Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 127, Pistons 117
(04-22-2021, 01:01 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The data is a little confusing as the first set has him at 5.4 "post up touches" per game and the second has him at 4.0 post ups per game. 

I am pretty sure first set are all post up plays he has. This includes plays where he receives the ball and passes it forward without resulting in a play. So just pass, not assist or "assist attempt".

4.0 number is a bit more confusing. My guess would be that it counts all post up actions that result in a shot or foul. So the difference between 2.8 shots attempted and 4.0 is fouls resulting either in  FT or just foul on floor. My best guess. 

In both cases he attempts around 3 shots per game from post up and scores on half of them.
Like Reply
The below is from a Tim Cato "roster check-up" piece yesterday.  It confirms that KP has been more effective than he's ever been from 0-3 and from 3-10.

I went back and looked at KP shot attempts in a couple of games.  I think the disconnect between my eye-test on "post ups" and the data is one of definition.  I was referring to traditional back to the basket and take several dribbles to back your man down and establish rhythm.  I don't like those for KP and he's not taking a large volume of those.  I love when he flashes to the post and they hit him in stride and he rises up for a 10 foot jumper.  It appears to me there are all sorts of things getting counted as "post ups" beyond the kind of plays I don't like.

It shows me Carlisle is making a concerted effort to make him a more effective player.  Put a big on him, KP takes the big to the three point line.  Put a wing on him, KP takes him inside.  Now, if we could just get that D going.  Interesting stat...In wins this season KP's O-Rating/D-Ratings are 123/107.  His box score numbers are the same as in losses at about 20/9/2, but he hits 41% of his 3's and has a TS% of .610 (Pay that guy whatever he wants).  In losses his O/D Ratings are 105/119 with a 3% of .298 and TS% of.537.  So goes KP, so goes the team.

Kristaps Porzingis 

Porzingis is attempting and converting the highest share of his field-goal attempts within 3 feet of the rim this season while also dunking more frequently than ever before. Unlike Doncic, his jumper hasn’t changed much. It looks like it should go in more often than it does, but he’s level with his career averages. Where he’s been better — and what has led to a career-high True Shooting mark — is his offense within 10 feet of the rim. He’s converting 47 percent in the “floater” range, where he’s shooting between 3 and 10 feet of the basket, and 74 percent within 3 feet of the rim. Those are both excellent numbers that prove he’s starting to leverage his size into easier and easier buckets.
Like Reply