Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(10-29-2019, 08:59 AM)burekemde Wrote: We should look for a trade. This is one move away from being a great playoff team.

Sure seems like it

(10-26-2019, 10:16 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 07:32 AM)Kkswoosh Wrote: This Mavs team really needs Steven Adams. What would it take to get a deal done?

I came in this thread to put forward the idea of trading for Steven Adams. I see I am not the only one who thinks Adams would be a great complement to Porzingis. Young, agile and great defender. Would be a great fit imo. to

To me he would make an immediate, significant impact. The issue is that KP has had success at center so how do you manage that with Adams eating up at least 30 min at the center position? KP is comfortable at the 4 and can punish smaller players. At the 5 though he makes you pick your poison. Pick a big guy and he will shoot open 3's. Pick a smaller player and he will post them up or just shoot over them closer to the basket. If I could get Adams on the cheap, i.e. THJ + filler I would do it in a heartbeat. THJ is a useful bench player but we have depth on the bench and a starting center would be more valuable.

I don't see Mavs making this type of move any time soon and I also think the Thunder will hold out for a better deal at the TDL or even next summer when Adams is on a 1 year deal. Mavs will also have more pieces to trade at the TDL.
Like Reply
I like Powell a lot but to me Maxi is a more important player. If I am the Mavs, come TDL I would trade Powell, Lee for Adams. OKC would get a good young player and a lot of cap savings. To me that would be a no brainier deal.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 09:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I like Powell a lot but to me Maxi is a more important player. If I am the Mavs, come TDL I would trade Powell, Lee for Adams. OKC would get a good young player and a lot of cap savings. To me that would be a no brainier deal.

Adams is the youngest player in the deal. His contract is bad but looking at OKC related media it seems like they want picks and no longterm salary.
Like Reply
I don’t get this obsession with Adams, this is 2019, not 2005. If he’s on the floor then he clogs the paint on offense. I rather have Maxi and his contract over Adams. Plus THJ seems to have turned a corner with his efficiency. This is a wing league, we’d be fools to trade two wings for a dinosaur center.
Like Reply
If Pels lose play-off hopes early. Lee+a couple of second rounders for JJ Reddick
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 08:03 AM)omahen Wrote: If Pels lose play-off hopes early. Lee+a couple of second rounders for JJ Reddick

Redick has been terrible so far. Nearly unplayable.
Like Reply
I'm not too great when it comes to matching salary but if there was a way to somehow get Otto Porter Jr, Thaddeus Young, or RoCo, I would be for it. I think we could benefit greatly from their skillsets. Porter Jr is getting off to a slow start but he'll pick it up and the Bulls team have a lot of great young players so I don't think they'd let him go. RoCo is a player most teams would line up for if he became available and we don't have much to offer so I don't think that'll be happen. Thaddeus Young just signed with the Bulls this past summer so I don't think either party is ready to move on from each other. 

If none of those players become available, I would be perfectly content with keeping our current roster and letting them build chemistry. We're in no rush. We have our best players under contract for years, and everyone on this roster is talented, top to bottom. Its very possible for someone like Wright, Brunson, or Jackson to develop and become the type of players that we would want to trade for. I like this current team, I like it a lot.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 03:06 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote: I don’t get this obsession with Adams, this is 2019, not 2005. If he’s on the floor then he clogs the paint on offense. I rather have Maxi and his contract over Adams. Plus THJ seems to have turned a corner with his efficiency. This is a wing league, we’d be fools to trade two wings for a dinosaur center.

Pretty sure most of it comes down to he looks really cool.   He's like the new Birdman.   Otherwise he's just another big stiff with a ridiculous contract.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 09:52 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 03:06 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote: I don’t get this obsession with Adams, this is 2019, not 2005. If he’s on the floor then he clogs the paint on offense. I rather have Maxi and his contract over Adams. Plus THJ seems to have turned a corner with his efficiency. This is a wing league, we’d be fools to trade two wings for a dinosaur center.

Pretty sure most of it comes down to he looks really cool.   He's like the new Birdman.   Otherwise he's just another big stiff with a ridiculous contract.

Adams is a good player. Mavs defense would be incredibly stingy with him out there. I like Powell, but I don't see him as a starting center on a contender. Adams can get all the easy buckets Powell gets plus he plays great defense and gets boards. Adams is still only 26. If you could get him for Powell/Lee that would give OKC big cap savings and a good player in return. Adams on this team would not need to log big minutes, you could keep him fresh at 25-30 mpg a night.

Also having 1 guy who can't shoot does not much up the offense. You do not play that guy 48 minutes. GSW and Houston do not play a death smallball lineup 48 minutes a night. Mavs could still close with a small lineup if they want to. DAJ did cause spacing problems but I think Mavs played him too much and Mavs have much better talent to surround a traditional 5 for 25-30 minutes a night.

My starting lineup would be:

Curry
DFS
Luka
KP
Adams

In crunch time you can swap our Adams for DFS or Maxi if you want to run small.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 09:45 AM)TheCustodian Wrote: If none of those players become available, I would be perfectly content with keeping our current roster and letting them build chemistry. We're in no rush. We have our best players under contract for years, and everyone on this roster is talented, top to bottom. Its very possible for someone like Wright, Brunson, or Jackson to develop and become the type of players that we would want to trade for. I like this current team, I like it a lot.
This is exactly where I am at. I have been watching for which of our guys seizes the opportunity in front of them. This applies for moving up their careers all the way down to player 8, as a consistent solid rotation player and is extremely important for those who can reach solid starter on a playoff team status. 

It is great that we are likely to have great growth from within. For potential trades, it puts us in a position of strength as players become available. We simply don't have to reach out of desperation for so-so deals!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 09:45 AM)TheCustodian Wrote: I'm not too great when it comes to matching salary but if there was a way to somehow get Otto Porter Jr, Thaddeus Young, or RoCo, I would be for it. I think we could benefit greatly from their skillsets. Porter Jr is getting off to a slow start but he'll pick it up and the Bulls team have a lot of great young players so I don't think they'd let him go. RoCo is a player most teams would line up for if he became available and we don't have much to offer so I don't think that'll be happen. Thaddeus Young just signed with the Bulls this past summer so I don't think either party is ready to move on from each other. 

If none of those players become available, I would be perfectly content with keeping our current roster and letting them build chemistry. We're in no rush. We have our best players under contract for years, and everyone on this roster is talented, top to bottom. Its very possible for someone like Wright, Brunson, or Jackson to develop and become the type of players that we would want to trade for. I like this current team, I like it a lot.
We are of the same mind here, though TY is a touch long in the tooth, as it applies to this roster, in my opinion. Still a definite upgrade and a valuable addition, for sure. Just last on that list for me.

I like where we are and the mix we have. DAL should be able to compete every night and improve with every passing week, give the age/depth/versatility of this roster. Patience should afford them to be in a position to make an impact level deal at the TDL, if one a rises and they are ready to pull the trigger.
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
Like Reply
Agree with the thoughts above...Id rather wait for internal growth while monitoring the TDL when a team not making the playoffs is willing to offload a valuable player...

It's only game 5 tomorrow of tthis season...no need to rush yet...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 09:52 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:

Adams is a good player. Mavs defense would be incredibly stingy with him out there. I like Powell, but I don't see him as a starting center on a contender. Adams can get all the easy buckets Powell gets plus he plays great defense and gets boards. Adams is still only 26. If you could get him for Powell/Lee that would give OKC big cap savings and a good player in return. Adams on this team would not need to log big minutes, you could keep him fresh at 25-30 mpg a night.

Also having 1 guy who can't shoot does not much up the offense. You do not play that guy 48 minutes. GSW and Houston do not play a death smallball lineup 48 minutes a night. Mavs could still close with a small lineup if they want to. DAJ did cause spacing problems but I think Mavs played him too much and Mavs have much better talent to surround a traditional 5 for 25-30 minutes a night.

My starting lineup would be:

Curry
DFS
Luka
KP
Adams

In crunch time you can swap our Adams for DFS or Maxi if you want to run small.
I agree Adams is a good player, I disagree that he makes a modern defense better. Adams defense is neutralized when you force him to guard on the perimeter, which most teams do nowadays. I concede that Adams is a better post defender, rebounder, and inside scorer. Maxi is better perimeter defender, shot blocker & shooter. I love that KP and Maxi are somewhat interchangeable on defense and somewhat on offense since both can shoot 3s and roll to the rim. 

Also, Maxi at his contract plus another player of similar price is easily more valuable than Adams at his salary.
Like Reply
I don't want to trade Maxi, I would trade Powell and I am saying Adams is a clear upgrade over Powell all the way around. He's even younger than Powell. Adams only has two years on his deal so it's not bad at all. If I could trade Powell + Lee for Adams in a cap-clearing reshuffle for OKC, I would do that easily.

