Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 108, Suns 109
MAVERICKS FALL TO SUNS IN CLIFFHANGER
LATE-GAME WOES STRIKE AGAIN

Oof. So close, and yet so far. 

GAME STORY

The Mavs had ALL of their guys available, finally! Hurray! Maxi was the last player to re-enter the fray. KP was back from his rest game, and Devin Booker returned for the Suns. Rick went with a starting lineup that many fans have been longing to see — Luka, Richardson, DFS, Maxi, and KP.

That lineup managed a tie game by the time Tim came in for Maxi at 7:11. THJ injected a bit of drama with the team’s only two threes of the period, and followed up with a dive for a loose ball that ended in his flying over the scorer’s table, having to be rescued from hanging upside down over the table, and leaving the review monitor much the worse for the experience. Tim and Josh had 14 of Dallas’ total points, and after one, the score was knotted at 22-all.

The score differential was less than 5 points for most of the second, until the Mavs went on an 8-0 run to enter halftime leading 53-47. The game got physical at some points. Chris Paul smashed into Trey Burke, pushing him into Frank Kaminsky, and leaving Burke looking a little shaken. The whole Suns quarter was the Chris Paul show, as the Point God blitzed the Mavs with 16 points in the frame. Luka and JRich combined for 17 for Dallas. 

The Mavs looked pretty good to begin the third quarter, and built double-digit leads several times. Up 11 at the 4:48 mark, they did not hold on, and were perhaps lucky to still lead 82-77 at the end of the period. 

A Luka-less lineup early in the fourth gave up a 15-7 run by the Suns. The Mavs followed with a run of their own, and the score was tied when Carlisle put his finishing lineup on the floor at 4:08 — the starting five, but with THJ in for Maxi. 

From that point —

TIE. KP fadeaway.
     +2. Suns get three shots on one possession, but miss them all. 

+2.  Doncic missed stepback three. 
     +2  KP blocks Ayton’s layup attempt, but Booker hits a three on the offensive rebound. 

-1    KP missed shot, Booker loose ball foul on rebound. Hardaway three. 
     +2. Chris Paul pull up.

TIE. Ayton fouls Luka, who hits his free throws. 
      +2. Booker shot off offensive rebound. 

TIE. Richardson fouled. Hits his free throws. 55 seconds left.  
     +2. Booker missed shot. 49 seconds.

+2. DFS missed three on lovely open shot produced with ball movement. 27 seconds. 
     +2. Suns get three shots on the possession. KP blocks the last one, but the rebound isn’t secured, and a jump ball is called. KP tips it to Maxi, but it sails over Maxi’s outstretched hand and goes out of bounds off KP. 12 seconds. Suns timeout. Mavs have a timeout and a foul to give. Mavs do not take the foul to give. Booker hits a three over Josh. 1.5 seconds. Mavs take their remaining timeout. 

-1. Luka missed three. Game over. 

What can we make of this? Suns pulled down six offensive rebounds in the last four minutes. Mavs hit two shots in that stretch — a KP midrange and a THJ three. Luka and JRich hit their clutch free throws. Luka and DFS combined for three missed three-point attempts. The team did not take their foul to give before Booker’s three. Rick said they were supposed to take it, and labelled the failure a “very bad mistake.” Josh confirmed that taking the foul to give was all they talked about in the timeout huddle, so I don't know what went wrong. Rick maintained that there would be no fingerpointing, or if any one had to point a finger, point it at him. 

Stretch issues. Gross failure to secure the glass. Inability to hit clutch shots. Lack of attention to detail. A better game manager on the floor in Chris Paul. A disappointing way to lose a game, but at least some of this is fixable, although maybe not in the ultra-short term.

One could also take the view that the game was lost when the Mavs squandered an 11-point lead, and that they should never have been in a clutch situation. That would also be a reasonable point of view. Basically, Paul and Booker outplayed them in the last quarter, combining for 25 points, and the Mavs still lost by only a point. So that might be a ray of light. Also, KP came alive, scoring 10 points in the period. 

STATS

Poor three-point shooting (10-32, 31%). A 25-12 advantage in free-throw attempts, and a 24-25 performance from the line! Kept them in the game. Gave up 18 points off turnovers. Gave up 11 offensive rebounds, 6 in the last four minutes. Had 50 points in the paint. High scorers were Luka with 25 points, Josh with 24, KP 19, THJ 18, Brunson 11. 

PLAYERS

Luka was 25/5/8, despite having only 2 points in the first quarter. I think he must have playing hurt. He kept grabbing his leg, and had some kind of pack on it when he was on the bench. At one point, he crashed into the stanchion, and his leg buckled. I thought he might not be good to continue, but he finished the game playing 38 minutes. A lob from him to Josh in the fourth quarter won the Whataburger Play of the Game. He seemed quite frustrated at the end of the game, pounding the table, brushing off an overture by Chris Paul of a goodbye, and stalking off the court barking. 

There was a reporter's clunker in his post-game interview that might be a sort of metaphor for the Mavs’ season thus far, with a lot of shooting themselves in the foot taking place. One of the reporters asked him to assess what the team needs to work on, now that the season is more than half over. He sat there and looked blank for a few seconds, then said he didn’t think the season was half over.  Really? That was a planned question. Sometimes, it’s just, like — wut?

DFS. Although Doe-Doe scored only 5 points, he had a quietly impactful game on the other end. If only he hadn’t bricked that last three, he could have been a game-winning hero. 

RICHARDSON. Josh had a surprising game on both ends, with 24 points, 5 boards, and 2 assists. Most of his production came inside the arc, but he did hit a couple of threes, and was 4-4 from the line, including the high-pressure attempts in the last minute. In the third quarter, he executed a very nifty reverse layup, followed by an outstanding put back. He also made a few mistakes out there, but let’s look at the bright side for this one. I don’t really expect him to have 24 points on too many nights, but this one was fun, and he put in the most energetic performance I have seen from him this season. 

PORZINGIS. KP’s box score looks good — 19 and 10, although the performance was mixed. He had only 3 rebounds in the second half, but came through with 10 points in the fourth quarter. He was only 3-8 on two-point shots, but tied THJ at 3-7 for the team’s best three-point performances. The only good three-point performances, tbh. The rest of the team was 4-18. He had 4 pretty brutal turnovers, but that is unusual for him.

After the game, he said he thinks that playing for longer stretches helped him out, as he admitted that when he thinks he has only a short time to perform, he tends to rush things instead of playing in rhythm. He at least put a little lipstick on his coach-shaming missive, acknowledging that he might not have done a good enough job communicating his situation to the coaching staff. 

HARDAWAY.  A good showing from Tim off the bench, with 18 points on 6-12 shooting, including three triples. He had a couple of impactful steals, including a rare “wraparound steal” on Ayton which earned DeAndre a talking-to from his floor general, Chris Paul. 

KLEBER. It was great to see Maxi back, and he showed a lot of hustle and high effort in 18 minutes on the court, especially considering that he does not yet have his conditioning back. He was 1-5 from the floor, scoring only 2 points, but had 6 boards and made his presence felt on the defensive end. He also had some mistakes that contributed to the loss, but it was his first game back. Rick said that he knew it was going to be a difficult night for Maxi, but believes he will be better as soon as he gets his legs back under him. 

RESERVES. Brunson had a workmanlike outing, as usual, and contributed 11 points, but was on the floor for some of those Suns runs. WCS served as the reserve big, and had 4 points and a rebound in 14 minutes. Johnson and Burke had brief cameos, and Powell did not play. Not sure whether we should read anything into any of that, but maybe. I’m not jumping to conclusions at this point. 

SUNS. Too much Chris Paul and Devin Booker. Still. We came so close to putting these guys away. Dang it. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick was extremely disappointed with the loss, and was still ruing that untaken foul to give in his interview. Said that the team is not back on track chemistry-wise, still making mistakes and failing to attend to details. However, he pointed out that, unlike wins and losses, progress is not binary, and felt the game exhibited that the players are getting it together. He thinks it is very important to stay positive and together while they are fighting their way out of this ditch. 

I was gutted to see the team let the game slip away with some poor execution down the stretch, but feel that we can at least start identifying items that need work, rather than throwing up our hands because anything and everything seems to be wrong. I imagine it will be another week or two before the virus guys get fully re-acclimated, but hopefully they can get some wins before then. I liked the energy and hustle tonight, and thought they looked like a different team in that respect from the one who showed in the Jazz games. 

The record is 8-13, and the team is clinging to the 13th spot in the West. A far cry from where we thought we would be at this point in the season. Not an ideal start, but I still think the playoffs are a realistic possibility. Once they get over the hump once, I feel like they might even put together a winning streak or two. Trying to stay upbeat, per Coach’s instructions. 

We face the Hawks in Atlanta on Wednesday. Maybe that will be the game when the spring breaks through. 

