Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't Josh Richardson be that guy?
Love Richardson.  Love the fit.  I was scared of losing him while we chased Giannis.  I dont think he's going anywhere now unless something catastrophic happens this year.

To me Luka, KP, JRich, Maxi are definite long term pieces. (even if Maxi isn't starting with them)

Still think we need a guy between KP and JRich to be a legit top 3-5 title contender every year. (although that may change if Lebron ever gets old)
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 04:15 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Still think we need a guy between KP and JRich to be a legit top 3-5 title contender every year. (although that may change if Lebron ever gets old)

Agree. They should get that guy until this TDL.
Like Reply
JRich was definitely that long-hanging fruit piece I was asking for this offseason - a player who would be the third-best player on the team. Not quite the third-best player on a championship team, but a very good acquisition picked up on great value. His fit in terms of defense, offense, age, and personality are phenomenal. Here's a guy who deserves THJ money.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 06:03 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: His fit in terms of defense, offense, age, and personality are phenomenal. Here's a guy who deserves THJ money.

I concur. 

Good for the Mavs that he's coming off of a down year in Philly. Even if this year goes perfectly for him, I think he's going to get a reasonable deal next summer.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 12:01 PM)Tyler Wrote: We'll see. We were told JRich was a bad fit in Philly because he couldn't shoot at a high enough clip, and so far in Dallas he's 8 of 10 from deep. It will be interesting to watch how the different systems affect both players.

Well not exactly because the Philly system is changing too.  JRich is more likely to be resigned in Dallas though while Curry has contract time left for Philly to bank.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 07:04 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Well not exactly because the Philly system is changing too.

I concur.
Like Reply
Philly has to build differently because Simmons is a spacing obliterater, so getting outstanding shooters around him is an absolute necessity. Luka on the other hand is a spacing god who allows average shooters to have career years.

I view Simmons as kind of a nega-Luka: a guy who greatly enhances your defense by being able to guard 5 positions, but destroys your half-court offense because he is literally incapable of scoring outside of 2 feet from the basket.
Like Reply
JRich has given me two plates of crow. Keep them coming, Josh, keep them coming.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 07:58 PM)cow Wrote: JRich has given me two plates of crow.  Keep them coming, Josh, keep them coming.

How so? What were you wrong about with him? I can't remember.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 07:57 PM)Branduil Wrote: Philly has to build differently because Simmons is a spacing obliterater, so getting outstanding shooters around him is an absolute necessity. Luka on the other hand is a spacing god who allows average shooters to have career years.

I view Simmons as kind of a nega-Luka: a guy who greatly enhances your defense by being able to guard 5 positions, but destroys your half-court offense because he is literally incapable of scoring outside of 2 feet from the basket.

Depends on the way he is used. As the secondary ballhandler on the perimeter he is terrible. As the main ballhandler he was solid. Especially when Embiid was out.
I would love to see Simmons as a small ball center. Or next to a true stretch 5.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 10:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Depends on the way he is used. As the secondary ballhandler on the perimeter he is terrible. As the main ballhandler he was solid. Especially when Embiid was out.
I would love to see Simmons as a small ball center. Or next to a true stretch 5.
I think that's the only way Simmons can work on offense. The question is how good you can be as a team built entirely around Simmons. I think you'd need lots of elite off-ball shooters at the very least.
Like Reply
It is always amazing to me how much Luka gets a pass on being a bad 3pt shooter.  I mean, if you are a highlight watcher, you just see his amazing step back 3's every time.  But he shot <32% and he shot like 9 of those a game.  Just horrific.  If any other player on the mavs did that, we would have torches and pitchforks out.  Simmons at least has the good sense not to shoot them.  lol.  That is a bit overdramatic, but seriously, Luka is worse than Ricky freaking Rubio from 3.  

Where Luka does his damage is breaking down the defense, taking his time, and making smart plays in the paint - either scoring, or setting up teammates for open looks.  He has amazing gravity and then the intuition, vision, and skill to make the right play.  Ben simmons is more like Luka than you realize - he just has Embiid sitting in the place where he wants to operate, calling for the ball.  That is why he (and they) look great when Embiid sits.

Before I get banned for this comment, I still believe that Luka can one day become average at shooting the 3.  But so far, he has been only slightly better than Westbrook has been for his career. 

Philly's offense will look much different  this year.  I think they overreacted and will realize that Jrich could do a passible job shooting and that Curry will be a bit of a liability on D that he has always been.  I hope he is healthy though. I root for Seth.
Like Reply
(12-17-2020, 12:36 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Philly's offense will look much different  this year.  I think they overreacted and will realize that Jrich could do a passible job shooting and that Curry will be a bit of a liability on D that he has always been.  I hope he is healthy though. I root for Seth.
I mean they probably hope that Doc Rivers is a massive upgrade over Brett Brown, and Simmons/Embiid fit was never the real issue. I personally don't see it. And regarding JRich 3 pt %. What happened to JJ in a Sixers jersey? I thought Simmons is such an elite passer?

39.7 % (last Sixers season)
40.7 % (total on the Sixers)
44 % (4 seasons with the Clippers before the Sixers)
45.3 % (Pelicans last season)
Like Reply
Simmons is a good passer.  He isn't elite.  But in the half court with Embiid on the floor, he is forced onto the perimeter too often.  For obvious reasons, he should never be there.  And that messes up spacing and guys don't have to come off their man as much - meaning many more contested shots.  If Ben had KP vs Embiid, it would be MUCH better.  I actually expect Doc to make it work much better than Brown did.  I think he was trash as a coach.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 04:15 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Love Richardson.  Love the fit.  I was scared of losing him while we chased Giannis.  I dont think he's going anywhere now unless something catastrophic happens this year.

To me Luka, KP, JRich, Maxi are definite long term pieces. (even if Maxi isn't starting with them)

Still think we need a guy between KP and JRich to be a legit top 3-5 title contender every year. (although that may change if Lebron ever gets old)
If JRich is the borderline all star I think he could be (basically a Middleton caliber player), then we don't need a third star, but I do think we would probably another player of a similar caliber to JRich to be a championship level team IMO. Someone like Aaron Gordon in the starting lineup replacing THJ if they all gel and play up to their potential I think is a lineup that can win a chip.
Like Reply
(12-17-2020, 06:28 AM)Dundalis Wrote: If JRich is the borderline all star I think he could be (basically a Middleton caliber player), then we don't need a third star, but I do think we would probably another player of a similar caliber to JRich to be a championship level team IMO. Someone like Aaron Gordon in the starting lineup replacing THJ if they all gel and play up to their potential I think is a lineup that can win a chip.

I think you are correct - we are going to love J-Rich on this team.  I too would like to see us upgrade THJ w/AG and slide F-S down to SF.  But at what cost?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/westset0/status/1339750493522853889
Like Reply
What will it take to resign J-Rich next season if he opts out?
Like Reply
(12-18-2020, 10:54 PM)chaparral Wrote: What will it take to resign J-Rich next season if he opts out?

If he is the player we expect him to be. A lot. Hopefully not a OPJ like contract but that´s the best comparisation. Personally I would be really happy if the Mavs can resign him on a contract in the 4/80-90 range.
Like Reply
Josh Richardson questions:
  • Does the front office reboot mean another chance for JRich in Dallas?
  • Do Nico and Kidd decide that JRich just suffered from not fitting with Rick?
  • Do we think he looks like he could be a player for another coach and that covid/scheme/coach were the problems last season?
  • Is JRich set on leaving because of his experience with the team last season? If the Mavs want him, is the relationship salvageable? 
Like Reply