Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(07-16-2021, 08:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seriously? Have you not read any of opinions about this? I'm pretty sure I've had this conversation with you, specifically. 

1) both players are centers, and can only play in the modern game (we should be able to stop qualifying that with "modern"...it's been years now) at center. 

2) getting through a 7 game series with one center is the trick, nowadays. TWO? That's just not a street I want to travel. 

Reasonable people can disagree, but I'd think the person who hates Rudy Gobert would agree with this perspective. Neither of these guys are as quick and versatile defensively as Gobert (Noel is much, MUCH closer) and you guys want to play them significant minutes TOGETHER?

Noel is more like a hybrid guy. He is like WCS but much better. He isn't like Gobert, Noel is very quick on his feet.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:19 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Noel is more like a hybrid guy. He is like WCS but much better. He isn't like Gobert, Noel is very quick on his feet.

It's not that I don't know the players - I've watched them all play a ton. All three of those guys. 

I would play none of them at the 4 on defense at all. Like, never.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:19 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He is like WCS but much better.

Both WCS and Noel have the munchies but for vastly different reasons.
Like Reply
I wish Wood was available...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:41 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I wish Wood was available...

He WAS! 

@"Kammrath" and I were literally the only ones here who wanted him. People made fun of us.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @Kammrath and I were literally the only ones here who wanted him. People made fun of us.

I miss being made fun of for wanting him....those were the good old days. Much better than what I get made fun of for now.... Smile
Like Reply
Plenty of room with me and Dan on the #TeamTHT bandwagon.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:45 PM)cow Wrote: Plenty of room with me and Dan on #TeamTHT.

Has @"DanSchwartzgan" officially declared for that team? 

I'm pretty sure he just enjoys figuring out cap-legal strategies for acquiring anyone/everyone who comes up.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Has @"DanSchwartzgan" officially declared for that team? 

I'm pretty sure he just enjoys figuring out cap-legal strategies for acquiring anyone/everyone who comes up.

He brought credibility to my inane THT Love.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:49 PM)cow Wrote: He brought credibility to my inane THT Love.

Always had credibility with me, my guy.
Like Reply
Heart 
(07-16-2021, 09:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Always had credibility with me, my guy.

Love you.

But Dan turns what my eyes see into proper basketball analysis.  He did a great breakdown a month or so ago.
Like Reply
RE: THT

I am in "Camp I-Don't-Know" on him. I just feel like there is not enough data on him and the data that is there is iffy. I think he is hard to project. You can see the potential and WINGSPAN...but he feels like someone who could totally bust as well.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: THT

I am in "Camp I-Don't-Know" on him. I just feel like there is not enough data on him and the data that is there is iffy. I think he is hard to project. You can see the potential and WINGSPAN...but he feels like someone who could totally bust as well.

I don't think he'll bust.  His floor right now his a rotational piece and I bet any amount of money he'll be in the league for the next 10 years.  The question is can he become an impact player as a starter.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:02 PM)cow Wrote: I don't think he'll bust.  His floor right now his a rotational piece and I bet any amount of money he'll be in the league for the next 10 years.  The question is can he become an impact player as a starter.

I'm with Kamm about not being sure, but I also feel like your take above is correct. I'd be willing to take a modestly priced stab to get him as a third guard and find out if he can grow into a starting role. Is it possible to pry him out of LA without overpaying? I know this has been discussed, but I have to ask again, sorry.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm with Kamm about not being sure, but I also feel like your take above is correct. I'd be willing to take a modestly priced stab to get him as a third guard and find out if he can grow into a starting role. Is it possible to pry him out of LA without overpaying? I know this has been discussed, but I have to ask again, sorry.

You'd overpay based on potential.  LA will pay him 10M next year.  His max is like 4YR/84M.  I doubt he gets that but 4YR/60M wouldn't surprise me.  No idea if LA would match.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Has @DanSchwartzgan officially declared for that team? 

He's common-law on that team already. No backing out now. Smile

Some people may roll their eyes at this, but hear me out. I personally I think of THT as sorta similar to Chandler Parsons when he was in Houston. Not that he's a similar player, but that he's in a similar situation -- a really good young role player who you're tempted to throw money at based on his potential. He's not your first choice, and he's also probably going to cost way more to sign than anyone thinks he's actually worth. But in the end he could be really good with a larger role. So I wouldn't expect him to be the top priority on this team for this offseason, but I also wouldn't be upset if Dallas ends up giving him a shot if bigger names don't pan out.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:13 PM)Tyler Wrote: He's common-law on that team already. No backing out now. Smile

Some people may roll their eyes at this, but hear me out. I personally I think of THT as sorta similar to Chandler Parsons when he was in Houston. Not that he's a similar player, but that he's in a similar situation -- a really good young role player who you're tempted to throw money at based on his potential. He's not your first choice, and he's also probably going to cost way more to sign than anyone thinks he's actually worth. But in the end he could be really good with a larger role. So I wouldn't expect him to be the top priority on this team for this offseason, but I also wouldn't be upset if Dallas ends up giving him a shot if bigger names don't pan out.

The nice thing about the Parsons/Barnes comp with relation to the Mavs, is that it feels like a much better time to go in on this type of players.  You aren't asking them to be the face of the franchise, you are asking them to take on a bigger supporting role.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: THT

One quick note:

If Kidd WANTS THT then I am all in. He would KNOW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:17 PM)cow Wrote: The nice thing about the Parsons/Barnes comp with relation to the Mavs, is that it feels like a much better time to go in on this type of players.  You aren't asking them to be the face of the franchise, you are asking them to take on a bigger supporting role.

Eh, that analogy limps. Dirk was still here when we went after those deadbeats.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Eh, that analogy limps. Dirk was still here when we went after those deadbeats.

2014 Parsons
2018 Barnes

Parsons was supposed to take the torch from Dirk and be that dude.  Dirk's prime was long over when Barnes got here.
Like Reply