Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
(02-06-2020, 05:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: we didn't find a trade we liked

Which is a fail, because it is our job to find it Smile
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Which is a fail, because it is our job to find it Smile

you don't make a deal just to make a deal

you make a deal if you like it and it fits your long term plan

if you don't find that deal, then you stand pat, especially when you have lots of ways to make improvements in coming months
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:08 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: we didn't find a trade we liked

Which is a fail, because it is our job to find it Smile

That's it, Omahen! Stick to those guns!!!
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's it, Omahen! Stick to those guns!!!

well, he certainly does that!
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:54 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:37 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Its sad when getting Luka and KP is not enough...

What, did GM job stopped with KP trade? Didn't know that. Everyone agrees Luka and KP were great moves. More or less everything after was subpar.
Trading is about one team trying to find the best return on available assets. The 2018 ATL trade and the 2019 NYK trade are both key examples. Even the SAC trade was useful. But the turnaround was started by trading. If the return isn't viable, then you shouldn't make it. To me there are soft issues to consider as well, like locker room chemistry, for example.

I've been saying all along this group deserves the time to go through the wars together and see how they respond. I'm frustrated by the recent troubles, but we're missing 40% of our starting rotation and that's taking firepower off the bench and putting it on the floor at the opening tip. Mostly OK with the starters, but we've been losing ground with the bench.

They've had surprising wins (LAL, Bucks, HOU) and head scratching losses (2x NYKs?!) but this is a hell of a lot more fun than the last few years of 52 loss records. TBH, there was nobody available at a price that is palatable worth messing with the team development.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231
Like Reply
This might relate to some of the Mavs talk about not making a deal.  Each team has to make (or not) a deal that helps them.  Twice now OKC has gone up toe to toe with Miami (CP last summer now Gallo) and not come to an agreement.  Fans will look at it differently.  In this tweet a Miami fan thinks Presti did nothing and should have while the OKC fan thinks he was right in not doing it. 

So much we never know behind the scenes.  

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...8679298065
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 05:59 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231

No back up plan, of course. Again...
Like Reply
Apparently the plan was NY getting Danny Green and flipping him to us in a Morris deal with the Lakers...
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:15 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Apparently the plan was NY getting Danny Green and flipping him to us in a Morris deal with the Lakers...
Called that multiple times, when i saw they wanted Morris and needed Green to match salaries.

Wish they would have done the same for Harkless tho. I think he could have helped as well. Extremly good defender.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:18 PM)sefant Wrote: Called that multiple times, when i saw they wanted Morris and needed Green to match salaries.

Wish they would have done the same for Harkless tho. I think he could have helped as well. Extremly good defender.

Exactly, this is mind breaking. If they did the scheme with NY for Greene, who is arguably a better and more valuable player, why didn't they do same thing with the same partner for Harkless.
Like Reply
If you agree that KP and Luka were good moves, you also need to realize the amount of assets we dumped acquiring them.

-Luka cost us two firsts.
-KP cost us two future first rounders, the previous years 9th overall pick and we had to take back the salaries of THJ and Lee.

That left our cupboard really bare and also means that we can't squander what little assets we have for rentals. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical of the MBT as there is plenty to be critical of, but we've done some good things as a team.

Good moves:

-Signed Maxi to a team friendly, long term contract.
-Signed DFS to a team friendly, long term contract.
-Held onto the GSW 2nd round pick.
-Turned THJ into a viable starter and made his contract much easier to swallow.
-Drafted Brunson. You can prefer to have Robinson and Jalen is probably never going to be a full-time starter, but I do think he can fill in as a started, be a rock solid backup and will be in the league for 10 years.

Neutral Moves:

-Singed Wright to a moderate contract.
-Signed Curry to a moderate contract.
-Powell extension. I'm okay moving this to a bad move. He was a tad overpaid before the injury and what happened to him sucks.
-Trading back for our second last year. Helped us get Wright (neutral), helped us get WCS (band aid).
-Ditched Harrison Barnes but probably didn't extract enough value from that trade.

Bad Moves:

-Boban - We don't play him and when we do, don't favor his historic skill set.
-Failed to take advantage of Lee's expiring.
-Failed to take advantage of most of the TPE.
-Miami Heat trade debacle to start free agency.
-Seemingly failed to have meaningful conversations with Kemba and PatBev in free agency.
-Couldn't close on Green in free agency.

Needed Moves:

-One of Curry, Wright and Brunson need to be traded before the beginning of next season. I think the two who don't get traded will flourish with regular playing time and a defined role.

There is a lot of roster building to be done to surround Luka and KP with the needed pieces to compete. I'm fine with the Mavericks stance that this probably isn't our year so no need to gamble assets. We are early into reconstructed this roster with only Maxi and DFS being core pieces to go with our superstars. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed by free agency and the TDL and while I do understand wanting to grow talent organically, it's a little frustrating that we aren't making one of our younger, smaller guards available. I am glad we held onto that GSW 2nd and didn't toss it away for AI or Drummond, those might have made us slightly better this year but that's not an age or skill set you'd want to invest in beyond this half season and they certainly wouldn't let you compete with the upper echelon of teams.

We do need to be patient but I'm ready to have my pitchfork ready this next off season if it goes as poorly as last. We need a homerun in the draft or to flip those draft asset into an established, quality starter.
Like Reply
Very well put!
Like Reply
The Mayor of OKC is happy

https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/12...4588298241

(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)cow Wrote: If you agree that KP and Luka were good moves, you also need to realize the amount of assets we dumped acquiring them. 

-KP cost us two future first rounders, the previous years 9th overall pick and we had to take back the salaries of THJ and Lee. 

That left our cupboard really bare and also means that we can't squander what little assets we have for rentals.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical of the MBT as there is plenty to be critical of, but we've done some good things as a team.

Good moves:

-Held onto the GSW 2nd round pick. 
-Turned THJ into a viable starter and made his contract much easier to swallow.
-Drafted Brunson.  You can prefer to have Robinson and Jalen is probably never going to be a full-time starter, but I do think he can fill in as a started, be a rock solid backup and will be in the league for 10 years.

Neutral Moves:

-Singed Wright to a moderate contract.
-Powell extension.  I'm okay moving this to a bad move.  He was a tad overpaid before the injury and what happened to him sucks.
-Trading back for our second last year.  Helped us get Wright (neutral), helped us get WCS (band aid).
-Ditched Harrison Barnes but probably didn't extract enough value from that trade.

Bad Moves:

-Boban - We don't play him and when we do, don't favor his historic skill set.
-Failed to take advantage of most of the TPE.
-Miami Heat trade debacle to start free agency.
-Seemingly failed to have meaningful conversations with Kemba and PatBev in free agency.

Needed Moves:

-One of Curry, Wright and Brunson need to be traded before the beginning of next season.  I think the two who don't get traded will flourish with regular playing time and a defined role.

There is a lot of roster building to be done to surround Luka and KP with the needed pieces to compete.  I'm fine with the Mavericks stance that this probably isn't our year so no need to gamble assets.  We are early into reconstructed this roster with only Maxi and DFS being core pieces to go with our superstars.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed by free agency and the TDL and while I do understand wanting to grow talent organically, it's a little frustrating that we aren't making one of our younger, smaller guards available.  I am glad we held onto that GSW 2nd and didn't toss it away for AI or Drummond, those might have made us slightly better this year but that's not an age or skill set you'd want to invest in beyond this half season and they certainly wouldn't let you compete with the upper echelon of teams. 

We do need to be patient but I'm ready to have my pitchfork ready this next off season if it goes as poorly as last.  We need a homerun in the draft or to flip those draft asset into an established, quality starter.

Great post
Like Reply
Danny Green and the Mavs are star-crossed lovers.  

The Battle for Los Angeles should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/12...51137?s=20
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)cow Wrote: If you agree that KP and Luka were good moves, you also need to realize the amount of assets we dumped acquiring them. 

That left our cupboard really bare and also means that we can't squander what little assets we have for rentals.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical of the MBT as there is plenty to be critical of, but we've done some good things as a team.

Good moves:

-Signed KP. While it was as given as given can be, it was still a good move regardless of if he lives up to the contract IMO. BTW, I think he most likely will barring injury.
-Held onto the GSW 2nd round pick.  This is neutral until actually used IMO.
-Turned THJ into a viable starter and made his contract much easier to swallow. This is not a FO grading, it's a coaching success.
-Drafted Brunson.  You can prefer to have Robinson and Jalen is probably never going to be a full-time starter, but I do think he can fill in as a started, be a rock solid backup and will be in the league for 10 years. We drafted Roby this year, not Brunson.
-Trading back for our second last year.  Helped us get Wright (neutral), helped us get WCS (band aid). While not on par with these other moves, I say it's in the Good Moves list. All about baby steps, especially since we unloaded a lot of assets recently to get Luka and KP.

Neutral Moves:

-Held onto the GSW 2nd round pick. From above.
-Singed Wright to a moderate contract. I think this and the next one should just be summed up with the three bullet points in Bad Moves for a horrible offseason plan and execution.
-Powell extension.  I'm okay moving this to a bad move.  He was a tad overpaid before the injury and what happened to him sucks. No reason to not move it down there, it was unnecessary to extend and now looks horrible due to the injury (which I do not fault the FO for but I've been vocal about the DP extension being a bad idea from the get-go).
-Trading back for our second last year.  Helped us get Wright (neutral), helped us get WCS (band aid).  I don't mind moving this up to the Good Move list. It's why I am so baffled by them not doing something similar this TDL.
-Ditched Harrison Barnes but probably didn't extract enough value from that trade. They didn't extract enough value from him, so it has to be a bad move IMO.

Bad Moves:

-Boban - We don't play him and when we do, don't favor his historic skill set. Lumped in with the poor offseason moves.
-Failed to take advantage of most of the TPE. Using it for WCS is pretty dang good value IMO, if we had Giles from the trade, the Powell injury might not have been so dire a problem, depending on Giles development here.
-Miami Heat trade debacle to start free agency. This and the next two and the two above can just be summed up as being horrible planning and execution of last offseason.

-Ditched Harrison Barnes but probably didn't extract enough value from that trade. From above

Needed Moves:

-One of Curry, Wright and Brunson need to be traded before the beginning of next season.  I think the two who don't get traded will flourish with regular playing time and a defined role.
-Add 2-3 starting level two-way players for a championship quality team that has 2 stars with at least 1 wing and a big (or a big wing and a regular sized wing) in the mix. The guys we have are fine if we had 3 Stars to go with them.

There is a lot of roster building to be done to surround Luka and KP with the needed pieces to compete.  I'm fine with the Mavericks stance that this probably isn't our year so no need to gamble assets.  We are early into reconstructed this roster with only Maxi and DFS being core pieces to go with our superstars.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed by free agency and the TDL and while I do understand wanting to grow talent organically, it's a little frustrating that we aren't making one of our younger, smaller guards available.  I am glad we held onto that GSW 2nd and didn't toss it away for AI or Drummond, those might have made us slightly better this year but that's not an age or skill set you'd want to invest in beyond this half season and they certainly wouldn't let you compete with the upper echelon of teams. 

We do need to be patient but I'm ready to have my pitchfork ready this next off season if it goes as poorly as last.  We need a homerun in the draft or to flip those draft asset into an established, quality starter.
Really enjoyed reading this as it lines up pretty much perfectly in the middle of the two extremes. I like it in the middle personally. Made some changes to your list to line up where I believe the moves go.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Danny Green and the Mavs are star-crossed lovers.  

The Battle for Los Angeles should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/12...51137?s=20

Lakers were never going to trade Kuzma for Marcus Morris. Clippers gave a 2020 1st rounder.
I wish Mavs would have gotten into the middle of this, you would think the GSW pick is arguably better than a 30th 1st round pick since you control the contract terms. Too bad, almost had another shot at Danny.

I would agree, preferably Wright and Jackson would exit. I like Brunson's upside and contract more than Wright although I do enjoy Wright as well and think he will get better. Boban is what he is, at least he will be expiring next year. No doubt Mavs need more wings/forwards headed into next season. Broekhoff is okay but limited - did we see teams beating down our door to get him? He is a great shooter but average at everything else. He upside is that he's cheap and can hit 3's which can probably keep him in the NBA for a while. He's also not super young either.
Like Reply
I was happy to see that Gallo is happy here so far.  This has been a surprise season one I never saw coming.  It gave Presti more options.  Fans are happy even knowing they likely get bumped in first round they are ok with taking the chance.  And if we can keep Gallo all the better.  With the assets Presti won’t have to gut the roster either.

The person who really makes this team click is CP.  I was totally prepped for him to be a malcontent yet he has done opposite.  I am totally pleased with how he has the players unified and playing as a team.  And be has matured the young players especially SGA who I had no idea was this good.  

We could hit a rough patch and miss playoffs and I’ll be ok with it.  Its been a stress free season whereas the past several were all stressful due to expectations.

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...3772418048
Like Reply
I think the Mavs view Curry as another core piece, and potentially Wright and/or Brunson. I like Wright more simply because of his fit with Luka. Brunson is the superior all around player though. Curry doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, hes such a great fit in the Mavs system and I’d love to see him here for the forseeable future
Like Reply
My Good/Neutral/Bad wasn't limited to this past off-season, thus Brunson. I do think you need to look at the organization as a whole which is why I included THJ. I'm really proud of that due and what we've done with him.

I hate how black and white the internet has made conversations. I get being disappointed, but you need to take a step back and consider what we've done recently, what we have to work with as far as trade assets and where this team is compared to the true title contenders. I don't think the Mavericks are ever going to be a free agent destination so we can't cheat the process like an LA, NY or Miami team.

(02-06-2020, 08:11 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I think the Mavs view Curry as another core piece, and potentially Wright and/or Brunson. I like Wright more simply because of his fit with Luka. Brunson is the superior all around player though. Curry doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, hes such a great fit in the Mavs system and I’d love to see him here for the forseeable future

I like Curry too.  I'd like to trade Brunson.  I'm uncertain on Wright.
Like Reply