Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
7 100.00%
Blazers
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss
Well...the game wasn't helped at all by trying to force feed KP late in the game.  He was frustrated and having a bad night.  If the coach wants to get KP involved in the game it should be early...and in the flow of the game...not late in the fourth quarter when the frustration and a bad night results in empty possessions and turnovers.  We'll see what happens next.
Like Reply
Post play is not just about strength anymore. The NBA took that away in the late Shaq years itself. It is more about handles in a small circle. KP lacks that though I would still feed him a certain number of times in the low post and hope he gets better. The real issue is not KP getting force fed the ball. It is that Luka for all his greatness is still young. We had the same problem against good teams last year too. We just couldn’t finish many games because of the offense going stagnant.  

The other glaring issue is we have two very good guys offensively but the coaching staff has still not managed to find a two man game that works. With KP’s ability to shoot you would think they would prioritize a two man PnR even if KP’s awareness at setting picks and moving is also a bit weak. Won’t doing it over and over help him?  He is not dumb. Dirk was a poor passer out of double teams. He improved over the years.
Like Reply
Luka played 43 minutes against the Clippers and 39 minutes (including the last 16) against the Blazers. Incredible carry job in the last couple of games but even if he continues to dominate it´s not a longterm solution. The minutes/load are impacting his late game performance. For comparisation. Lillard 34 minutes. McCollum 28 minutes. Blazers have two reliable shot creators and can stagger the minutes. Mavs have Brunson and THJ but both aren´t legit 2nd or 3rd options. KP is a good scorer but he is not a ballhandler and simply isn´t good enough in iso or post up situations. Assisted on 73% of his 2s. 96.4% of his 3s.

Needs remain the same. Backup big or a big forward (don´t think Powell or WCS would be in the rotation on any other playoff team). Reliable playmaker that can run the team when Luka is on the bench.
Like Reply
I don't know that we can put this on any one player.  The offense just died.  At 7:28 we had a six point lead.  Over the next 7:15 we had Maxi miss three 3's, KP missed two shots.  JRich missed two shots.  Luka had two TO's and missed three shots.  It was ugly.

I found the contrast of the last three games interesting.  LAC plays with force defensively late in the game.  They can aggressively put a bigger defender on Luka and make his life miserable (but, he managed to be a superstar in Wednesday's game and overcame).  Portland comes at you with force offensively.  Lillard and McCollum seemed to hit every late game shot they took.  You can't afford a miss late in the game against them (let alone 10 misses and two TO's).  What I find noteworthy is we don't bring "force" offensively or defensively...at least not against the better teams.

Kanter and Melo did their best work when Lillard sat.  We didn't have an answer for either of them (WCS and DFS might have helped here).  Portland was actually net positive when Lillard sat.  We were negative when Luka sat.  They got 34 from their bench.  We got 25 mainly because Burke had a good run.  It was there for the taking and then suddenly it was gone.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 10:14 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Post play is not just about strength anymore. The NBA took that away in the late Shaq years itself. It is more about handles in a small circle. KP lacks that though I would still feed him a certain number of times in the low post and hope he gets better. The real issue is not KP getting force fed the ball. It is that Luka for all his greatness is still young. We had the same problem against good teams last year too. We just couldn’t finish many games because of the offense going stagnant.  

The other glaring issue is we have two very good guys offensively but the coaching staff has still not managed to find a two man game that works. With KP’s ability to shoot you would think they would prioritize a two man PnR even if KP’s awareness at setting picks and moving is also a bit weak. Won’t doing it over and over help him?  He is not dumb. Dirk was a poor passer out of double teams. He improved over the years.

And you blame Luka for that. The way he looked off two defenders with a fake pass to Powell and swung it to a wide open THJ in the corner was legendary. Of course THJ missed it. Porzingis and Richardson barely drawing the front iron on their pathetic post-up attempts. That is on Luka? The problem is still the same. Nobody else on this team can create for others, Brunson/THJ can for themselves. That is why it is completely useless to go for a Gordon or Collins type. We need another elite creator/scorer like a DeRozan. Nobody plays defence anymore until the last minutes of a game and that's when we get exposed as one-dimensional.? I trust Kanter more than Porzingis to create for himself, but I'm sure the advanced analytics say that even Powell is a better basketball player Enes. If we had Lavine or Randle we would be a legit contender, but Mavs were too busy playing with their moneyball models rather than watch basketball games. Luka is more than ready. You pretty much nailed our problems otherwise. Porzingis is not a reliable #2.
Like Reply
(03-19-2021, 11:36 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We shot 54/45/92. Offense was not the problem. We need a 3rd big that can rebound at an elite level. Team rebounding has been great lately, but we need that guy who can come in when the game slows down during stretches and collect the rebound. Too many times there’s a Jones jr type player that gets the board when there’s 3 boys in blue standing around them that just cannot collect the board

I legit don't understand anyone that thinks rebounding is anywhere close to as important as well rounded defensive or offensive play. Elite rebounding in a vacuum does not really directly correlate to being a super successful basketball team. The importance of rebounding is super overrated, and it's importance has dropped year after year because positions don't really matter anymore and having multiple solid rebounders at each position is FAR superior to having that old school one rebounding big who can pull down huge rebounding numbers. You simply don't need it. Especially if that rebounder is going to be a liability for your team in other areas like defending (anyone that can't defend well inside and out is a liability), or not be able to space the floor offensively. Oh yeah, and we already have one of the best rebounding bigs per minute in Boban. But he doesn't play because he has deficiencies that detract from the teams performance because his elite rebounding just isn't that important.

This team is not a good defensive team. That's the teams biggest issue. A third big that can rebound to an elite level is miles behind improving the team with high level perimeter defence in terms of team needs.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 10:47 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: And you blame Luka for that. The way he looked off two defenders with a fake pass to Powell and swung it to a wide open THJ in the corner was legendary. Of course THJ missed it. Porzingis and Richardson barely drawing the front iron on their pathetic post-up attempts. That is on Luka? The problem is still the same. Nobody else on this team can create for others, Brunson/THJ can for themselves. That is why it is completely useless to go for a Gordon or Collins type. We need another elite creator/scorer like a DeRozan. Nobody plays defence anymore until the last minutes of a game and that's when we get exposed as one-dimensional.? I trust Kanter more than Porzingis to create for himself, but I'm sure the advanced analytics say that even Powell is a better basketball player Enes. If we had Lavine or Randle we would be a legit contender, but Mavs were too busy playing with their moneyball models rather than watch basketball games. Luka is more than ready. You pretty much nailed our problems otherwise. Porzingis is not a reliable #2.

I blamed the coaching staff for not integrating a 2man game that utilizes your two best players. Not Luka

For the offense going stagnant I said Luka is young in that RC has already given him the play calling duties. Live by the 3 and die by the 3 is not a cliche. We had the same issue last year even with Seth in here. There is no real movement off the ball. It is not Luka’s fault that he is asked to be the best player and be an offensive coach too.  He is being asked to improvise all the time. 

The key IMO is getting your best players to play off one another. That is on the coaching staff. I don’t see even in games that we win where there is an attempt to consistently do that. Once you do that and establish that other things will take care of itself.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 10:57 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I legit don't understand anyone that thinks rebounding is anywhere close to as important as well rounded defensive or offensive play. Elite rebounding in a vacuum does not really directly correlate to being a super successful basketball team. The importance of rebounding is super overrated, and it's importance has dropped year after year because positions don't really matter anymore and having multiple solid rebounders at each position is FAR superior to having that old school one rebounding big who can pull down huge rebounding numbers. You simply don't need it. Especially if that rebounder is going to be a liability for your team in other areas like defending (anyone that can't defend well inside and out is a liability), or not be able to space the floor offensively. Oh yeah, and we already have one of the best rebounding bigs per minute in Boban. But he doesn't play because he has deficiencies that detract from the teams performance because his elite rebounding just isn't that important.

This team is not a good defensive team. That's the teams biggest issue. A third big that can rebound to an elite level is miles behind improving the team with high level perimeter defence in terms of team needs.

Portland had 12 extra shot attempts yesterday, which is huge. Having to constantly gang rebound takes a lot out of your transition offense as well. But for a team that's as poor defensively as Dallas, getting an eventual defensive board helps out your overall defense and that's just 101. The board is the punctuation at the end of your defensive sentence.
Like Reply
I do wonder if DFS' defense and rebounding was missed late last night. I wouldn't mind THJ starting but when you have CJ and Dame out there it would have been nice to close with DFS alongside J Rich. Rich was gassed there late.

I really like Iwundu's minutes. He was very solid. His defense is tough.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 12:26 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I do wonder if DFS' defense and rebounding was missed late last night.

It definitely was. One win with him out of the lineup, and all these resctionsists are claiming he's garbage. He is not. He's one of the more important players on this team, imo.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 10:57 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I blamed the coaching staff for not integrating a 2man game that utilizes your two best players.

This is a coaching or a KP problem. Luka has had GREAT two man games with different guys, if cannot achieve it with KP then it is either the coaching choosing not to do it or KP either not wanting to or not being able to.

I still think one of RC or KP needs to go.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 01:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is a coaching or a KP problem. Luka has had GREAT two man games with different guys, if cannot achieve it with KP then it is either the coaching choosing not to do it or KP either not wanting to or not being able to.

Here is what I think it is.  Luka plays the game like it's Luka and everyone else.  What I mean is, that it's Luka, obviously way better (don't mean that arrogant on his part) and then there's everyone else...like it's two levels of players.  Luka level...then everyone else are interchangeable widgets.  If Maxi is open, I'll throw it to Maxi.  If KP is open, I'll throw it to KP...whoever is open.  My problem is that they are not interchangeable. KP is a better player.

You are even leaning that way here with the way you phrased your post, maybe subconsciously.  

I don't care what kind of TWO MAN game Luka has had with WHOEVER...for this team to win and be it's best, KP has to be involved offensively.  KP standing in the corner for 8 MINUTES to close the game is absolute nonsense...seriously.  KP played HORRIBLE in the first half.  He starts the second half, goes 3-3 in the third, gets a couple of fouls, then doesn't get another shot for over a quarter's worth of gameplay?  That's not going to work well at all, espeically with a big man who needs to touch the ball to get it all working.  There are LOTS of players who have to get it going...every other post game show some analyst talks about how Team Y has got to get "Player X" going early if they are going to win..."got to get him touches because they can't without him"..."got to find a way".  They do that with QBs in football...he's off, you get him some easy throws to get him back on.

JRich/Luka OR Maxi/Luka are going to get you nothing but send home in the playoffs.  KP is NOT Shaq, but he is one of our top two players, and the Lakers NEVER won running Shaq in the corner for the last 8 minutes of the game, guarded by the 3rd or 4th best defensive player on the other team and running the two man game with Kobe and Fisher.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 01:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is a coaching or a KP problem. Luka has had GREAT two man games with different guys, if cannot achieve it with KP then it is either the coaching choosing not to do it or KP either not wanting to or not being able to.

It is a KP problem if the coach goes to the well often and it is not working out. Luka had a great 2 man game with who exactly? Powell when he was healthy? But Powell was limited. If Luka really had a great 2 man game why did we struggle last year also in the clutch against top tier teams? 

This is not to blame Luka as much to state that 2 man games take time. It does not come immediately. KP can roll and hit the mid range. So can Luka. They are suited for that game. Other things such as feel also comes when they do that time and again.

As Bama says right now the offense is mainly for Luka to decide what he wants with the ball. As great as he is he will be better at certain decisions at 25 than at 22. Until then the coaching staff has to call these plays.KP is just too talented to waste as the tallest shooting guard when this team struggles in the clutch time and again to generate easier baskets.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 02:30 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Here is what I think it is.  Luka plays the game like it's Luka and everyone else.  What I mean is, that it's Luka, obviously way better (don't mean that arrogant on his part) and then there's everyone else...like it's two levels of players.  Luka level...then everyone else are interchangeable widgets.  If Maxi is open, I'll throw it to Maxi.  If KP is open, I'll throw it to KP...whoever is open.  My problem is that they are not interchangeable. KP is a better player.

I agree with this to an extent....BUT I also know that Luka preferred DP last year and would constantly call on a DP pick and roll as his favorite play. Its almost like Luka doesn't see KP as a good enough pick and roll partner or as if KP has a limit on the number of pick and rolls he can be part of from the medical staff. Or RC prefers using KP to space the floor for other pick and roll action. 

I think Luka doesn't look for KP more either because...

1) he really doesn't think KP is good enough 

OR 

2)because they have a personal beef

OR

3) KP doesn't want to be in pick and rolls

OR

4) the coaching or medical staff is somehow discouraging it.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 02:30 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: KP is NOT Shaq, but he is one of our top two players, and the Lakers NEVER won running Shaq in the corner for the last 8 minutes of the game, guarded by the 3rd or 4th best defensive player on the other team and running the two man game with Kobe and Fisher.

