Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
Chicago businesses
Option 1
Thj / Jackson / # 18 / Delon for Young / Porter
Option 2
Powell / Delon / # 18 / Jackson for Porter (Delon goes Hawks free,) GM dashboard views recently and well received
I'd do both and watch A.bradley in FA
Like Reply
What are the odds the Mavs keep their picks this offseason? Zero? Also, we know Mavs love to go for broke in big FA years, with 2021 being the next big one. Wright's salary could be a small issue so I wonder if they move him this summer. I wish Mavs would dump Powell's money but I don't think they will.

It will be interesting to see what they do, bc they do have ammunition to get an impact player this summer but then they also are usually hesitant to spend future dollars that might eat into a max slot.

An Oladipo trade might be the easiest to pull off that would satisfy all the Mavs needs. He would fit well in the back-court and Pacers might not be able to resign him. Mavs could send THJ + other pieces to get him and see how things go for 1 year then decide whether to re-sign.
Like Reply
So we are back to trade THjr no matter what?
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 09:06 AM)Mapka Wrote: So we are back to trade THjr no matter what?
Nah, but we have to portray him as negatively as possible, just in case the Mavs want to have another premature contract  ejaculation extension and somebody reads this board.

The Powell contract was a bad mistake. To extent THJ now would be even worse. If we land the white whale, we´ll need to dump Powell and Wright. No need to deal with THJ´s extended contract, too.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 11:55 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:06 AM)Mapka Wrote: So we are back to trade THjr no matter what?
Nah, but we have to portray him as negatively as possible, just in case the Mavs want to have another premature contract  ejaculation extension and somebody reads this board.

The Powell contract was a bad mistake. To extent THJ now would be even worse. If we land the white whale, we´ll need to dump Powell and Wright. No need to deal with THJ´s extended contract, too.

Ah that's it. 
He is doing this himself at the moment Smile

I don't really want to have capspace anytime soon.
Like Reply
There are 4 names I'd like from the Bulls with 1 of them pretty much ungettable in WCJ. The other 3 are OPJ, Young and Satoransky. If we have to eat a contract like Feliciano to get 2 of those guys, I'd do it. I don't want Markannen since we have all the high end offense we need with KP and Luka. 

Not fully sure I'd trade Maxi, Curry or Brunson in a deal for 2 of those guys, but if I could get 3 of the Chi guys, I'd probably be ok with letting one of them go. Other than those ground rules, pretty much anything is up for grabs in my mind.

A few examples (didn't put a lot of work into these other than matching salaries):

Wright/DP/THJ and #18 for OPJ/Young

THJ/Wright/DP/Kleber/JJ and #31 for OPJ/Young/Satoransky/Feliciano

THJ for Satoransky/Young

I think OPJ is fully starter material in today's NBA and is the exact type of player we need to move forward with. Satoransky is a mid to lower end starter type and Young is pretty much in the same boat as the 4-8 guys on our roster with a different skillset than any of them have (that works really well in today's NBA), although he has started for 71% of the games he's played in the NBA.

As far as value from our guys: I think THJ is a guy that they can get to aggressively look at trade partners for Lavine while not having to bring back his specific position as replacement. 

DP has the most negative value right now and I can't see why they would take him on except that his inclusion allows them to force a better draft pick from us, because of this and the infatuation with DP our FO has, he will probably not be included in any trades (much to my chagrin even though I think DP has a place on this team off the bench, just really dislike that contract). 

Wright is a MLE player and is a better for you than he is for us guy IMO. They need PGs in the worst way and his inclusion is for that reason. 

JJ is still on his rookie deal and will expire next year so his only real value is for salary matching and to see if he can do anything better there to deserve another contract in the NBA.

All of the deals we can make with Chi could give them immediate and long term cap relief which a rebuilding team mostly never needs to worry about, but with the players they have right now, they are worrying about. So a trade with them is about helping them save money while their on-court product stinks in order to hit another restart button.

