• 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Lightbulb 
[Image: Screenshot-2020-02-12-at-11.53.34-AM.png]

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...7261416450

https://twitter.com/swish41/status/1300194562078638083

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1300193390794080257
Like Reply
I think the Mavs are A LOT closer than we all think. 

1 consistent starter, and 1 consistent bench piece. 

THJ, Wright, Powell, Jackson are obviously all the first choice. I'd even put Kleber or DFS in some trades depending on the player. Brunson isn't safe either.

My first target and a drum I've beaten to death would be Buddy Hield. Kings are looking for a trade partner for him, and he wouldn't cost too much. If buddy was the 3rd option this series the Mavs wouldn't go 11/37 from 3. 

Another target would be Tobias Harris. His contract makes me sick to my stomach. 33, 36, 38, 40 over the next 4 years. Just GROSS. But if Philly wants to take THJ, Wright, Powell, and Jackson and give us Richardson in return, then that'd be totally worth it. Takes us out of the Giannis sweepstakes barring a SnT. But who cares. Mavs get a 20ppg scorer who is an efficient 3rd option, and a big wing who can play D.

And I wonder who the Mavs would be trying to target if they're looking for an enforcer.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
#5 on the salary list just got DNPs in 2 of the last 3 games with a shorthanded team. I generally try to give guys the benefit of the doubt, and it's possible there were mitigating circumstances behind the scenes we don't know about. But you've gotta think he's on the short list for any outgoing trades.
Like Reply
It would probably make sense to decide for one of Powel or Kleber and turn the other into something else.

(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And I wonder who the Mavs would be trying to target if they're looking for an enforcer.

Marcus Morris?  Angel
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Mavs are A LOT closer than we all think.

Once again, I don't get you here. When KP is healthy, we have three worthy starters - Luka, KP, and DFS as the dirtyworker. Everyone else on roster is binarily a bench-level player (assuming THJ has got to go). That means they need two starters.
Like Reply
I wonder what Covid will do to the salary cap
Will it stay 125 million in 2021-22? 
I doubt it. Probably closer to 100 million
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:30 PM)WillE Wrote: It would probably make sense to decide for one of Powel or Kleber and turn the other into something else.

(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And I wonder who the Mavs would be trying to target if they're looking for an enforcer.

Marcus Morris?  Angel
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:42 PM)Jym Wrote: I wonder what Covid will do to the salary cap
Will it stay 125 million in 2021-22? 
I doubt it. Probably closer to 100 million

Another boycott here and there and it will be closer to 90 Smile It all depends if fans will be allowed next season. If not, we will be happy if cap stays at 109, because losses will be huge. I guess cap will be 109 for next season. But Mavs are in a good spot, because they are far from tax. They can afford to take some salaries in trades and there might be teams looking to shed salary.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Mavs are A LOT closer than we all think.

Once again, I don't get you here. When KP is healthy, we have three worthy starters - Luka, KP, and DFS as the dirtyworker. Everyone else on roster is binarily a bench-level player (assuming THJ has got to go). That means they need two starters.

Mavs just took 2 games off the Clips and were competitive in 5 out of the 6 games with this incomplete roster. One could argue that they could've been up 3-2 had the refs called it differently in game 1.  And that's with KP missing 4 out of the 6 games. 

For the Mavs to have beaten arguably the title favorites, they just needed a consistent 3rd scorer, something THJ was not. And a consistent bench player. Something Burke showed flashes of in some games. And in those games the Mavs either blew out the Clips or won in a close showdown.  This team would look entirely different with just filling those 2 roles and having Kleber, DFS, Burke all take a backseat. 

Mavs were incredibly shorthanded this series. No Brunson, no KP, Powell (even with his faults) was out too. And then add in no shows Wright, and Jackson.5 players right there. Factor in THJ's unpredictability and it's no wonder why the Mavs lost. Don't even get me started on Kleber's shooting...

YET despite all of those things, Mavs still looked like they hung with the title favorites. Literally the worst matchup. A lot of that falls on Luka's brilliance, but you also have to give it up to Seth, DFS, Burke, Boban, and even Kleber's defense at times. 

So considering the circumstances, that is why I believe the Mavs are close. Mavs have 2 for sure starters/stars in Luka and KP. and 3 above average to meh players depending on the night in Kleber, DFS, and Curry.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: #5 on the salary list just got DNPs in 2 of the last 3 games with a shorthanded team.

I think you can't give a clearer message that you are not counting on a player anymore. I mean, they will certainly not be just dumping him, but he will be first name on the list of any trade.
Like Reply
I’ve seen Harris and Barnes floated around as potential trade solutions to provide some help on the wing. I think in any trade like that (overpaid players on long term contract) Dallas needs to get a 2021 first round pick. With that being one of the deepest projected drafts, even a pick in the 20s would provide a useful player or asset.
Like Reply
Top 25 UFA Free Agents
Sorted by Highest PPG

[Image: LWR_Recording.png]
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:55 PM)SamStetz Wrote: I’ve seen Harris and Barnes floated around as potential trade solutions to provide some help on the wing. I think in any trade like that (overpaid players on long term contract) Dallas needs to get a 2021 first round pick. With that being one of the deepest projected drafts, even a pick in the 20s would provide a useful player or asset.

I don't think Sixers would give away Harris. They still need talent. I could see the Bulls sending them OPJ + filler because hey they're the Bulls so why not. The Kings don't need to dump Barnes either. He is a good player. Neither would fit the Mavs anyway as we need a wing that is a good defensive player. Once KP is back the offense is just fine.
Like Reply
A question. Every team can use some 5 mil cash in trades. As far as I know we didn't spend that in 2019/20. Is 2020 draft still in the 2019/20 season? Meaning - can we spend the 2019/20 5 million to buy a pick and then another 5 mil in 2020 free agency?
Like Reply
Serge Ibaka is a guy I've always liked. Someone like that playing PF next to KP would be a great fit imo. Since he is an international player and player in Europe maybe he already knows some guys on the Mavs. It would fit with our international bent to have another guy like that.
Like Reply
Out of that 25 co called best UFA, these are the only ones I would be interested in:
- VanVleet (I don't see any chance we could get him)
- Dragic (I am 99% sure he stays in Miami)
- Ibaka (he is worth more than MLE, but I wouldn't spend assets in SnT to get him)
- Bertans will resign with Washington
- Wood - I doubt he comes for MLE
- Millsap - I would sign him for a 1+1, we need some veteran presence and he can still provide
- Crowder - enforcer type we could use
- Harris - if we trade THJ, too bad defensively
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:19 PM)omahen Wrote: Out of that 25 co called best UFA, these are the only ones I would be interested in

Sorting them by PPG probably does not help in a search for 3&D wings.
Like Reply
Don't the Mavs just need a defensive stud that can shoot better than 10 pts 4-15 2-11 1 assist and 1 rebound in an elimination game?  Should be a pretty cheap player to beat that stat line.  Sorry, I am pretty down on THJ.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sorting them by PPG probably does not help in a search for 3&D wings.

And there are players missing. Morris for example is one.
Like Reply
So Davis Bertans. This is a hot name. He is an offense guy for sure but even though I am all ab defense I am also about good asset management. This is a guy half the league wants bc you can never have too much shooting.

For that reason he should be getting more than MLE level money this offseason. That being said wouldn't you know he's Latvian. Gee I wonder if he knows KP?

Between KP and Mavs Euro-friendly, offense friendly environment you would have to think Mavs have a heavy advantage when all other factors are equal.

Wiz just have Bertans early bird rights so you could give him near an MLE in a S&T situation but then why would Bertans do that? He can probably get above MLE money this offseason.

At any rate he is a name to look at just for his Latvian connection and bc he is one of the better non-stars available. He would be a good asset management pickup. Under Rick & Luka he'd be shooting 80% from 3.
Like Reply