I agree with this, and I think you'll find that most people do. 

Having said that, you might be making some dangerous assumptions as to WHY this is happening. None of us know for sure, but I hope your thinking allows for the possibility that Porzingis himself is at least partially responsible for this issue, and maybe more than partially. 

He doesn't set great screens, for one thing. Personally, I feel like Luka and the coach have both made an effort over the past month to get him more involved and playing better. We've seen more post ups from him during that time than we saw all of last season. That's the way it feels, at least. The thing is, at SOME POINT in the game, the offense needs to go back to what is TRULY dominant for the team - Luka, with the ball in his hands, running spread pick and roll. 

To my thinking, it's kind of up to Porzingis to recognize that this is what the team is built around and figure out how to flourish within that action. It's kind of up to Luka who's involved in the initial action, not Carlisle, because it's based on matchups, thinking of switches ahead of time. In theory, KP standing in the corner (should Luka not opt to include him) compelling his defender to remain near the three point line DOES give the team an advantage. However, defenses are really smart, and relocating effectively is the natural next step with that play style. Talented as he is, I don't know that Porzingis has become proficient with that skill the way Kleber, THJ and DFS have. I DO trust him to finish the play by shooting as much or more than any of those guys, but that's just not the only step that matters. 

To me, it's as if KP wants the team to be built (offensively) around HIM, and not Luka. I don't see how that could possibly make sense to anyone besides him. HE needs to lean into the idea that his way forward is playing off of Luka, imo. Must be tough to wrap his head around though, considering we're talking about someone less mature than he.

(03-20-2021, 02:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I agree with this to an extent....BUT I also know that Luka preferred DP last year and would constantly call on a DP pick and roll as his favorite play. Its almost like Luka doesn't see KP as a good enough pick and roll partner or as if KP has a limit on the number of pick and rolls he can be part of from the medical staff. Or RC prefers using KP to space the floor for other pick and roll action. 

I think Luka doesn't look for KP more either because...

1) he really doesn't think KP is good enough 

OR 

2)because they have a personal beef

OR

3) KP doesn't want to be in pick and rolls

OR

4) the coaching or medical staff is somehow discouraging it.

I agree with every word of this post, and I'd add that of the options you present, #4 seems far and away the least likely. You think Cuban isn't kicking Carlisle's door in after every loss with "why isn't KP more involved? We're paying him a TON of money!"???
Like Reply
So Blazers have 2 max guys that can actually get buckets, went aggressive for RoCo, have Nurkic who is perpetually injured but they still win, Collins who is perpetually injured as well, DJJ who seems overpaid but useful, Melo on vet min who can get a bucket, Gary Trent Jr who is a good young player, Rodney Hood who is good but injury prone and Kanter who is a very useful player that they spent for the room exception.

It amazes me that the Mavs used a similar BAE on Boban who doesn't play.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 10:57 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I legit don't understand anyone that thinks rebounding is anywhere close to as important as well rounded defensive or offensive play. Elite rebounding in a vacuum does not really directly correlate to being a super successful basketball team. The importance of rebounding is super overrated, and it's importance has dropped year after year because positions don't really matter anymore and having multiple solid rebounders at each position is FAR superior to having that old school one rebounding big who can pull down huge rebounding numbers. You simply don't need it. Especially if that rebounder is going to be a liability for your team in other areas like defending (anyone that can't defend well inside and out is a liability), or not be able to space the floor offensively. Oh yeah, and we already have one of the best rebounding bigs per minute in Boban. But he doesn't play because he has deficiencies that detract from the teams performance because his elite rebounding just isn't that important.

While I agree that rebounding is slightly overrated, it’s still important and the Mavs give up too many offensive rebounds to get to the all important 6th seed.  They need to bring in some help. Not a specialist, but a guy who is a plus rebounder as part of other meaningful skills.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 03:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: It amazes me that the Mavs used a similar BAE on Boban who doesn't play.

At this point it probably shouldn't.  The MBT is inept.  I saw an interview with Cuban saying the Mavs previous free agency struggles have been that they've never had cap space.  Revisionist history at its' finest.
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 02:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this, and I think you'll find that most people do. 

