Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What happened to THJ?
(04-27-2021, 08:52 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 36% FG and 30.7% 3P in the last 15 games.

THJ and JR have easily been the Mavs two worst players in the last 15 games. 

I think THJ is a $10M player at most.

I think JR is a $6M player at most.

Right and I don't want either of them on the Mavs at any price. THJ should go get himself an MLE deal somewhere as a shooter. My issue with him is that even though he has reinvented himself as a shooter is a career average 3 point shooter and that's not good enough. Mavs need someone in the "shooter" role that has a career of success outside.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 09:02 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Might as well give him a short break. At least 2-3 games, ideally 5-10 days.

Absolutely. Running him ragged going into the playoffs is not helping anything. It would be good to know if rest would get him back on track.
Like Reply
Well this is a difficult one. Midway through the season I ate crow for my opinion on Hardaway but the way he is playing right now I don't know if I was right after all. He has fallen of a cliff in a shocking manner.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 09:48 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Well this is a difficult one. Midway through the season I ate crow for my opinion on Hardaway but the way he is playing right now I don't know if I was right after all. He has fallen of a cliff in a shocking manner.

Ya he really has. I do think he is going to get it together (perhaps at the exact right time) to help the Mavs this season or in the playoffs but he is clearly a guy you can't depend on long-term.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 09:02 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am going to repeat myself. Mavs are resting Luka, Maxi and KP. The only guys that have to play all the time are Brunson, DFS and THJ. THJ is 2nd in total minutes. 1st in total games played. Up until the allstar break he probably played the best basketball of his career. @"Kammrath" already posted the numbers in april. That´s probably the worst version of THJ.
Right now THJ isn´t helping the team when he is on the floor. Might as well give him a short break. At least 2-3 games, ideally 5-10 days.

Green needs some of his minutes...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 09:13 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Absolutely. Running him ragged going into the playoffs is not helping anything. It would be good to know if rest would get him back on track.

It's not like he's contributing much right now.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Green needs some of his minutes...

I have been calling for more Green minutes too...

But that video someone posted the other day showing what teams are doing on defense when JRich is in is pretty telling.   

If teams are not respecting one of your players shooting abilities...it turns into a 5 vs 4 situation/clogged lane.

I dont think teams are respecting Green's shooting.  Give him non-garbage time minutes and it is going to hurt our offenses ability to score.

He needs real minutes to get a feel for real action and to learn to shoot in real time...I agree.  I also agree that our team needs to learn to score on the 4 vs 5/clogged lane situations in real time.  

The video that was posted showing a team completely leaving JRich wide open could be something that only happens in certain situations and isnt all game long...but regardless...until he learns to shoot Green is going to hurt this team's offense unfortunately.

Are you suggesting give him minutes anyway?  Or in a garbage time?  Or are you suggesting this from a standpoint that lots of teams play guys that cant shoot heavy minutes and that we should be able to compete even with a bad wing shooter for a few minutes a game?
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:25 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I have been calling for more Green minutes too...

But that video someone posted the other day showing what teams are doing on defense when JRich is in is pretty telling.   

If teams are not respecting one of your players shooting abilities...it turns into a 5 vs 4 situation/clogged lane.

I dont think teams are respecting Green's shooting.  Give him non-garbage time minutes and it is going to hurt our offenses ability to score.

He needs real minutes to get a feel for real action and to learn to shoot in real time...I agree.  I also agree that our team needs to learn to score on the 4 vs 5/clogged lane situations in real time.  

The video that was posted showing a team completely leaving JRich wide open could be something that only happens in certain situations and isnt all game long...but regardless...until he learns to shoot Green is going to hurt this team's offense unfortunately.

Are you suggesting give him minutes anyway?  Or in a garbage time?  Or are you suggesting this from a standpoint that lots of teams play guys that cant shoot heavy minutes and that we should be able to compete even with a bad wing shooter for a few minutes a game?

Green cant be anymore of a negative than THJ has been lately...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:31 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Green cant be anymore of a negative than THJ has been lately...

Probably true. With Greens' defense and hustle I have a hard time seeing his impact being any worse even if he shoots like crap.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:31 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Green cant be anymore of a negative than THJ has been lately...

I dont think teams are leaving Hardaway open on purpose though.

A guarded THJ gives Luka and Brunson more room to operate.  I know you know this and I dont need to say it.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:36 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: A guarded THJ gives Luka and Brunson more room to operate. 

But in the last 15 games the offense is 9.0 pts WORSE with THJ playing in 385 mins and the D is 4.3 pts WORSE. A total team disaster of -13.3 when he has played. 

It is not THJ alone by any means as Luka and JR have been in the same neighborhood.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:25 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I have been calling for more Green minutes too...

Agree with this. 

We all like to see Green out there, and I hope he cracks the rotation next season. But he is not by any measure a replacement for Tim Hardaway. Until he develops some semblance of an offensive game, I would be surprised if we see him play many competitive minutes at all, unless the coaches' hands are forced by other significant absences. Carlisle even said considered Green in the mix because Richardson and Redick were out. 

This team isn't built to absorb players who don't contribute at all on the offensive end. It's just his first year. I hope he works on at least one offensive skill in the offseason.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 12:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But in the last 15 games the offense is 9.0 pts WORSE with THJ playing in 385 mins and the D is 4.3 pts WORSE. A total team disaster of -13.3 when he has played. 

It is not THJ alone by any means as Luka and JR have been in the same neighborhood.

I dont care about regular season 3rd gear stats...no offense, man.

I dont think teams are leaving THJ open in a playoff atmosphere.  Hot or Cold THJ.  This gives Wonder Boy room to exploit the paint easier.

Notice something...

One bad shooter turns the game into 4 vs 5 in the defense favor.

One good defender can defend only one other player on the other team but cant kill the team.  Its still 4 v 4 at this point.

One bad shooter can kill a team.

No doubt defense is important.   Consistent shooters keep the game honest.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 01:03 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I dont care about regular season 3rd gear stats...no offense, man.

I dont think teams are leaving THJ open in a playoff atmosphere.  Hot or Cold THJ.  This gives Wonder Boy room to exploit the paint easier.

Notice something...

One bad shooter turns the game into 4 vs 5 in the defense favor.

One good defender can defend only one other player on the other team but cant kill the team.  Its still 4 v 4 at this point.

One bad shooter can kill a team.

No doubt defense is important.   Consistent shooters keep the game honest.

Exactly why Mellimania died.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 01:03 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: No doubt defense is important.   Consistent shooters keep the game honest.
Very true.

2006 Finals, MIA blitzed Dirk because nobody else was making shots, so it was "don't let Dirk beat us". Refs helped of course.

2011 Finals, MIA couldn't blitz Dirk because JET, Kidd, Matrix, Peja, Stephenson, etc. made them pay. Even when Dirk was having an off night.
Like Reply
Another apology-wave incoming... dude singlehandedly won us the game against Detroit last night. Awesome stuff, probably the best game of his career. Career-high in scoring with 42... wow. I hope he stays this hot going into the playoffs (and then we cut him lose for something more reliable or keep him, but on a very friendly salary).
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 05:58 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Another apology-wave incoming
Why?
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 09:13 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Right and I don't want either of them on the Mavs at any price. THJ should go get himself an MLE deal somewhere as a shooter. My issue with him is that even though he has reinvented himself as a shooter is a career average 3 point shooter and that's not good enough. Mavs need someone in the "shooter" role that has a career of success outside.

I'd love to have him back, if he is fine with the leftover of our cap, after we napped our 1/2/3 target.

If we lose out on them I like him back even more.
Like Reply
I think this game will be a good reminder for folks who are bewildered when Tim Hardaway gets paid this offseason. Yes, he goes through slumps, but there are a relative handful of players in the league who can do what he does. Dude can score from anywhere on the court, and is capable of carrying a team on any given night. He's going to get his money, and it won't surprise me if the Mavericks are writing the check.
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 10:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Dude can score from anywhere on the court, and is capable of carrying a team on any given night. He's going to get his money, and it won't surprise me if the Mavericks are writing the check.
I don’t agree with the first sentence, but I do with the second. 

He can carry a team on any given night where the opponent sucks (and it’s not like he would every given night against such opponents either), sure, other than that he’s pretty hit and miss where when he’s miss, he does very little else for the team.

However, I believe the FO believes him to be another culture guy and will pay him as such. In the words of KL “BE PREPARED”.

JRich could very well be another of those types. We also know our FO will go out of their way to show everyone they believe they win trades through their doling out of contracts afterwards.
Like Reply