Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
If Dinwiddie wasn’t into crypto, would this trade have happened?
[-] The following 3 users Like DrMav's post:
  • haveitall, MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
The Athletic is giving Mavs a C for this trade, Bleacher is giving us a D.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think the worst thing about this, honestly, is that Brunson is probably gone this summer. 

This trade has "we're worried about losing Brunson" written allll over it, imo.

It's crazy that all week we kept speculating how we'd work to position ourselves to make it easier to sign Brunson and now...
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/MikeBacsik/status/1491872740143517701?s=20&t=C6E6mgSlazMBycm1d35ihw

This 100%.  It didn’t net the Mavs talent, draft picks, or financial flexibility.  You needed to get back at least one of those things, or just stand pat and take your medicine like a big boy.

It would have somewhat made sense if they immediately moved Powell or Maxi AND THJ, because you created several roster redundancies with this move and could have created $30M of financial flexibility by offloading 2 of those 3.
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • haveitall, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think the worst thing about this, honestly, is that Brunson is probably gone this summer. 

This trade has "we're worried about losing Brunson" written allll over it, imo.

I actually see this as a "we want two of Luka+JB+Dinwiddie playing at all times" situation.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Fuerza1, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
People need to quit whining. I think you guys don't realize how much of an albatross KP's contract was. Combined with his injury issues, he just didn't have any value. This at least splits his 30+ million a year between two players. 18 million is much easier to move than 35. I'm not saying this is a home run by any means, but it was time to move on from KP and try something else. 

I don't think Dinwiddie and Bertans just forgot how to play basketball either, I'm sure we're betting on them being much better here than they were in Washington this year. You can see in theory at least what they were going for: a playmaker and a stretch 4. 

This was probably the best we could do to get out from under KP's contract.
[-] The following 8 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • AgGiE1991, BoredAssistant, fifteenth, Kammrath, khaled1987, KillerLeft, michaeltex, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:39 PM)cow Wrote: I still think the Kings did fine.

What I dont understand is what this achieved in terms of tradeable contracts.  Neither contract is any good, they are not shorter.  Incoming players are garbage.  At least KP had some promise, even if he was injured we could hope that would step it up in a playoff run.  Dallas needed a many for one trade that bought a better player instead they traded arguably their 2nd or 3rd best player for nothing and gave up a draft asset and didn't save a penny.
[-] The following 2 users Like haveitall's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs poured a TON of energy into showcasing and making KP as good as possible....and so we have seen "peak" KP with Luka here and it was completely underwhelming. 

I would bet a lot of $$$ that Bertans and Dinwiddie are going to look TONS better playing with Luka and after a year we will look back on this trade with a lot of understanding.

Agree with the first point, and think it's obviously, objectively correct. 

And, the dude is just not reliable, health-wise.

But, I don't think the second point is likely. That doesn't mean they could've done better than this, necessarily, but I don't have high hopes for the new guys. Maybe Bertans, but I HATE Dinwiddie. HATE his game.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:42 PM)omahen Wrote: The Athletic is giving Mavs a C for this trade, Bleacher is giving us a D.

Unless the players dramatically change their performance while in Dallas, both seem to be grading on a steep curve
[-] The following 2 users Like DrMav's post:
  • hakeemfaan, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs poured a TON of energy into showcasing and making KP as good as possible....and so we have seen "peak" KP with Luka here and it was completely underwhelming. 

I would bet a lot of $$$ that Bertans and Dinwiddie are going to look TONS better playing with Luka and after a year we will look back on this trade with a lot of understanding.

Way more likely it going the other way.  Bertans sucks and Dinwiddie is a shell.  This a terrible return.  I would rather have dumped him for air.  I would much rather just kept him than this pile of poo.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Mavs2021, MrGoat, omahen
Like Reply
Bertans contract was terrible when the Wizards gave it to him.  Now we have to hope he can rebuild his game and return that contract value to terrible again.
[-] The following 7 users Like cow's post:
  • DrMav, hakeemfaan, haveitall, ItsGoTime, khaled1987, Mavs2021, MrGoat
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:39 PM)cow Wrote: I still think the Kings did fine.

I thought they did pretty good though I would not have given up Tyrese.

Compared to what we did.  Actually there is no comparison.  Yuck. Everything that has happened the last decade after the title, both basketball and non basketball,  has only strengthened my feeling that Cuban just got very lucky with the whole Yahoo stuff and then later with Dirk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:42 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: This was probably the best we could do to get out from under KP's contract.

Regrettably, this is probably true. 

I hope people don't think WAS is the only place they tried. 

Today is the first day after the terrible, awful KP era. It's not a fun place to be, but at least the healing can now begin.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I actually see this as a "we want two of Luka+JB+Dinwiddie playing at all times" situation.

I'm really trying to convince myself that this is the case and that we were already planning on going into the tax.

The problem is, Dimwiddie is terrible off the ball so I don't think he pairs with either of them.  He's night and day this season for the games he's played with Beal and the games without.

Also, what the hell is this rotation supposed to look like when Hardaway is back?  Are we about to have a 40M second string backcourt???
Like Reply
This feels like what we ended up with the Rondo and Odom trades but without the Hope on the front side.
[-] The following 3 users Like Berknip's post:
  • DrMav, ItsGoTime, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:47 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Are we about to have a 40M second string backcourt???

Mavs actually have 16+17+21 mil coming from the bench in three players alone. Mavs bench is more expensive than Mavs starting unit Smile

And all of them are signed long term Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • burekemde, ItsGoTime
Like Reply

I agree I have warmed up to the trade now that I think about it. 

I just hope we can get a few bigs in here but we know we needed offense most and we got a shooter and a scorer that can create. 

Those are vital in working with Luka's artistry. 

KP just never worked out but I am hopeful that we will continue to move forward with the scoring punch we just added.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 02:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: What the fuck did Dinwiddie say to Cuban

The same thing Chandler Parsons did.... Big Grin
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:42 PM)omahen Wrote: The Athletic is giving Mavs a C for this trade, Bleacher is giving us a D.

This trade has me feeling like I took a fat D if you know what I mean
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:49 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs actually have 16+17+21 mil coming from the bench in three players alone. Mavs bench is more expensive than Mavs starting unit Smile

Whether we can see how right now or not...whether we even believe it's possible or not, I have to believe the Mavs feel it will be easier to transition out of those two, smaller bad deals next year than it was to turn KP into something good now.

No more pointless post ups by a guy who can't really post up! That's a plus!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BoredAssistant, fifteenth
Like Reply