Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DFS (+13, 11 pts, 2 stl, 9 rbd)
0%
0 0%
KP (+15, 19 pts, 3 blk, 2 stl, 2 ast, 8 rbd)
18.18%
6 18.18%
Luka (-2, 36 pts, 5 ast, 8 rbd)
3.03%
1 3.03%
JB (-1, 21 pts, 1 stl, 3 ast, 5 rbd)
78.79%
26 78.79%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 46 DIRKIE: Winner JB (79%) | Runner-up KP (17%)
The Dirkie for Brunson.  I think Brunson will eventually be a top guard, but I'm also concerned with some atrocious games  he had not too long ago.  It looked like he might have been injured, was ill, or had simply checked out of the game for awhile.  But back to the Celtics game.  It's funny to say this, since the Mavs had such a big lead most of the game, but Brunson was the player that kept them in the game.  Without his play in the second half...the Mavs would have lost.
Like Reply
Brunson is up to 16th in PER among players listed as point guards. 

Brunson and Clarkson are the only non-starters in the top-20.

Boston's 4th quarter defense on Doncic was a preview of what the Mavs will see in the playoffs. Same as last year, teams will blitz Luka and force others to make plays. I had hoped JRich would provide an outlet, but it's clear, the second playmaker who is certain to be on the floor is Brunson. 

Outside of that I think you'll see JRich if defense is needed or THJ if he's hot; and we'll see DFS or Kleber depending on matchups and fouls.

Mavs will close games with:

Doncic
Brunson
JRich/THJ
DFS/Kleber
Porzingis
Like Reply
Hard to argue with that, v. I think you nailed it.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 10:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Mavs will close games with:

Doncic
Brunson
JRich/THJ
DFS/Kleber
Porzingis

Counterpoint, and hear me out, here...what about:

Doncic
Melli
Melli/Melli
Melli/Melli
Melli
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 10:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Mavs will close games with:

Doncic
Brunson
JRich/THJ
DFS/Kleber
Porzingis
That certainly wasn't the case last night for KP. Hopefully going forward we see that and coach has learned a lesson. Time will tell.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 10:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Brunson is up to 16th in PER among players listed as point guards. 

Boston's 4th quarter defense on Doncic was a preview of what the Mavs will see in the playoffs. Same as last year, teams will blitz Luka and force others to make plays. I had hoped JRich would provide an outlet, but it's clear, the second playmaker who is certain to be on the floor is Brunson. 

Outside of that I think you'll see JRich if defense is needed or THJ if he's hot; and we'll see DFS or Kleber depending on matchups and fouls.

Mavs will close games with:

Doncic
Brunson
JRich/THJ
DFS/Kleber
Porzingis

I agree with your line of thinking. Though I will say that blitz action only works if the Mavs run a stagnant offense where Luka is the sole initiator. Further having another elite offensive player punishes that blitz even more, which makes it even more puzzling not having KP out there. 

I have to imagine Carlisle will ramp up the offensive complexity/variation come playoff time. We've seen time and again the James Harden way doesn't work. Hopefully Carlisle doesn't fall in the same trap.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 11:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That certainly wasn't the case last night for KP.

Great point. I guess I could see Kleber on the floor in place of KP to close against certain teams, but looking at likely matchups in the West, I think KP is part of the finishing group 100 times out of 100. I don't think Celtics super-small gimmick is sustainable over a series anyway. BOS may win the battle -- KP clearly can't guard Marcus Smart -- but the Mavs would win the war in 6.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 10:37 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Brunson is up to 16th in PER among players listed as point guards. 

He's also a member of the .600 Club (TS%)...tied for 19th in the NBA.  Outside of the bigs on the list, you have Ingles, Joe Harris, MPjr, KD, Norman Powell, Mikal Bridges, Zach LaVine and Steph Curry ahead of Brunson.  What is even more impressive is Brunson creates about 74% of his own 2 point attempts (unassisted).

Other club members include WCS .644, Melli .643 (small sample size alert), Maxi .632 and Luka at .600 (OMG on that usage.  That is nuts).  Powell, .597, THJ .588 and KP .582 are close and all trending in that direction after rough numbers earlier in the season.  It must be fun to play O on the Mav's.  Redick is a career .602.  I'm hoping for some McDermott-like numbers here so that some team will need to pay above the MLE to get him this summer.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 03:39 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He's also a member of the .600 Club (TS%)...tied for 19th in the NBA.  Outside of the bigs on the list, you have Ingles, Joe Harris, MPjr, KD, Norman Powell, Mikal Bridges, Zach LaVine and Steph Curry ahead of Brunson.  What is even more impressive is Brunson creates about 74% of his own 2 point attempts (unassisted).

Other club members include WCS .644, Melli .643 (small sample size alert), Maxi .632 and Luka at .600 (OMG on that usage.  That is nuts).  Powell, .597, THJ .588 and KP .582 are close and all trending in that direction after rough numbers earlier in the season.  It must be fun to play O on the Mav's.  Redick is a career .602.  I'm hoping for some McDermott-like numbers here so that some team will need to pay above the MLE to get him this summer.

CTRL-F 'JRich' - no results found.

WCS breaks my brain with how often he appears as a statistical darling.
Like Reply
[Image: 6801202a29214df582d17c31add28a24.jpg]
Like Reply