Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(04-07-2021, 03:40 PM)Mapka Wrote: Yeah, don´t want to be involved with dumb and dumber (again). Don´t want to pay for shuffling Powell into a kind of similar player. There will somebody like Alex Len or Aaron Baynes left without a dance partner to be my X for the BAE.

Waiting around is what got us into the WCS situation.  This year, Dumb and Dumber (again) would be far preferable to WCS/Boban and less expensive.  D12 on a ~3M contract next year would be an amazing get.  Len is a big no thank you.  Wouldn't mind Baynes.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 03:48 PM)omahen Wrote: This is new to me. I follow Hollinger on The Athletic and Twitter and haven't seen this one. The only mention of Mavs in todays piece:

teams like Dallas and Miami and others could find a way to lure him away. (speaking about CP3 - not saying that this is actually their plan)

https://theathletic.com/2504113/2021/04/...e-options/

Man CP3 getting another big deal. Altho to me if he gets another deal wouldn't it be a Phoenix extension? He wanted to go there and the team has played great so why wouldn't they pay up if that's what it takes?
Like Reply
Just tire kicking this CP3 thing (which I have been against thus far), if you are replacing THJ + J Rich for CP3 that seems like a clear upgrade assuming he doesn't drop off soon.

You would need to find a shooter with the smaller MLE so that could be a problem. Having two all-time great passers and losing your best shooter would be tricky. I do think CP3 would help get KP the ball in advantageous situations.

Regarding the money, CP3 would be taking a pretty big haircut in year 1 unless Mavs traded Powell away to free up more space. I realize CP3 could make more in a 3 year 100 mil contract but year one still might be 9 mil or so less than he would have made opted-in. Furthermore why wouldn't Phoenix just give him a 2 year extension? Then he gets his 44 mil + whatever he gets in the extension. That seems more likely.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 03:34 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...23939?s=21

Also an idea I have kicked around is a Powell, Rubio trade that frees up future money and brings in a still useful passer for not much. Not sure if Minney has use for Powell but Rubio doesn't seem to be a good fit there.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 02:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A Redick sign and trade is an unlikely scenario and I don´t think any team will offer him more than the BAE anyway. Maybe the Mavs could steal a 2nd round pick from the Nets or 76ers but that´s it. More likely that he just walks away. He probably signs a vet mind deal with the 76ers or Nets.

I know you’re not a fan, but I think the league’s opinion of Redick is much higher than yours. I don’t think his stint in New Orleans this year was indicative of his current potential as a player, even given his age. I am cautiously hopeful that he will make an impact here to end the season, and even if he doesn’t I think he’s the type of player whose stature will bring him a pretty nice payday for one or two more years. 

We’ll see.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know you’re not a fan, but I think the league’s opinion of Redick is much higher than yours. I don’t think his stint in New Orleans this year was indicative of his current potential as a player, even given his age. I am cautiously hopeful that he will make an impact here to end the season, and even if he doesn’t I think he’s the type of player whose stature will bring him a pretty nice payday for one or two more years. 

We’ll see.

Just looking at comparable players. Redick will be 37 in just a few month. Korver signed his last contract at the same age. Was waived a few month later and signed a vet min deal with the Bucks. Maybe his reputation will land him one more contract but I think any team that offers him more than the BAE will regret it.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 02:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A Redick sign and trade is an unlikely scenario and I don´t think any team will offer him more than the BAE anyway.  

I will take the over.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 03:34 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...23939?s=21

IF this is true, then it seems like the Mavs are not thinking JB is that player. It sure seems then that they would be using JB as trade bait to GET that particular guy....right?
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Man CP3 getting another big deal. Altho to me if he gets another deal wouldn't it be a Phoenix extension?  

Two words...       Robert       Sarver
Like Reply
Is the Hollinger bit in here?

https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status...6751232000
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: IF this is true, then it seems like the Mavs are not thinking JB is that player. It sure seems then that they would be using JB as trade bait to GET that particular guy....right?

Or, maybe JRich is not that player.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:38 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or, maybe JRich is not that player.

But JB sure SEEMS like the future of that and that future seems really close.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:36 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I will take the over.

That would make a sign/trade even more difficult. Mavs would need to use capspace and the returning player would need to be worth more than the THJ/Richardson +MLE combination. Number of years and luxury tax rules make it nearly impossible to do it in a no capspace scenario.
Like Reply
Interesting question: Do we become a PF/C buyout/ring chaser destination, if we manage to S&T for UFAs DeRozan and Lowry?

That seems like a combination of players Carlisle and Cuban would be interested in.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Just tire kicking this CP3 thing (which I have been against thus far), if you are replacing THJ + J Rich for CP3 that seems like a clear upgrade assuming he doesn't drop off soon.

You would need to find a shooter with the smaller MLE so that could be a problem. Having two all-time great passers and losing your best shooter would be tricky. I do think CP3 would help get KP the ball in advantageous situations.

Regarding the money, CP3 would be taking a pretty big haircut in year 1 unless Mavs traded Powell away to free up more space. I realize CP3 could make more in a 3 year 100 mil contract but year one still might be 9 mil or so less than he would have made opted-in. Furthermore why wouldn't Phoenix just give him a 2 year extension? Then he gets his 44 mil + whatever he gets in the extension. That seems more likely.

If you could get the CP3 deal signed at midnight at the start of free agency, he could help you recruit veteran free agents.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:37 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Two words...       Robert       Sarver

Like he will be too cheap? They aren't in luxury tax trouble. Their salary rolls are pretty clean, they can afford to overpay CP3 really just bc they don't really pay anyone else outside of Booker.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Is the Hollinger bit in here?

Just listening, first half hour, nothing about Dallas yet
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:46 PM)cow Wrote: If you could get the CP3 deal signed at midnight at the start of free agency, he could help you recruit veteran free agents.

I am still like why doesn't he just do an opt-in and extend with PHX? They have been a miserable team for many years and are finally relevant and good. He had some choice in where he went when OKC was shopping him and that was a destination he was happy with. I don't see why he would need to go anywhere.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Like he will be too cheap? They aren't in luxury tax trouble. Their salary rolls are pretty clean, they can afford to overpay CP3 really just bc they don't really pay anyone else outside of Booker.

Yup.  $125 on the books for 21-22 if CP3 opts in.  $68 on the books for 22-23 with Ayton and Bridges needed contracts.  They are in really good shape.
Like Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am still like why doesn't he just do an opt-in and extend with PHX? They have been a miserable team for many years and are finally relevant and good. He had some choice in where he went when OKC was shopping him and that was a destination he was happy with. I don't see why he would need to go anywhere.

That seems likely.  He wants to win and he wants his money.  Maybe someone gives him a 3YR/90-100m offer and the Suns don't want to extend him and he considers it.  Could he get a 2YR contract after he opts in in the 23-33m per range?  *shrug*
Like Reply