(10-31-2019, 12:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Agree with the thoughts above...Id rather wait for internal growth while monitoring the TDL when a team not making the playoffs is willing to offload a valuable player...

It's only game 5 tomorrow of tthis season...no need to rush yet...

I would agree and Mavs can't really move anyone until the TDL anyway. Mavs could move guys like Jackson or Lee but the most likely deal to be made would be at the TDL when you can trade any of the guys inked this past summer.

Mavs will have a good sample size by then. It's possible Mavs don't make any moves. This team is built to Rick's strengths, which is being able to mix and match talent to his advantage against a given opponent. The Mavs bench is going to be a top bench in the league and I expect more nights like Denver where the bench mob wins games.

Mavs are really healthy right now as well. While everyone is healthy it's very interesting to see how minutes get divided up. You have at least half a dozen guys who can make the case for 20+ minutes a night.
Like Reply
I’m infatuated with the possibility of turning Tim Hardaway, Jr. into Nicolas Batum. There are so many ways to add or subtract value with additional pieces going either or both ways. So getting to a salary match isn’t a problem. (Just add Isaiah Roby is the simplest route.) 

And I'm convinced that, at some point this season or next, Batum is gonna figure out he can be a difference maker again by playing stretch 4/5 on a some contender's second unit. Hope it's ours.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:31 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I’m infatuated with the possibility of turning Tim Hardaway, Jr. into Nicolas Batum. There are so many ways to add or subtract value with additional pieces going either or both ways. So getting to a salary match isn’t a problem. (Just add Isaiah Roby is the simplest route.) 

I have a similar feeling about Otto Porter.  I realize he sucks so far this year, but he'd be a plus defender on a team that needs D and he typically shoots 3's much better than Hardaway or DFS (who he would replace in the starting lineup).  He isn't as easy to match as Batum.  Part of the compensation to Chicago might be absorbing Felicio into the remainder of our TPE.  The trick is doing that without going over the LT.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...9375989761
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:32 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 09:45 AM)TheCustodian Wrote: If none of those players become available, I would be perfectly content with keeping our current roster and letting them build chemistry. We're in no rush. We have our best players under contract for years, and everyone on this roster is talented, top to bottom. Its very possible for someone like Wright, Brunson, or Jackson to develop and become the type of players that we would want to trade for. I like this current team, I like it a lot.
This is exactly where I am at. I have been watching for which of our guys seizes the opportunity in front of them. This applies for moving up their careers all the way down to player 8, as a consistent solid rotation player and is extremely important for those who can reach solid starter on a playoff team status. 

It is great that we are likely to have great growth from within. For potential trades, it puts us in a position of strength as players become available. We simply don't have to reach out of desperation for so-so deals!

I'm fine with holding off with the current roster until next year's trade deadline when you can package Brunson + THJ's $19 million expiring and actually get a player that moves the needle.   This team has plenty of rotation level players (maybe too many), we don't need rotation level players with albatross contracts just for the sake of making a move.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:31 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I’m infatuated with the possibility of turning Tim Hardaway, Jr. into Nicolas Batum. There are so many ways to add or subtract value with additional pieces going either or both ways. So getting to a salary match isn’t a problem. (Just add Isaiah Roby is the simplest route.) 

And I'm convinced that, at some point this season or next, Batum is gonna figure out he can be a difference maker again by playing stretch 4/5 on a some contender's second unit. Hope it's ours.

The trade we kicked around a lot was Batum + Hernangomez for THJ and Lee. I don't think Mavs will do it because it adds more salary next year and it's not a guarantee that Batum is an upgrade over THJ. Mavs won't want to lose flexibility by adding more salary.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 07:22 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

I have a similar feeling about Otto Porter.  I realize he sucks so far this year, but he'd be a plus defender on a team that needs D and he typically shoots 3's much better than Hardaway or DFS (who he would replace in the starting lineup).  He isn't as easy to match as Batum.  Part of the compensation to Chicago might be absorbing Felicio into the remainder of our TPE.  The trick is doing that without going over the LT.

I'd say Porter or Hayward would be most realistic wing targets for an immediate upgrade. Porter we already said, THJ+Lee for Porter and Felicio. Hayward I see as an option in a three way with OKC for Adams, as both OKC and Boston could use lower salaries. 

Other than that, we can hope to translate Lee and TE in draft asset or young player. Dieng and Felicio are just a mountain of bad money to their teams. Miami found some excellent youngsters so Johnson and Waiters are dead money, perhaps they would be also willing to move Olynik.
Like Reply