Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Draft Prospects
(04-23-2024, 01:51 PM)JAYJAYBEE5 Wrote: yeah i get what you're saying,but i don't know what the franchise will want to do with that pick.

this guy here looks like jj barea, but i doubt their looking for a back-up point guard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8GEAwjH6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymzsJizHA8

They need something better than Williams if they don't think Exum is a point guard.
Like Reply
(04-23-2024, 02:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: They need something better than Williams if they don't think Exum is a point guard.

They are going to need a fifth guard.    Probably a minimum guy or possibly a draft pick.   Mavs rode Luka and Kyrie pretty hard this year.    Exum's minutes will need to be managed.  I anticipate Jaden gets rotation minutes next year.   But they need another guy who can run a team.   Not too good where he demands minutes but someone who can fill in when needed.   Ideally it will be a bigger guard.   Maybe even a veteran minimum guy and a younger two way guard may be the way to go.
Like Reply
(04-23-2024, 03:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: They are going to need a fifth guard.    Probably a minimum guy or possibly a draft pick.   Mavs rode Luka and Kyrie pretty hard this year.    Exum's minutes will need to be managed.  I anticipate Jaden gets rotation minutes next year.   But they need another guy who can run a team.   Not too good where he demands minutes but someone who can fill in when needed.   Ideally it will be a bigger guard.   Maybe even a veteran minimum guy and a younger two way guard may be the way to go.

I think it's very obviously time to move on from THJ and Hardy, and possibly Green given his salary. Ergo imho they really need two more guards.
Like Reply
small guard who can't shoot...but

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1...0415163494
Like Reply
Any promising prospect from Wurzburg? Maxi isn't getting any younger and this franchise isn't going anywhere without a guy from Wurzburg that comes up big in the playoffs.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-01-2024, 09:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Any promising prospect from Wurzburg? Maxi isn't getting any younger and this franchise isn't going anywhere without a guy from Wurzburg that comes up big in the playoffs.

How old are Dirk’s kids? Think Kleber can make it long enough for one of them to make it?
Like Reply
(05-01-2024, 10:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: How old are Dirk’s kids? Think Kleber can make it long enough for one of them to make it?

They are from Dallas
Like Reply
(05-02-2024, 04:51 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: They are from Dallas

Even better! A Dallas-Wurzburg hybrid!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Kevin O'Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA)
Top 4 Picks for the 2024 NBA Draft:

Atlanta
Washington
Houston
San Antonio

No clear-cut choice for any of these picks this year. Going to be a fascinating pre-draft process. I’d expect the Hawks and Rockets to especially be active in the trade market. Wild result.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Potential 2nd round draft prospect? AJ Johnson, looks quick and athletic. He played in the NBL last season instead of college.

I came across this video on another forum but haven't seen him in Tankathon's mock draft.

Like Reply
Mavs have the last pick in the draft. Really long odds that player ever makes it. My one wish is make a pick that is interesting. I would also like them to be aggressive in the two way spots. I think this is one area where they have not been creative at all.

How about going against the grain in the draft? What about buying a pick late in round 1? I wonder if a team would just give up a pick for almost nothing? It appears that doesn't happen much anymore in the first. If Nico fell in love with someone in the late first, I wonder if they go the other way and trade for a pick. Unlikely, but still. I know very little about these prospects, but lets say Kyle Filipkowski falls into the 20's ( I am not sure why he has lost some luster since last year), would he interest you? He is a pretty skilled 7 footer. If he can learn to play more on the perimeter, he will have a nice NBA career.
Like Reply
(6 hours ago)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs have the last pick in the draft.  Really long odds that player ever makes it.  My one wish is make a pick that is interesting.  I would also like them to be aggressive in the two way spots.  I think this is one area where they have not been creative at all.

How about going against the grain in the draft?  What about buying a pick late in round 1?  I wonder if a team would just give up a pick for almost nothing?  It appears that doesn't happen much anymore in the first.    If Nico fell in love with someone in the late first, I wonder if they go the other way and trade for a pick.  Unlikely, but still.    I know very little about these prospects, but lets say Kyle Filipkowski falls into the 20's ( I am not sure why he has lost some luster since last year), would he interest you?  He is a pretty skilled 7 footer.  If he can learn to play more on the perimeter, he will have a nice NBA career.

Not sure Mavs need a FRP. They have 12 players under contract (not counting Lawson that is not guaranteed). Will they also keep Morris as the vet presence? Their primary FA job is probably to either resign DJJ or find his replacement on the FA market or trade. Also, they need to find minutes for Omax and decide about Hardy future in Dallas. As long as those two are on the team, there are imho close to zero developmental minutes available for anyone. 

Cash will probably not be enough to get a FRP. In past years teams were trading down for a high SRP (and some additional compensation) in same draft or for future draft assets. For example in 2023 Detroit traded for #25 pick from Boston for #31 and additional 2 SRP in the future. Mavs can't offer something like that. Mavs got #24 for eating Holmes contract (Mavs don't have an option at the moment). Denver traded for #29 and #32 in exchange for #40 and 2024 FRP. Denver also traded unprotected 2029 FRP (high risk!) for #37, 2024 FRP and SRP. Not sure Mavs should use their future assets for a pick this season. Although, because the draft is so weak this season, 2025 pick could probably have a decent value, if there are some players Mavs are really in love with. 

Expensive teams might have motivation to trade out of late first round to the second round as players there are of very similar quality but come with lower salary commitment. Minny has #27, Denver has #28 and Boston has #30. 

Utah has picks 10, 29 and 32 in this draft, but they have enough roster spots to draft three players. New York has 24, 25 and 38 and they have been extremely active on past couple of draft nights. Although I would expect them to try to move up or make a big trade (they also have enough roster spots to take a chance with three cheap youngsters). 

I don't see Mavs being interested in trading for some bad money for a pick. Mavs players that could be expandable (THJ, Green, Hardy) imho don't have a FRP level value on their own without taking back bad salary. I think Mavs will not trade 2025 for a pick in this draft, unless this is a part of some bigger trade for a player, where the real goal is that player, not the pick. Unless there will be some trade, Mavs will stay within second round, perhaps trade up using minor assets if there is someone they like available.
Like Reply
(6 hours ago)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs have the last pick in the draft.  Really long odds that player ever makes it.  My one wish is make a pick that is interesting.  I would also like them to be aggressive in the two way spots.  I think this is one area where they have not been creative at all.

How about going against the grain in the draft?  What about buying a pick late in round 1?  I wonder if a team would just give up a pick for almost nothing?  It appears that doesn't happen much anymore in the first.    If Nico fell in love with someone in the late first, I wonder if they go the other way and trade for a pick.  Unlikely, but still.    I know very little about these prospects, but lets say Kyle Filipkowski falls into the 20's ( I am not sure why he has lost some luster since last year), would he interest you?  He is a pretty skilled 7 footer.  If he can learn to play more on the perimeter, he will have a nice NBA career.

I am 100% convinced the Mavs are going to try and move up from #59 to mid 2nd round. Maybe PHI. Maybe NYK. And they are going to try and snag Bronny James with that pick to begin their Lebron quest. 

There are too many signs to ignore imo. Not only is there the Kyrie connection, but the Mavs coaching staff (Kidd, Dudley), Morris was apart of that 2020 squad too, Lebron is Luka's favorite player. Add in Vogel just being released and had interest in joining Kidd's staff last year, there is a lot of smoke here. 

For Lebron, doesn't it make all the sense for him to go somewhere where he can be a 3rd option and relax?

Only issues I have is defensively Lebron doesn't have much anymore. Maybe that gets better given that he can take a backseat. Does Lebron even want to take a backseat? How will Kyrie do with the added media circus that is Lebron? Lots of questions. 

I haven't looked at the draft at all so there are probably better avenues to take in the draft. But I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't a primary plan.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)SleepingHero Wrote: I am 100% convinced the Mavs are going to try and move up from #59 to mid 2nd round. Maybe PHI. Maybe NYK. And they are going to try and snag Bronny James with that pick to begin their Lebron quest. 

There are too many signs to ignore imo. Not only is there the Kyrie connection, but the Mavs coaching staff (Kidd, Dudley), Morris was apart of that 2020 squad too, Lebron is Luka's favorite player. Add in Vogel just being released and had interest in joining Kidd's staff last year, there is a lot of smoke here. 

For Lebron, doesn't it make all the sense for him to go somewhere where he can be a 3rd option and relax?

Only issues I have is defensively Lebron doesn't have much anymore. Maybe that gets better given that he can take a backseat. Does Lebron even want to take a backseat? How will Kyrie do with the added media circus that is Lebron? Lots of questions. 

I haven't looked at the draft at all so there are probably better avenues to take in the draft. But I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't a primary plan.

Some reports say LeBron wants Lakers to draft Bronny at #17. It will be very interesting to see what happens if they don't Smile
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)SleepingHero Wrote: I am 100% convinced the Mavs are going to try and move up from #59 to mid 2nd round. Maybe PHI. Maybe NYK. And they are going to try and snag Bronny James with that pick to begin their Lebron quest. 

So that would have to be an S&T.  Do you think Lebron is going to sign a discount contract?  If not we are talking something like 48 mil?  What contracts are we going to send out to generate that kind of cap?  Timmy + Green + Maxi + Omax + Hardy?

Edit: if he opted in it would be over 51 mil. We would need to add another roughly 8 mil to the salaries above. We are running out of players. Might have to throw Gafford into that mix. And does it cost a first as well?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)omahen Wrote: Some reports say LeBron wants Lakers to draft Bronny at #17. It will be very interesting to see what happens if they don't Smile

Would be a very Lakers thing to do to take by consensus an un-drafted level prospect in the mid 1st round to keep their 40 year old star.
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)mvossman Wrote: So that would have to be an S&T.  Do you think Lebron is going to sign a discount contract?  If not we are talking something like 48 mil?  What contracts are we going to send out to generate that kind of cap?  Timmy + Green + Maxi + Omax + Hardy?

Edit: if he opted in it would be over 51 mil.  We would need to add another roughly 8 mil to the salaries above.  We are running out of players.  Might have to throw Gafford into that mix.  And does it cost a first as well?

The only realistic option is if he takes MLE, imho. I don't see Lakers trading LeBron without a significant compensation. 

A better proposal. Draft Bronny at 58 and trade him to Lakers for big assets once daddy puts a condition he stays only if they get Bronny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)mvossman Wrote: So that would have to be an S&T.  Do you think Lebron is going to sign a discount contract?  If not we are talking something like 48 mil?  What contracts are we going to send out to generate that kind of cap?  Timmy + Green + Maxi + Omax + Hardy?

Edit: if he opted in it would be over 51 mil.  We would need to add another roughly 8 mil to the salaries above.  We are running out of players.  Might have to throw Gafford into that mix.  And does it cost a first as well?

I think he'd take a smallish discount if it meant he could contend for a ring the next 2 years without having to be the main cog. At 35 mil the numbers just fit. THJ+Green+Hardy+1 1st for Lebron is more than fair at 40 years old. It's all in, but not too all in as the Mavs still retain most of their depth. Can still re-sign DJJ as well. Grab a backup SG for the minimum like Eric Gordon, or Fournier and we run with 

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Gordon
Lebron/DJJ
PJ/Maxi/OMax
Gafford/Lively/Powell

Lebron has a history of taking smaller contracts to build out a better team and bring in guys. I don't see why he wouldn't do it this time around instead to go to another team and still leave it with depth.
Like Reply
(1 hour ago)SleepingHero Wrote: Lebron has a history of taking smaller contracts to build out a better team and bring in guys. I don't see why he wouldn't do it this time around instead to go to another team and still leave it with depth.

Since he's stated he wants to buy into a NBA franchise, I doubt he's going to leave a penny on the table.  

Whoever we draft, sign, or trade for I hope is in the PJ, DJ, and Josh mold.  Or a Maxi starter kit, unless Omax makes the leap in year 2.
Like Reply