Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-02-2023, 01:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: While it may be too late to even give him the max extension, that’s the direction I would want, and do it before the TDL to show him the commitment. Not much faith in getting more than we paid for him.

I completely agree that he's worth more to the Mavs than what we would get in trade, but I'm beginning to sense 1) either the post above is right that he just doesn't want to be here, which 100% gives the lie to his wanting to play for a winning team (and he did a great job of fooling me), or 2) he wants to test the market this summer and make more than the max extension in any event, and 3) the Mavs should be able to get him for less than market value this summer if he really wants to play for a winner, but they don't have a lot of interest in that kind of bidding war because they just don't value Wood. 

Sucks in any event.
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 01:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I completely agree that he's worth more to the Mavs than what we would get in trade, but I'm beginning to sense 1) either the post above is right that he just doesn't want to be here, which 100% gives the lie to his wanting to play for a winning team (and he did a great job of fooling me), or 2) he wants to test the market this summer and make more than the max extension in any event, and 3) the Mavs should be able to get him for less than market value this summer if he really wants to play for a winner, but they don't have a lot of interest in that kind of bidding war because they just don't value Wood. 

Sucks in any event.

Even players that want to "win" won't take significant discounts for that pleasure. Players are securing their future financial security and I don't blame them for that at all. Everyone wants to feel valued at their job. I full expect Wood to get above his current max extension offer if he makes it to the offseason. He's put up really good numbers and been a good teammate all season. He has a size/skill set that few have.
Like Reply
what are the state of the trade deadline, the rumours. WHo are we getting and trading?
Like Reply
It is too bad we haven’t seen him with a confident Green, DFS and a not dead Bullock much.  

I am hoping they keep wood but we will see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
The best case scenario is we have an agreement in place and are waiting to announce it after TDL business is done. This is unlikely 

The next best scenario is we trade him and get back roughly what we gave(bad pick and cap savings) 

The only other good scenario is Wood doesn’t get an extension and gets exposed in the playoffs. We sign him to the full MLE because that’s the best offer he gets

The bad scenarios which seems most likely are: 1) he plays at a high level and gets a 4/100 from someone like Charlotte and leaves for nothing or 2) he plays well and we sign him at a premium and add yet another bad contract we can’t move
Like Reply
Some points on Wood signing an extension:
1 An extension for Wood has always had well-defined limits, and we have never heard that Wood has no interest in an extension of some size. Instead, it's just been a question of how much of that max extension amount would be offered.
2 As far as we know, none of that has changed. By all accounts he still wants an extension, at his number.
3 There's no real reason for his desire for an extension at his number to vanish in the next week. If he wants the security of a deal in hand on Thursday, why would that vanish on Friday where he suddenly wants to deal with free agency? Rationally, it wouldn't.
4 He is who he is at this point, and there's no way he can change that grade in the next week. He might not even play any games in the next week - and at most, there are only 3 games possible before Sat Feb 10.
5 If he's still a Mav after the TDL, that is probably not a statement that he has immense value around the league, since the offers the Mavs would get will be based on how much teams want him. If no one pursues him, that says something about his potential free agency market interest (or lack of same) as well.
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: If no one pursues him, that says something about his potential free agency market interest (or lack of same) as well.
Possibly, it could also mean they know they can get the money to get him in FA, so why give anything up for him now. Exactly the Brunson situation. Tampering with his agent is key, and not in any way out of the realm of possibility.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • omahen, rocky164
Like Reply
Wood back practicing.   Couldn't keep my eye off Javele though.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...5495603200
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:  Couldn't keep my eye off Javele though.

He even practices like a clown. 

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?????
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He even practices like a clown. 

Ya, he was on defense there, why TF was he grabbing the rim? Shaqtin a Fool moment if I've ever seen one!
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: 2 As far as we know, none of that has changed. By all accounts he still wants an extension, at his number.
3 There's no real reason for his desire for an extension at his number to vanish in the next week. If he wants the security of a deal in hand on Thursday, why would that vanish on Friday where he suddenly wants to deal with free agency? Rationally, it wouldn't.

I don't know why the Mavs are keeping their options open with Wood given he wants to re-sign. They can't get fair value for him if they traded him by himself or combined with others. The only reason (at least for me) that they should trade him, is that if he doesn't want to re-sign regardless of years or figures. The FO should just focus and THJ, Bertans, RB and McGee and just leave Wood be. Don't make this harder than it is.

And lastly, tell Wood, that Kidd would be gone by next season.
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: 5 If he's still a Mav after the TDL, that is probably not a statement that he has immense value around the league, since the offers the Mavs would get will be based on how much teams want him. If no one pursues him, that says something about his potential free agency market interest (or lack of same) as well.

That sure worked with Brunson.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He even practices like a clown. 

I could honestly watch an entire documentary on how this signing came to be.

I keep thinking it had to be Kidd's asking because of the Lakers championship season but I need all these details.  I need to know if there were any grown ups who spoke up in the room and pointed out the obvious fact that this guy is completely washed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wood back practicing.   Couldn't keep my eye off Javele though.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...5495603200

Jesus just go ahead and stretch-waive him. Going to be impossible to trade. At least gives an open spot to Dwight Howard or someone like that
Like Reply
Anyone remember when I told everyone that he was indeed still McShaqtin and starting McShaqtin over Wood was ridiculous, yet I got pushback?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 05:23 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Anyone remember when I told everyone that he was indeed still McShaqtin and starting McShaqtin over Wood was ridiculous, yet I got pushback?

Huh Huh

I don't remember anyone pushing back at that besides Kidd and his crazyass naming him the starter before a single practice
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Jym Wrote: Huh Huh

I don't remember anyone pushing back at that besides Kidd and his crazyass naming him the starter before a single practice

Looking back, only the vocal minority liked McShaqtin. Here is a real quote from this board though…

“I can't believe y'all don't like this signing.

McGee was probably the best backup big in the league last year. 5 mil for that is still HALF of what we're paying Powell.

Him starting doesn't really matter. Powell started every playoff game for 3 minutes, and it had no effect to what the Mavs were doing. McGee even at age 35 is better than Powell today.”
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 06:41 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Looking back, only the vocal minority liked McShaqtin. Here is a real quote from this board though…

“I can't believe y'all don't like this signing.

McGee was probably the best backup big in the league last year. 5 mil for that is still HALF of what we're paying Powell.

Him starting doesn't really matter. Powell started every playoff game for 3 minutes, and it had no effect to what the Mavs were doing. McGee even at age 35 is better than Powell today.”
I liked McShaqtin when he came in. But i like all the players the mavs get. Until i don’t. I like to give them all a chance though. 

We still need the “idea” of what McGee was supposed to be. But Mcgee the person not being reliable i blame on Kidd. He coached him before and should have known. It’s decisions like this that are having me question Kidd being the guy. The McGee signing should have been a safe signing, but here we are
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 11:37 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: 3X nba champion mcgee. Unproven loser Wood. One of the two words this year is accountability. Wood must earn it. This way sends a better message to the team

Sorry bro I have to get you. Not being a dick it’s all in good fun. It’s ok to be wrong. I wanted to “buy low” on Brandon Knight when he was on the Suns lol.
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 07:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Sorry bro I have to get you. Not being a dick it’s all in good fun. It’s ok to be wrong. I wanted to “buy low” on Brandon Knight when he was on the Suns lol.
I say some wild shit at times. I can’t control it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply