Poll: Who do you think will win the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
87.50%
7 87.50%
Grizzlies
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 47: MEM (32-17) @ DAL (27-20)| 91-104 WIN!
Pinson time!
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 09:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do not agree that that was the only reason he played well the last couple of seasons. I believe Carlisle and staff helped him improve, also.

If RC's staff helped him improve as a player, why does he still make largely the same mistakes he's always made as a player AND is less effective overall as soon as RC has left?

(01-23-2022, 09:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: While I share your assessment of how he has fit with the team this season, I do not agree that it is a foregone conclusion that he will always look this bad. It is certainly possible, but then again it is also possible that he’ll figure out how to fit in with this kidd system, given enough time.

I just don't see where THJ fits in this system if the reason he's largely fitting out is because of his poor decision making. I don't magically expect him to come around playing a role he doesn't necessarily like either. But who knows?

(01-23-2022, 09:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If they trade him, we will know that they don’t believe he’ll get there. If they don’t, then I think that will tell us a little bit about how they view him. He seems to be playing more minutes than Bullock recently, so that maybe should tell us a little something.

I think THJ playing more than Bullock right now is because they have to showcase him somehow. 

I'm not trying to make such sweeping conclusions but I seriously can't fathom how THJ will magically transform and fit what the Mavs need in year 9 of his career.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 09:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm not trying to make such sweeping conclusions but I seriously can't fathom how THJ will magically transform and fit what the Mavs need in year 9 of his career.

Did you expect Kleber and DFS to suddenly learn how to floor the ball and attack closeouts, even to create shots for others?

Look, this entire team was playing like crap to start the year. Slowly but surely, they are all figuring out how to do what they were doing the last few years, only with their new defensive responsibilities added to the mix. I honestly think it’s possible that hardaway is just a little slower to that point than everyone else. His defense has improved recently, to be honest. Would it really shock you if he starts knocking in threes a few days from now, or a week from now? I wouldn’t call that magic, personally.

I do agree that he’s not really a sixth man type, but even that might be something he can learn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
THJ needs to be traded.  We should have never resigned him.  He's a great teammate but he's the epitome of of inconsistent, not just in shot making but in his shot selection and decision making.
Like Reply
I’m not even saying I wouldn’t trade him. I would definitely be gauging his value if I were the Mavericks. I’m just saying that I’m not sure you’re going to get a deal for him that improves on where the team would be if they found a way to get him playing at the level of the last couple of years.

Again, I’m not saying it’s probable. Just possible, and probably ideal. But yeah, if they can find a good deal for him, I’m not gonna cry.

(01-23-2022, 09:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think THJ playing more than Bullock right now is because they have to showcase him somehow. 

This is possible, but I think they’re playing him more because they realize he is a far superior player to Bullock and they are trying to get him out of this weird funk he’s in. 

We’ll see. The good news is literally everyone else on the team looks great.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Kidd with some VERY interesting comments about Dorian in his presser.
Like Reply
Kidd stated Dallas needs a third ball handler for the playoffs and DFS is growing in that role.  Said more responsibility, more money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Kidd with some VERY interesting comments about Dorian in his presser.

[Image: giphy.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Kidd with some VERY interesting comments about Dorian in his presser.

I think cowlie Caplan asked the question, of course.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

"LD and JB are going to have problems if we don't have at least one other guy who can bring the ball up. In the playoffs, they take your best and second best away, so you need a third guy."

"This adds value to DFS. He'll make more money." 

I recommend you watch it. Really interesting, and some details are already fading from my memory. The general impression I got is that DFS aint going anywhere at the deadline (thank goodness).
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:18 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Kidd stated Dallas needs a third ball handler for the playoffs and DFS is growing in that role.  Said more responsibility, more money.

Obviously we have a lot of smart users that think like Kidd or Kidd is smart enough to read the board and just repeat our ideas. Tongue
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: "LD and JB are going to have problems if we don't have at least one other guy who bring the ball up. In the playoffs, they take your best and second best away, so you need a third guy."

"This adds value to DFS. He'll make more money." 

I recommend you watch it. Really interesting, and some details are already fading from my memory. The general impression I got is that DFS aint going anywhere at the deadline (thank goodness).

or Brunson,

I am ready to trade THJ for tan, ready and rested Dragic if no buyout is possible.
Like Reply
Seam like pushing Ja to AS cost Grizzlies. They were playing mybe the best BB when he was out for few games per my eyes..

Great W!
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:31 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I am ready to trade THJ for tan, ready and rested Dragic if no buyout is possible.

I kind of hate it, value wise, but it would help with the tax issues that are worrying us all with the Brunson/DFS situation. Maybe there's a way to get something else out of it, in addition to Dragic?
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I kind of hate it, value wise, but it would help with the tax issues that are worrying us all with the Brunson/DFS situation. Maybe there's a way to get something else out of it, in addition to Dragic?

Sure, do the best trade we can.  I really want Timmy to be good and play well but he is letting the fans and the team down.  Shame.
Like Reply
Like Reply
I loved the game...to a point.  It's great to see the defense, it's great to see the scoring and able to not have to ride people all over the place for high minutes.

BUT

I see things that might be a problem later....and it's back with Luka and KP.  I saw 5-6 times tonight that KP and Luka ran the pick and roll, and KP had a clear roll to the rim...easy alley.  I think three of them were after blocks he made on the other end.

Every time, Luka passed up the easy dunk for KP to try some mind bending pass to someone at the 3 point line.  Instead of 10-14 points taking KP at the rim, 4-5 amazing passes for 3 total points, and 1 Stepback 3 air ball to end the half...that seriously concerns me.