Would love to do:

THJ/Wright/DP/JJ #18 and 31 for OPJ/Satoransky/Young

Luka/Brunson/MLE, vet min or undrafted
Satoransky/Curry/MLE, vet min or undrafted
OPJ/DFS/MKG, MLE, vet min or undrafted
Young/Kleber/MLE, vet min or undrafted
KP/WCS/Boban

Have plenty of giveaway contracts to make room for any FA that says yes in 21, if we want to. That is a really good gelling team that puts players in positions to succeed. We do damage in the playoffs next year. I would even swap out DFS for JJ in that trade if they really felt the need for him. That's a core that could stay together for a while and really play well IMO.
Like Reply
nice job how is it
Thj for D.Green
Lakers get a scorer they need
Dallas Elite Defender
champion experience
Delon / Jackson / # 31 for T. Young
hold # 18
Luka / Brunson
Green / Curry
Dfs / # 18
Young / Maxi
Kp / Wcs

(08-07-2020, 10:33 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 08:50 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...67937?s=20

There were reports about DAL being interested 1-2 weeks ago.
If those numbers are accurate, he´d have to pay €5.2M out of his own pockets. How much are teams willing to pay for (best case) 29 year old JJB? 

Prime JJ himself never earned more than $4.5M a year. That will require a lot of mental gymnastics to make that a realistic financial scenario.

Our core is

Doncic/Brunson
X/Curry
DFS/X
X/Kleber
Porzingis/X

There is no point paying the 3rd string PG more than the minimum, unless he´s a stud defender that can play along-side Doncic. 

First job is to find takers for Powell and/or Wright. Let THJ, Jackson and Boban expire.

(08-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: nice job 
Thj for D.Green  
Dallas Elite Defender
champion experience
Delon / Jackson / # 31 for T.Young

Luka / Brunson
Green / Curry
Dfs / # 18
Young / Maxi
Kp / Wcs
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: nice job how is it
Thj for D.Green
Dallas Elite Defender
champion experience

I don't get fans and MBT fascination with DGreen 
He was bad from 3PT line in the playoffs for 3 consecutive years. Last season he was arguably the worst rotation player in the Raptors. 
He might fit nicely in our regular season, but as it stands right now we can make playoffs with current roster with internal improvement.I don't see the need for him tbh
Like Reply
what are you guys doing? we need to collect as much assets as possible and dumping #18 and #31 for capspace and temporary 'high' is not how you build a roster. need to get rid of DP and DW by attaching both picks will get us nowhere unless the merchandise being exchanged for is giannis not the cap space. draft the best possible talent or trade both picks for 2021 or draf and stash talent in 2020 if you do not see any homegrown talents worthy of the picks.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2903...ed-against
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 01:37 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: nice job how is it
Thj for D.Green
Dallas Elite Defender
champion experience

I don't get fans and MBT fascination with DGreen 
He was bad from 3PT line in the playoffs for 3 consecutive years. Last season he was arguably the worst rotation player in the Raptors. 
He might fit nicely in our regular season, but as it stands right now we can make playoffs with current roster with internal improvement.I don't see the need for him tbh
Marrying the person that left you at the altar has been a horrible experience for the Mavs.

I want nothing to do with mercenaries like Jordan, Green or Deron anymore. It´s not even like these guys are outrageous talents, that you bend over backwards for. Just give me the guys that actually want to be here.

(08-11-2020, 09:54 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2903...ed-against
The Booker comment cost Draymond 50k. How much if Luka tweets: I could be the best player you ever played with. #2021 Big Grin
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 04:44 AM)swaggerbox Wrote: what are you guys doing? we need to collect as much assets as possible and dumping #18 and #31 for capspace and temporary 'high' is not how you build a roster. need to get rid of DP and DW by attaching both picks will get us nowhere unless the merchandise being exchanged for is giannis not the cap space. draft the best possible talent or trade both picks for 2021 or draf and stash talent in 2020 if you do not see any homegrown talents worthy of the picks.
As a general rule, you’re right. If there is something you can gain from a trade for those picks, that can’t be the mentality though, especially when you’re getting back what I proposed while adding the picks.

