Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What happened to THJ?
(05-05-2021, 10:26 PM)embellisher Wrote: I just hope it continues to and through the playoffs.

I find it at least somewhat encouraging that the team didn't treat Tim's bad stretch as some glitch in the universe that just had to be endured. They analyzed what was going wrong, figured out a fix, and worked with him to implement it until he got back on track. Not to say it can't happen again, but at least they're approaching it in a systematic manner that has the potential to result in long-term improvement. One can hope, anyway.
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 07:20 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I find it at least somewhat encouraging that the team didn't treat Tim's bad stretch as some glitch in the universe that just had to be endured. They analyzed what was going wrong, figured out a fix, and worked with him to implement it until he got back on track. Not to say it can't happen again, but at least they're approaching it in a systematic manner has the potential to result in long-term improvement. One can hope, anyway.

Do you get the idea, from coaches, and insiders that see practices at times (Skin, Isaac Harris, others) that the coaching staff is constantly working with each player on their game? And that they work harder and more than fans typically realize. Sometimes, based on message board arguemnts, I think fans view practice as all scrimmage. But it sounds lke the reality is that the all the players are getting one on one attention and help in deveoping their game. Is that your sense of things as well?
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 08:40 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Do you get the idea, from coaches, and insiders that see practices at times (Skin, Isaac Harris, others) that the coaching staff is constantly working with each player on their game? And that they work harder and more than fans typically realize. Sometimes, based on message board arguemnts, I think fans view practice as all scrimmage. But it sounds lke the reality is that the all the players are getting one on one attention and help in deveoping their game. Is that your sense of things as well?

Totally.
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 10:01 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Totally.

Well well well. Followill? Is it really you? Wink   Greetings from Germany!
He didn't answer fifteenth' question with something like "I'm not around the team and I don't have insider infos. So I don't know." So I would classify his answer as an open confession that he is a person around the team - obviously Followill. Cool Angel
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 06:42 PM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Well well well. Followill? Is it really you? Wink   Greetings from Germany!
He didn't answer fifteenth' question with something like "I'm not around the team and I don't have insider infos. So I don't know." So I would classify his answer as an open confession that he is a person around the team - obviously Followill. Cool Angel

lol, omigosh
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 06:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: lol, omigosh

Yes, word already got around to Germany. Big Grin
But I guess you have to concentrate on commenting the game now. Wink
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...9782643713
Like Reply
THJ playing like the Mavs 2nd best player............
Like Reply
(05-12-2021, 10:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: THJ playing like the Mavs 2nd best player............

[Image: usatsi_11292828.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/13...2190300166
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 07:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/13...2190300166

As long as he gets paid like a 6th man, groovy!
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479x3k54u29ypfod5hny...y.gif&ct=g]
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 07:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: As long as he gets paid like a 6th man, groovy!

https://twitter.com/CJMcCollum/status/13...3829272577

Not sure that's going to happen if he keeps up his current level of production ... ;-)
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:47 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: https://twitter.com/CJMcCollum/status/13...3829272577

Not sure that's going to happen if he keeps up his current level of production ... ;-)

It was never going to happen...Assuming I know what "paid like a sixth man" means.

BTW, whatever Redick told Hardaway when he turned to him for advice on his slump has made the Redick trade totally worthwhile (not that anyone is crying over Johnson and Iwundu).
Like Reply
One more note...

Clearly the THJ as a starter with KP, Maxi, DFS and Luka thing is working well in terms of THJ success.  What about JRich?

In two playoff games he's averaging 18 minutes, 8.5 points, 2.5 boards and 1.5 assists.  FG% is .556 and 3% is .400.  If you normalize that to a per-30 minutes basis (what he averaged during the regular season), it is 14.3, 4.2 and 2.5 with .556 and .400.

His actual regular season performance at 30 minutes was 12.1, 3.3 and 2.6 with .427 FG% and .333% from three.

No idea what this means to JRich's future, but so far the change to a bench role has made him more impactful.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 09:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: No idea what this means to JRich's future, but so far the change to a bench role has made him more impactful.

I would agree. Do you know what his +/- is while coming off the bench?
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 09:06 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I would agree. Do you know what his +/- is while coming off the bench?

I’m only looking at the two playoff games as there were all sorts of mitigating circumstances in the final three games of the regular season.

He was +0 in a 10 point win in game one
He was -10 in a 6 point win in game two

I don’t believe that says much if anything about JRich.  Carlisle has basically stripped the bench of any scoring punch.  Plus, almost all of JRich’s minutes have been in replacement of DFS (who has been an absolute monster).

IF the team were to bring everyone back and continue the roles as they are now, we would definitely need a veteran bench scorer added to this lineup.  Think Rudy Gay or someone like that.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 09:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: IF the team were to bring everyone back and continue the roles as they are now

This is such a depressing idea to me. This team is majorly flawed and Luka covers so many of them with his transcendent play. My greatest fear is the Mavs front office won't be able to see that if the Mavs beat LAC and maybe the winner of UTA/MEM.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 09:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This is such a depressing idea to me. This team is majorly flawed and Luka covers so many of them with his transcendent play. My greatest fear is the Mavs front office won't be able to see that if the Mavs beat LAC and maybe the winner of UTA/MEM.

Isn’t that the question.  IF we are flawed, how can we win two playoff series (possibly against the teams with the first and second Net Ratings in the regular season).  Or better, if we can beat the best two regular season teams in the league in playoff series, are we that flawed?

I think back to your post about having the 3rd best D-Rating in the league against top competition (can’t recall the exact data point).  Maybe we are better than most of us perceive.

No need to count chickens too early.  Just a thought.  But it has always been an issue that going after a “third star” means risking the loss of two good players for a shot at one great one (been saying this since pre-season).  The “third star” market is pretty thin this summer and I’m not sure there is room for another high usage guy on this roster.  It took Conley a year to figure out how to co-exist with Mitchell.  KP hasn’t figured it out with Luka yet and I’m not thrilled with what that looks like if we add someone else of that ilk.  Maybe the Luka model is a single star and 8 guys who are all really good at specific things (no holes).  Luka seems to be better at making good players better than he is at making great players great-er.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 09:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Clearly the THJ as a starter with KP, Maxi, DFS and Luka thing is working well in terms of THJ success. 

If we don't count the late March/April slump, THJ has been great this season so far. Is there really anyone that could replace his production in FA? Sure Lowry or Conley might be better overall, but they are also way older and likely way more expensive. No way I would risk with Fournier or Powell over a "we know what we have" guy as THJ. Perhaps Ball, because he is younger. Playoffs are of course not over yet and our perception might change a lot if Mavs lose next four with THJ shooting 1-63 for the rest of the series. But as it is now, I just don't see a better option.
Like Reply