'Til then!
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 04:16 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I was gutted to see the team let the game slip away with some poor execution down the stretch, but feel that we can at least start identifying items that need work, rather than throwing up our hands because anything and everything seems to be wrong. I imagine it will be another week or two before the virus guys get fully re-acclimated,  

This is the first day of the rest of the season (or something like that).  For those of us saying "just wait until everyone is healthy" before making huge judgments, we are just about there.  Rick can start the process of mixing and matching to see what works in a way that just hasn't been available to him.  But we aren't there yet.  Dallas was right on its season long average for points at 108 last night (current 108.7 ranks us 23rd) and points allowed at 109 (current 110.7 is 14th).  23rd and 14th are the expectation nor what we were doing pre-Covid.  There is room to grow.  Heck, just getting back to pre-KP would settle things down considerably.

The good news is pre-season JRich showed up.  I've been hopeful he would look better when surrounded by better players (so far, so good).  THJ and Brunson both had good games.  You can tell when a game is important to Rick.  He shortened the rotation to basically 8 (JJ and Burke got 6 and 3 minutes, so I'm not counting them as being in the "rotation").  THJ got starter minutes as a 6th man and Maxi got bench minutes as a starter.  I'm not reading too much into the big rotation yet.  Maxi played all but 3 of his 18 minutes with KP.  It was almost as if Rick was protecting (or hiding) him knowing he wasn't ready for prime time yet.  One of the best things about Maxi is his ability to play alongside any of the bigs on the roster.  It is a waste of that ability to have him spend all of his time next to KP.  But on this night, Rick was probably right.  The team went -9 in the 3 minutes Maxi played without KP.

There were some stints with KP as the single big (5-Out).  It was a mixed bag.  When Luka was in, the team was +9 with KP as the single big.  But, they were -7 with KP as the single big while Luka was sitting.  You would think a lineup of KP, THJ, DFS, Brunson and JRich could hold its own.  If it can't, then we've got to find someone from among WCS, Powell and Johnson that we trust to really be part of the rotation.  

Much of the focus after the game was on late game execution.  But, the game was lost on a 9-1 Phoenix run in the late 3rd and a 10-0 run in the early 4th.  The first run came against Luka and the bench guys.  The second run was against KP, two starters and two bench guys.  Right now the focus is on getting the right group of starters working together.  But, you can't ruin the bench in the meantime.  I suspect we are in for a period of continued experimentation before we settle in on something.  My bet is still that Powell will play a role somewhere in this (or we will trade for a 9th man that we really can trust).
Like Reply
Great write up as always mavsluvr. Respect

Good point Dan on the Maxi minutes. To start and finish the game(also to finish the 2nd and start the 3rd) I think this is how it will usually play out. Maxi is the best perimeter defender of all the bigs(just look at that last possession against CP3). To your point though, we should mix it up more throughout the game. Possibly Maxi + WCS for stretches and KP + Powell for others. The Maxi minutes last night probably had more to do with him just now being back after 10 games.

Hard to believe this was the first game with a full roster since 2019. Plenty of encouraging signs in this one that shows how the pieces will fit. You can tell they’ve talked things through and have a new sense of urgency the last 2 games. Plenty of time left in the season

This really was game 1 of the season. After we start winning we won’t even count the stats from previous games
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:53 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Much of the focus after the game was on late game execution.  But, the game was lost on a 9-1 Phoenix run in the late 3rd and a 10-0 run in the early 4th.  The first run came against Luka and the bench guys.  The second run was against KP, two starters and two bench guys.

I certainly agree with the above, but I ALSO think this was another example of late game execution that, while better than some of the darkest examples last season, wasn't up to par with an opponent like Chris Paul.
Like Reply
Yes, execution on defense was suspect, as well as some lineup choices by RC.  But, to my eye test, the Mavs did look better overall, after not even looking like an NBA team for a while.  But they still only shot about 31% on threes.  They are just not going to win games in this league until and unless they shoot at least 35% on threes. I don't know what they are going to do about that.
Like Reply
Learning experience. Better shot % will cover a lot of that up. 

This team is getting better and you can see the defensive improvement, when they try. Personally, I'm concerned with the continued poor shooting. I mean, even in Covid isolation, most of these guys shoot baskets almost every day. Maybe it's the legs and conditioning, somebody more into recovery while playing would know better, but the missed shots are just gutting.

