Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MISSING: Mavsluvr (his last picture)
Kind of fun to be posting in the Cave again. 

How can we invite BDL, GKAR, JADE and j0n?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
GKAR should already be here, you know, because, Kidd
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 11:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: GKAR should already be here, you know, because, Kidd

Who am I forgetting? 

The ones I mentioned...you, me...Grumpy! Silent made a stop through here not too long ago. 

Who was the guy who always said "there's no such thing as clutch - there's only pure talent?"
Like Reply
You used to be able to go to the old site and still see Cave history
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 11:54 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You used to be able to go to the old site and still see Cave history

I know. I used to check every so often to see if any of the pals had reached out.

TOP!

SHEEHAN!

MMG!

Man, where are these people!?
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
SilentMav
j0nathan
BDL
The Official Poster
Jeff at Deep Ellum
MFFLSheehan
MadMavsGirl
Grumpy
GKAR
Guy who always wrote "there is no clutch, there is only pure talent"

If any of you are reading this, drop in and party with us!
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
@"KillerLeft", I believe,  iirc, I recruited you to the cave back in the day :-)
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-20-2022, 12:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: @"KillerLeft", I believe,  iirc, I recruited you to the cave back in the day :-)

Probably right. 

That was a fun crew!
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 11:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I sure hope you do decide to post more!

(01-19-2022, 11:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"Not an evil robot" the main takeaway from that for me is that we need to read more from you!

Appreciate the kind words, but unfortunately I rarely have much to add between the few games I can catch (thanks Bally!) and my incredibly uninformed basketball opinions (basketball only a mistress, married to soccer). There are a few times topics stray into lanes I’m much more informed on, but the combination above does make lurking here a generally good time.

(01-19-2022, 11:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Yes, we need an evil robot for sure!

No no, not an evil robot. Not even a little. Definitely not suspicious. Although I intended to be “not a robot monster” (an homage to one of my favorite all time terrible movies) which I promptly forgot when I actually created the name and have been too lazy to message a mod about changing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Not an evil robot's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:57 PM)Not an evil robot Wrote: Appreciate the kind words, but unfortunately I rarely have much to add between the few games I can catch (thanks Bally!) and my incredibly uninformed basketball opinions (basketball only a mistress, married to soccer).

Soccer's was my number 1 sport for playing. Love the beautiful game. Basketball is my watching sport. 

Also, we don't require that basketball opinions be informed! Have you check out the stuff we say around here?!

(01-21-2022, 05:57 PM)Not an evil robot Wrote: No no, not an evil robot.

Yeah, I noticed my mistake after I posted that. Great name, by the way.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Soccer's was my number 1 sport for playing. Love the beautiful game.
I am both English and a sports fanatic, and I will never get the fascination people have with football/soccer. It’s slow as balls, and for me EASILY the least watchable of any of the recognised sports.

I’d happily watch volleyball or golf over premier league football…
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 09:34 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: I am both English and a sports fanatic, and I will never get the fascination people have with football/soccer. It’s slow as balls, and for me EASILY the least watchable of any of the recognised sports.

I’d happily watch volleyball or golf over premier league football…

Ha ha! Well, I don't watch it much, but when I do I'm locked in. But that may because I played for 30 years, play with my kids now,  and coached my kids a bit.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-18-2022, 10:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Pal, not sure if you've noticed, but the board is facilitated these days by your old cave pals.

I know, and I will always love you guys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes meistermatze's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
UPDATE

As I posted on the main forum, I’ll be doing recaps on another site for a while. To everyone who has had the patience to make it through this mega-discussion, I am going to try to put a bow on it now.

THOUGHTS ON TAKING A BREAK

This whole controversy has left me thinking that it might have been better overall if I had gone out and raised more hell and taken the incoming over it when I was younger. The role of “accused troublemaker” is not one I have much experience with, and I haven’t been as adept at it as maybe I should have.  Hopefully, if it ever comes up again (and I hope it doesn’t!), I’ll be a little more resilient. 

But, for now, I have to do the best I can. I still like writing about the Mavs, and I realize certain changes have taken place on the forum recently. But every time I think about posting, and ponder all the ongoing disputatiousness, I am suddenly awash in a sea of uncomfortable emotions — bewilderment, guilt, questions about why I didn’t see all this coming, confusion, irritation, discouragement, apprehension, fear of offending more people without quite knowing how or why, weariness, and more. And then I have a strong urge to go clean out the garage. Or take out the trash. Anything but posting.

I am not saying any of the above is anyone’s fault, or even that’s it’s wholly justifiable. But it’s real. Many of you have suggested (in a nice way) that I shouldn’t be such a snowflake, and there is some logic in that, but I can’t help it.

Accordingly, I think I should continue to self-exile for a bit. This way, anyone who wants to read the recaps still can, and I won’t be in everyone else’s face every day.

GOALS FOR THE SABBATICAL

I don’t want to leave without mentioning how amazing most of the responses in this thread have been — so many very thoughtful and beautifully stated observations. This is probably more constructive criticism than I have received in the last ten years! I will continue to reflect on the sentiments expressed. 

In that regard, here are a few areas where I hope to use this time to try to be better.

— In the past, I have urged people not to let their hearts be troubled by online disputes with people they didn’t even know. I meant well at the time, but now it seems smug. In the future, I will try to remember that wounds delivered over the internet can sting as much as anything similar in “real life,” and be more sensitive. 

— Correspondingly, I have been pretty free with the use of humor and irony in posting, never thinking that someone might take some mild internet ribbing seriously enough to be affected by it. In the future, I will try to think more carefully about using sarcasm and other potentially biting forms of humor, especially with people who don’t enjoy kidding around. It won’t be as much fun, but at least I might avoid leaving hurt feelings in my wake.  

— I have had a tendency when posting responses to fly through them, popping off replies without even noticing whom I am responding to. This had never struck me as anything but harmless. In future, I will try harder to slow down, be aware of whom I am talking to, and adjust accordingly, just as I would do if I were talking with someone in person.

I am sure I will think of other areas for betterment, as I further contemplate the situation.

MODERATORS/BOARD

There seems to be some lingering question about whether the authorities around here actually or constructively kicked me out. They did not. Apart from Kamm’s initial post, no one threatened me with a ban or asked me to voluntarily leave. (I have to admit I thought moving this thread to the troll forum might be a precursor to that, but I have since discovered that being sent to the cave is somewhat of a badge of honor, lol.) 

I appreciate the Poobahs’ desire not to be heavy-handed, but I have probably brought them way more grief than they ever thought they signed up for, so I’ma take it upon myself to give them a well-deserved break.  While we never reached agreement about certain things, my regard for them did not waver. 

This board, imho, is tops in the fan forum space. That is no accident. Everyone plays a part, day by day, in maintaining the high-quality culture. The price of excellence is eternal vigilance, and I commend the posters here on their commitment to that. 

GOING FORWARD

If anyone who enjoyed my recaps is still out there, you can find the new ones at Lone Mavs Fan Forum until further notice. Of course, I am not planning on saying anything offensive in them; but, if you detect me wandering off the straight and narrow, I’ll count on you to help keep me in line. Tbh, the prospect of just talking basketball, without feeling like I have to be constantly on high alert for which personalities might possibly be triggered by this or that phraseology, feels to me like a comfy chair, a fire, and a glass of wine on a cold, rainy day. 

I’ll probably be back someday, whenever this tempest has faded into the mists of memory. I can imagine the old-timers sitting around the campfire, somewhere ages and ages hence, saying, “Remember that time Kammrath and mavsluvr both took their marbles and went home? What was all that about, anyway?"

Meanwhile, I will look forward to recapping and discussing the games with whoever might be interested.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(02-03-2022, 06:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Tbh, the prospect of just talking basketball, without feeling like I have to be constantly on high alert for which personalities might possibly be triggered by this or that phraseology, feels to me like a comfy chair, a fire, and a glass of wine on a cold, rainy day. 

ML you have been and always will be a valued member of this community. I don’t understand though why you keep spouting this idea. No one, and I mean literally no one has ever been censored on this website for speaking their thoughts. Only 1 person has been banned and that was due to them literally attacking someone else non-stop, on site, in excess of 30 days.  And even then they were given another 2 months of leeway before actually getting banned. I cannot stress enough that we as mods literally just do janitorial work, and this board is run as a co-op as much as possible. We run no ads (Thanks to SBJ). We ask for nothing in return besides everyone to treat each other with respect and have fun. With all that freedom there are bound to be dust ups. 

This narrative is entirely driven in your head. For whatever reason you can’t seem to get over this. Whatever happened was a petty internet squabble where everyone has already moved on and forgot. If you have this thinned skin on the internet then it's a tough place to survive. 

If you don’t want to post here then that's your prerogative and I absolutely respect your decision (despite how sad I am with it!). There are still many people here that would love to read your stuff. I hope you can move past this like everyone else already has. We’ll be waiting with open arms when/if you ever decide to come back!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(02-03-2022, 10:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: No one, and I mean literally no one has ever been censored on this website for speaking their thoughts.
No? I guess my thread on the main forum and part of this one just deleted themselves. 

SMH.

Whatever.
Like Reply
(02-03-2022, 11:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: No? I guess my thread on the main forum and part of this one just deleted themselves. 

SMH.

Whatever.

Yeah I soft deleted that thread because I felt you advertising another Mavs forum on the main page was kind of lighting a match to the bridge on your way out.

That was BEFORE Fifteenth and Killer PM'd me the incredibly nice private message you wrote to them explaining your reasoning behind such a post. As such, I acted before I knew all the information which is 100% my fault and I apologize. 

In any case I've since restored that thread. I know in your mind I'm probably your eternal enemy now but I do hope you can move past this and see where I was coming from and how it was an honest mistake. 

All the best ML
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-03-2022, 04:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yeah I soft deleted that thread because I felt you advertising another Mavs forum on the main page was kind of lighting a match to the bridge on your way out.

That was BEFORE Fifteenth and Killer PM'd me the incredibly nice private message you wrote to them explaining your reasoning behind such a post. As such, I acted before I knew all the information which is 100% my fault and I apologize. 

In any case I've since restored that thread. I know in your mind I'm probably your eternal enemy now but I do hope you can move past this and see where I was coming from and how it was an honest mistake. 

All the best ML
Consider it forgotten, SH. 

I think this is as good an example as any of why I think it really is best for me to fade into the background while we're all still on edge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-03-2022, 07:08 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Consider it forgotten, SH. 

I think this is as good an example as any of why I think it really is best for me to fade into the background while we're all still on edge.

Hey taking breaks really are helpful! I was driving myself mad last year trying to defend KP (an act of sheer folly looking back now), and was getting to a level of burnt out I've never experienced before in my Mavs fandom. 

Took a couple of days off and it really did fix my mental state. But anyways my main point, and really my only lasting takeaway, is you are always welcome to return and write or to just lurk if you wanted! This place is nothing without its members, and you are one of the best!

Till we argue about the Mavs again, hopefully sooner than later.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, mavsluvr
Like Reply