Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
(08-06-2021, 09:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Its the RFA status that complicates things for Lauri.

If he wants to come here on a cheap deal, CHI can just match it and keep him there, thus he has to be SnT. And if he's getting SnT, he needs 3 guaranteed years at the minimum for it to be a legal contract. So a 3 year deal with a PO is illegal. So it becomes a tricky situation where the Mavs need to create a deal that both satisfices CHI while not cleaning out what's left of the cupboard. 

It can be done. I can see CHI being interested in Powell given how thin they are at center (they really only have Vucevic. Seriously). I'm starting to sell some of my Maxi stock after his 2 playoff performances and wouldn't be torn if he was in a Lauri deal. 

FGump illustrated the simplest way would be a deal centered around Maxi and Lauri being willing to take a 3/42 deal. I think that satisfies all parties. I just don't think the Mavs want to give up Maxi for Lauri alone.

I think you missed the point.
RFA doesn't complicate things for the Mavs.
Mavs don't want to give up assets for him. Lauri has to want to come here and force his way here by threatening to sign the QO where Chicago gets nothing when he leaves next year. 

Mavs don't want Lauri on a big deal or to give any value to trade for him. So if that scenario doesn't happen, it's not going to happen. OR at least all of that is my opinion.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 10:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: I trust that this is what Stein is being told. Today. (But not yesterday, of course.)

I don't believe it accurately reflects what anyone was trying to do, nor what they are thinking going forward.

It implies TOR just had no desire to let go of Dragic, and is completely committed to him. BS.

It implies DAL made super-strong offers in terms of value, and TOR wouldn't even listen. BS.

It gives no indication that Dragic/Duffy had any role in any of the outcome. BS.

This is about the 10th or 15th different "version" of the situation, depending on whose side is talking, who in the media they are talking to, and what day of the week it is. That's way too many truths to think we are ever hearing anything that's without an agenda. Including now.

That's not to say that we'll ever see Dragic in Dallas this season. Whether that eventually happens or not, who knows.

I know this much - there is a deal here waiting to be made where each can gain a little something if they all work together to compromise and give up something. But there may be too many sides all looking for someone else to do the giving, while they get what they want.

That may be so, but it still looks like Toronto is keeping him for the time being either way.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:15 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I think you missed the point.
RFA doesn't complicate things for the Mavs.

He didn't miss the point. LM's RFA status does take certain alternatives off the board for the Mavs, in this context.

The Mavs, with no more than a 9.5M MLE contract offer possible to LM, can't simply opt for signing LM at a short term, highly attractive price for the Mavs, just to get LM out of CHI. If they did it would be pointless, because the Bulls would just match that deal.

Instead, the Mavs MUST work via a sign-and-trade, which means it's a 3 year minimum length, and also has to be traded by the Bulls (adding matching and also value-to-Bulls issues).
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:23 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: That may be so, but it still looks like Toronto is keeping him for the time being either way.

So it would appear. Based on the latest reports. Which have changed repeatedly, and considerably, and almost daily. But these are the final word this time. And will not be altered. Set in stone this time. (Until "the time being" ends and new "truth" comes out, of course.) (Which may happen tomorrow. Or maybe never.)
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 10:47 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Don't think I'd do that. Gotta maintain some sort of pipeline.
Isn’t LM and White improving the pipeline?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Deep Cuts:  Did Tyreke Evans ever apply to get reinstated?
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:47 PM)cow Wrote: Deep Cuts:  Did Tyreke Evans ever apply to get reinstated?

We really are down bad aren't we? Mark, do you see who you have us talking about?? Get us some talent, man.
[-] The following 5 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • BigDirk41, dynamicalVoid, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:49 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: We really are down bad aren't we? Mark, do you see who you have us talking about?? Get us some talent, man.

Tyreke was great in Memphis.  Addiction sucks.  I'm pulling for him to get back to the league and not specifically the Mavs.  Just trying to break the circular conversations around Dragic and LM.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Isn’t LM and White improving the pipeline?

Agree. Two guys with talent upside that have been stuck in a bad situation. Again I love Maxi, but if Maxi and some combo of Green/Terry nets you those two it’s worth it imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:47 PM)cow Wrote: Deep Cuts:  Did Tyreke Evans ever apply to get reinstated?

That's the deepest of cuts. That's like the hidden bonus track.
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 08:29 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I don’t know exactly where the best place to put this is so I’m just going to leave it here. My free agency predictions:

Kawhi-LAC
Lowery-Miami
Conley-Utah
Lonzo-Chicago
CP3-Phoenix
J Collins-Atlanta or SNT to San Antonio
Schroeder-Knicks but I wouldn’t sleep on him to Dallas
Derozan-LAL SNT for Kuzma and KCP
Dinwiddie-LAC SNT for Kennard
Holmes-Charlotte
THJ-Dallas
Oubre-Knicks
Allen-Cleveland 
Graham-Charlotte
Powell-Portland 
Portis-Milwaukee
Markkanen-Dallas (Wishful thinking)

That’s all completely gut feeling. Of course that could all be shot to hell if Lillard, CJ, Sexton, Simmons or any other big-name gets traded. But that’s how I see it as of right now.

(07-22-2021, 08:33 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: So you don't think we're going to do anything other than re-sign THJ? That would be a tough pill to swallow for Mavs fans.

Man, I just revisited this post from 2 weeks ago. Boy was I naïve. THJ really was our big signing. Don't get me wrong, I really like Bullock and Brown, but if you had told me this is how our offseason was going to go I would have called you crazy.
[-] The following 3 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • BasketballJones41, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 10:27 PM)F Gump Wrote: Powell-Green for LM-White
 Mavs could offer LM starting salary of about 13.2M, which can create a deal at about 3/41M or 4/57M. Is that too much salary for him?
Would love to do that, but I don’t think Powell is the outgoing in a trade with White in it. He’s going into his 3rd year and came off a 15 pt, 5 ast sophomore year. He’s shown to not be what’s needed as a pg next to Lavine. He’s more of the secondary playmaker we are looking for. 

I think Maxi is less value-wise compared to LM (youth being on his side), but in a SnT, a team never gets even value, so that makes it even, or even Dal favored. If Dal favored, that extra value goes to the White swap, because Green is certainly not enough for White. Them needing something behind Vuc tells me WCS is just right on a good enough expiring contract. 

I still think that is light value though which is why I suggested figuring out how to get a first sooner than 2027 would be the right sweetner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 11:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Isn’t LM and White improving the pipeline?

I fell asleep after a re-run of LOTR, woke up with blurry vision.
I thought you wrote:

Isn’t LM the White improving the pipeline?

So.. Lauri is never late nor is he early. He arrives to the Mavs precisely when he means to.

Seriously: Lauri is for the Mavs to lose, and I fear he is another Randle in the making if the Mavs let him go. I hope Maxi isn't included in a trade, but if the Bulls asks for him, so be it. LM > Maxi now, and will be. And I'm a big Maxi fan.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BasketballJones41, BigDirk41, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 03:41 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Lauri is never late nor is he early. He arrives to the Mavs precisely when he means to.

But the fat Luka, he knows. Eyes always watching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 03:41 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I fell asleep after a re-run of LOTR, woke up with blurry vision.
I thought you wrote:

So.. Lauri is never late nor is he early. He arrives to the Mavs precisely when he means to.

Seriously: Lauri is for the Mavs to lose, and I fear he is another Randle in the making if the Mavs let him go. I hope Maxi isn't included in a trade, but if the Bulls asks for him, so be it. LM > Maxi now, and will be. And I'm a big Maxi fan.

Mavs may not even want Lauri.   They probably may not even have the assets or the salary Lauri wants either.   He is a tricky evaluation.   He has had a few nice games against the Mavs where you can really see something.  Although, other times he looks really average to below average.

I agree, if Lauri wants to come to Dallas, lets try to find a way to make it happen.    He has some upside in his game and lets see what he looks like playing with Luka Magic.   I may even move Maxi for him, but that is something I am not settled on.   

It probably won't happen though.
Like Reply
I like that LM is 5 years younger than Maxi.   If Maxi has to go.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • BasketballJones41, BigDirk41
Like Reply
Patty Mills.   I’m not sure if he signed for $6 or $8 million per year, but what a value for the Nets either way.  He was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the Olympics, would have been just what the Mavs need (as a value contract and roster fit) and they easily could have beat that price point.  Did anyone here have Mills connected to Dallas?  Seems like someone may have been asleep at the wheel.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 12:01 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Man, I just revisited this post from 2 weeks ago. Boy was I naïve. THJ really was our big signing. Don't get me wrong, I really like Bullock and Brown, but if you had told me this is how our offseason was going to go I would have called you crazy.
I sure missed big on a few of those didn’t I? I got pretty negative on discord the other day so I don’t wanna go down that rabbit hole again but I am going to be a bit disappointed if Bullock ends up being our big addition.

(08-07-2021, 03:41 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I fell asleep after a re-run of LOTR, woke up with blurry vision.
I thought you wrote:

That’s funny. I was literally watching LOTR last night with my nephew.
Like Reply
Day 5 recap:

Dallas Mavericks sit on their asses and cross fingers for internal improvement from Nate Hinton.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cowboy's post:
  • ClutchDirk, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Doesn't it feel sometimes like Mark Cuban is the guy who hits the lottery and blows it all on beer and Twinkies?  Twice?
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 8 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, From Dirk to Luka, Hypermav, omahen, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply