Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What happened to THJ?
Remember when he was a consistent scorer and almost untouchable? What happened? He's kind of a scrub now.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 11:09 AM)jerryjohnson Wrote: Remember when he was a consistent scorer and almost untouchable? What happened? He's kind of a scrub now.
I don’t think he was ever untouchable. But this is his second or third slump this year. Definitely concerning.
Like Reply
Last 15 games he is still shooting 42% from three while averaging 15.4 pts, 4 rbds, 2 asts....but he has slipped to being the worst on the team in on/off over those 15 games with his impact on D slipping to an abysmal -11.8.
Like Reply
Not a shock for those who watch him close. Games against bad defenses might fool you, but his impact is and always was negative. His defense is just pathetic, last night if you look close he was clearly resting on D, giving no effort and trying to get his numbers on offense. Bad playmaker, bad shot selection .... I'm glad people are starting to see him for what he is. He should be hated just as well as J-Rich here, but somehow people love him.
Like Reply
He is who he is.

Great players play at their best level very consistently. But we don't think THJ is great, so we shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't do that.

Average players are more inconsistent. That's who we think THJ is. They will have some good games and some mediocre-to-bad ones, sometimes one at a time and sometimes a few in a row. In those streaks, in one area he may play well, in another not well at all. And sure enough, that's exactly what we get with THJ.

No mystery.
Like Reply
He clearly lacks focus on both ends. Had some terrible tov over the last couple of games.
Also not the best option for more advanced defensive schemes. A bad team defender trying to play a rotation heavy switch all scheme is not a good idea. That´s nothing new. He had similar problems last year and will probably always be below average. Difference is that it felt like he also plays with less energy. He had some pretty big moments on the defensive end earlier in the season. Including a game winning stop against Gallinari and a team leading number of drawn charges (13 for the season, only one in the last 10 games).

Plenty of reasons to explain the decline...
Maybe he is just exhausted. Leads the Mavs in total games played and is 2nd in total minutes. Honestly think that Luka and Brunson look tired as well.
Maybe he struggles with his ever changing role. Starter or bench player. Spot up only, 6th man or 2nd option.
Maybe he is just in one of his usual mid season slumps and can bounce back right in time for the playoffs/play in.
Like Reply
Hopefully this is dispelling all conceptions that he should get a contract anywhere close to his current deal. I'd give him a deal starting at $14 mil tops, and that's a push. If some one out there wants to pay him more, bye now.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 01:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Hopefully this is dispelling all conceptions that he should get a contract anywhere close to his current deal. I'd give him a deal starting at $14 mil tops, and that's a push. If some one out there wants to pay him more, bye now.
Bingo! I love THJ but i’m not sure I’d even want to go that high at this point.
Like Reply
A Will Barton contract seems more appropriate.
Like Reply
I like him in the sixth man, come out firing off the bench role, sixth man of the year candidate and one day winner, and all that.  It would be great if he were retained and paid for that role and expected level of contribution.  But he’s not a center piece player IMO who you break the bank over. Right now, he’s just had a couple of bad games. He’s as likely as not to rain down threes in the next game.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 01:32 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Bingo! I love THJ but i’m not sure I’d even want to go that high at this point.

Right like what's the point? Mavs have something like 25-35 mil dollars, lets aim higher.
Like Reply
He and JRich should get the same contract at this point.
Like Reply
I really like Hardaway in the scoring bench role.  I think for the most part he has played really well this year.  The last few games he has looked off though.  I think Brunson has looked a little off as well.   Unfortunately how this team is put together, they really depend on Hardaway and Brunson to play well.   Hardaway to provide an offensive spark and Brunson to be efficient, smart and tough player.   When that doesn't happen, it is really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ideally having a little more scoring punch (with good defense) with your starting wings would make the Hardaway role even better.  Where his offensive punch is a great nice to have, rather than something we need to count on every game.   When he comes in and gets 15 points quickly, is such a nice weapon.  I just feel like we need to count on that production a little more than we probably should.
Like Reply
So incredibly bad.
Like Reply
7th straight horrible 3-pt shooting game. 32% for the month of April. He might be finally running out of gas...they will actually need Redick big-time
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 05:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I like him in the sixth man, come out firing off the bench role, sixth man of the year candidate and one day winner, and all that.  It would be great if he were retained and paid for that role and expected level of contribution.  But he’s not a center piece player IMO who you break the bank over. Right now, he’s just had a couple of bad games. He’s as likely as not to rain down threes in the next game.

Or he could come out blazing tomorrow night, and can't miss.  That's how it usually works with shooters.  But I agree, his slump has been long and problematic. They need his points.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:27 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Or he could come out blazing tomorrow night, and can't miss.  That's how it usually works with shooters.  But I agree, his slump has been long and problematic. They need his points.

The thing is even when he's on he's barely passable out there due to his defense.

THJ is a 6th man at best and is most likely reserved to be a big contributor on a non-contender. Mavs shoulda traded him this TDL and sold high.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
36% FG and 30.7% 3P in the last 15 games.

THJ and JR have easily been the Mavs two worst players in the last 15 games. 

I think THJ is a $10M player at most.

I think JR is a $6M player at most.
Like Reply
I am going to repeat myself. Mavs are resting Luka, Maxi and KP. The only guys that have to play all the time are Brunson, DFS and THJ. THJ is 2nd in total minutes. 1st in total games played. Up until the allstar break he probably played the best basketball of his career. @"Kammrath" already posted the numbers in april. That´s probably the worst version of THJ.
Right now THJ isn´t helping the team when he is on the floor. Might as well give him a short break. At least 2-3 games, ideally 5-10 days.
Like Reply