Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Josh’s D
(04-21-2021, 02:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But that IS the truth...THJ has been GOOD on O this year and BAD on D (especially recently). His O impact has slipped as well as of late. 

The stats tell you that even if you don't watch. But watching is VERY helpful to understanding full context.

So if I like THJ, I present you the offensive stats and omit the defensive stats.  Let's resign him!

And if I dislike THJ, I present you the defensive stats and omit the offensive stats.  Let's let him walk!

If I watch his games, I know the truth lies somewhere between those extremes.  I can then go look at data to backup what my eyes are telling me.

I've seen people be critical wanting to chase THT in the offseason who obviously haven't watched him play a lick of basketball and just lazily spew out stats.  Stats aren't the end-all be-all and can be detrimental if you don't watch.  We have two examples of that on our own team with Boban and WCS.  If you look at certain stats for them and never watch them play, you'd be hard pressed to understand why they don't get playing time and rack up so many DNPs.

I love data.  I hate what the basketball community has done with data.
Like Reply
Just like when I see Maxi get torched on defense and instead of a hard foul he pushes the player who gets an shot and free throw...when a rebound is available I see him ball watching and not having a clue what to do...

But stats let Maxi get a pass and he is a fan favorite who does no wrong...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 07:06 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Just like when I see Maxi get torched on defense and instead of a hard foul he pushes the player who gets an shot and free throw...when a rebound is available I see him ball watching and not having a clue what to do...

He's not getting a pass from me. He has been pretty damn bad, lately.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 09:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's not getting a pass from me. He has been pretty damn bad, lately.

Yeah actually the stats DON'T give Maxi a pass....he is -3.1 over the last 15 games, -4.0 on D. 

But whatever, let's trash the stats.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 07:06 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Just like when I see Maxi get torched on defense and instead of a hard foul he pushes the player who gets an shot and free throw...when a rebound is available I see him ball watching and not having a clue what to do...

Never thought that Clutch would start to hate a Mavs player but his anti Maxi agenda is getting more and more obvious...

Seriously: We tend to forget that both had COVID or just ignore it because most players only miss a couple of games without any health issues. Not sure if that is the case for both mentioned guys. They had symptoms.
That´s why I am not as hard on them as others. We don´t know anything about potential longterm issues. Multiple pro athlets around different sports are suffering from fatigue and/or reduced lung capacity. Wouldn´t be suprised if some NBA players (including JRich and Maxi) have similar problems.
Like Reply
My favorite stat: deflections per game

1. FVV
2. Covington 
3. Simmons
4. Butler
5. Nance Jr
6. TJ Mcconnell
7. Jrue
8. Drummond
9. Thybulle
10. OG
11. Smart 

Also total 2pt shots contested

1. B Lopez
2. Gobert
3. Poeltl
4. Ayton
5. Turner 

Give me as many of those guys as we can get. Pure effort
Like Reply
I started my anti Maxi campaign after seeing KP blamed for what Maxi had not done on defense especially one game in particular...then you add on the fact that Maxi was being touted as one of the very few players to keep while having to read all the KP bashing and how he needed to be gone...

I figured if someone needed to be unfairly blamed it should be the one who was being called a keeper even though they were playing like trash...

Finally wasn't Powell and KP not given a pass from returning early from injuries but now Maxi gets one from having Covid...what about Richardson?...he certainly did not get that excuse...
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 09:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's not getting a pass from me. He has been pretty damn bad, lately.

A post of yours was the final straw but not the only post that blamed KP for Maxi's short comings...
Like Reply
(04-22-2021, 01:44 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Finally wasn't Powell and KP not given a pass from returning early from injuries but now Maxi gets one from having Covid...what about Richardson?...he certainly did not get that excuse...

Let me say it like this. We have more data to make an predicition about the longterm impact of an achilles injury and I don´t think any of us blamed Powell because he wasn´t playing like his pre injury self. It was more about the lack of action from the MBT. Knowing that Powell is coming back from an career altering injury and with KP out in the first few weeks. No real effort to find another legit rotation big in free agency.
KP is a slightly different story. Not like we did not mention the fact that he needed time to get back into rhythm but we aren´t talking about MLE money. We are talking about an injury-prone max player. Right now we are probably looking at another offseason surgery. That´s not encouraging. Even if it potentially explains his mediocre performances. Not to mention that even his healthy self isn´t the best fitting piece in the current Mavs system. On and off the court.

