Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(06-23-2022, 10:10 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: Hollinger’s Top 75 NBA Draft prospects: Jabari Smith No. 1, plus tiers and breakdowns of 2022 class

Jun 16, 2022

17.   E.J. Liddell | 6-7 junior | PF | Ohio State
I’m a bit higher on Liddell than most, just because I can’t help thinking that he’s so darn smart that he’s going to figure this out one way or another. Watching him defend against guards is a good example; even though he’s at a speed disadvantage, he plays just close enough to stop them from walking into pull-up jumpers and forces them to dribble into his help.
For instance, here’s Wisconsin Johnny Davis trying to get a pull-up on him:

That IQ translates to other facets, such as his timing for off-ball shot blocks that made him an elite college rim protector despite being 6-7; his 35-inch standing vertical at the combine helps explain why. Seemingly every time I watch an Ohio State game, I see Liddell do some random, clever thing that you don’t normally see from college players.

Liddell added the 3-ball to his repertoire this season, knocking down 37.4 percent on decent volume, and has become a very good pull-up shooter. Despite lacking a deceptive handle, he drew a ton of fouls; his strength obviously helps here and should acquit him well against fours and fives at the NBA level.

Overall, you’d like him to be quicker laterally, especially with his first defensive slide, where now he can look stuck in concrete at times, and you question how much of his offensive game translates to the next level. Nonetheless, I’m buying him as a 3-and-D combo forward who can be effective in a variety of lineups.

(06-23-2022, 10:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-Uezq1a6A

49.   Jaden Hardy | 6-4 | SG | G League Ignite
Hardy is still being talked about as a first-round pick, apparently, even though he was one of the worst players in the G League a year ago. He played 21 games and posted an 8.5 PER and was a traffic cone on defense.

Hardy’s shot is a definite plus, a tight flick off the shoulder that he gets into relatively easily off the dribble, and he has a pretty strong frame. However, that’s where the positives end. His shot selection bordered on disastrous, he’s not an elite athlete and rarely got all the way to the basket, and he pretty clearly isn’t a point guard. He also didn’t do the measurements portion of the combine, and I’m wondering if he’s shorter than his listed 6-4.

Is there something to grab on to here with the youth, the shooting and the frame? Perhaps it’s worth the bite of the apple by this point in the draft, which is why I’ve listed him here, but I’m having a hard time getting excited.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:35 PM)Arioch Wrote: I know we don't care about Mark's money (I certainly don't

Hey, I could've told you yesterday they weren't "buying" a pick. 

I totally get it.
Like Reply
Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "Jaden Hardy becomes the second client of Rich Paul’s Klutch Sports in Mavs history, following Nerlens Noel in 2017. Mavs famously did not do business with Klutch after the Noel debacle" / Twitter
Like Reply
18ppg 35% FG, 26% from 3, 3.2ast/3.5tov...Basically the guard with the worst shooting percentages and ast/tov ratio in the entire draft class.

Cannot find a lot of positives. Really hope that he proves me wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
All i know is someone who once told me Giannis was going to be the steal of a certain draft told me before this draft that this guy will be the guy.  Otherwise, I’ve never heard of him.  But, excited to have him on the team. I’ve got a good feeling about this one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "Jaden Hardy becomes the second client of Rich Paul’s Klutch Sports in Mavs history, following Nerlens Noel in 2017. Mavs famously did not do business with Klutch after the Noel debacle" / Twitter

Ugh...don't like that.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Really, really hope I am wrong on this. He should be a shooter immediately....but what else?

It’s a low risk gamble.  Now, comparing him to Liddell moving forward will be interesting.  EJ is a guy many, including myself, would have loved to pick up.  

I’m just glad the FO actually is attempting to add young talent to develop instead of just punting.  You won’t hit on them all but you have to at least try and bring in some projectable talent both for your own team and as potential future chips. 

I hope this is a theme every year for this FO.  Keep taking shots at adding talent.
Like Reply
I think Coach Kidd got up to go to the bathroom and Cuban and Keith Grant worked on the deal to get the pick and the player.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hey, I could've told you yesterday they weren't "buying" a pick. 

I totally get it.

What is the cause? Cuban being cheap. Mavs still not able to negotiate a trade without paying extra 2nds.
Like Reply
Liddell went to the Pelicans.
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon on Twitter: "Jaden Hardy was the No. 19 player on the Mavericks’ draft board, a source told ESPN." / Twitter
Like Reply
We did it!
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:35 PM)omahen Wrote: How many players will Memphis collect?

Shams Charania on Twitter: "Sources: San Antonio will pick Kennedy Chandler at No. 38 and trade him to Memphis." / Twitter

Memphis is so smart.  It is depressing looking at their players they have drafted over the last 3 years vs the Mavs.   None with elite picks either.

Chandler is really good.  He is just really small and that will really limit him.  But Memphis may lose Tyus Jones this summer who may look to start somewhere.    Chandler may be his replacement.   If they lose Jones though, maybe they look for a cheap veteran though as Chandler may need some time.

(06-23-2022, 10:42 PM)omahen Wrote: Tim MacMahon on Twitter: "Jaden Hardy was the No. 19 player on the Mavericks’ draft board, a source told ESPN." / Twitter

I think Vecenie had him at 20, but I can't find his draft guide on the Atlhletic at the moment.   Hollinger isn't a fan though.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:36 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: 49.   Jaden Hardy | 6-4 | SG | G League Ignite
Hardy is still being talked about as a first-round pick, apparently, even though he was one of the worst players in the G League a year ago. He played 21 games and posted an 8.5 PER and was a traffic cone on defense.

My first reaction is that the summary misrepresents the number of games he played in the G League. It was 12, not 21. My second reaction is that I think it's funny to ignore a kid's entire career where he was a top draft prospect and describe him like he sucks based on just 12 games.
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • Jommybone, nash_funk, SleepingHero, Smitty, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
Hardy could be an interesting case study for this new Mavs culture.  

This is a kid that was a blue chip recruit and lottery lock before heading to G League.  Watching his film, he tried to be the entire offense way too often.  The shooting stroke is real though.  

If he buys in like the team did this year this could be a great pick.  

That culture is also another one of the many reasons I hope the Knicks fail in their Brunson chase because Jalen was, is and will be a huge part of that and would be a lights out mentor for a guy like Hardy.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:44 PM)Tyler Wrote: My first reaction is that the summary misrepresents the number of games he played in the G League. It was 12, not 21. My second reaction is that I think it's funny to ignore a kid's entire career where he was a top draft prospect and describe him like he sucks based on just 12 games.

My reaction is who the hell is Hollinger and why do we quote him here? Did he even play ball? His formula for rating players sucks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Should be getting one of the two-way contracts. Low risk move - put him in the G-League for another year and see if he keeps improving. If he doesn't pan out then all they gave up were some future 2nd rounders that probably will be towards the end.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 10:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Vecenie had him at 20, but I can't find his draft guide on the Atlhletic at the moment.   Hollinger isn't a fan though.

You are correct about Vecenie. He also was not a fan, but compares him to Poole gamble. Some make it, some don't
Like Reply
Cuban better get out his checkbook. The Knicks are all in on Brunson and his Dad being a assistant coach won't help matters either.
Like Reply
At least I was right that Keels was a smokescreen............
Like Reply