Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 108, Suns 109
(02-03-2021, 03:17 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And that´s the big problem. KP has no real position. What looked like an unique opportunity a few years ago is slowly turning into a problem. He prefers to play center but isn´t doing a good job when it comes to important bigman skills like rim running, screening or rebounding. He is a great rim protector but cannot defend in space. He can shoot but isn´t a threat of the dribble. That´s not a unicorn. That´s a 7`3 wing.
He needs someone next to him that can rebound and defend in space. The Mavs need someone that can be the focal point of the pick and roll attack (a good screener and finisher). If KP cannot be that guy he is just a glorified spot up shooter. If KP is that guy the Mavs need another shooter next to him.
I am starting to think that the best fit next to KP is an even more unique player than the unicorn himself. Rebound like a big. Defend the perimeter like a wing/guard. Space the floor when KP is involved in the pick and roll or posting up. Be a rim runner when KP is spacing the floor.

The easiest solution for all of those problems is simple. KP needs to improve his inside game. 47.3 career 2P% and only 4.3 FTA per game won´t cut it. He needs to learn how to play a more traditional bigman game. Screen/roll, cuts, putbacks, taking advantage of mismatches. If he can do all those things in combination with his perimeter skills he is a true unicorn. That´s what the Mavs need if they want to build their offense around a Doncic/KP two-man game.
It would be easy to find a 3&D wing or big that can space the floor, defend the pick and roll and rebound. One could argue that Maxi is already a pretty good option.

The more difficult solution is the "2nd unicorn" next to KP. A player that can cover his weaknesses on defense. Can run the pick and roll instead of KP but can also space the floor if KP tries to play inside. Not easy to find a player like this and it is hard to imagine that the Mavs could afford both KP and the potential frontcourt partner.

Which brings us to the third option. Move on and try to find better fitting pieces. That´s probably just as difficult as the 2nd option. KPs trade value isn´t what it used to be. Not a lot of options in FA. Lack of trade assets.
It’s almost as if when he said in NY that he prefers to play the 4 that he knew he wasn’t a good 5. 

He has played well in the 5 spot when Powell was out last year, so there is that, but I agree, we should be trying to find a good enough big to put next to him. 

Favors was always my favorite cheaper option. Turner is a timeline fit and in the higher end of options. WCJ would be another really good option IMO. Haven’t paid attention to his game much but sounds like Collins is another good cheaper option.
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 09:06 AM)Mapka Wrote: And Maxi is his backup. 

I really think Maxi is starter material. If we are looking for a 2nd big next to KP, I think it should be in the mold of Maxi as much as possible.

The only one that comes to mind is John Collins, but he comes with his own issues.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 08:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I still think mine is unpopular because the vast majority still scoff at the idea of wanting a 2nd big next to KP defensively.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't scoff at that. I don't like the idea of two CENTERS, and I totally understand that who YOU think it is interchangeable at the 4 or 5 might be different than who I'D put in that category, which is fine, but to my thinking, two bigs is fine. It's just a matter of why type of big.

(02-03-2021, 10:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I really think Maxi is starter material.

We really don't know if he is or not, but I think we all believe it's time to find out. If he can be a 30 minute player, I'm all for it. His skillset helps.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 02:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Pretty much what a lot of us have pointed out in the last couple of weeks. Any improvement on offense doesn´t matter as long as he is borderline unplayable on defense. Right now the Mavs could replace him with Boban and the pick and roll defense wouldn´t be any worse.

You rang? 

I've said this before, mainly to vent for myself because its hard for me to watch some of these Mav's losses when some solution is so obvious. 
Quote: Any improvement on offense doesn´t matter as long as he is borderline unplayable on defense. 

Simple logic.  When you have a lead and time is low enough to be heavily in your favor, you don't have to win by defense!   

The other team, behind and running out of time, has to win by defense.  Sure you want to defend well but if you just keep scoring, often just a bucket or two would be enough to seal your win. 

Rick Carlisle as brilliant a basketball mind as he obviously is, has a mental block here.  His team is up. Time is low, he's still thinking "My team has to get stops." and not thinking who do I have that could score a few buckets to seal this win? 

It's as though he's entirely incapable of thinking that way and the end result is a team that over the last few season is absolutely turrible at holding leads to secure wins.   

This applies to the hardly used Boban, yes, because he's very hard to stop offensively and highly efficient if put in good positions but it really applies to a mindset.  Luka in the post (but he's not as big and gets banged a lot) or any highly efficient scoring options could seal a win from a lead.  No need to keep running the 3 pointers and jumpshots etc. out there.  Get some free throws!

Stan Van Gundy explains the NBA coach's mindset that I think causes this mental block. 
From my Boban watch thread
Quote: coming out of my time in Detroit – you always evaluate yourself – I should’ve played him more. I really should’ve. And I think there are other coaches that would say the same thing," Van Gundy said on NBA TV and explained further.

"As the coach, you tend to think about the defensive end of the floor all the time. And he can be a problem there but the man’s unstoppable and unselfish and the whole thing… I wish I would’ve played him more."
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 12:11 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Stan Van Gundy explains the NBA coach's mindset that I think causes this mental block. 

It's not like you didn't mention this about hundred times already. I have an idea. Why don't we move Bobi to Pels for any of NAW, Hart or Lewis? Perfect opportunity for SVG to correct his past mistake.
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 10:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I really think Maxi is starter material. If we are looking for a 2nd big next to KP, I think it should be in the mold of Maxi as much as possible.

The only one that comes to mind is John Collins, but he comes with his own issues.

Maxi has starter quality for sure, but we need him to play when KP sits. And I'm not sure, if he should play starter minutes constantly. We just need a third rotation big
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 01:04 PM)omahen Wrote: It's not like you didn't mention this about hundred times already. I have an idea. Why don't we move Bobi to Pels for any of NAW, Hart or Lewis? Perfect opportunity for SVG to correct his past mistake.

1) I don't post that often, so exaggerate much?  In fact I only posted that particular point in the thread on that topic.  Maybe it annoys some people because it makes too much sense?  

2) I post what I feel compels me to say something and its actually not very often if you check my post history. 

So yeah, is there some post limit per subject I'm unaware of?  Love to see it.  
My suggestion address the point or move along, its a matter seconds. Smile 

Pretending for a moment as if you're suggesting something seriously, its actually what I've suggested and wish they would do. Move the man along I hate to see the last years of his career wasted waving towels but then again maybe he's happy with it. Just speaking for myself. 
Also the larger point you completely missed, which was about closing games out when the team has leads, whether its Boban or anyone else.
Like Reply