Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was right, Kamm was wrong (ab Gobert)
However, part of the equation in "you can just bench him" is that he is $40M of your talent base, or about 1/3. Presumably 2/3 of your talent won't be as capable as another team's full group, and you have created a self-inflicted handicap on winning games. If that happens as a one-off, no biggie, but if that is how you have to Game Plan with regularity and have drained yourself of other talent to get him, then Gobert is a mistake.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 03:52 PM)cow Wrote: Gobert would probably get a Luka bump on the offensive end, but for as much money as he makes you need more than what he offers.  Even if you could and him inexpensively, and I doubt we could, it's a massive gamble taking on his contract as it would be really hard to get off of.  

2022-23:  $38,172,414
2023-24:  $41,000,000
2024-25:  $43,827,587
2025-26:  $46,655,173 (PO)

Assuming Jalen resigns in the neighborhood of $20,000,000, your core of Luka, Gobert, Jalen and DFS will be at $107,000.00 in '22-23.

That contract is terrible, but it is the only reason we are talking about him.  I doubt THJ+Powell+first gets it done, but the only reason its even conceivable is that contract.

107 is a lot, but that is a championship core.  Add in Din, Bullock and Maxi for another 35 and you have your 7 man playoff rotation.  The rest can be vet mins, draft picks and flyers.  That Bertans contract is going to cost a mountain in tax if you can't dump it, but that is the price you pay for the KP mistake.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 04:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: That Bertans contract is going to cost a mountain in tax if you can't dump it, but that is the price you pay for the KP mistake.

I guess I'm just looking forward to the mountain of tax you'd need to pay for the Gobert mistake.  I know I said otherwise before, but I don't think I'd do THJ/Powell/'22 for Gobert.  That contract is terrible and I worry about what he'd do to the lockerroom.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 07:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Beat me to it.  I think the most likely path to Gobert would be using Brunson's outgoing S&T to NY as part of the salary.  We need to get to $30.5mm in outgoing and Brunson can count $10-$13 million of that.  Add THJ (or Maxi and Bullock) and we've hit the mark.  From there, add our 2025 pick and some of the assets NY is giving up for Brunson (our 23 pick with protections lifted and enough players to match Brunson's incoming salary...probably includes Noel or Robinson and some of their youngsters).  Depending on which NY players we are talking about, we may be starting to get there.  If Robinson is included, Utah would need to end up under the Apron, but I think that is doable.  You don't get a top 20 player, even an overpaid one, without feeling some pain.
Using Brunson to get someone is definitely on the table. If it’s Gobert-Brunson though then NYK should be the one paying the full freight. Brunson just showed last couple weeks he’s more valuable. The contracts each will have make Brunson considerably more valuable, IMO. NYK should pay Utah and give us an asset to get Brunson or it doesn’t make sense for Mavs and we walk away. Not only that but we get to dump Bertans as well
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 01:50 PM)Smitty Wrote: If you have to bench any player that makes 40M+… my goodness.
This is the whole reason why he’s worth talking about. This is why he will be so cheap. It will scare most teams off. We can only afford to buy some sort of damaged goods. 

Our fit makes so much more sense than most other teams
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 09:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We've already seen it happen. Westbrook was benched multiple times in the 4th quarterduring the regular season, and Frank Vogel was thanked by the fans. 

Our very own RC benched Porzingis/reduced his role drastically in the playoffs to no one's ire. If anything the players get the flak for not being versatile enough. 

Because he can affect the other 36 minutes of the game drastically. Gives us different looks. Allows us to be more versatile as we can finally match opposing bigs. Just because we're getting Gobert doesn't mean the Mavs can't go small anymore. That's the beauty of having a 2 offensive creators above 6'6, and several 6'6 and above wings.
Your last point is important. The best feature of Gobert is the team being able to play multiple styles. Small ball(which should more appropriately be called positionless basketball) is not going away. The end game of positionless basketball is 5 Giannis’s with better 3pt shooting and handles. Or five 7ft Steph Curry’s that can paint protect, defend and rebound. Or five 7ft Luka’s with more athleticism and better defense. So it makes no sense calling it small ball when the ideal players are bigger players who can do everything(big reason why Luka is so valuable as a massive guard). Gobert only does 2 things well. Not very positionless of him. It makes sense to use “small ball”sometimes. Sometimes it doesn’t. Versatility

It’s also why Maxi needs to stay if we get Gobert. We get Gobert and trade Maxi…….we suddenly have a huge hole in our team and we would need a big who can stretch the floor with 3’s and defend the perimeter. None of which Gobert can do. Hence why we destroyed Utah. They had no answer after Maxi unlocked the “small ball “ lineup. One dimensional teams like us and Utah don’t stand a chance though against teams who can do both. Either because they can play both ways with different types of players or they have a special big that can play any way(Ayton, Bam, Giannis, Embiid)
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 06:22 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: This is the whole reason why he’s worth talking about. This is why he will be so cheap. It will scare most teams off. We can only afford to buy some sort of damaged goods. 

Our fit makes so much more sense than most other teams

We really do make more sense than most teams for him despite his warts. Especially after watching what Phoenix's centers have been doing to us. We're going nowhere without a center upgrade
Like Reply