Assets can be collected in more ways than just through the draft also. Contracts like Satoransky’s is an asset because he is reasonably paid (maybe even underpaid) for what he brings to a team. That’s an asset. A contract like OPJ’s that is gonna be expiring next year is an asset.

If Giannis is the goal, you have to get him to say yes first, then you can figure out the many different avenues to make it happen. Getting as far as possible in the playoffs is a better way of getting a player of Giannis caliber to say yes than having assets that don’t (or at least most likely don’t) see the court.
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 11:23 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 04:44 AM)swaggerbox Wrote: what are you guys doing? we need to collect as much assets as possible and dumping #18 and #31 for capspace and temporary 'high' is not how you build a roster. need to get rid of DP and DW by attaching both picks will get us nowhere unless the merchandise being exchanged for is giannis not the cap space. draft the best possible talent or trade both picks for 2021 or draf and stash talent in 2020 if you do not see any homegrown talents worthy of the picks.
As a general rule, you’re right. If there is something you can gain from a trade for those picks, that can’t be the mentality though, especially when you’re getting back what I proposed while adding the picks.

Assets can be collected in more ways than just through the draft also. Contracts like Satoransky’s is an asset because he is reasonably paid (maybe even underpaid) for what he brings to a team. That’s an asset. A contract like OPJ’s that is gonna be expiring next year is an asset.

If Giannis is the goal, you have to get him to say yes first, then you can figure out the many different avenues to make it happen. Getting as far as possible in the playoffs is a better way of getting a player of Giannis caliber to say yes than having assets that don’t (or at least most likely don’t) see the court.
I like Young and Satoransky, but there is no way their contracts are value or desirable for another team in a trade. The picks are better under all circumstances.

I´d have included them in various Powell/Wright contract dumps, but their buyout guarantees are too high to be a valuable cap tool. When you have to buy out their final year for $5M/$6M, you might as well keep Wright for $8.5M. There is no real benefit. I´d be all over them, if their buyouts were like $2M each.
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 11:31 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 11:23 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

I like Young and Satoransky, but there is no way their contracts are value or desirable for another team in a trade. The picks are better under all circumstances.

I´d have included them in various Powell/Wright contract dumps, but their buyout guarantees are too high to be a valuable cap tool. When you have to buy out their final year for $5M/$6M, you might as well keep Wright for $8.5M. There is no real benefit. I´d be all over them, if their buyouts were like $2M each.
Who’s proposing buying them out? Satoransky’s on court value is at least worth $10M. Young’s is less than his on court value, but it isn’t so out there that attaching a second can’t overcome. 

Trading them to get the player who finally said yes to your offseason pitch, to teams that can use them for a season should be a pretty easy sell. I say that, and then Dallas will happen to get another egg on their face by being the first team to get a player to say yes and not find a way to make it happen. SMH.

That’s also if you don’t fall in love with their increased play when playing with the open space that Luka and KP create. I’m not all that into the Giannis sweepstakes myself. I think Luka and KP are enough star power to bring a well put together team to the promised land. Adding Giannis brings a high potential of KP being the odd man out on the offensive end and him possibly becoming disgruntled and/or irrelevant much like Bosh in Miami.
Like Reply
Trading away draft picks to dump bad contracts/mistakes would be such a Mavs thing to do. The Mavs give away draft picks like candy at a Halloween party. Its no wonder they never have any young talent to trade away when a disgruntled star is asking to be traded from his current team.

Also I don't get this boards fascination with OPJ, the guy is extremely overpaid and hasn't been healthy for the last 4 years. Also Satoransky and Young are not assets to anyone. Read Chicago's board's to find how much of an asset they think these players are. They would give you these players for a pack of gum.
Like Reply
well Delon is the same situation
I think they are bad settings Delon looks less than I think he is, he looks shy
T. Young needs a better team I see it MKG style that can shoot
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Trading away draft picks to dump bad contracts/mistakes would be such a Mavs thing to do. The Mavs give away draft picks like candy at a Halloween party. Its no wonder they never have any young talent to trade away when a disgruntled star is asking to be traded from his current team.
Almost like they didn't have DSJ to get KP. I understand that trade was more about clearing capspace than young talent, but Smith was a selling point to their fans. I get it, I want more young assets too, but young assets don't get you further in the playoffs, unless you hit pretty big in which case they're not assets, they're a part of your core. We also don't need disgruntled stars, we need to surround Luka and KP with high-end 3nD guys.

(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also I don't get this boards fascination with OPJ, the guy is extremely overpaid and hasn't been healthy for the last 4 years.
I don't get this board's fascination with getting more offense first guys to add to the offense first guys we already have, we all have our convictions. Yes, OPJ is extremely overpaid for 1 more year. After that, he will be able to be signed to a more on-par contract to his contribution as then is when he won't be able to sell any upside in negotiations. 

As far as not being healthy in the last 4 years, I get the last 2 years, but before that he played 77 and 80 games. The 2 seasons before that he played 75 and 74 games. He was rehabbing for most of this year so his numbers dipped quite a bit. I think he's a defender that is on par with RoCo, or at least really close to it. That is why I want him, since we didn't get RoCo himself. He also has the ability to replace THJ's 15ppg on offense with a possibility of doing even more. He's for sure the prize in the trade.

(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also Satoransky and Young are not assets to anyone.  Read Chicago's board's to find how much of an asset they think these players are.  They would give you these players for a pack of gum.
I see Satoransky as a lesser version of Bogdanovic (Bogdan). He isn't a slouch on defense and he's a good 3 shooter (hasn't showed that in Chi where there is noone to help get him wide open looks like he had in Was where he was extremely good for 2 years). He also is a good distributor who can spell Luka for moments to just play decoy and catch his breath. Sure, he can't be a #2-3 guy on a team like he's being asked to be in Chi, but he can be a 5th starter to do the things asked of him above. Kamm has championed him in the past and I trust his judgement on most things.

Young is being championed by Dan, and most anyone Dan likes, I'm usually on-board with. I will say, Chi hasn't been kind for either of their careers, but their careers before Chi was solid, so maybe that is more on Chi than it is on them as players?

As far as what their fans think, seems that is not how their FO thinks or else those guys would have been traded already. However, if we can get those 3 players for less? Sign me up twice!

To me, the perfect starting unit would be Luka/Marcus Smart/OPJ/RoCo/KP. That group would dominate for years. The closer I can get to that starting unit, the happier we all would be IMO.
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 03:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Trading away draft picks to dump bad contracts/mistakes would be such a Mavs thing to do. The Mavs give away draft picks like candy at a Halloween party. Its no wonder they never have any young talent to trade away when a disgruntled star is asking to be traded from his current team.
Almost like they didn't have DSJ to get KP. I understand that trade was more about clearing capspace than young talent, but Smith was a selling point to their fans. I get it, I want more young assets too, but young assets don't get you further in the playoffs, unless you hit pretty big in which case they're not assets, they're a part of your core. We also don't need disgruntled stars, we need to surround Luka and KP with high-end 3nD guys.

(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also I don't get this boards fascination with OPJ, the guy is extremely overpaid and hasn't been healthy for the last 4 years.
I don't get this board's fascination with getting more offense first guys to add to the offense first guys we already have, we all have our convictions. Yes, OPJ is extremely overpaid for 1 more year. After that, he will be able to be signed to a more on-par contract to his contribution as then is when he won't be able to sell any upside in negotiations. 

As far as not being healthy in the last 4 years, I get the last 2 years, but before that he played 77 and 80 games. The 2 seasons before that he played 75 and 74 games. He was rehabbing for most of this year so his numbers dipped quite a bit. I think he's a defender that is on par with RoCo, or at least really close to it. That is why I want him, since we didn't get RoCo himself. He also has the ability to replace THJ's 15ppg on offense with a possibility of doing even more. He's for sure the prize in the trade.

(08-11-2020, 02:04 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also Satoransky and Young are not assets to anyone.  Read Chicago's board's to find how much of an asset they think these players are.  They would give you these players for a pack of gum.
I see Satoransky as a lesser version of Bogdanovic (Bogdan). He isn't a slouch on defense and he's a good 3 shooter (hasn't showed that in Chi where there is noone to help get him wide open looks like he had in Was where he was extremely good for 2 years). He also is a good distributor who can spell Luka for moments to just play decoy and catch his breath. Sure, he can't be a #2-3 guy on a team like he's being asked to be in Chi, but he can be a 5th starter to do the things asked of him above. Kamm has championed him in the past and I trust his judgement on most things.

Young is being championed by Dan, and most anyone Dan likes, I'm usually on-board with. I will say, Chi hasn't been kind for either of their careers, but their careers before Chi was solid, so maybe that is more on Chi than it is on them as players?

As far as what their fans think, seems that is not how their FO thinks or else those guys would have been traded already. However, if we can get those 3 players for less? Sign me up twice!

To me, the perfect starting unit would be Luka/Marcus Smart/OPJ/RoCo/KP. That group would dominate for years. The closer I can get to that starting unit, the happier we all would be IMO.

The Mavs need a consistent #3 option and multiple defenders that can hit open shoots.  Satoransky does neither of those.  Last season playing meaningless (tanking) games for washington his 3 point % looked good on a very small sample size/attempts.  This season when he was asked to shoot the three more he was exposed on shooting more volume.  Also he had plenty of people to spread the floor for him in Lavine, White, and Lauri which is better than anyone outside of Beal on those wizard teams.   His three point percentage for those two seasons was smoke and mirrors.

Young is just a guy.  If we could acquire him for Powell's contract, Im all for it.  I wouldn't give up any true assets for 32yo role player.

OPJ can't get on court bc he is never healthy so he won't be dominating anything except the DL.
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 04:21 PM)Playmaker Wrote: The Mavs need a consistent #3 option and multiple defenders that can hit open shoots.  Satoransky does neither of those.  Last season playing meaningless (tanking) games for washington his 3 point % looked good on a very small sample size/attempts.  This season when he was asked to shoot the three more he was exposed on shooting more volume.  Also he had plenty of people to spread the floor for him in Lavine, White, and Lauri which is better than anyone outside of Beal on those wizard teams.   His three point percentage for two season was smoke and mirrors.
Not a bad argument, I just believe he'd look really good here. I don't have to have him, but I think he is better than, or at least as good as anyone outgoing in that trade. 5.4 assists can't be discounted.

(08-11-2020, 04:21 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Young is just a guy.  If we could acquire him for Powell contract, Im all for it.  However I wouldn't give up any true assets for 32yo role player.
I think he's good enough to start on this team and do pretty well being more of a defensive specialist who can put in work on offense than the unneeded offensive force that we already have.

(08-11-2020, 04:21 PM)Playmaker Wrote: OPJ can't get on court bc he is never healthy so he won't be dominating anything except the DL.
I wasn't going to say anything previously but you keep hitting on this. OPJ had an injury that sidelined him for a very long time throughout the last 2 seasons. When looking up his games played I saw that there are 4 lines of low games played which is where I believe you got the thought that the last 4 seasons he's hardly played. If you look again, 3 of those lines are for last year when he was traded, one for games played in Chi, one for games played in Was and one for the total of the two. 

He played 56 games last season and 14 this one, before that he played 77, 80, 75 and 74 games the seasons prior. We're pretty decent at getting and keeping our guys healthy, once he's through this string of bad luck on his health and on our team, I'd have less worry about it. However, carry on with your rant about him.
Like Reply
My wishlist would be:

1. THJ + picks for Gordon
2. THJ + picks for Oladipo
3. THJ for OPJ straight up maybe? I am not sure I'd give up picks as there are a lot of FA SF/PFs this summer that could be good role players and not cost picks.
4. Wright for someone that fits better. Aminu is one option that could work. It might be worth trading him for nothing just to take his salary off the books.

I can't imagine Mavs keep their picks. If I couldn't find a deal I'd rather package picks for future picks than draft anyone next year.
Like Reply