Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(06-12-2021, 08:31 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: What do you guys think of this trade idea:

Mavs trade Kristaps Porzingis to the OKC Thunder for Al Horford and Lu Dort.

And other off season ideas:

1. Trade JRich, JGreen and Tyler Terry for Rucky Rubio,
2. Sign THJ for 20M/year for 3 years
3. Sign Theis for Full MLE,
4. Sign PJ Tucker for BAE,

Potential Roster

Starters:
PG Luka
SG Lu Dort
SF THJ
PF DFS
C Horford

Bench:
PG JB
SG Rubio
SF Tucker
PF Maxi
C Theis

Lu Dort will provide elite perimeter defense alongside Luka. Is an improved scorer. Can and will improve as a shooter.

Horford will provide veteran leadership with years of playoff experience.

Rubio will provide ball-handling, playmaking off the bench. Can potentially play alongside Luka as another perimeter defender.

Theis will provide versatile defense, can shoot the three, roll to the basket, has a mid range shot, will provide hussle and energy off the bench.

I'm on board with everything except the THJ overpay. You have to bring him back in your scenario because we would otherwise have no other offense but Luka and JB, but not at that price. I still believe no other team will offer him that much. Match what anyone else is willing to pay him, which will be less, in any scenario where we have the room and his offense is needed.
Like Reply
OKC loves Dort, they are not giving you Dort in any kind of KP package.
Like Reply
Mavs aren’t giving up assets to get Rubio they may take him for free but not even sure about that. 
Yes he is an excellent passer but he is terrible at shooting. Like one of the worst guards in the league at shooting.
Many better options before the Mavs would even consider Rubio.
Like Reply
Well, I think Rubio can improve as a shooter in Dallas. And, he has had games where he shot the three ball well. But, you really get him for his defense and ability to handle the ball when Luka is not and not turn it over unlike JRich. He is a legit floor general that can run the offense efficiently whenever Luka is not on the floor.
Like Reply
(06-12-2021, 10:05 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Mavs aren’t giving up assets to get Rubio they may take him for free but not even sure about that. 
Yes he is an excellent passer but he is terrible at shooting. Like one of the worst guards in the league at shooting.
Many better options before the Mavs would even consider Rubio.

Sounds to me like someone is not prepared.
Like Reply
Rubio has never been a good shooter for his entire career, that's not changing now.

That said, I'd be okay with trading for him as Luka's backup if all it took was Powell+Burke.
Like Reply
Any Mavs fan will love a Rubio for Powell and Burke trade but the thing is, you have to also look st it from the other side. Why will they trade Rubio for Powell and Burke. They have plenty of scoring guards. Powell is overpaid.

At least, I can see them having a motivation to agree to trading Rubio for young players with potential. And, I can see them having a role for JRich there as 2/3 back up with good defense.

But, I get that many are not that high on Rubio. I am just thinking of ways of improving the Mavs defense and other issues.
Like Reply
We are talking about trading for Rubio.
If they can’t come up with a better trade option then Rubio,  Dallas are screwed.
Like Reply
New trade ideas:

1. Trade Powell and JRich for Jerami Grant,
2. Sign and Trade THJ for Zach Lavine,
3. Trade KP for KAT,
4. Sign Kyle Lowry for MLE

Potential Starting 5:

PG Luka
SG Lavine
SF Grant
PF DFS
C KAT

Sixth Man: Lowry
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 05:41 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: New trade ideas:

3. Trade KP for KAT,

Potential Starting 5:

PG Luka
SG Lavine
SF Grant
PF DFS
C KAT

Is it sane to not like 1 & 3 (if trading KAT away is not a option). And I'd love to keep THJ lol.
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 05:41 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: New trade ideas:

3. Trade KP for KAT,

Potential Starting 5:

PG Luka
SG Lavine
SF Grant
PF DFS
C KAT

I like it.   Although I assume you think Kawhi Leonard re-signs because he would be my first choice at the MLE.   Would be a good sixth man too.   Smile
Like Reply
Kawhi Leonard is on the decline. Won't waste the MLE on him.
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 08:03 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Kawhi Leonard is on the decline. Won't waste the MLE on him.

Vet min?

[Image: tumblr_nj7i41ZUoP1srdis3o1_400.gifv]
Like Reply
(06-12-2021, 10:57 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Well, I think Rubio can improve as a shooter in Dallas. And, he has had games where he shot the three ball well. But, you really get him for his defense and ability to handle the ball when Luka is not and not turn it over unlike JRich. He is a legit floor general that can run the offense efficiently whenever Luka is not on the floor.

I don't think Rubio would be a bad idea depending on other moves. Wolves will want some cap relief but won't require assets. Rubios shooting is not a problem because he would be running the bench. We need someone to relieve Doncic when he is sitting. Rubio helped the Sun's even as a starter because they had shooting. It would be the same case in Dallas.

If I could get Rubio I would be thrilled. We need someone who can throw a g-damn entry pass to our bigs.
Like Reply
Assuming THJ and KP stay, this is the list of players that will make me say the offseason was ok, let's say a B-. I can see any of them making our team better and raising the ceiling. Plus rMLE and BaE of course.

CP3, Lowry, Conley, DeRozan, Collins, Ball, Graham, Robinson

Following guys are something I would call a meh option, but still satisfied. Grade C

Markkanen, Holmes, Allen, Robinson, Trent

Anything else I give a bad grade, unless there are two solid players coming (while keeping THJ and KP), for example OPJ and THT. Although I don't think we can utilize so many palyers, taking into account another two for rMLE and BaE.

There are a million possible non THJ or non KP or non both options, so impossible to give anything in advance.
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 11:58 AM)omahen Wrote: Assuming THJ and KP stay, this is the list of players that will make me say the offseason was ok, let's say a B-. I can see any of them making our team better and raising the ceiling. Plus rMLE and BaE of course.

CP3, Lowry, Conley, DeRozan, Collins, Ball, Graham, Robinson

Following guys are something I would call a meh option, but still satisfied. Grade C

Markkanen, Holmes, Allen, Robinson, Trent

Anything else I give a bad grade, unless there are two solid players coming (while keeping THJ and KP), for example OPJ and THT. Although I don't think we can utilize so many palyers, taking into account another two for rMLE and BaE.

There are a million possible non THJ or non KP or non both options, so impossible to give anything in advance.
Have to agree that keeping both of them makes the offseason grade no better than that B-. Question? If we’re keeping THJ, don’t we also have to figure out a way to work over the cap to get the full MLE? I think that has to be the case otherwise the score can be no better than C+.
Like Reply
Getting Ball Adams and Hart from the Pels would be A+
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 12:51 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Getting Ball Adams and Hart from the Pels would be A+

It would also cost all of our non-Luka players and about three unprotected future firsts.
Like Reply
(06-13-2021, 12:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Have to agree that keeping both of them makes the offseason grade no better than that B-. Question? If we’re keeping THJ, don’t we also have to figure out a way to work over the cap to get the full MLE? I think that has to be the case otherwise the score can be no better than C+.
I say C+, but if their way of doing it is to pay THJ more than a reasonable amount for a 6th man, then the score could get worse!
Like Reply
I give an F for rating the offseason before the offseason.

BTW if the Luka is not on the team in 5 years, I give an F for that offseason.

If we don't win a title in the next 5 years, I give an F.  

I give this post an F.
Like Reply