Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
5 50.00%
Suns
50.00%
5 50.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 21: PHX (11-8) @ DAL (8-13) | 108-109 loss | 6 game losing streak
(02-02-2021, 12:47 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: KL, loved your post, with the sole exception of commenting on JRich not having his best game. I don't know how he could have been any better on either O or D, and imagine he was the single most frustrated Mav after the loss.

This is probably the best case scenario for him, offensively.

Defensively, I don’t think he was bad, and I definitely think he had some really good moments. But, there were three or four costly errors, not the least of which was Phoenix’s last possession that lost the Mavericks the game. 

Imo, 10/10 on offense, 8.5/10 on defense.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Had to watch late tonight. Just finished the game. What a gut punch. Here are a few thoughts (haven’t read this thread, so don’t attack me like I’m your nemesis if any of this disagrees with something you’re fighting with someone about, please):

1) I thought Porzingis had a GREAT game tonight. He still doesn’t look fully comfortable on offense, and wasn’t very efficient on that end, although he certainly had some encouraging moments. On the defensive end, however, he was a different guy than he has been over the last two weeks. He was engaged, active, aggressive and mobile. He contested a ton of shots (many went in anyway, but not because he didn’t defend) and even played pretty decent defense on like 90% of the times he had to switch onto Paul and got iso’d. The only major error I can remember is when he came off of Paul prematurely late in the fourth and gave up a wide open three-point shot. I believe this made the score 95-90. If this is the kind of effort he brings consistently moving forward, I believe he will work his way through this rough patch. 

2) Building off of point number 1, Porzingis and WCS both combined to play probably the best 48 minutes of pick and roll defense I have seen the Mavericks play this year. It wasn’t perfect, and it wasn’t often successful, but they did play hard and almost always intelligently. Sometimes, you just can’t judge everything by the results. This brings me to point number 3...

3) They were not going to beat Phoenix tonight. Chris Paul was the best player on the floor for either team, and it wasn’t even remotely close. At his age, I’m not sure how many more of these he has in him, but tonight he was the Point God. This was not the same as his dominant performance the other night, when the Mavericks acted like they had no idea where he was trying to get to on the floor. It also wasn’t like the back to back performances from Jordan Clarkson against Utah. The Mavericks played defense tonight, but Chris Paul was just too good. I know that sounds like a copout, but he would’ve beaten the Lakers or Nets tonight. I believe that. Phoenix has been going through a rough patch themselves, so this win was just as important to them as it was for the Mavs. BOTH teams played like they really wanted it.

4) Not to beat a dead horse, and I know people don’t want to hear this, but I really thought the Mavericks played a good game tonight. If this had not happened to extend a five-game losing streak into a six game losing streak, we would all just shake our heads with a little bit of frustration and tip our hats to Phoenix. It stings more right now because of the losing streak, I know, but this is the type of game you lose, sometimes. I cannot express strongly enough how much better I feel tonight than I have after the other 5 losses in this streak. I actually feel better tonight than I did after a few of this season’s wins. The Mavericks played like a team who knew what they wanted to accomplish and couldn’t quite get it done.

5) For the most part, I thought Luka had a really good, unselfish game, and for the most part it paid off. I am not trying to nitpick him, but he passed up a layup late to kick it out to the perimeter, and I think that was a pretty costly mistake. In my opinion, he should have just taken the shot. It led to a wide open Chris Paul layup, which miraculously was one of the few bad plays CP3 made tonight, as he missed the chippy, Josh Green style. Crisis averted, temporarily, but I bring it up because I honestly think that Luka has barely scratched the surface of what he is capable of. I believe his decision making will continue to get better for several years, and as it progresses, so too will the Mavericks ability to close out games like this. Please don’t interpret this as me pinning the loss on Luka - that’s not what I mean. I honestly think it is unfair to expect ANY 21 year old who has ever lived to close a game out better than veteran Chris Paul. That’s not to say it will never happen, it’s just to say we cannot be mad when it doesn’t. It’s freaking Chris Paul.

6) Good gravy, anyone who wonders why coaches don’t like to play young players, just look at Phoenix. I have not checked the data (sorry @"Kammrath") and this could just be a tonight only happening, but my goodness is Phoenix a better team with Kaminsky on the floor than they are when Ayton plays. Night and day. They have to play Ayton, of course - he’s the future - but man, it must be frustrating to be in that situation when trying to win games.

7) I thought Kleber looked rusty tonight, but he had the best debut of any of the Covid guys, by far. He made some mistakes that ultimately contributed to the loss, but I thought he gave the team a much needed shot in the arm, energy wise. Glad to have him back. He worked his butt off. 

8) I really like the wing rotation of Richardson, Hardaway and DFS. I really like Hardaway coming off of the bench. All three of them had their moments, and we really didn’t get the absolute best game from any of them, but that is an area of the team that I think will be working in a couple of weeks when everyone gets back into shape and rhythm. 

9) I am not sure why Powell didn’t play. I’m sure you guys do know, but like I said, I had to tune in late and so I didn’t hear anything pregame. I assume he was just being rested, but if this was Johnson’s opportunity to get in front of him, I think it’s safe to say it’s a missed opportunity. Powell was badly missed tonight, in my opinion.

10) to get to the next level, I believe the team is going to need just a little bit more from Brunson. He did not play badly tonight at all, quite the opposite. I just think a stronger, more aggressive version of him is needed when Luka sits, especially if he’s to move decisively ahead of Burke in the rotation, which it appears he has. 

I know it’s hard, but in many ways this is sort of the beginning of the season for our Mavericks. It’s going to take a week or two for them to get to the end of this rough patch, but tonight showed me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I do not believe they are going to spiral down any farther. Chins up, my dudes.

I agree!!!!!!
I have seen progress toward a return to the team we really are the last two games. I really liked what I saw out of Josh Richardson tonight. Porzingis got two blocks and forced a jump ball in the last couple of minutes. That was good effort and the beginning of great defense....except we did not get the ball and they scored on all three. Man what a gut punch.

We made all four free throws down the stretch. If DFS makes that three in the end, and we play the game from there just as we did, we win. They made the game winning three...Booker...and we did not. Oh so close.

For Mavs fans this is hell for sure. But in basketball, from the depths, and this year has truly been the depths...sometimes we rise from the depths on our way to the top. 

One last player I really liked to night...THJ. He made several very big plays though the biggest defensive one, we somehow didn't get the ball and they scored. That was the theme for the night. The way Phoenix played, they would kill lots of teams but somehow, we really deserved to win for our effort as well.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah we definitely see things very different in regard to talent evaluation.

I can post gifs too and you want to blame RC but let me expand 

Cp3 vs Luka.  At this point every GM will take Luka over CP3 due to his age. size and prodigious talent. If you are talking about key playoff games right now and the last 5 mins of games, every GM will take CP3 right now. 

Bridges vs Hardaway. Bridges by a mile. Check their percentages. Bridges plays hard on defense too just like Hardaway. 

Kp3 vs Ayton. You can blame RC all you want. Right now every GM will prefer Ayton. 

We haven’t even got to Booker yet and that is a superstar 

We can go through other players too but the above itself shows the disparity. I love Klieber, DFS, Josh R. but they are good players without any defined elite skill sets. How can we say they are clearly better than players Pnx has?  

Ultimately with Phnx it will depend upon whether CP3 gets injured again. 

We can go team by team. I think you are overrating hustle and players who play hard for talent. Sure the hard working guy with less talent will do better than the sloth with all the talent. However not too many Lamar Odoms  anymore. Donnie has to see how to up the talent level.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know it’s hard, but in many ways this is sort of the beginning of the season for our Mavericks. It’s going to take a week or two for them to get to the end of this rough patch, but tonight showed me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I do not believe they are going to spiral down any farther. Chins up, my dudes.

You basically summed up my entire thoughts. Had to watch late myself and while this game was a punch in the nuts for sure, this was the first time I felt the Mavs are putting it together. KP missed a few too many for my liking, but the shots he was taking were GOOD shots. And in the 4th he came up with timely bucket after bucket as well as defending well for 95% of the time. Dude was great tonight compared to what he's looked like.

Luka looks off now. Harp even mentioned that he might be playing injured. I felt in the 4th Luka looked a bit slow and tired, could be from that. 

THJ+JRich played their best games of the year imo and if they bring that every night the Mavs don't need anything else from the 2 guard. Maxi is really the glue that holds it all together and I felt he looked fantastic tonight. A little rusty but great.

Only disappointments from this game was obviously the loss. I felt the offense stagnate in the 2nd for a bit when Burke/Brunson was on the court. 

I still feel like the Mavs need a more consistent bench guard. Brunson had some great moments, but if they had a guy like Rose I think the bench would be at another level.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:56 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I think you are overrating hustle and players who play hard for talent.

I am certain I am not doing this. 

I am also not evaluating the Mavs talent based on this abortion of a 20 game season so far.

Again, we see things VERY differently here. I think RC has a lot of talent at his disposal he is squandering. I hope that changes quick.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:59 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I started my dislike for CP3 when he and Tyson Chandler used to roll into Dallas and try to mess with Dirk.  I had to warm up to Chandler when he first arrived here.  I guess I could get used to him here but would just prefer have our current guys git gud.

...and David West, did not care for him either.

The thing is, there are only a few guys with a motor and attitude like that.  Michael Jordan was another one.  Both CP and MJ were just obnoxious players.   They do involve a downside at times because of their extreme competitiveness, but, overall, they bring positive results.  CP stole the ball from both Luka and Maxi last night because of extreme hustle and desire to win.
Like Reply
The Athletic had an All Star preview and Luka and Lillard were starters.  I noticed CP3 was just outside the list of reserves. Conley, Curry, George and DeRozan were picked ahead of CP3, Mitchell, Murray and Booker.  May not have anything to do with last night but CP3 may be making a push to make that team.  I would certainly take him over DeRozan.  

Luka's success brings out the best in his opponents.  For sure.
Like Reply
I dont get up by 2 that the 5th option on the court takes the shot , Mavs will never win anything if guys like DFS are taking big shots at the end of games, just poor execution
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9075681280
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 11:18 AM)speedkilz88 Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9075681280

that keeps happening here, I wonder why , the message is not getting across that is on the coaches
Like Reply