Kidd talked about how the great ones make it easier and they win...but that's not taking the easy stuff, that's being cute with it for whatever reason.  From innocent things like wanting the more challenging play to test himself or trying to make sure the other guys are involved, to more concerning chemistry stuff with KP or even making sure he's the man...but I don't like it.

What you practice and perform in the regular season is what you become in the playoffs.  In the middle of January on a random night, you can choose to make it look cooler, but we need to make sure we take the easy buckets when we can take them, and when you continually practice in games passing up sure easy buckets for the more impressive cool passes for whatever reason, that is going to bite you in the butt.

As much as I enjoyed the win, my enjoyment was tempered because that specter of last year raised it's ugly head in little ways.  I love our team, and Luka is amazing and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league at all, BUT, that stuff works if you are fine just getting to the second round and all, but if you want to win championships, this nonsense needs to be streamlined out of your gameplay...

As I said, if you are just talking a win in January - that flies.  If you are talking championship, and that's what I want from the Mavs, then that's a problem.  There's a big difference between doing it because you can and doing that because it was the best move to make.  He can't be perfect, and I know we'll probably see some of this all the time, and I like some of it, but it's just not wise to take the guy you want to make sure gets going and you want to keep the energy up on the defensive end and you keep blowing him off and not feeding him on the other end.  That's not good long-term. 

I hope Kidd is getting this message across, because it hasn't been received yet.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 01:35 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: I loved the game...to a point.  It's great to see the defense, it's great to see the scoring and able to not have to ride people all over the place for high minutes.

BUT

I see things that might be a problem later....and it's back with Luka and KP.  I saw 5-6 times tonight that KP and Luka ran the pick and roll, and KP had a clear roll to the rim...easy alley.  I think three of them were after blocks he made on the other end.

Every time, Luka passed up the easy dunk for KP to try some mind bending pass to someone at the 3 point line.  Instead of 10-14 points taking KP at the rim, 4-5 amazing passes for 3 total points, and 1 Stepback 3 air ball to end the half...that seriously concerns me.

Kidd talked about how the great ones make it easier and they win...but that's not taking the easy stuff, that's being cute with it for whatever reason.  From innocent things like wanting the more challenging play to test himself or trying to make sure the other guys are involved, to more concerning chemistry stuff with KP or even making sure he's the man...but I don't like it.

What you practice and perform in the regular season is what you become in the playoffs.  In the middle of January on a random night, you can choose to make it look cooler, but we need to make sure we take the easy buckets when we can take them, and when you continually practice in games passing up sure easy buckets for the more impressive cool passes for whatever reason, that is going to bite you in the butt.

As much as I enjoyed the win, my enjoyment was tempered because that specter of last year raised it's ugly head in little ways.  I love our team, and Luka is amazing and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league at all, BUT, that stuff works if you are fine just getting to the second round and all, but if you want to win championships, this nonsense needs to be streamlined out of your gameplay...

As I said, if you are just talking a win in January - that flies.  If you are talking championship, and that's what I want from the Mavs, then that's a problem.  There's a big difference between doing it because you can and doing that because it was the best move to make.  He can't be perfect, and I know we'll probably see some of this all the time, and I like some of it, but it's just not wise to take the guy you want to make sure gets going and you want to keep the energy up on the defensive end and you keep blowing him off and not feeding him on the other end.  That's not good long-term. 

I hope Kidd is getting this message across, because it hasn't been received yet.

Could you point on some examples? I thought Luka was looking all the time for KP, at the rim, in the paint, as well as at the 3. He does more than others on the team to involve KP in the game flow. If he missed him one or two times at the rim when he was open, that happens, even for the best. I didnt notice it, maybe because when he found the open player at the 3 with the great pass, that is also a great opportunity for the team. I agree I would prefer an easy dunk over an open 3 point shooter any time however. But i didnt notice it. Another thing is that we can be spoiled by having a top 5 player on the planet. They also do mistakes, and so do the other 4 in the top 5. They miss open players every game. Ja missed a lot a lot more than Luka this game for instance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I think Luka has a tendency to miss KP a few times on the 3pt line. Didn´t notice anything in other situations, and especially the rim-running part gets more and more difficult, because teams scheme for that specific play. In turn it allows Luka to score more easily in the paint.

The most interesting play to me in the whole game was Josh Green bringing up the ball and finding a cutting Porzingis for the immediate dunk. Why? Cause it was a two second half-court offense, but the defense seemed utterly confused by the concept that the Mavs start a play without Luka (or at least Brunson) touching the ball. They were all like: Wait can they actually do that. Isn´t that illegal offense or something?

I found that so eye-opening. There is so much potential making this offense a little more unpredictable by adding that 3rd legit playmaker, plus the improvements from DFS.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • burekemde, fifteenth, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 06:20 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think Luka has a tendency to miss KP a few times on the 3pt line. Didn´t notice anything in other situations, and especially the rim-running part gets more and more difficult, because teams scheme for that specific play. In turn it allows Luka to score more easily in the paint.

The most interesting play to me in the whole game was Josh Green bringing up the ball and finding a cutting Porzingis for the immediate dunk. Why? Cause it was a two second half-court offense, but the defense seemed utterly confused by the concept that the Mavs start a play without Luka (or at least Brunson) touching the ball. They were all like: Wait can they actually do that. Isn´t that illegal offense or something?

I found that so eye-opening. There is so much potential making this offense a little more unpredictable by adding that 3rd legit playmaker, plus the improvements from DFS.

Great points! THats why im all in for Sabonis. The defense would be so confused who the playmaker is going to be. Luka, Brunson, or Sabonis. It would be too much simply. Also having 3 gives the coach a termendous advantage in going with the playmaker that is showing the best game through the first 3 quarters, depending on the matchups and how they evolve in a game.
Like Reply