At one point, DAL was up by 10 then missed shot and CP3 makes a 3, inbound go down and miss a shot then CP3 runs back and makes another 3. Boom, 10 is down to 4. We were lucky Booker didn't come out hot or this would have felt like another Jazz game. For a team that is supposed to improve on defense then use the threat of a 3pt to spread their defense, the shooting isn't scaring anybody to come out of their zone coverage.

I don't know what the answer is. Are they focusing too much on defense in practice? Is the conditioning an issue? Do we need a team optometrist? Basic shot mechanics classes? Meditation training? Voodoo charms?

Maybe DAL will get well over the next several games against (what are supposed to be) lesser clubs. Wouldn't hurt to get their confidence back with a few wins, no matter the opponent.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 11:09 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I certainly agree with the above, but I ALSO think this was another example of late game execution that, while better than some of the darkest examples last season, wasn't up to par with an opponent like Chris Paul.

This. Up 2. Need to 2 to secure the win and the best shot the Mavs can create is a corner 3 for DFS (32.3% for the season)? Even a KP post up is a better shot in this case.
I like that Luka is trying to play "the right way" but the Mavs have to find a way to adjust. In this case it was about the highest percentage look for 2 points.
Same on defense. If the coach tells them to foul there is no excuse for them not to do it. Maxi had CP3 trapped in the corner and could have easily fouled him to prevent the pass to Booker.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 11:39 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: This. Up 2. Need to 2 to secure the win and the best shot the Mavs can create is a corner 3 for DFS (32.3% for the season)? Even a KP post up is a better shot in this case.
I like that Luka is trying to play "the right way" but the Mavs have to find a way to adjust. In this case it was about the highest percentage look for 2 points.
Same on defense. If the coach tells them to foul there is no excuse for them not to do it. Maxi had CP3 trapped in the corner and could have easily fouled him to prevent the pass to Booker.

DFS corner three was awful he is the 5th option , like I said in the game thread you wont win games like that , Luka in the post is the best way to finish games, with you best shooter in strong side corner, Rick unwillingness to use Luka in the low block just shows lack of understanding of the best way to win.
Like Reply
This was the most frustrating game of the year. So close, can point to any little thing in a game this close as the reason we didn't end the losing streak. Jae Crowder's got to be laughing his ass off even though he didn't do too much against us

Long homestand coming after our next game against the Hawks. We'll have to do really well going in that stretch to salvage this season
Like Reply
Iztok Franko has a detailed, if depressing, series of tweets, complete with videos, critiquing KP's defense in this game. 

A sample --

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...55462?s=20
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 01:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Iztok Franko has a detailed, if depressing, series of tweets, complete with videos, critiquing KP's defense in this game. 

A sample --

Pretty much what a lot of us have pointed out in the last couple of weeks. Any improvement on offense doesn´t matter as long as he is borderline unplayable on defense. Right now the Mavs could replace him with Boban and the pick and roll defense wouldn´t be any worse.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 01:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Iztok Franko has a detailed, if depressing, series of tweets, complete with videos, critiquing KP's defense in this game. 

A sample --

This guy knows what’s up. Those clips are only 4th Q but teams have been doing this to us ever since he got back. These are perfect examples of defensive failure that more casual fans don’t notice. KP has got to find a way to disrupt what they’re trying to do. 

The good news is he finally looks like he’s trying. Lack of effort is more frustrating than trying and failing. Perhaps this can be fixed when he’s finally in shape(similar to Luka getting picked on by LAL early on). He showed last year that he can do it.......Assuming everything else goes as expected, this team will go as far as KP’s defense/rebounding will allow us to go. Just like the LAC series

Still plenty of hope for this squad
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 03:16 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: The good news is he finally looks like he’s trying. Lack of effort is more frustrating than trying and failing. Perhaps this can be fixed when he’s finally in shape(similar to Luka getting picked on by LAL early on). He showed last year that he can do it.......Assuming everything else goes as expected, this team will go as far as KP’s defense/rebounding will allow us to go. Just like the LAC series

So true. 

And, this is a Chris Paul team we're talking about. Pick and roll is what they do, and nobody does it better than him. I thought the pick and roll defense played by both KP and WCS was far better than it had been in quite some time. LIGHT years ahead of where it was in the last game KP played against Utah.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 03:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So true. 