Just think that a once in a life time pandemic cannot be compared to the average NBA injury. We simply don´t know enough.
Like Reply
Let me try again since my mental condition causes me to not convey my thoughts properly...

I went on my anti Maxi due to the fact that after a certain game KP was flamed for a player who was feasting that night but was pointed out by another that the player was actually being guarded by Maxi...after that I decided since I was also seeing the same thing that was confirmed I watched Maxi like a hawk...I saw a person who only camped at the 3 point line shooting wide opens shots only...no other contributions on offense...and as for defense Maxi was committing very soft fouls while the opposing player was getting and1s...then you add to that fact he also was ball watching when rebounds were available and not getting hardly any of the chances...that is the reason for me calling out Maxi...and yes during that time Maxi was having stats being posted that made him seem to not be the issue...

As for the Covid I never meant to compared Maxi to KP...I said if Maxi gets a Covid pass so should Richardson who gets zero passes...I read early this season many posts saying injury, covid, and no training camp should not be used as an excuse for the team play and record.the first couple of weeks...

I was calling Maxi the weak link and at least Carlisle reads my posts and took action last night...  Big Grin
Like Reply
My eyes and the stats tell me that another opposing ball handling starting guard had the best offensive game of his season against the Mavs last night.
Like Reply
(04-22-2021, 07:50 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: My eyes and the stats tell me that another opposing ball handling starting guard had the best offensive game of his season against the Mavs last night.

It was Luka who started on Joseph and Brunson had most minutes guarding him Smile
Like Reply
The Mavs usage of J Rich is still confusing to me. I would have thought if Joseph is having a big night you would put J Rich on him to slow him down.
Like Reply
Yeah, so either Josh's defense is not that great or the Mavs purposely don't utilize his great defense for whatever reason... either way, it's not a player I would spent a lot of resources on resigning.
Like Reply
(04-22-2021, 01:46 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: A post of yours was the final straw but not the only post that blamed KP for Maxi's short comings...

Kleber has shortcomings, it's just that they're aren't as expensive as KP's shortcomings.
Like Reply
J Rich with elite D tonight. Not sure why he didn’t guard Schroeder all night. Real recognize real
Like Reply
(04-22-2021, 11:30 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: J Rich with elite D tonight. Not sure why he didn’t guard Schroeder all night. Real recognize real

Schroder said something to J Rich last night that seemed to fire J Rich up
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 09:03 AM)MFFL Wrote: Schroder said something to J Rich last night that seemed to fire J Rich up

I would think trash talk and big egos would be status quo table stakes in the NBA, but Shroder certainly seems to get under a lot of people's skin.   He must be like the Usain Bolt generational talent of trash talkers.
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 10:06 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I would think trash talk and big egos would be status quo table stakes in the NBA, but Shroder certainly seems to get under a lot of people's skin.   He must be like the Usain Bolt generational talent of trash talkers

There's something about Schroder in particular that other players just don't like. There have been whispers about it since he was drafted, and try as I have, I can't get anyone to tell me what it is. It's not just the Mavs' take on him, either. At the trade deadline, Bill Simmons said something like "the Lakers are already so sick of Schroder's act that they're trying to dump him." In context, it sounded to me like the entire league knows something bad about him (maybe he's just a jerk in the locker room, idk) but I've never heard anyone come out and say it. It's really interesting to me, because he's a good player on the court.
Like Reply
(04-23-2021, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: There's something about Schroder in particular that other players just don't like. There have been whispers about it since he was drafted, and try as I have, I can't get anyone to tell me what it is. It's not just the Mavs' take on him, either. At the trade deadline, Bill Simmons said something like "the Lakers are already so sick of Schroder's act that they're trying to dump him." In context, it sounded to me like the entire league knows something bad about him (maybe he's just a jerk in the locker room, idk) but I've never heard anyone come out and say it. It's really interesting to me, because he's a good player on the court.
Probably doesn't reserve his trash talking to just the other team's players. Attack everyone! The Ron Artest (or I guess I should say MettaWorldPeace) of today.
Like Reply