Having said that, you might be making some dangerous assumptions as to WHY this is happening. None of us know for sure, but I hope your thinking allows for the possibility that Porzingis himself is at least partially responsible for this issue, and maybe more than partially. 

He doesn't set great screens, for one thing. Personally, I feel like Luka and the coach have both made an effort over the past month to get him more involved and playing better. We've seen more post ups from him during that time than we saw all of last season. That's the way it feels, at least. The thing is, at SOME POINT in the game, the offense needs to go back to what is TRULY dominant for the team - Luka, with the ball in his hands, running spread pick and roll. 

To my thinking, it's kind of up to Porzingis to recognize that this is what the team is built around and figure out how to flourish within that action. It's kind of up to Luka who's involved in the initial action, not Carlisle, because it's based on matchups, thinking of switches ahead of time. In theory, KP standing in the corner (should Luka not opt to include him) compelling his defender to remain near the three point line DOES give the team an advantage. However, defenses are really smart, and relocating effectively is the natural next step with that play style. Talented as he is, I don't know that Porzingis has become proficient with that skill the way Kleber, THJ and DFS have. I DO trust him to finish the play by shooting as much or more than any of those guys, but that's just not the only step that matters. 

To me, it's as if KP wants the team to be built (offensively) around HIM, and not Luka. I don't see how that could possibly make sense to anyone besides him. HE needs to lean into the idea that his way forward is playing off of Luka, imo. Must be tough to wrap his head around though, considering we're talking about someone less mature than he.

I dont think KP thinks the team should be built only, or primarily around him, but it should be built more around him than everyone else except Luka. AND he absolutely right IF he's thinks that when the game is on the line, he shouldn't be sitting in the corner trying to create space for Maxi and Jrich to operate for the last 8 minutes of the game.

KP doesnt usually set screens.  By choice or by coaching he slips every one of them, gets a mismatch just about every time.

Moving Rodney Hood over doesn't really fix a thing.  He sucks as a defender and if you watch the game, the defneder by the end wasn't moving over.  For Pete's sake, KP stood at the three point line BY HIMSELF with no one within 12 feet of him, as JRich took on two guys for a layup and that stuff happens ALL...the...time.

If I was KP, I'd be pissed.

Look, if you guys think that KP should just be one of the other guys on this team (which even though you post otherwise, you come right back around to kind of), then trade him for Rpbert Covington and lets just be Houston of the last four years.  I just don't think that will work.

Why didn't CP and RW work with JH in Houston?  Because JH wanted to be James and the boys, and nit JH and CP and the boys or JH and RW and the boys....when he figured it out finally, after they all left or were shown the door, he went to Brooklyn and he's doing much better there,  i dont think they will win, nor do I think that KP is KD, but its not all on the BIG man, who has to be delivered the ball...just like every other big man in the world...including Dirk, to figure out how to get himself the ball.  That's on the play style, the coach and the PG.

If Luka wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one. 
If Brunson wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one.
If JRich wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one.

If Maxi gets a shot, it's usually off the offensive action, he doesn't take it off the dribble.
If KP wants a shot, they've got to run action for him to get the ball to take it.

It just is what is.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(03-20-2021, 04:26 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I dont think KP thinks the team should be only around him, but it should be built more around him than everyone else except Luka. AND he absolutely right IF he's thinks that when the gamw is on the line, he shouldn't be sitting in the corner trying to create space for Maxi and Jrich to operate for the last 8 minutes of the game.

I think you are way overexaggerating. KP had a bad game. It happens to everyone, no big deal. Those three shots in the third were literally the only ok thing he did on offense whole night and there is really not anyone to blame for that but himself. He followed that by 2 failed attempts (offensive fouls) and another 2 missed shots in the fourth. 

But, he is clearly 2nd man on the team, taking second most shots on vast majority of nights and they are involving him nicely. Luka averages 21 shots per game with 55 % EFG. KP has 15 shots with same EFG. Tim has 13 shots with 56 % EFG, than JRich with less than 11 shots and 51 % EFG. Rest are below ten shots per game. So imho there is absolutely no need to draw conclusions from that one bad game. Not even to mention how non KP/JRich players were extremely on fire as defense was focusing on KP. The way we like Luka when he adapts when defense is focusing on him and distribute even more while scoring less points (happened couple of times this season), there will be games where KP will be in shadow of other players who will have a hot night. Nothing wrong with that. 

Game against Portland was lost on defense, not offense.
Like Reply