And, this is a Chris Paul team we're talking about. Pick and roll is what they do, and nobody does it better than him. I thought the pick and roll defense played by both KP and WCS was far better than it had been in quite some time. LIGHT years ahead of where it was in the last game KP played against Utah.
Agreed. CP3 played so well that this is a perfect tape for Luka to watch and see how a master artist does it. How everything revolves around the easy buckets in the paint and midrange high percentage shots. Getting your teammates going. Exploiting the other teams defense. Taking what the other team gives you. Working the refs. Knowing the EXACT moment where your teammates need you to be superman and put the team on your back. THEN you work in the dagger 3’s with swagger making the ball go in at a higher clip.........hopefully he was taking notice

Edit: free throws. They don’t call them free for nothing. Luka has been better this year but free throws are the easiest clutch points to tally up
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1356...80549?s=20
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 02:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Any improvement on offense doesn´t matter as long as he is borderline unplayable on defense.

My unpopular opinion on KP's D:

KP was exposed in the bubble and against LAC in the playoffs as the only big when they put him in the pick and roll, and this has repeated itself the last 12 games. I genuinely think KP needs another big on the floor who can play beside/behind him so he can be more aggressive on pick and roll D. I genuinely think KP as the lone big is a huge source of his and this team's defensive struggles in the last 12 games. It is no accident that this year the ONLY two man pairing of KP's that is positive is with WCS (+4.6 in 84 minutes).
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 04:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My unpopular opinion on KP's D:

KP was exposed in the bubble and against LAC in the playoffs as the only big when they put him in the pick and roll, and this has repeated itself the last 12 games. I genuinely think KP needs another big on the floor who can play beside/behind him so he can be more aggressive on pick and roll D. I genuinely think KP as the lone big is a huge source of his and this team's defensive struggles in the last 12 games. It is no accident that this year the ONLY two man pairing of KP's that is positive is with WCS (+4.6 in 84 minutes).

And that´s the big problem. KP has no real position. What looked like a unique opportunity a few years ago is slowly turning into a problem. He prefers to play center but isn´t doing a good job when it comes to important bigman skills like rim running, screening or rebounding. He is a great rim protector but cannot defend in space. He can shoot but isn´t a threat of the dribble. That´s not a unicorn. That´s a 7`3 wing.
He needs someone next to him that can rebound and defend in space. The Mavs need someone that can be the focal point of the pick and roll attack (a good screener and finisher). If KP cannot be that guy he is just a glorified spot up shooter. If KP is that guy the Mavs need another shooter next to him.
I am starting to think that the best fit next to KP is an even more unique player than the unicorn himself. Rebound like a big. Defend the perimeter like a wing/guard. Space the floor when KP is involved in the pick and roll or posting up. Be a rim runner when KP is spacing the floor.

The easiest solution for all of those problems is simple. KP needs to improve his inside game. 47.3 career 2P% and only 4.3 FTA per game won´t cut it. He needs to learn how to play a more traditional bigman game. Screen/roll, cuts, putbacks, taking advantage of mismatches. If he can do all those things in combination with his perimeter skills he is a true unicorn. That´s what the Mavs need if they want to build their offense around a Doncic/KP two-man game.
It would be easy to find a 3&D wing or big that can space the floor, defend the pick and roll and rebound. One could argue that Maxi is already a pretty good option.

The more difficult solution is the "2nd unicorn" next to KP. A player that can cover his weaknesses on defense. Can run the pick and roll instead of KP but can also space the floor if KP tries to play inside. Not easy to find a player like this and it is hard to imagine that the Mavs could afford both KP and the potential frontcourt partner.

Which brings us to the third option. Move on and try to find better fitting pieces. That´s probably just as difficult as the 2nd option. KPs trade value isn´t what it used to be. Not a lot of options in FA. Lack of trade assets.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 04:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My unpopular opinion on KP's D:

reading the board the last week or so, your opinion isn't the unpopular one lol.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 05:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: reading the board the last week or so, your opinion isn't the unpopular one lol.

I still think mine is unpopular because the vast majority still scoff at the idea of wanting a 2nd big next to KP defensively. I think KP struggling on D is an almost universal take now, it is just a question of why and what would improve it.
Like Reply
(02-03-2021, 08:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I still think mine is unpopular because the vast majority still scoff at the idea of wanting a 2nd big next to KP defensively. I think KP struggling on D is an almost universal take now, it is just a question of why and what would improve it.

I think the problem is, that we don't have this second big at the moment. WCS is just not good enough. JJohnson is not at starter at this point and DP is (hopefully) still recovering.
And Maxi is his backup. 

But we have 4 Wing starters Luca, JRich, THJ and DFS. 

I want this third rotation big too. Best case would be DP getting back on track.
Like Reply