Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
5 50.00%
Suns
50.00%
5 50.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 21: PHX (11-8) @ DAL (8-13) | 108-109 loss | 6 game losing streak
(02-01-2021, 11:09 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: It actually matters

You have to be able to balance out those second chance points somehow and somewhere. 

If he his guy is giving them 6 extra posessions then where do you get them from to balance it out

KP was more efficient on offense and that balances it out. At least in the matchup with Ayton. KP is a stretch 5 and on offense he is not in the position to attack the offensive board. That´s DFS´s or Maxi´s job.
Not going for offensive rebounds is more about the scheme. The Mavs are trying to prevent transition points and looking at the big picture that seems to be for the best.
Overall the Mavs did not lose the possession game. Suns +6 FGA. Mavs + 13 FTA.
Like Reply
Well, you know the saying. "Good teams find a way to win."

I think the most disappointing thing about tonight's loss is that PHX is honestly not even that good. They are like 4-6th seed material at best. But it is glaringly obvious we are well below them. 

7-10 seed, what did Dirk use to say? Don't want to be fighting for the 8th seed? Well at least he had a ring at that point. I wonder how Luka feels about it?
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:18 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I was talking about tonight's game only and the series of events at the end.  The Mavs made some mistakes but so did PHX.  Mavs could have easily won, but didn't.

If you look at the box score, the game was pretty even, except for three point shooting.  Yes, the Mavs did shoot over 30%, but the Suns shot over 37%, which I think put them over the top.  Unless the Mavs can get over 35% shooting threes, they're not going to win many games.  I don't know how they do that, but they've got to figure it out.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:17 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: At the end of the day it is a talent issue.

That's the debate. I disagree. I think it is a coaching issue that is not getting the most out of the talent. 

Who knows what the truth is exactly.
Like Reply
How can you put this on Rick when over half his squad has been injured and his second best player is playing like a pussy.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:10 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I hate this fact.

Wish he were a Mav these past two seasons.
Like Reply
Watching the Rockets of late and the Mavs all season, I wonder if maybe Silas was the mastermind behind the Mav’s historic offense last year? Maybe the wrong coach left town. It’s certainly been a shocking decline in offensive efficiency, like nothing I’ve ever seen in sports.
Like Reply
We are trending the right direction last 2 games. Tonight was literally the first time we had all our players since 2019! We need to give them at least 2 games. Yes, KP still looks weak, but he’s trying more. No need to panic yet
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That's the debate. I disagree. I think it is a coaching issue that is not getting the most out of the talent. 

Who knows what the truth is exactly.

I don’t disagree RC has to shoulder some of the blame but the talent level is not comparable to some other teams. Bad drafting, not hitting in FA, throwing away picks have landed us here.  Meanwhile other teams have improved. It happens. Remember when Fin/Nash/Dirk beat Utah in the playoffs. 

Teams are not staying static. They are getting better. Meanwhile KP has regressed this year. Even if he plays at a high level we have a lot of hard working guys but talent wise there is a lot of room for improvement. When you are a poor drafting team you have to take some risks in FA. They are reluctant to do that too.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:32 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: KP has regressed this year.

My opinion? I think a good chunk of KP's regression is how he is being used and allowed to play. I also think KP has a beef with some of that as well, he has made too many comments to the media about things he should just be talking to his coaches about. 

I just don't think the most is being gotten out of the talent on this team. I could be wrong, but that's my guess and perspective.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:32 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I don’t disagree RC has to shoulder some of the blame but the talent level is not comparable to some other teams. Bad drafting, not hitting in FA, throwing away picks have landed us here.  Meanwhile other teams have improved. It happens. Remember when Fin/Nash/Dirk beat Utah in the playoffs. 

Teams are not staying static. They are getting better. Meanwhile KP has regressed this year. Even if he plays at a high level we have a lot of hard working guys but talent wise there is a lot of room for improvement. When you are a poor drafting team you have to take some risks in FA. They are reluctant to do that too.
Don’t know if you missed it but we drafted this player Luka Donthicc recently. Heard he was a decent pick
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:31 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We are trending the right direction last 2 games. Tonight was literally the first time we had all our players since 2019! We need to give them at least 2 games. Yes, KP still looks weak, but he’s trying more. No need to panic yet

The problem is we are a poor 3 pt shooting team who lives and dies by the 3 pointer. I am not understanding that. Yes definitely they played hard and I feel bad too they lost. But when your whole game plan is built around a weakness, there is a larger issue.

(02-01-2021, 11:37 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Don’t know if you missed it but we drafted this player Luka Donthicc recently. Heard he was a decent pick

Really??
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My opinion? I think a good chunk of KP's regression is how he is being used and allowed to play. I also think KP has a beef with some of that as well, he has made too many comments to the media about things he should just be talking to his coaches about. 

I just don't think the most is being gotten out of the talent on this team. I could be wrong, but that's my guess and perspective.
I feel the same. My question is: if we aren’t the right fit, then what IS a fit for KP?

Cant guard perimeter or paint. Can’t rebound. How can any contender justify playing that player as a starter? Is he a 4 or 5 or something else entirely? Seems like he just wants to jack up jumpshots
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My opinion? I think a good chunk of KP's regression is how he is being used and allowed to play. I also think KP has a beef with some of that as well, he has made too many comments to the media about things he should just be talking to his coaches about. 

I have expressed from last year how I feel RC’s biggest failing has been to find a way to have Luka and KP play off one another. Isn’t that how a top coach justifies his pay?  It’s not like PnR will never work. Kp has great touch from the FT line too. Posters here talk how Kp is weak in certain aspects but the only way you work through that is have the coach committ to a 2 man game over and over. For some reason RC does not want to do that. 

So I fully get what you are saying. 

However he is 7’3”. Just go and play mad and rebound/ block shots like crazy Where are those games? Last year there was a stretch where I said he was even more valuable than Luka. It was his energy and dominance  on defense that made me say that. Where is that this year? Is he still injured. You cannot blame that on RC
Like Reply
FWIW, I was pleased with how we played tonight. There were some coaching blunders at the end of each half and a free bad breaks on out of bounds possessions.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:45 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I have expressed from last year how I feel RC’s biggest failing has been to find a way to have Luka and KP play off one another. Isn’t that how a top coach justifies his pay?  It’s not like PnR will never work. Kp has great touch from the FT line too. Posters here talk how Kp is weak in certain aspects but the only way you work through that is have the coach committ to a 2 man game over and over. For some reason RC does not want to do that. 

So I fully get what you are saying. 

However he is 7’3”. Just go and play mad and rebound/ block shots like crazy Where are those games? Last year there was a stretch where I said he was even more valuable than Luka. It was his energy and dominance  on defense that made me say that. Where is that this year? Is he still injured. You cannot blame that on RC

How do you do that when KP is always hurt?
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:48 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: How do you do that when KP is always hurt?

Not disagreeing. I am just saying that I cannot put all of KP’s regression on RC. Be it injury or whatever else is bothering him, he has certain things he can do without any coaching. It has not happened this year. 

Also if it is an injury issue you have to look seriously if this is who you want as your 2nd best player
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:52 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 11:48 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: How do you do that when KP is always hurt?

Not disagreeing. I am just saying that I cannot put all of KP’s regression on RC. Be it injury or whatever else is bothering him, he has certain things he can do without any coaching. It has not happened this year.

Also if it is an injury issue you have to look seriously if this is who you want as your 2nd best player

The thing about whinging about KP being a mistake is that that ship has sailed. The Mavs obviously put their eggs in the "Luka and KP are enough" basket the past two offseasons - more baffling in '19 than in '20, tbqh - but you're talking a max contract player that no one in the league will want for more than we got him for. We can't trade him until this summer at the soonest, and that's if he gets back to at least what he was for about the last month of last year pre-bubble. And at that point, trading him is more of a strategic move.
Like Reply
The thing that is very encouraging is that the team is playing with 100% more energy as of the past 2 games and it's something that will translates into wins once their offense gets rolling. What's also encouraging is their defense for the most part. They're getting there guys; it's going to take a little time but they are making strides.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:27 PM)cow Wrote: Wish he were a Mav these past two seasons.

I started my dislike for CP3 when he and Tyson Chandler used to roll into Dallas and try to mess with Dirk.  I had to warm up to Chandler when he first arrived here.  I guess I could get used to him here but would just prefer have our current guys git gud.

...and David West, did not care for him either.
Like Reply