Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavericks 104, Jazz 116
MMB has an interesting breakdown, complete with illustrations, of the Mavs' struggles on offense and defense in this game. 

Here is a wry paragraph on their attempts to defend the PNR via switching. 

"Dallas tried with James Johnson on Ingles to have two bigs defending pick and roll so they could try switching it. Here are two possessions where Dallas tried to switch. You can see Johnson give a sign to Porzinigs to switch, but Utah was too fast. On the next possessions, you can see Porzinigs asking the bench if to switch, and Ingles missed the three. Trying to figure out how to defend on the fly is not a sign of well-versed defense."

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1/28/22254613/notebook-game-observations-jazz-picked-mavericks-apart-in-a-variety-of-ways?utm_campaign=mavsmoneyball&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The author's bigger picture conclusions are:

1.  Carlisle made a number of in-game adjustments, which resulted in the Mavs playing much better in the second half. 

2.  Some of the new-lineup issues, like miscommunications and uncertainty about tactics, should iron themselves out with more time on the court. 

3. There are certain other issues that don't appear easily fixable in the short term. 

Details in the piece. 
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: If the players really aren't clear what their roles are, there is a problem somewhere. Most of these guys were here last season, and their roles don't seem to have changed in any dramatic fashion. Is it that their roles vary with the opponent, or even with the lineup? In KP's case, is he confused what he is supposed to do if he's playing PF rather than C? Are their roles still being tinkered with?

Yeah super concerning comments from KP that help shed light on what so many of us have been picking up on: there are chemistry issues on this team (and he flat out said as much). 

Assuming that RC is still in control of this team and hasn't lost the locker room, I would guess that RC is trying to figure out what to do and what is most successful for this team so the roles are changing almost day to day. 

There wasn't a lot of turnover on this team but two massive things happened that have disrupted the most successful starting lineup from last year (Luka, THJ, DFS, DP, KP) significantly:

1) JRich was signed. Can he play alongside THJ in the starting lineup? If so, who gets bumped? DFS? DP?

2) DP went down with an achilles injury and is not near what he was impact wise. Who replaces him? JRich, moving DFS to 4 which he has a long track record of being a liability at? WCS, giving KP a 2nd big which makes him worse offensively but better defensively? Maxi, but does THJ then go to bench?

There is ZERO clarity on who the default starters are on this team and so I think that massively hurts the team with finding any identity and chemistry.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 02:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: MMB has an interesting breakdown, complete with illustrations, of the Mavs' struggles on offense and defense in this game. 

TRhey are posting great analysis this year. I agree with everything written in this piece.
Like Reply
Any chance that KP is worried about re-injury? He's supposed to play the 5, which is traditionally an in-the-paint position, but keeps drifting out or trailing like he's hoping to get the 3pt try. I think both of his injuries came while trying to work inside, but maybe I'm wrong. 

I feel like he's a streaky guy. If we can ever get him two good games in a row where he majorly contributes and he gets the attention for it (e.g. the post-game talk with Doris), then he'll rally to keep that going. 

I would like to see him have an off season where he was not on rehab and could spend time adding to his game, which doesn't seem to have much dimensionality to it right now.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 02:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: moving DFS to 4 which he has a long track record of being a liability at?

This is something you have mentioned countless times. I believe the data, but not necessarily the conclusion. I can't go back and watch every example from the past, but I followed it as closely as I could last night. 

DFS was not playing the 4 very much last night, if at all. Luka was. This leads me to believe DFS was in the lineup for a specific, non-4 matchup. It might seem like an irrelevant distinction, but it helps me wrap my brain around the possible reasons this might not be working. At no point did they attack DFS on defense (at least not in a bullyball in the paint sort of way), and I'm not sure they would have had he been guarding the opposing 4. One could make the claim that this hurts them on the glass, only again, Luka was the one ending in the paint area 99% of the time (along with the center), and he's the best freaking rebounder on the team. 

I'm not trying to dismiss the data, just trying to further understand its significance, because TALENT wise, the starting lineup from last night seems to be one of if not the best the roster has to offer. 

I suspect the true epicenter of the issue is the presence (in combination) of THJ and Richardson. If they want Richardson on the PG and DFS on the most dangerous wing, Luka and THJ both have to guard SOMEONE. THJ obviously can't guard 4's (although he had two of the best defensive possessions on Gobert of the night, somehow). That leaves Luka. 

Again, this might be a "no duh" distinction for you, but for me, it matters, because I honestly think that if you could CLONE DFS and play both versions together, removing one of Richardson, THJ or Luka, "DFS at the 4" would look a lot better than we think. 

Hopefully I got the point across, even if you disagree.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 04:18 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I would like to see him have an off season where he was not on rehab and could spend time adding to his game, which doesn't seem to have much dimensionality to it right now.

