Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't Josh Richardson be that guy?
(06-29-2021, 01:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I thought he looked really good on defense in the first few games (prior to COViD and KPs comeback). Post COVID comeback I  did not notice a difference between him and any other defender on the floor. Would actually say that Doncic and THJ both played better defense.

No argument here. Exactly what I saw as well. 

And from my seat he never got ANY better as the season wore on OR in the playoffs. VERY concerning to me. Could COVID be the whole thing? Maybe, but feels unlikely from my seat. He seemed to be making poor decisions and closeouts constantly. It didn't look like a guy making the "right" play but just being a "step slow."
Like Reply
(06-29-2021, 02:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No argument here. Exactly what I saw as well. 

And from my seat he never got ANY better as the season wore on OR in the playoffs. VERY concerning to me. Could COVID be the whole thing? Maybe, but feels unlikely from my seat. He seemed to be making poor decisions and closeouts constantly. It didn't look like a guy making the "right" play but just being a "step slow."

@"KillerLeft"  already mentioned it. I think they tried to prevent another "Wright situation". Leaving him in the starting lineup despite better knowledge (analytics?). Come playoff time they had to go with the best possible lineup and he lost his spot.
Like Reply
(06-29-2021, 02:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It didn't look like a guy making the "right" play but just being a "step slow."

Yeah, that was my thing.  He just didn't look like a good enough athlete to be a high level defender to me.   He got by on length, but he didn't have the footspeed to stay in front of players to be a high level perimeter defender.   At least not the Mavs version.    Maybe that was COVID related.    At the same time, maybe that was the reason why he fell into the 2nd round.   He played in the SEC for four years, not some obscure Euro developmental league where he could slip through the cracks of the collective NBA scouting braintrust.
Like Reply
To me he falls into the category of good basketball player but not great at anything in particular. The idea was he was going to be that 2nd lockdown defender to go with Finney. 

Neither of them are true lockdown defenders, but Finney’s defense is quality and his game has become so well rounded to go with it. Josh IMO, has potential to find himself in a Finney type role off the bench.

It would take him choosing to rehab his career knowing it would be from a bench position. Which I don’t think is a lot to ask of him. I think he has his head on straight. 

So if he’s in I don’t mind a wait n see approach compared with forcing him out for a loss on assets.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply