Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
I really hope the Mavs involvement in the Kyrie thing is just facilitating a trade to LAL. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...1131166722
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I agree with Dan - if Mavs are desperate to go after Kyrie, than go all in. Trade everything you have for additional help and try to win it all this season. Irving is not a long term bet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 10:06 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...1131166722

Was just about to say that if the Mavs do this it would be nice to get it done quick. They could then use the next week to be make win now trades. If you get Kyrie it’s go time. Guys like Bojan, Bogdan, Collins, Poetl are in play.
[-] The following 3 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, omahen
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...3182236673
Like Reply
One thing that makes me doubt the Kyrie-Mavs story. Looking at big trades in the past the Mavs never leaked anything to the press. Rondo and KP came out of nowhere. Even draft picks used to be state secrets.
Maybe Nico and Kidd changed things but I tend to doubt pre deadline/draft/free agency rumors that involve the Mavs.
Like Reply
Im torn on the Kyrie news. On one hand the Mavs have very little firepower or front office aptitude to obtain a bonafide star to pair with Luka. This may be the only real chance to do so.

If the cost is THJ + Bullock I pull the trigger.

Anything else and my stomach starts to turn a bit.

If the Mavs give up Green in any Kyrie deal it will be incredibly difficult for me to watch a Mavs game again this year.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 10:12 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Was just about to say that if the Mavs do this it would be nice to get it done quick. They could then use the next week to be make win now trades. If you get Kyrie it’s go time. Guys like Bojan, Bogdan, Collins, Poetl are in play.

One of the concerns about this is it takes attention away from completing other things that were on the table.  I like the Keith Smith Tweet that says this could happen quickly so both of the involved teams can work on doing other things.

Note that your list contains two PF's and a center.  If the price of Bojan is really 2025 and Bertans, you do it.  Man that would be a lot of O (and ball movement hopefully).  Or, you go get Poeltl (maybe Reggie goes to NY, Reddish to SA and Poelt to SA along with a pick from Dallas) and move Wood to PF and let him get center minutes when Poeltl is out.  Note that either of these moves would make it palatable to deal DFS in the Irving trade.
Like Reply
Hollinger has Dallas 5th of 9 in his potential ranking for Kyrie

I expect the Mavericks to kick the tires on Irving deals to see if they can dump some bad contracts, but ultimately I don’t expect them to come that strong. First of all, because they can’t — Dallas just doesn’t have a ton of good assets or expiring contracts to put into a deal.

Second, because of the risk factor that Irving could poison things badly enough in Big D for Luka Dončić to decide he’s seen enough and wants out; he wouldn’t be the first Irving teammate to reach that conclusion.

Dallas could construct a deal that sends the Nets old friend Spencer Dinwiddie, plus Tim Haradaway Jr. and a “first available” first-rounder, which likely conveys in 2025. Is that enough? I doubt it. Dallas’ contracts are slightly better than Miami’s, and the Mavs may be a bit more desperate at the moment, but ultimately the risk factor of losing Luka seems to make the downside worse here than almost any place else.
Like Reply
Bleacher Report Roundtable has Reddish and Kyrie to Dallas:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006...ne-targets
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
Kyrie will be a Mav by the end of the weekend. Accept it guys..lol. This is Mark Cuban we are talking about.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...8411628546
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 09:11 AM)F Gump Wrote: Michael Scotto:

Spencer Dinwiddie, Theo Pinson, and Mavericks front office members Matt Riccardi and Andrew Baker spent time with Irving in Brooklyn and know the baggage he brought during their tenures with the Nets.

While Dallas has been connected to Irving once again in trade talks, league sources with knowledge of the Mavericks’ thinking downplayed the team’s chances of landing Irving in a trade.

1. Dinwiddie and Kyrie are friends going back to high school and DW helped recruit KI to Brooklyn. So I'm not sure the talk about him being aware of Kyrie's baggage is fully informed of their history, and the author seems to be fitting facts to his own opinions. Spencer will probably vouch for the guy and is a good example of someone Kyrie gets along with.

2. "In a trade" is an interesting qualification. That gives me the impression that Dallas is definitely interested but may be more inclined to look into a S&T this summer (which could be seen more like a signing) rather than take the risk of a trade right now with no future guarantees.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 01:41 AM)donzingis38 Wrote: One thing I know for sure is we can't afford to lose Josh Green. Every team still needs some young blood. Watching this team sometimes I feel like we just need to find slightly better players than Powell, Bullock and THJ. These aren't the type of players you want to go to war with.

The thing is the Lakers or any other team getting a Kyrie knows this and will make it clear.   The Mavs OTOH are led by an owner who doesn’t believe in that and that message is filtered down. We were taking on bad contracts and players that the Wizards wanted desperately to get rid of. Yet we threw in a 2nd round pick. Meanwhile the Lakers get Hachimura easily and can evaluate if he fits into their long term plans. At that time I thought he might have been untouchable. Now I know it was just the Mavs FO not being firm enough to not blink first.  Or maybe they didn’t even ask if he was available.  Can’t put anything past these guys. 

The pieces in the FO keep changing. Their negotiation skills do not. There is only one common thread in all of this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 10:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One thing that makes me doubt the Kyrie-Mavs story. Looking at big trades in the past the Mavs never leaked anything to the press. Rondo and KP came out of nowhere. Even draft picks used to be state secrets.
Maybe Nico and Kidd changed things but I tend to doubt pre deadline/draft/free agency rumors that involve the Mavs.

This is a rational and measured take.

But on the other hand you have a desperate owner and a team in disarray. Kyrie has been linked to the Mavs before last year many times, and given the Dinwiddie/Kidd connections, I'm not as doubtful as you are.

I do hope the Mavs stay far away, but unfortunately you never know and erring on the side of caution.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe Nico and Kidd changed things but I tend to doubt pre deadline/draft/free agency rumors that involve the Mavs.

Nico is a connections guy with a marketing background, so I can see him taking a different approach with NBA media than Donnie ever did.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 10:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One thing that makes me doubt the Kyrie-Mavs story. Looking at big trades in the past the Mavs never leaked anything to the press. Rondo and KP came out of nowhere. Even draft picks used to be state secrets.

True, but the Kidd for Harris trade was out there in the rumor mill for sure and wasn’t a surprise at all.  Kyrie is a much bigger name with a much larger web of connections than anyone the Mavs have been involved with since the Kidd trade, so I expect this one would be leaked. What makes me doubt it are the stories sourced to the Mavs throwing lukewarm water on the idea—like we know we need to shake things up, so we’ll kick the tires, but don’t hold your breath.
Like Reply
The last 8 or so pages have been absolutely brutal regarding Cuban's abilities as an owner.  There's only so many times a fan base can be traumatized and I think we are at a breaking point.  Here's to hoping he doesn't jack knife the franchise moving forward in the Luka era.
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 12:58 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: The last 8 or so pages have been absolutely brutal regarding Cuban's abilities as an owner.  There's only so many times a fan base can be traumatized and I think we are at a breaking point.  Here's to hoping he doesn't jack knife the franchise moving forward in the Luka era.

I see it the other way. Many Mavs fans are so irredeemably cynical right now that instead of enjoying the trade deadline they use every bit of news as pretext to rant about Cuban, hate their own team, think of trades that make other teams better at our expense, and talk about Luka eventually walking away. It's exhausting.

When something brings you no joy, take a break! But please don't ruin it for everyone else.
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DanSchwartzgan, MFFL, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-04-2023, 12:58 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: The last 8 or so pages have been absolutely brutal regarding Cuban's abilities as an owner.  There's only so many times a fan base can be traumatized and I think we are at a breaking point.  Here's to hoping he doesn't jack knife the franchise moving forward in the Luka era.

What's saddest to me is that I think he pretty much already has, and we're all spread out, stuck at various points along the "realization spectrum" about it. 

Either the Porzingis or Brunson disaster would've been hard to work around, even by a top-notch franchise loaded with assets. This front office isn't top-notch, didn't start off with an abundance of assets, and is currently trying to dig out of the hole created by enduring BOTH of those missteps. The simple truth is that it might take the entirety of Luka's current rookie max extension to get back to square 1, if these decision makers are even capable of finding a path there at all. 

There are those among us who think a couple of good moves might get this thing ready to compete right away, and sometimes I feel like I'm among them. I think this might be possible for a competent front office, but it's just not clear whether or not that's what the team has, despite the recent changes. 

I've been trying to fight the urge to give up my fandom, but it's tough.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BoredAssistant, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply