Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavericks 104, Jazz 116
MAVERICKS BLOWN OUT OF THE ARENA IN UTAH
RICHARDSON, FINNEY-SMITH, POWELL RETURN

Turrible. Just turrible. 

There was some good news. Josh R, Doe-Doe, and Dwight all were cleared to play, and each received meaningful minutes. Rick warned that re-integrating them will be a gradual matter, and indicated that they were not yet in game shape. 

GAME STORY

Maxi was still out for Dallas, and Derrick Favors and Donovan Mitchell were on Utah’s injury list. Rick rolled out what many expected to be one of the Mavs’ best lineups — Luka, Richardson, THJ, DFS, and KP. A lineup which we may note had never played a game together. 

Your Dallas Mavericks got off to a horrible start. They looked passive and couldn’t score for anything. Meanwhile, Utah came out with guns blazing, and got anything they wanted. After one, Dallas trailed 19-32.

Things did not get better in the second. The Mavs hung in the game with the aid of 12 points from Timmy. At halftime, the deficit was 48-69. 

The shots started to fall for Dallas in the third period, especially for Luka, who had 15 points and was 7-10 in the frame. However, they were not able to get stops, and lost a point for their efforts. After three, 78-100.

The Jazz, being on the second night of a back-to-back, began to run out of juice in the fourth, but the Mavs were in too deep a hole to make up much ground. The twelve-point margin at the end did not reflect the difference for most of the game. Carlisle didn’t empty his bench until the last 1:34. The finishing lineup was Luka, KP, Johnson, THJ, and Burke — probably not coincidentally, all players who have played together this season. 

STATISTICS

The Mavs were out-rebounded 36-50, and gave up 11 offensive boards. The Jazz were getting two, three, and in one case, five chances in a single possession. Rudy Gobert had 20 rebounds — same as all the Mav bigs combined (and that’s counting DFS as a big). Unacceptable. 

The free throw differential was marked, with Utah getting 21 attempts, and the Mavs a season-low 9. That’s not just on the refs. The Mavs were often passive, and when they did attack, didn’t always go up strong. Oddly, the Dallas players were called for only 12 fouls, while the Jazz had 18, but that translated into far more chances for Utah. 

Both teams put up 91 shot attempts, but the home team took six more threes and completed 39% from deep. In point differentials, the Mavs were +8 in points from twos, -12 in points from threes, and -8 in made free throws. Dallas hit only 12 of their 35 3PTAs (34%). THJ was 4-6, and the rest of the Mavs were 8-29 (28%). Leading scorers for the Mavs were Luka with 30 points, THJ with 19, and KP with 18.

Defense was really bad, particularly the PNR defense. Coach Boucek said after the game that she thinks that defense will be a point of emphasis before the next game, and that they need to either do something different, or do something better. 

PLAYERS

DONCIC. Luka had 30 points and a decently efficient night (11-17 from two, 2-7 from three, 2-2 from the line). Luka having only two free throw attempts was pretty much a travesty. He was relatively quiet otherwise, with 4 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 turnovers. He had a big ice bag strapped to his knee on the bench, and was grimacing in pain at various times in the game. He declined to elaborate on reasons for the loss, only saying that they “were not ourselves” and have to play “way better than this.”

HARDAWAY. Tim was perhaps the only real bright spot of the night, and he contributed 19 points, going 6-10 from the field, 4-6 from three, and 3-3 from the line in a game-high 34 minutes. I know there is a fan contingent that favors phasing THJ down to a minor role, and this game is a good example of why the team just cannot do that. The Mavs HAVE to have a third elite scorer playing major minutes for their system to have a chance. It doesn’t have to be Hardaway — it could be another player around the league who has those skills. The point being, if it’s not Hardaway, the solution is not currently on the roster. He is usually first or second in minutes played for a reason. But I digress. Back to this terrible game. 

PORZINGIS. KP had 18 points (6-11 on twos, 2-7 on threes, no free-throw attempts), which I feel like looks better on paper than it did on the court. He had only 5 rebounds in a situation where more rebounding was desperately needed, and his defense was atrocious, especially against Utah’s spread pick and roll. 

I’m not sure if they really have to use that deep drop coverage, which wasn’t working. Per Kirk via Rob Mahoney on the MMB pod, that scheme is not just driven by lack of mobility of some of the bigs, but is a choice by the Mavs based on their analytics showing that guarding the basket and not showing on the screen is playing the percentages in some crafty way. I don’t know if that works out over the course of a season, but on any given night, like tonight, it can result in the opponent killing you from the three-point line. Not that the basket was covered, anyway. The Jazz paraded through the lane all night with little resistance. 

COVID PLAYERS.  These guys were predictably not at their best yet.  DFS was 1-8 from the floor. He and JRich combined for 9 points, both playing about 24 minutes. Powell had 3 rebounds in 13 minutes off the bench, and for aficionados of individual single-game plus-minus, he had a team-high +10. Carlisle thought that, given their conditioning, the three had “given what they could give.”

At halftime, Coach Boucek was asked why the Mavs seemed a little “tired and slow,” wondering whether maybe the altitude was slowing them down, especially the three re-entering players. She said she thought it was more that the Jazz had great continuity and the Mavs had none. Tonight’s starting lineup for Utah was only the second of the season, whereas most of the Dallas lineups had never played together. KP indicated after the game that the players (all, not just the three) don’t understand their roles, and are just out there playing by the seat of their pants. Hmm. 

BENCH. The entire bench was outscored 31-28 by Jazz reserve Jordan Clarkson. That’s including a 4-0 Dallas margin in garbage time. Johnson was the team’s leading rebounder with 7. WCS appeared in a 3-minute cameo. Powell was assessed a technical foul in the second quarter. As far as techs go, Hardaway and O’Neale had double Ts at one point. I don’t know what happened in either case. 

JAZZ. Give Utah credit. They played beautiful, elite basketball. They’re not first in the West for nothing. Their leading scorer was Clarkson, with a season-high 31 points off the bench. Gobert had 29 points and  20 rebounds, and showed up the Mavs all night. Joe Ingles’ 21 points included 7 of 11 threes, and Mike Conley added 17. 

OBSERVATIONS

Carlisle was not impressed, especially with the first half. When Eddie wondered if the team’s lack of rhythm was caused by all the unfamiliar lineups, Rick retorted that you don’t need rhythm to play defense, to have a strong disposition, or to communicate, and the players hadn’t done that. He wants more force and more presence next time. 

After the game, Boucek said that she was sure the first thing they would address is the disposition issue. She thinks the Mavs need to come out with a whole different mentality in their next appearance. They came out slow, without an edge, and didn’t defend or rebound well. She hinted at possible adjustments to the defensive scheme, indicating that they need to mix up their PNR coverage on Conley, and that they need to either change the strategy or improve the execution. 

She observed that some of Utah’s players aren’t that strong physically, and they need to do a better job of taking advantage of mismatches. Admitting that there wasn’t much “flow,” she anticipates that problem getting better with more time on the court together. She was not sure they were really as tired as they looked, opining that their lack of familiarity on the court was making them look a step slow. 

I had figured before the game that this one would probably fall n the loss column, and I was going to be okay with that, but I was very disappointed in this showing. Granted the Jazz were a formidable opponent, but the Mavs almost looked like a rec team that had just dropped in for some hoops against the pros. So ineffectual offensively. So impotent defensively. At one point, Derek Harper was cheerfully expressing encouragement over the Mavs’ stringing together two defensive stops. The body language was not good — they looked exhausted, disengaged, like they just wanted it all to be over. 

I’m not sure how good this version of the Mavericks is, but I still cling to the belief that they just can't really be THIS bad. At least they’re on the road to having their intended roster back. We knew it was going to be a process. Baby steps. 

The Mavericks face this same team on Utah in the two-game mini-series. Maxi is not expected to be back. Let’s hope the coaching staff can come up with something. 

Keep the faith, Mavs fans!
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: She acknowledged that it is unfortunate that KP’s threes aren’t falling, and noted that Gobert was not guarding him out there, and that KP didn’t get to the FT line.

I am not sure if this is her exact quote, but if it is, a newsflash for her. Gobert was not guarding KP, it was O'neale. Ingles was on Doncic. Gobert was guarding ignoring DFS.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 03:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure if this is her exact quote, but if it is, a newsflash for her. Gobert was not guarding KP, it was O'neale. Ingles was on Doncic. Gobert was guarding ignoring DFS.

Oops!
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 03:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure if this is her exact quote, but if it is, a newsflash for her. Gobert was not guarding KP, it was O'neale. Ingles was on Doncic. Gobert was guarding ignoring DFS.

In a way that´s even worse. KP has no traditional bigman skills and cannot take advantage of a 6´5 SF. That´s why the Jazz (or any other opponent) could hide their rim protector on the worst shooter (DFS). KP couldn`t  punish them as the roll man, in the post or at least on the offensive board.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 05:14 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In a way that´s even worse. KP has no traditional bigman skills and cannot take advantage of a 6´5 SF. That´s why the Jazz (or any other opponent) could hide their rim protector on the worst shooter (DFS). KP couldn`t  punish them as the roll man, in the post or at least on the offensive board.

It just shows, as long as we are missing open threes nothing else matters.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 05:30 AM)Mapka Wrote: It just shows, as long as we are missing open threes nothing else matters.

Not really. The whole point of having a stretch big is the ability to force the opposing big (rim protector) out of the paint. If teams can simply put a wing on KP that´s not going to happen.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 06:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not really. The whole point of having a stretch big is the ability to force the opposing big (rim protector) out of the paint. If teams can simply put a wing on KP that´s not going to happen.

Exactly. Since the shooter (DFS) doesn't bring the center out of the paint, Mavs offense falls apart as long as KP will not be able to punish the "midgets" opponents are sending to guard him. As he plays now, he is basically hugely overpaid Muscala.

If DFS doesn't bring his shooting up to last season average, it will be tough to have him in the starting lineup. He has to hit his wide open shots like Utah or Lakers role players are hitting them. No one dares to leave Bogdanovic or Ingles wide open. Even Royce is hitting them respectfully.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 06:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not really. The whole point of having a stretch big is the ability to force the opposing big (rim protector) out of the paint. If teams can simply put a wing on KP that´s not going to happen.

If Utah is forced to cover our wing, because he is hitting open threes:

A: KP will live at the rim, because Gorbert will be covering DFS in the corner insteed of protecting the rim.

or

B: KP will pull Gorbert to the threepoint- line. 

I didn't see this game, but any game I've seen where KP played and the opponent didn’t play a rimprotector, he feasted in the paint.
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 06:22 AM)Mapka Wrote: A: KP will live at the rim, because Gorbert will be covering DFS in the corner insteed of protecting the rim.

We have a big sample size of KP not being able to do that last season (with good spacing). The low point of the last season was probably Frank Ntilikina (6´4) playing lockdown defense vs KP and the Mavs losing both matchups vs the Knicks. This season it is even worse.
Like Reply
KP's inability to feast on smaller defenders is definitely a thing, and I hope it's a symptom of his injuries. I think it's easy to look at this injury or that injury from strictly as strictly a physical or playing time cost cost like "Oh, this injury isn't a big deal because it's a 3-4 month rehab. He shouldn't have any longterm physical problems and he will be back by January without missing too many games", and not in terms of the opportunity cost in basketball development. Every offseason he spends focused on rehabbing from an injury is an offseason he could have spent working on developing a low post game. He's way more behind on his development than he should be at the age of 25. If James Wiseman still has the same game 5 years from now that he has today, I don't think Golden State would be happy.
Like Reply
This game really was awful to watch. Jazz were missing Mitchell and were on the second night of a back-to-back and still we were hopelessly outperformed. Our defense is just atrocious and has been for some time. I really hope it has to do with key defenders being out (or not yet back in shape), with JRich, Maxi and DFS, because if this is our defensive standard, we are doomed.

As I said earlier: What concerns me the most is the issues we assume are going on behind the scenes. The lack of effort and weird chemistry could be the result of that. I just hope it is not going that deep and a couple of wins will fix this.

I am not ready to write them off yet, but if we stay healthy and look like this in 2 more weeks than this is just the 20/21 Mavericks.
Like Reply
No response from moderators on this site Sad Account was locked out for a long time and no easy way to reset. Had to tweak the username. 

I don’t believe the issues are all that grave. This team has two studs. KP is the same guy who led the team last year in a stretch offensively and defensively where Luka was out. He has flaws like any other star. Luka does too.  Embiid  has flaws, Ben Simmons, Giannis.  We are not finding a guaranteed better stud if we get rid of KP

The biggest issue with RC over the last year has been the inability to find a way for his two stars to play off one another. Relegating Kp to a 7’3” outside shooter is not the answer. My feeling even last year has been that we need to run a lot of high post action through KP. Is his passing the best? No. Neither was Dirk’s but he improved as the team put him in that position and asked him to adapt. 

Luka will always get his. Use Luka as the Bulls used MJ or the Lakers use Bron. Some games they will be on a roll from the start but don’t force feed the offense through them from the start.  They are good enough to dominate even late in the game even without high usage prior. Players like KP OTOH need more structure and a defined plan from the coach.  Plus Luka not always focusing on scoring should make him a better player too.  However Luka needs to buy into this too and the coaching staff should actively work on getting the 2nd best player going every night. 
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 06:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The low point of the last season was probably Frank Ntilikina (6´4) playing lockdown defense vs KP and the Mavs losing both matchups vs the Knicks.

Hey! I'm offended on behalf of my boy Frank! He is one of the better NBA defenders! Smile 

But yeah, all your points about KP are spot on and super disturbing.....
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 08:28 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: No response from moderators on this site Sad Account was locked out for a long time and no easy way to reset. Had to tweak the username. 

I don’t believe the issues are all that grave. This team has two studs. KP is the same guy who led the team last year in a stretch offensively and defensively where Luka was out. He has flaws like any other star. Luka does too.  Embiid  has flaws, Ben Simmons, Giannis.  We are not finding a guaranteed better stud if we get rid of KP

The biggest issue with RC over the last year has been the inability to find a way for his two stars to play off one another. Relegating Kp to a 7’3” outside shooter is not the answer. My feeling even last year has been that we need to run a lot of high post action through KP. Is his passing the best? No. Neither was Dirk’s but he improved as the team put him in that position and asked him to adapt. 

Luka will always get his. Use Luka as the Bulls used MJ or the Lakers use Bron. Some games they will be on a roll from the start but don’t force feed the offense through them from the start.  They are good enough to dominate even late in the game even without high usage prior. Players like KP OTOH need more structure and a defined plan from the coach.  Plus Luka not always focusing on scoring should make him a better player too.  However Luka needs to buy into this too and the coaching staff should actively work on getting the 2nd best player going every night. 

Welcome back.
Luka showed the willingness to focus on distribution when his teammates are making plays. We saw it against the Raptors (blowout L) and the Pacers (win). Thing is that right now most guys struggle to make even basic plays on offense. KP simply isn´t on Dirks level on offense (even young Dirk). Despite his nickname he isn´t as quick of the dribble or even close as a shooter.
Of course he should be more than a spot up shooter but I think the better option would be more pick and roll action with him as the roll man. If he really wants to play center he needs to make basic bigman plays. Don´t think more post touches for a mediocre passer that cannot take advantage of undersized defenders are the solution.
Start with the basics and expand upon it.
Like Reply
Was anyone struck by KP's comment that the players don't know their roles?
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:10 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Was anyone struck by KP's comment that the players don't know their roles?

“We don’t have that chemistry yet that we’re looking for,” Kristaps Porzingis said. “We don’t have our roles clear. We’re just kind of out there playing. We’re a talented group, but until we have everybody playing together and having also some time off the court I think we won’t have that chemistry.”
Like Reply
^^^ Yes, I don't take it as finger pointing so much as an admission of the obvious.  I believe they will put it together here pretty soon.  Wait and see for now. (from my POV)
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 08:28 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: No response from moderators on this site Sad Account was locked out for a long time and no easy way to reset. Had to tweak the username. 

I as a Mod never got any notification...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:17 AM)Hypermav Wrote: ^^^ Yes, I don't take it as finger pointing so much as an admission of the obvious.  I believe they will put it together here pretty soon.  Wait and see for now. (from my POV)

seemed he was mad about injury recovery, covid, and lack of proper training camp and more normal practices...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-28-2021, 09:13 AM)Hypermav Wrote: “We don’t have that chemistry yet that we’re looking for,” Kristaps Porzingis said. “We don’t have our roles clear. We’re just kind of out there playing. We’re a talented group, but until we have everybody playing together and having also some time off the court I think we won’t have that chemistry.”

If the players really aren't clear what their roles are, there is a problem somewhere. Most of these guys were here last season, and their roles don't seem to have changed in any dramatic fashion. Is it that their roles vary with the opponent, or even with the lineup? In KP's case, is he confused what he is supposed to do if he's playing PF rather than C? Are their roles still being tinkered with?

Carlisle has a history of being very particular about making sure players understand what their roles within the team are. He has talks with them, posts the high points of their roles on their lockers, etc. Is the coaching staff falling down on the job this season?

I don't want to read more into it than is warranted, but that seems like (1) a devastating thing for a player to say 18 games in, and (2) a very bad situation to exist, if it's true. I don't recall another NBA player making a statement like that publicly, although maybe some have. Not sure what, if anything, to make of it.
Like Reply