Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Prediction: We will Start a Traditional Center
KP is the PF

Power Forward - 

The Power Forward is the tallest player on each team, playing near the basket. On offense, the Power Forward tries to score on close shots and rebound. But on defense, the Power Forward tries to block opponents' shots and rebound their misses.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
Is this just a game of semantics and sorting out the best labels?

The Mavs have a set of big players who have to play close to the basket on offense to have any impact. They have other big players who can shoot from the perimeter. And it's fairly easy to separate one group from the other. KP is clearly in the latter group.

It certainly makes sense that they would pair up an inside guy with an outside guy, when they allot minutes. That's how the roster is constructed, and how they have been using their players for years. When you have players, you have to figure out how they can get minutes they deserve. Even if you change the coach, it's the very same players with the very same skills.

Personally I'd rather see them change the mix -- I think they are held back by the choices they have made. But as long as this is the roster they have, it makes sense they'd use their players in a logical way.
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 01:15 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/housemavericks/statu...67430?s=21

I’m a fan of both of these 5 man units. Idc who you want to call the 5 between KP and Maxi.

Doesn't seem like either of these are on the table, if Kidd's recent quote is to be taken seriously. I suppose there's an outside chance that he's thinking of Kleber playing the 5 on offense, but I feel like we're headed for another shot for Powell or MAYBE WCS. 

If Boban is the opening day starter, I'm out.
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 01:39 PM)Hypermav Wrote: The Power Forward is the tallest player on each team, playing near the basket. On offense, the Power Forward tries to score on close shots and rebound. But on defense, the Power Forward tries to block opponents' shots and rebound their misses.  Smile

Is that from Websters 1958 Edition?
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ClutchDirk, embellisher
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 02:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is that from Websters 1958 Edition?

Yes, it is the definition of a center that was redefined in our modern world to be a power forward so that a certain tall player on the Mavs could be the best player he can be.
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 01:43 PM)F Gump Wrote: Is this just a game of semantics and sorting out the best labels?

I guess it's interesting to think about what a new coach might do. So maybe not "just" semantics. 

I agree with you on offense that one might want to pair a shooter and a close to the basket guy. You put KP in the "shooter" category. But Kidd has said things that make it sound like he wants to let KP set screens, roll, and post up, as well as shoot. To me, that puts KP in a "both" category, that would mostly play with the "shooter" category, so that he can set screens, roll and post up (just basing this on Coach's comments).

So maybe the offensive categories are (let's include DFS as the small ball 4):

Inside: DP, WCS, Boban, Moses
Outside: DFS, Maxi
Both: KP

If Kidd wants KP to set screens and post up, he may not play him with an inside guy. 
So offense suggests KP plays with Maxi and DFS mostly, and the other guys a little. 

But I think defense needs to be considered. On that side you have guys that can guard wings and guys who can't. I don't think you want two "can't guard wings" on the court. So...

Can guard wings: DFS, Maxi, DP
Can't guard wings: KP, WCS, Boban, Moses

Defense suggest KP plays with DFS, Maxi or DP.

So, if Coach goes by my Venn diagram (he probably won't, but what else do you want to talk about), then...

The Venn diagram suggests KP plays mostly with Maxi and DFS, but some with DP. 

Alrighty then, Senior Gump...tell me there's nothing to see here and that all this is obvious and that there's no need to put all this thought into this. :-)
Like Reply
Fellows! Powell, WCS and Boban are not starting caliber players! How many times do I shave to tell you! I’m down to give Moses a shot, but I have my doubts about that as well. Best 6 players are Luka, KP, THJ, Maxi, DFS, Bullock. Any combo of these 6 should be starting!
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BasketballJones41, mvossman
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 03:50 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: How many times do I shave to tell you!

What did you say?
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 03:50 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Fellows! Powell, WCS and Boban are not starting caliber players! How many times do I shave to tell you! I’m down to give Moses a shot, but I have my doubts about that as well. Best 6 players are Luka, KP, THJ, Maxi, DFS, Bullock. Any combo of these 6 should be starting!

Tell JKidd, not us.
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 04:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Tell JKidd, not us.

Jason better watch it or I’ll spit French fries on him and hit him with a yogurt.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 03:44 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I guess it's interesting to think about what a new coach might do. So maybe not "just" semantics. 

I agree with you on offense that one might want to pair a shooter and a close to the basket guy. You put KP in the "shooter" category. But Kidd has said things that make it sound like he wants to let KP set screens, roll, and post up, as well as shoot. To me, that puts KP in a "both" category, that would mostly play with the "shooter" category, so that he can set screens, roll and post up (just basing this on Coach's comments).

So maybe the offensive categories are (let's include DFS as the small ball 4):

Inside: DP, WCS, Boban, Moses
Outside: DFS, Maxi
Both: KP

If Kidd wants KP to set screens and post up, he may not play him with an inside guy. 
So offense suggests KP plays with Maxi and DFS mostly, and the other guys a little. 

But I think defense needs to be considered. On that side you have guys that can guard wings and guys who can't. I don't think you want two "can't guard wings" on the court. So...

Can guard wings: DFS, Maxi, DP
Can't guard wings: KP, WCS, Boban, Moses

Defense suggest KP plays with DFS, Maxi or DP.

So, if Coach goes by my Venn diagram (he probably won't, but what else do you want to talk about), then...

The Venn diagram suggests KP plays mostly with Maxi and DFS, but some with DP. 

Alrighty then, Senior Gump...tell me there's nothing to see here and that all this is obvious and that there's no need to put all this thought into this. :-)

What you say sounds generally right to me.

I have some basic observations:
1 I will say again - the Mavs have 4 players under contract whose only real role is "inside big guy" (DP, WCS, Boban, Brown). That pretty much tells us that we will see one of those 4 guys on the floor during most of the game, whether we think that sort of roster construction (dictating that sort of rotation) makes sense or not.  
2 That means KP mostly plays outside big guy by default. You can't play two guys on the inside. But is outside big guy his best role? I dunno.
3 In strategizing, I strongly believe there is way less value to be derived from KP becoming a "Jack of all trades" and way more to be derived from him finding a role that he can be elite at, and threaten the opposition when he does so. Whatever the role.
4 The labels don't matter. It's about roles. And it's a fair observation that, in theory, KP could be used in varying roles, that might change from game to game and even during games, so trying to assign him a position name in advance is imo somewhat silly.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • embellisher, fifteenth
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1443270653445029888
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • ClutchDirk, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Maxi being a bench player again is good news to me...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Wonder what a poll would show as to who everybody thinks is the idea starter next to KP from the current roster we have today...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 05:32 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Maxi being a bench player again is good news to me...

You were supposed to destroy the Sith not join them
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ClutchDirk, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 05:32 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Maxi being a bench player again is good news to me...

Whatever his role, it needs to be limited to 20-25 mpg. He is much better on D with shorter minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes embellisher's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Maybe we should stop thinking of the center position in terms of starters and backups and think more about matchups.

https://twitter.com/LockedOnMavs/status/...9854354435
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 07:16 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: You were supposed to destroy the Sith not join them

[Image: lackoffaith-disturbing.gif]
Like Reply
And it will remain unclear how Porzingis and Powell will work together in what Kidd has referred to as “interchangeable” frontcourt roles that will depend more on matchups than on positional definitions.

“I think KP’s going to thrive in whatever position he’s put in this season,” Powell said. “I’m sure about that.”

DMN

Huh, that was fast.
Like Reply