Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt RAPTOR dogs & 1.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
85.71%
6 85.71%
Celtics
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 46: DAL (25-21) @ BOS (23-25) | 113-108 win
Good job in the end. A bit of meltdown in the fourth but squeezed the win. Excellent defense for most of the game. Any idea why KP didn't play in the fourth? Minutes restriction?
Like Reply
Mavs really went out of their way to make a road win against a playoff team a completely unenjoyable watching experience tonight.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:07 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Mavs really went out of their way to make a road win against a playoff team a completely unenjoyable watching experience tonight.

? It was an excellent game. Instead of a blowout Mavs opted for a tight finish to actually make it a more interesting viewing experience. And to practice clutch time Smile
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:07 PM)omahen Wrote: Good job in the end. A bit of meltdown in the fourth but squeezed the win. Excellent defense for most of the game. Any idea why KP didn't play in the fourth? Minutes restriction?
I woke up for whatever reason at 3:30, tuned in late in the 3rd to not see him until the 4 minute mark. I thought he fouled out.

Probably just Carlisle being Carlisle lol.
Like Reply
Really fun first three quarters....the fourth quarter...not so much.  Just terrible execution down the stretch.  It seemed like they never got within 28 feet of the basket down the stretch.  Luckily Luka bailed them out with a late three and a getting fouled on a three.  Without those, we may have lost.   Also poor turnovers.  Luka had some careless turnovers.   8 turnovers for Luka.   Luckily Boston couldn't hit a three tonight.   And luckily Tatum seemed fine settling for threes most of the night.  

The ball just stops moving when close at the end of games.   Need to find a way to not just let Luka hold it and hope he makes a play.

But a win is a win....for most of the night they looked close to elite.  Way to take care of business...albeit with a shaky ending.
Like Reply
Carlisle owes me a bottle of heart pills.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:07 PM)omahen Wrote: Good job in the end. A bit of meltdown in the fourth but squeezed the win. Excellent defense for most of the game. Any idea why KP didn't play in the fourth? Minutes restriction?

Yeah, it was weird .. he was out most of the 4th quarter .. subbed in with 4 minutes left and then subbed back out with 2 minutes left.     He led the team was +15 on the night, so it wasn't like he was getting lit up on defense.    Celtics made their big run by going small without a center, and I think Carlisle was flailing a little bit figuring out how to counter.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The ball just stops moving when close at the end of games.   Need to find a way to not just let Luka hold it and hope he makes a play.

I dont care what the offensive rating is.  This team desperately needs another guy that can break down opposing defenses.  We had to rely on Trey Burke to play that role against the Clippers in the bubble.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1377...37889?s=21

https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...09025?s=21
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:25 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1377...37889?s=21

That is just strange. Without KP Mavs defense literally fell apart. I think they could leave with a couple of more three pointers from Celtics. On the other hand of the floor they could perhaps do something else but throw a 35 foot three pointer. Perhaps force them to bring someone bigger in, because you dominate on offense.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:07 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Mavs really went out of their way to make a road win against a playoff team a completely unenjoyable watching experience tonight.

Yeah, that sick feeling in my gut just got worse and worse as Rick tried to piss the game away with KP on the bench in the fourth.
Like Reply
RC reacts to the small lineup instead of attacking it.  Even so, JB and Luka were just enough.
Like Reply
Rick tried to lose that game.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:28 PM)omahen Wrote: That is just strange. Without KP Mavs defense literally fell apart. I think they could leave with a couple of more three pointers from Celtics. On the other hand of the floor they could perhaps do something else but throw a 35 foot three pointer. Perhaps force them to bring someone bigger in, because you dominate on offense.

Clearly, Stevens found something tonight for which the Mavs didn’t have a good plan. Silver lining: now they know, so maybe the next time someone goes that small they will be more prepared. I feel like Melli could’ve helped a bit, maybe.

4th quarter was pretty damn hard to watch though.
Like Reply
Also, JRich can't be handling the ball and initiating the offense under pressure in tight game situations.  It has to be JB and/or Luka.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Clearly, Stevens found something tonight for which the Mavs didn’t have a good plan. Silver lining: now they know, so maybe the next time someone goes that small they will be more prepared. I feel like Melli could’ve helped a bit, maybe.

4th quarter was pretty damn hard to watch though.

Refs weren't calling a ton on the perimeter and Boston has the athletes to take away a ball handler's airspace.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:35 PM)mtrot Wrote: Also, JRich can't be handling the ball and initiating the offense under pressure in tight game situations.  It has to be JB and/or Luka.

Totally agree with this take.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:25 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1377...37889?s=21

Way to play like you are up 20 and set the tone, Rick.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:28 PM)omahen Wrote: That is just strange. Without KP Mavs defense literally fell apart. I think they could leave with a couple of more three pointers from Celtics. On the other hand of the floor they could perhaps do something else but throw a 35 foot three pointer. Perhaps force them to bring someone bigger in, because you dominate on offense.
I didn’t watch the first three quarters, but judging by the numbers KP really had a positive impact (+15) while the rest of the starters were all over the place. 

When he came in in the 4th he immediately got a block, too and won us the defensive possession.

The big dropoff happened with KP on the bench. Looks like a questionable-at-best coaching decision.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 09:35 PM)cow Wrote: Refs weren't calling a ton on the perimeter and Boston has the athletes to take away a ball handlers defense.

Yeah, I constantly oscillate back-and-forth between “the Mavs desperately need more playmaking“ and “Luka needs to give up the ball earlier when he gets trapped.”

I think both are true to an extent, and maybe the biggest issue is that the team in general just hasn’t had quite enough experience dealing with that type of pressure. They sure did not look super prepared to deal with it tonight. If Luka keeps playing like this they are going to see a crap ton of that in the playoffs, so they need to work on it. Having Brunson on the floor isn’t enough if he and Luka don’t know how to work together in those situations.

(03-31-2021, 09:38 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I didn’t watch the first three quarters, but judging by the numbers KP really had a positive impact (+15) while the rest of the starters were all over the place. 

He was great - truly outstanding, especially on defense. That’s probably why Stevens decided to get weird with it in the second half. I agree that what Carlisle tried as a counter blew up in his face. Hopefully, there will be a better plan next time.
Like Reply