Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021 NBA DRAFT: July 29, 7 pm
(07-01-2021, 04:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’ll never forgive Van Hagar!

Reminds me of a Nerf Herder song.
Like Reply
I would be interested to know if the Mavs are working out any guys.   I know it is tough to get people to come in without any picks, but I would be interested if they have any more interest in the draft than the previous regime. 

I was thinking about the forgotten Baylor player, MaCio Teague, who had a good year despite being a guy who is not on many top 100 lists.   I am not sure if he is a pro prospect but can create off the dribble and shot the ball pretty well despite an odd release.  I wanted to see if he was in the draft.  Well, there was an article how he and another potential undrafted guy from OU recently worked out with the Spurs.   

I wonder if the Mavs have two cents interest anything draft related right now?   

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021/6/2...cio-teague
Like Reply
The reports were there was a top 5 in this draft and than a little dip.   Some would have said top 4 and then Kuminga and then another drop.

Hollinger put his top 20 out a week ago.  He has Scottie Barnes from FSU at # 3 and the foreign kid Alpereen at #4.   Interesting.  Both look good in highlights.   Barnes stats were not great but FSU has had a good track record recently with pros.   He looks really good if he can develop a more consistent shot.  It may take some time though.   Alpereen supposedly plays in a good league overseas and his highlights are him just dunking over everyone.   Supposedly defense will be the area he needs to improve on.   If he is only 6'9 he may be a little between positions, but he looks good as well.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...5149126656
Like Reply
@"Chicagojk" can you make a draft board at some point? You seem to be putting in the research and I would love to see one.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...3522545664
Like Reply
(07-03-2021, 01:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"Chicagojk" can you make a draft board at some point? You seem to be putting in the research and I would love to see one.
Yes, I’m gonna be posting the draft challenge soon after the Finals are over and would like to see some opinions on who will be good!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/141...9324291072
Like Reply
(07-03-2021, 01:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"Chicagojk" can you make a draft board at some point? You seem to be putting in the research and I would love to see one.

I probably won't do a ranking.  With the Mavs not having a pick it is tough to get motivated with the top prospects.   Plus, I didn't watch much college basketball this year beside the tournament.

I will try to highlight 2-3 mid round first guys who I think are underrated.  Then I will pick out 3-4 early to mid second rounders who I would target if I was the Mavs and bought a pick.  Then I will pick out another 3-4 who are late second to undrafted guys who I would target.    I have found several of these guys I am intrigued with already.   

One guy I have really liked is Raiquuan Gray from Florida State.   He is build like a college linebacker.   He is not a good shooter but he is an ideal guy to put on your G league team and see if that can develop some.    He is PJ Tucker without the jumpshot but much better playmaking.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M1Sj_5M8Ls&t=454s
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 07:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I probably won't do a ranking.  With the Mavs not having a pick it is tough to get motivated with the top prospects.   Plus, I didn't watch much college basketball this year beside the tournament.

I will try to highlight 2-3 mid round first guys who I think are underrated.  Then I will pick out 3-4 early to mid second rounders who I would target if I was the Mavs and bought a pick.  Then I will pick out another 3-4 who are late second to undrafted guys who I would target.    I have found several of these guys I am intrigued with already.   

One guy I have really liked is Raiquuan Gray from Florida State.   He is build like a college linebacker.   He is not a good shooter but he is an ideal guy to put on your G league team and see if that can develop some.    He is PJ Tucker without the jumpshot but much better playmaking.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M1Sj_5M8Ls&t=454s

He looks a bit like Jalen Brunson....on steroids.
Like Reply
Kammrath Wrote: Wrote:@Chicagojk can you make a draft board at some point? You seem to be putting in the research and I would love to see one.

(07-04-2021, 07:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:
I probably won't do a ranking.  With the Mavs not having a pick it is tough to get motivated with the top prospects.   Plus, I didn't watch much college basketball this year beside the tournament.

I will try to highlight 2-3 mid round first guys who I think are underrated.  Then I will pick out 3-4 early to mid second rounders who I would target if I was the Mavs and bought a pick.  Then I will pick out another 3-4 who are late second to undrafted guys who I would target.    

I've been reading C-jk for years on another board.  This is his strength and he's really good at it.  Between his contributions and the excellent work we get every year from Kamm and others, I think we will be well informed about the upcoming draft if we simply keep up with this thread.
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 07:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I probably won't do a ranking.  With the Mavs not having a pick it is tough to get motivated with the top prospects.   Plus, I didn't watch much college basketball this year beside the tournament.

I think there is a significant likelihood that the Mavs will make a trade that includes one or more 2021 draft picks.  The Mavs need to BE PREPARED for the 2021 draft just as much as any other draft.
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 09:38 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: I think there is a significant likelihood that the Mavs will make a trade that includes one or more 2021 draft picks.  The Mavs need to BE PREPARED for the 2021 draft just as much as any other draft.
They will get those picks and like a game of hot potato, trade them right back out!
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 09:38 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: I think there is a significant likelihood that the Mavs will make a trade that includes one or more 2021 draft picks.  The Mavs need to BE PREPARED for the 2021 draft just as much as any other draft.

(07-04-2021, 10:30 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They will get those picks and like a game of hot potato, trade them right back out!

Yeah, maybe so, but still ...

The Mavs need to BE PREPARED for the 2021 draft just as much as any other draft.
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 08:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've been reading C-jk for years on another board.

Which board?
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 11:32 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: Yeah, maybe so, but still ...

The Mavs need to BE PREPARED for the 2021 draft just as much as any other draft.

Well I sure hope not, given our history of preparedness. Big Grin
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 11:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Which board?

Lone Mav Fan
Like Reply
Interesting name to throw around Santi Aldama from Spain. Him and Garuba (projected 17th in this draft) led Spain to the U18 European Championship. Aldama won tournament MVP (over Garuba/Sengun) and is/was a high-level prospect/recruit, but chose to go to a smaller college in Loyola, where he averaged 21/10 with two blocks last year. He´s still in this draft class and currently projected to go undrafted.

History of the U18 tournament MVP is pretty good. Names on the honour roll include...

Parker, Batum, Valanciunas, Kanter, Saric, Koufos, Rodriguez, Motiejunas, Lorbek, Abrines, Ntilikina. That´s 11 out of 19 MVPs of that tournament.

He hasn´t hired an agent, but that´s the kind of player, you buy a 2nd round pick for and make a promise. If he was playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona, he´d definitely be projected as a 2nd round pick. He´s just off the beaten scouting path going from a small Spanish club to a small college.
Like Reply

Cool thanks. Totally understand. I appreciate anything you can bring to the table!
Like Reply
Interesting name I saw someone else mention.  Ibou Dianko Badji.   18 years old from Senegal who will not turn 19 until October.  &'1 with a huge wingspan.  Plays on the Barcelona B team.  I see him in the 50-60's in some mocks.   He is extremely raw, but I am surprised he is not a late first round candidate with his upside just off these videos.  May decide to pull out of draft, but he is a an ideal gamble of a draft and stash and forget about for a few years.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6-Rh2JDRuM

https://streamable.com/cbj41q
Like Reply