This is a wonderful point.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 02:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah super concerning comments from KP that help shed light on what so many of us have been picking up on: there are chemistry issues on this team (and he flat out said as much). 

Assuming that RC is still in control of this team and hasn't lost the locker room, I would guess that RC is trying to figure out what to do and what is most successful for this team so the roles are changing almost day to day. 

There wasn't a lot of turnover on this team but two massive things happened that have disrupted the most successful starting lineup from last year (Luka, THJ, DFS, DP, KP) significantly:

1) JRich was signed. Can he play alongside THJ in the starting lineup? If so, who gets bumped? DFS? DP?

2) DP went down with an achilles injury and is not near what he was impact wise. Who replaces him? JRich, moving DFS to 4 which he has a long track record of being a liability at? WCS, giving KP a 2nd big which makes him worse offensively but better defensively? Maxi, but does THJ then go to bench?

There is ZERO clarity on who the default starters are on this team and so I think that massively hurts the team with finding any identity and chemistry.

Yes, these are important points. 

The thing that has me a little worried is time. We're 18 games in, and the team seems to be in free fall at the moment. Even assuming that all the right guys are on the roster, if they want to make any noise this season, there isn't really time for all the tinkering that Rick usually does the first 20 or so games of the season. By the time the guys get back in condition and the schedule eases up, they're far enough into the season that an awful lot of things have to go right for them be in position to make a run in the postseason, especially if they're still figuring out roles, coverages, etc.

I fear it may be time to adjust our expectations. I also have a little bit of nervousness for Rick. If you have a season where you regress when a step forward was expected, that's the kind of thing coaches get fired for. I think he and Mark have a strong relationship, and there are certainly a perfect storm of outside reasons for a disappointing campaign, but there needs to be a way to make sure the team doesn't get too demoralized. 

A few wins in a row would change the narrative a lot, but it doesn't look likely in the near term. I hope I feel stupid over these trepidations in a couple of weeks.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:22 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I also have a little bit of nervousness for Rick.

Absolutely. @"KillerLeft" and I were reflecting on how these kind of tumultuous seasons get coaches fired even if they don't necessarily deserve it. RC might be coaching for his job over the next 54 games. Cuban is probably going to feel pressure to get Luka into the contention conversation, he will probably never have the chance at a player like him again.
Like Reply
Starting to think that the current situation will be a good thing in the long run. At least for Luka. So far his career has been a straight rise to the top without any setbacks. Best young player in europe, winning the euroleague and the MVP award, winning the eurobaskets, ROY, all NBA 1st team and first playoff run.
First time in his career that Luka and his team aren´t living up to the expectations. First time that he has to fight through bad luck and adversity. Maybe a humbling experience is exactly what he needs.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 11:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe a humbling experience is exactly what he needs.

If his character is up to the challenge, absolutely. None of us know the kid, so we'll have to hope for the best.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 11:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Starting to think that the current situation will be a good thing in the long run. At least for Luka. So far his career has been a straight rise to the top without any setbacks. Best young player in europe, winning the euroleague and the MVP award, winning the eurobaskets, ROY, all NBA 1st team and first playoff run.
First time in his career that Luka and his team aren´t living up to the expectations. First time that he has to fight through bad luck and adversity. Maybe a humbling experience is exactly what he needs.

Do you really think this situation is a good thing, df? Or are you desperately trying to imagine the bright side of being lost in a dark, freezing, terrifying wilderness? 

Be honest, now.
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 12:35 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Do you really think this situation is a good thing, df? Or are you desperately trying to imagine the bright side of being lost in a dark, freezing, terrifying wilderness? 

Be honest, now.

A little bit of both. I think you need to lose or at least fight through adversity to become the best version of yourself. LeBron missed the playoffs or was spanked by superior teams. Jordans first three seasons ended with humbling first round exits. If a mediocre regular season followed by a play in tournament and missed playoffs or another first round exit are what it takes to turn him into a better player who am I to complain.
Don´t think we have reached that point yet but it wouldn´t be the end of the world.
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 12:51 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think you need to lose or at least fight through adversity to become the best version of yourself.

[Image: fkKYLiS.gif]
Like Reply
I extended my life at least for a day reading this game takeawyas as I could not watch this game and now I certenly will not watch replay. Thank you forum Wink

https://giphy.com/gifs/dallasmavs-boban-...rce=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mavs.com%2F
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 12:51 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A little bit of both. I think you need to lose or at least fight through adversity to become the best version of yourself. LeBron missed the playoffs or was spanked by superior teams. Jordans first three seasons ended with humbling first round exits. If a mediocre regular season followed by a play in tournament and missed playoffs or another first round exit are what it takes to turn him into a better player who am I to complain.
Don´t think we have reached that point yet but it wouldn´t be the end of the world.

Well, if this is to be another character-building season, maybe Luka will come out of it as a better person. Yep.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:13 AM)Hypermav Wrote: “We don’t have that chemistry yet that we’re looking for,” Kristaps Porzingis said. “We don’t have our roles clear. We’re just kind of out there playing. We’re a talented group, but until we have everybody playing together and having also some time off the court I think we won’t have that chemistry.”

Definitely all is not well behind the scene in Mavs land.  Its a lot to bring comments like that to the surface from players. 

It also has to be at least somewhat a criticism of Coach Carlisle.  Carlisle is pretty much an untouchable in Dallas being the only ring bearing head coach as well as high stature around the league.  If KP or any player challenges him in anyway its good luck with all that.  I think KP would get traded before Carlisle would be touched.  Just ask Rajon Rondo, and that is in no way defending Rondo.  Rondo was a difficult personality but point is he had zero chance to challenge the coach in Dallas, period.  He did better taking his show on the road. 

The off the court remark implies some player to player stuff, but the unclear roles?  That has to include coaching. Just saying no player talking about their roles being unclear is not in some way referring to the coach because that is a big part of the coaches job.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:10 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Was anyone struck by KP's comment that the players don't know their roles?

KP is the #2 player on the franchise.  Yeah, you have to be struck by that.  Other players, ok, it might get blown off but the only guy that could make this a bigger issue is Luka himself.
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 03:17 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Definitely all is not well behind the scene in Mavs land.  Its a lot to bring comments like that to the surface from players. 

It also has to be at least somewhat a criticism of Coach Carlisle.  Carlisle is pretty much an untouchable in Dallas being the only ring bearing head coach as well as high stature around the league.  If KP or any player challenges him in anyway its good luck with all that.  I think KP would get traded before Carlisle would be touched.  Just ask Rajon Rondo, and that is in no way defending Rondo.  Rondo was a difficult personality but point is he had zero chance to challenge the coach in Dallas, period.  He did better taking his show on the road. 

The off the court remark implies some player to player stuff, but the unclear roles?  That has to include coaching. Just saying no player talking about their roles being unclear is not in some way referring to the coach because that is a big part of the coaches job.
Thanks, Dahl. This comment is not to disagree with any of the above, more to add to it. 

I saw some comments from coaches around the league that would indicate that team chemistry is suffering league-wide, and that the virus restrictions are making it very difficult to rectify that. 

Per the comments, most team bonding is done on the road, when the players used to spend a lot of time together. Now, they mostly have to stay in their hotels if they're not at a team activity, they don't eat together, and they're not allowed to congregate in groups. Players cooped up in their hotel rooms, particularly on multi-game trips, tend to get edgy and frustrated, which is not conductive to building relationships between teammates. 

In general, in-person team meetings are limited to ten minutes, shootarounds have been widely curtailed or eliminated, and hours that a player can be at the gym are regulated. Coaches' access to players outside of limited practice sessions is mostly online. 

The NBA is trying to be creative about coming up with team-building measures, but there is just so much that can be done within the protocols and state/local restrictions. 

I would imagine the Mavs might well be experiencing some of that.  
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 03:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks, Dahl. This comment is not to disagree with any of the above, more to add to it. 

I saw some comments from coaches around the league that would indicate that team chemistry is suffering league-wide, and that the virus restrictions are making it very difficult to rectify that. 

Per the comments, most team bonding is done on the road, when the players used to spend a lot of time together. Now, they mostly have to stay in their hotels if they're not at a team activity, they don't eat together, and they're not allowed to congregate in groups. Players cooped up in their hotel rooms, particularly on multi-game trips, tend to get edgy and frustrated, which is not conductive to building relationships between teammates. 

In general, in-person team meetings are limited to ten minutes, shootarounds have been widely curtailed or eliminated, and hours that a player can be at the gym are regulated. Coaches' access to players outside of limited practice sessions is mostly online. 

The NBA is trying to be creative about coming up with team-building measures, but there is just so much that can be done within the protocols and state/local restrictions. 

I would imagine the Mavs might well be experiencing some of that.  

Good insight.   I imagine the pandemic environment must affect the ability of coaches to coach almost as much as it does for players to play.  Undecided
Like Reply
(01-29-2021, 07:59 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Good insight.   I imagine the pandemic environment must affect the ability of coaches to coach almost as much as it does for players to play.  Undecided

Yes, the coaches are ruing their inability to have access to players for workouts and teaching sessions. This is said to be especially affecting the difficulty in gelling and in mastering complex strategies for teams with a lot of young players, and/or a lot of new players.
Like Reply