Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 12:19 PM)cow Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 09:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I don't expect THJ to be traded today.  He's a substantial part of what we do and bringing in Richardson hides his lack of playmaking.  I actually think the odds of an extension are higher than the odds of a trade.

Are you saying Richardson hides THJ's lack of playmaking or the other way around?  Richardson isn't a playmaker.

That’s exactly what I’m saying (and what KOC and that other guy from Dallas are saying on The Ringer).  BBall Index rates Playmaking across 11 different metrics.  Richardson grades out in the 81st percentile with a grade of A-.  

A couple comments on some other news:

The issue with Detroit and Wood S&T is Wood is EB.  If Detroit has cap room, it isn’t limiting.  If they’ve used up most of their cap room with all of their trading (which apparently they have), it limits what Wood can get in a S&T to either the remaining cap room amount or 120% of the average salary.  

I think most likely thing with Charlotte is creating a TPE worth Wright’s salary...not a returning player (assuming it is true).  TPE could be more valuable than anything Charlotte has.

OKC has also created a TPE worth $14.4mm which is the size of Oubre’s salary.  May or may not mean anything, but Wright/Jackson would fit into that TPE.  Gallinari could still be in play.  If that is our direction, I really hope WCS returns too.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 12:19 PM)cow Wrote: Are you saying Richardson hides THJ's lack of playmaking or the other way around?  Richardson isn't a playmaker.

I think josh is now our starting lineup secondary playmaker

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...7040284673
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  May or may not mean anything, but Wright/Jackson would fit into that TPE.  Gallinari could still be in play.

I don't understand this part. You can't combine TPE with players going out. Or you just posted two separate possibilities?
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: That’s exactly what I’m saying (and what KOC and that other guy from Dallas are saying on The Ringer).  BBall Index rates Playmaking across 11 different metrics.  Richardson grades out in the 81st percentile with a grade of A-.  

Maybe the team make up (spacing) of Dallas is a better fit but his offensive game regressed given a bigger offensive responsibility with the 76ers. The trade for Curry plus a pick never happens if he's an A level guy on both ends of the floor.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:28 PM)cow Wrote: Now watch him play "defense" against other premiere 4s and 5s.

Definitely not a finished product on defense, I agree. And he might not ever be great there. That's also a risk. 

But, in a world where one big vs. two is an actual legit conversation, I can see a player like him who offers switchability on defense as being a positive on that end as a fit with KP. I'd say how he handles the pick and roll game defensively is much more crucial than how he handles on ball defense against another 4 or 5, ESPECIALLY as a 2nd big playing WITH KP.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:31 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  May or may not mean anything, but Wright/Jackson would fit into that TPE.  Gallinari could still be in play.

I don't understand this part. You can't combine TPE with players going out. Or you just posted two separate possibilities?

The latter.  I don’t see a way to get Gallinari AND the OKC TPE.  But, I could see a $14mm TPE being useful for an above MLE sign and trade of a free agent.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:34 PM)cow Wrote: his offensive game regressed given a bigger offensive responsibility with the 76ers

That's not true 
He went from leading a team in scoring to being like the 4th option
Like Reply
I like Christian Wood but apparently he's rumored to get starting caliber $$$, like $16-18M/yr according to KOC a month or 2 back. 

If you are sold on his defense than I'd be all in but apparently his defense was why Coach Casey did not play him more, and he knows defense. Then again he did not play Pascal/Van Vleet more in TOR.

Wood would be redundant with Kleber so that's another fan favorite you'd have to let go. Powell is immovable.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:34 PM)cow Wrote: his offensive game regressed given a bigger offensive responsibility with the 76ers

Seems like lots of folks think his offensive game regressed because of the fit with the 76ers and their system. Also, not all the numbers say he regressed much.
Like Reply
LAC: Rozier
DAL: Beverley
CHA: Wright, McGruder, DAL 2nd and LAC pick

Then we could turn around and do Jackson and Brunson for Tucker
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:34 PM)cow Wrote: The trade for Curry plus a pick never happens if he's an A level guy on both ends of the floor.

I think the "plus a pick" thing happened because of their contracts. Seth's contract gives his team more control, more service time
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:34 PM)cow Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: That’s exactly what I’m saying (and what KOC and that other guy from Dallas are saying on The Ringer).  BBall Index rates Playmaking across 11 different metrics.  Richardson grades out in the 81st percentile with a grade of A-.  

Maybe the team make up (spacing) of Dallas is a better fit but his offensive game regressed given a bigger offensive responsibility with the 76ers.  The trade for Curry plus a pick never happens if he's an A level guy on both ends of the floor.

I think you've identified half of the rationale (spacing) and the other half is that while he'd be doing more playmaking here than THJ or DFS did last year, he'd still be doing far less of it than he did in Philly. 

I think what Dan is saying is that his ability simply to handle the ball competently and make decisions with it instantly elevates him to the status of "secondary playmaker" on this roster. 

We all thought they needed a two-way player, and one who could shoot enough to play off of Luka. I've argued that I thought the secondary playmaking part might be more important than the defense part all off-season. With Richardson, the Mavs seem to have gone the OTHER way. They got a defender who can shoot a little and play make a little. Because it's way easier for me to see him as the SECOND best handler on the floor during crunch time than it is for me to see him as the BEST wing shooter during those same minutes, I'm inclined to agree with Dan. It might not work out, but when you add a defender, you've got to try to fit him in on the offensive end, somehow. I do NOT think they've talked themselves into believing Richardson replaces THJ as a floor spacer.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheCrossover/status/...1665451012
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:40 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: LAC: Rozier
DAL: Beverley
CHA: Wright, McGruder, DAL 2nd and LAC pick

Then we could turn around and do Jackson and Brunson for Tucker

They're not bringing Beverley here to come off of the bench, I don't think. That would be a culture disaster.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0994568195

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7313001476

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0758519808
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:39 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Seems like lots of folks think his offensive game regressed because of the fit with the 76ers and their system. Also, not all the numbers say he regressed much.

This isn't me being a stat nerd, more of an eye test having watched him on both teams. I'll be happy to be wrong, but I'm highly skeptical of his creation abilities.
Like Reply
I legit have George Hill circled. I really think @"omahen" is onto something. 

I also like Tucker, but I think HE might be the one redundant with Kleber (way better, but also way older).
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I also like Tucker, but I think HE might be the one redundant with Kleber (way better, but also way older).

But you all want a PF (Wood, Gallo and similar). So why not Tucker as a poor man option.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 12:19 PM)cow Wrote: Are you saying Richardson hides THJ's lack of playmaking or the other way around?  Richardson isn't a playmaker.

I think josh is now our starting lineup secondary playmaker

JRich can do some playmaking. You at least have 4 out of 5 guys in your starting lineup that can create their own shot which is valuable. DFS/Maxi are spacers but can't do anything with the ball. JRich isn't Chris Paul back there but he can do a little bit, probably more than THJ and THJ can do a little bit too.

(11-20-2020, 12:45 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0994568195

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7313001476

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0758519808

Why does cap space matter if it's going to be a trade for Bog? You would be sending salary back so it doesn't matter if you have cap space. Sure Atlanta can sign him and send a pick or something else back. But then Mavs can salary match and send back an asset of Brunson or Bey.
Like Reply