Poll: Who do you think will win the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
87.50%
7 87.50%
Grizzlies
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 47: MEM (32-17) @ DAL (27-20)| 91-104 WIN!
I think the chemistry between Luka and KP in the game was great. I did not see any issue with the way Luka read the defense and made the play.
[-] The following 3 users Like RedFlag41's post:
  • Arioch, burekemde, omahen
Like Reply
Fun win against a short handed Memphis team.  Game was played during an all timer FB playoff game too.

Maybe there is credit all the way around, but Maxi and DFS look much more comfortable with the ball in their hands this year.  It is not always pretty and neither are natural doing it but both have grown this year.  Putting the ball on the ground, making solid passes, etc.  It is nice to see that growth with two veterans.

Josh Green is much more natural passing the ball than DFS and Maxi, but it is also nice seeing a young player get a chance to expand his game and not look to give the ball up right away and run to the corner.  It is not always pretty when he is trying to create offense for himself, but it is much better when he is playing by feel and not worried about doing something wrong.

KP was great on defense last night.  Just really impressive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 06:22 AM)burekemde Wrote: Great points! THats why im all in for Sabonis. The defense would be so confused who the playmaker is going to be. Luka, Brunson, or Sabonis. It would be too much simply. Also having 3 gives the coach a termendous advantage in going with the playmaker that is showing the best game through the first 3 quarters, depending on the matchups and how they evolve in a game.

Don't have the assets to get him, and don't see this team being top 5 defense with Sabonis as the center.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 01:35 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: I loved the game...to a point.  It's great to see the defense, it's great to see the scoring and able to not have to ride people all over the place for high minutes.

BUT

I see things that might be a problem later....and it's back with Luka and KP.  I saw 5-6 times tonight that KP and Luka ran the pick and roll, and KP had a clear roll to the rim...easy alley.  I think three of them were after blocks he made on the other end.

Every time, Luka passed up the easy dunk for KP to try some mind bending pass to someone at the 3 point line.  Instead of 10-14 points taking KP at the rim, 4-5 amazing passes for 3 total points, and 1 Stepback 3 air ball to end the half...that seriously concerns me.

Kidd talked about how the great ones make it easier and they win...but that's not taking the easy stuff, that's being cute with it for whatever reason.  From innocent things like wanting the more challenging play to test himself or trying to make sure the other guys are involved, to more concerning chemistry stuff with KP or even making sure he's the man...but I don't like it.

What you practice and perform in the regular season is what you become in the playoffs.  In the middle of January on a random night, you can choose to make it look cooler, but we need to make sure we take the easy buckets when we can take them, and when you continually practice in games passing up sure easy buckets for the more impressive cool passes for whatever reason, that is going to bite you in the butt.

As much as I enjoyed the win, my enjoyment was tempered because that specter of last year raised it's ugly head in little ways.  I love our team, and Luka is amazing and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league at all, BUT, that stuff works if you are fine just getting to the second round and all, but if you want to win championships, this nonsense needs to be streamlined out of your gameplay...

As I said, if you are just talking a win in January - that flies.  If you are talking championship, and that's what I want from the Mavs, then that's a problem.  There's a big difference between doing it because you can and doing that because it was the best move to make.  He can't be perfect, and I know we'll probably see some of this all the time, and I like some of it, but it's just not wise to take the guy you want to make sure gets going and you want to keep the energy up on the defensive end and you keep blowing him off and not feeding him on the other end.  That's not good long-term. 

I hope Kidd is getting this message across, because it hasn't been received yet.

Man, I hate to bail, but I've got a big day, so I can't go back adn search through the whole game and find all of them, but here's a couple that stood out in easy to find places.

I know these are pictures, but trust me, I've watched the video and they tell the story well.  

In one, JJJ and Adams both go to Luka leaving KP on the run to the basket against one of the rookies (I think) from Memphis, and Luka gives it to THJ for a long, semi-contested three that misses.

[Image: Mavericks-Grizzlies-KP-Luka-1.jpg]

In the other, at the end of the half, you can see that clearly, KP is running free to the rim and Luka chooses to hold the ball and shoot a long contested stepback three that misses.  Luka is even looking directly at him and Konchar is the only defender that can effect him, so that's no problem.  Both plays were good opportunities for and-1s, imho.

[Image: Mavericks-Grizzlies-KP-Luka.jpg]

There was another where KP went right down the middle of the lane, was two feet from the basket with a guard behind him and two guys at Luka and Luka chose to try to hit DFS way in the corner..it was an easy pitch and throwdown...and there were more, imho.

This may seem picky to some, because this was a blowout in January and the Mavs always had the upper hand, but these decisions are the difference between winning and losing in tight games later.  The habits you develop in the regular season are your default habits in the playoffs when everything is going crazy and the pressure is high.  That's my concern.  

We'll need those easy points that aren't as flashy or whatever if we have them and KP can't always just be your decoy to go for the more risky play...  People talk about Luka may have been putting some extra juice on because of the AS game, in a good way, but if he's thinking that way, why not throw the lob and get your teammate who is the second most likely AS on your team, some buzz.  I don't think KP will get it, but that "LUka is showing Ja who's boss in the voting" stuff works on multiple levels.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:00 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Man, I hate to bail, but I've got a big day, so I can't go back adn search through the whole game and find all of them, but here's a couple that stood out in easy to find places.

I know these are pictures, but trust me, I've watched the video and they tell the story well.  

In one, JJJ and Adams both go to Luka leaving KP on the run to the basket against one of the rookies (I think) from Memphis, and Luka gives it to THJ for a long, semi-contested three that misses.

[Image: Mavericks-Grizzlies-KP-Luka-1.jpg]

In the other, at the end of the half, you can see that clearly, KP is running free to the rim and Luka chooses to hold the ball and shoot a long contested stepback three that misses.  Luka is even looking directly at him and Konchar is the only defender that can effect him, so that's no problem.  Both plays were good opportunities for and-1s, imho.

[Image: Mavericks-Grizzlies-KP-Luka.jpg]

There was another where KP went right down the middle of the lane, was two feet from the basket with a guard behind him and two guys at Luka and Luka chose to try to hit DFS way in the corner..it was an easy pitch and throwdown...and there were more, imho.

This may seem picky to some, because this was a blowout in January and the Mavs always had the upper hand, but these decisions are the difference between winning and losing in tight games later.  The habits you develop in the regular season are your default habits in the playoffs when everything is going crazy and the pressure is high.  That's my concern.  

We'll need those easy points that aren't as flashy or whatever if we have them and KP can't always just be your decoy to go for the more risky play...  People talk about Luka may have been putting some extra juice on because of the AS game, in a good way, but if he's thinking that way, why not throw the lob and get your teammate who is the second most likely AS on your team, some buzz.  I don't think KP will get it, but that "LUka is showing Ja who's boss in the voting" stuff works on multiple levels.

I don't give anything to the Luka vs Porzee thing.

But I rewatched the game after reading your initial post, so I was looking for it.
And at least at your first example Luka made the right play.

KP seems to be open, but the Grizzlys did a very good job in recovering and taking this option away.

There are also some plays where Luka throwed some perfect lobs to KP.

I don't know if they like or hate each other, but playing together seems fine to them at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:20 AM)Mapka Wrote: I don't give anything to the Luka vs Porzee thing.

But I rewatched the game after reading your initial post, so I was looking for it.
And at least at your first example Luka made the right play.

KP seems to be open, but the Grizzlys did a very good job in recovering and taking this option away.

There are also some plays where Luka throwed some perfect lobs to KP.

I don't know if they like or hate each other, but playing together seems fine to them at the moment.

Fair enough, but I think there was only one alley oop to KP that I saw and that was in the second half.  DFS passed him one when he cut up the baseline, but that was DFS.

I disagree that Luka made the correct play on the first one, but to each his own.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:26 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Fair enough, but I think there was only one alley oop to KP that I saw and that was in the second half.  DFS passed him one when he cut up the baseline, but that was DFS.

I disagree that Luka made the correct play on the first one, but to each his own.

Yeah, I was probably thinking of this one. Might have been the only one this game.

There was at least one moment KP was pointing at Luka after an assist with joy in his eyes.

We all know Luka loves to call his number. That's good and bad - but not always connected to KP.
Like Reply
Luka has been working on a curve....

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...6811008001
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 11:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Luka has been working on a curve....

The ball actually slightly curves mid air....

Magician.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 11:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Luka has been working on a curve....

Yeah, that pass so confused me. I didn't understand what I was seeing the first time. I think he bent space-time with that pass.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Mavs2021
Like Reply
No idea whether the net gave the ball the rotation, but it´s Luka, so I wouldn´t put it past him that he actually bent the ball like Beckham. Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, michaeltex
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 11:24 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No idea whether the net gave the ball the rotation, but it´s Luka, so I wouldn´t put it past him that he actually bent the ball like Beckham. Wink

With a breaking ball like that, the Rangers should sign him up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply