guys to improve in these areas, either get rid of him or hire some assistant coaches who can teach the players how to play NBA ball.

I'm not sure if bad at boxing out, a lack of screen assists is on the coach alone. But these are facts the same as 3pt chucking. 

Nobody of us knows if indeed Rick is at fault here, we assume responsibility.

Who else could be responsible?

It's highly likely it is by design to some degree, which should be on the coaching staff.

The players to me at least do not look incapable to me.
Like Reply