Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
7 100.00%
Blazers
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss
I don't get why KP can't just run inside the paint when there's so much space and no one who can guard him. He could literally run in there catch the ball and get an easy shot. For whatever reason this doesn't happen very often.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 04:40 PM)omahen Wrote: I think you are way overexaggerating. KP had a bad game. It happens to everyone, no big deal. Those three shots in the third were literally the only ok thing he did on offense whole night and there is really not anyone to blame for that but himself. He followed that by 2 failed attempts (offensive fouls) and another 2 missed shots in the fourth. 

But, he is clearly 2nd man on the team, taking second most shots on vast majority of nights and they are involving him nicely. Luka averages 21 shots per game with 55 % EFG. KP has 15 shots with same EFG. Tim has 13 shots with 56 % EFG, than JRich with less than 11 shots and 51 % EFG. Rest are below ten shots per game. So imho there is absolutely no need to draw conclusions from that one bad game. Not even to mention how non KP/JRich players were extremely on fire as defense was focusing on KP. The way we like Luka when he adapts when defense is focusing on him and distribute even more while scoring less points (happened couple of times this season), there will be games where KP will be in shadow of other players who will have a hot night. Nothing wrong with that. 

Game against Portland was lost on defense, not offense.

I just don´t see how he can be the "2nd option" in the current system. Yes he is taking the 2nd most shots but he is not creating them. Assisted on 72.9% of his 2s. 96.4% of his 3s. Also not creating for others. 1.2 assists/2.4 potential assists. Two guys on the roster have similar numbers. DFS and Green. He is a high end finisher (catch and shoot or paint touches) not a shot creator or playmaker. 

As of now he isn´t good enough in the post or in iso situations to justify a different approach and it´s not like a high end finisher has no value but the Mavs need a more reliable playmaker. Brunson is good but against long and athletic defenders (Clippers) he has a hard time. THJ is a streaky scorer and ideally more of a catch and shoot guy. Same for Richardson. Nice midrange game but not good enough to be a legit secondary ballhandler.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 04:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I just don´t see how he can be the "2nd option" in the current system. Yes he is taking the 2nd most shots but he is not creating them. Assisted on 72.9% of his 2s. 96.4% of his 3s. Also not creating for others. 1.2 assists/2.4 potential assists. Two guys on the roster have similar numbers. DFS and Green. He is a high end finisher (catch and shoot or paint touches) not a shot creator or playmaker. 

As of now he isn´t good enough in the post or in iso situations to justify a different approach and it´s not like a high end finisher has no value but the Mavs need a more reliable playmaker. Brunson is good but against long and athletic defenders (Clippers) he has a hard time. THJ is a streaky scorer and ideally more of a catch and shoot guy. Same for Richardson. Nice midrange game but not good enough to be a legit secondary ballhandler.

Your comment doesn't really refer to my point but I totally agree Mavs need another creator. I am beating that drum whole season long.
Like Reply